Aldeer.com

Price per Acre in St.Clair County

Posted By: hemiman40

Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/12/13 03:34 PM

A buddy and I have come across a 121 acre piece of property that we are working on leasing. The owner is an elderly lady and the property has not been hunted in several years (when it was it was coon hunters). The landowner asked my buddy what he thought was a reasonable price per acre. I have only dealt with paper company land in the past and am looking for some input before we meet with the landowner. Thanks to all
Posted By: Deer_Gals

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/12/13 04:52 PM

I did a search on Rayonier site and didn't find any property to compare in St Clair Co but I did see 115 acres in Fayette Co. for $920… I hope this helps or at least gives you an idea.
Posted By: WaYnE4AU

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/12/13 05:06 PM

Soterra land is around 7 in St clair I think.
Posted By: cdcrosshunt

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/12/13 07:22 PM

The biggest thing is to pay enough that the landowner is happy. I lease land in St. Clair from private landowners as well as timber company. I pay $5.00 an acre on one tract $6.00 on another tract and a little over $7.00 an acre from timber company.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/12/13 07:56 PM

Go to the AFOA website. They have all the average prices by county. PM me and I'll email it to you if you want.

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 07:33 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. We were discussing initially offering $5 per acre and see where it goes. I hope to land this property, only 15 miles from my door! I believe the responses warrant that offer. Thanks again!
Posted By: theolgoat

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 05:11 PM

Let me tell you my dads dealings with an elderly old lady awhile back. Pretty much the same situation you're in. He made an offer of around 3.50 or 4 dollars an acre. That old lady didn't hunt her son didn't hunt but either someone in their family or someone they knew did hunt. Timber company land was going for around 5 or 5.50 an acre in that area and whoever they knew told them that. Needless to say she leased the land to someone else, the same land that hadn't been hunted in years and told my dad that he tried to rip her off. So my advice to you is pay what the timber company is leasing an acre for and run a copy of price per acre off to show her what it's going for in that area. 1.50 or 2 dollars an acre on a tract that small isn't going to make a big enough difference to matter, and with it being so close to your house you'll probably make it up in the gas you save.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 08:32 PM

Good advice goat.
Posted By: WaYnE4AU

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 08:34 PM

The goat is right. I would pay more for private owned land than timber company land anyday!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 09:22 PM

Give her at least $1,000, if the land is any good.
Posted By: spy

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/13/13 09:58 PM

Pay 8.00 now from private land owner.

Re: Price per Acre in St.Clair County - 08/15/13 08:12 AM

Thanks goat, that's the conclusion we came too. The AFOA sheet only listed one property and it was $5 acre. Your right, any extra $ spent will be made up in gas savings. The landowner gave us permission to run some cameras before we have signed the lease, so putting 1/2 a dozen out Saturday morning. We walked it last weekend, lots of white oaks w/acorns, just didn't see a lot of buck sign. The best part is, there are 50 acres that adjoin it whose is a friend of my buddies. We can also hunt his 50 acres for simply working his existing food plots. Thanks for all the advice guys, hopefully we can nail it down next week and get to work.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM