Aldeer.com

Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF

Posted By: Jack Fate

Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 06:13 PM

I just received my July issue of AON magazine. I thumb through and what do I find? Beginning on page 28, there is an article describing how employees of the WFF are hunting and killing does at night, with the aid of spotlights. There is even a picture of this occuring in the magazine. They are doing this in the name of finding out when the does have been bred in a n effort to extend deer seasons in more counties.

Is this legal?

Section 9-11-231 allows for the collection of protected wild animals for scientific purposes by obtaining a permit from the Commisioner, but it doesn't say that the other game laws may be broken to do this.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 06:22 PM

I'm sure it's okay, because they only shot does mad
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 06:50 PM

People would be shocked at how many were killed by hired guns last Summer at Bellefonte Nuclear Plant. Won't let them be hunted in season, but will hire gunslingers to shoot them in summer. These deer were killed for crowd control, not fetal studies.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 07:05 PM

USDA holds "Scientific collection" permits that they use to shoot deer at night to reduce population numbers on specific properties. They do this without notifing the Montgomery DCNR office or the local GWs. Since when does population reduction and scientific collection mean the same thing??? Since when do we allow the Federal government (USDA) to kill Alabama resident game (DEER) at the request of private enterprises with the knowledge of DCNR???
Posted By: REALTREEZ71

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 07:07 PM

Game Warden and biologist have been doing this around here on private farms that are on state regulated management programs for a while around here. I know of them doing at least 10-15 years ago.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
USDA holds "Scientific collection" permits that they use to shoot deer at night to reduce population numbers on specific properties. They do this without notifing the Montgomery DCNR office or the local GWs. Since when does population reduction and scientific collection mean the same thing??? Since when do we allow the Federal government (USDA) to kill Alabama resident game (DEER) at the request of private enterprises with the knowledge of DCNR???

Wow! I had not heard of this going on either. I don't think scientific collection has anything to do with population control either.

Question though..how did they get the permit if they haven't notified Montgomery? Or did they just permit themselves?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: REALTREEZ71
Game Warden and biologist have been doing this around here on private farms that are on state regulated management programs for a while around here. I know of them doing at least 10-15 years ago.

Doesn't make it legal though.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 09:19 PM

It's perfectly legal............till Mr Green Jeans shows up laugh
Posted By: 49er

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 09:27 PM

Code of Alabama 1975

Section 9-2-6
Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources - Powers and duties generally.

All functions and duties of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall be exercised by the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources acting by himself or by and through such administrative divisions or such officers or employees as he may designate. The Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources shall have all power and authority necessary or convenient to carry out the functions and duties of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. In the performance of such functions and duties and in the exercise of such powers and authorities, the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources and all other officers and employees of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall, however, be subject to all legal restrictions, limitations and conditions and penalties, civil and criminal, with respect to the performance of such functions and duties and the exercise of such powers and authorities.

(Acts 1939, No. 162, p. 255, § 7; Code 1940, T. 8, §6.)
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 09:39 PM

How in the heck are they going to get conception dates without killing does?
They have a key to our place and we hope they get the 10 does for a study from us or another place or 2.
Pretty hard to get this information based on a guess.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 10:09 PM

How do y'all think some fetal conception studies are done? Magic? Vaginal probes and sonar down at the Whitetail Clinic?

Been going on a long time throughout the state.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
How in the heck are they going to get conception dates without killing does?
They have a key to our place and we hope they get the 10 does for a study from us or another place or 2.
Pretty hard to get this information based on a guess.

If you want to do something that is against the law, you either get the law changed to allow it or you violate the law and become a criminal.

How hard is that to understand?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
How do y'all think some fetal conception studies are done? Magic? Vaginal probes and sonar down at the Whitetail Clinic?

Been going on a long time throughout the state.

We expect them to be done within the law like everything else.

Nothing magic about it.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 10:29 PM

They did this as early as the early 80's in and around Prattville.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 10:29 PM

Perhaps they are within the law and y'all are making a deal about something you don't know about but think you do.

Or maybe they're just blatantly violating the law agin' like the commissioner and CAB and others have done for 40 years and no one's said boo! Oh my!

C'mon. Y'all get some common sense.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 11:01 PM

Vaginal probes, Whitetail clinic laugh

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/21/13 11:22 PM

Perhaps they are within the law and y'all are making a deal about something you don't know about but think you do.

Or maybe they're just blatantly violating the law agin' like the commissioner and CAB and others have done for 40 years and no one's said boo! Oh my!

C'mon. Y'all get some common sense.

Common sense tells me that any time a government agency is allowed to thumb its nose at the limits set for it by law we have problems that will only get worse.

The DCNR was not delegated authority to micro-manage any certain wildlife species. It is allowed by law to manage wildlife in designated wildlife management areas, and to implement special rules necessary or desirable for such management.

The attempts at micro-management of deer herds statewide by the DCNR is a recent divergence from its defined functions and duties in the law:

Quote:
Section 9-11-301
Fixing of boundaries; promulgation of special rules and regulations for management and protection of areas.

The Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources is authorized to fix such boundaries and promulgate such special rules and regulations for the management and protection of wildlife management areas as may be necessary or desirable. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, he is specifically authorized to set up for any wildlife management area special open and closed seasons on game animals, game birds and fish, to establish the amount of the fees to be collected for the privilege of hunting and fishing during any open season, to collect such fees and to authorize their collection by designated employees of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, to require the possession of a special permit when hunting or fishing within wildlife management areas, and to limit the number of permits to be issued during any open season to such members as he may direct.

(Acts 1939, No. 668, p. 1061, §2; Code 1940, T. 8, §110(2).)

Quote:
… We recognize that "interpretations of an act by the administrative agency charged with its enforcement, though not conclusive, are to be given great weight by the reviewing court." Hulcher v. Taunton, 388 So. 2d 1203, 1206 (Ala. 1980). However, "[a]n administrative agency cannot usurp legislative powers or contravene a statute." Ex parte Jones Mfg. Co., 589 So. 2d 208, 210 (Ala. 1991).

"An administrative interpretation of long standing is normally entitled to favorable consideration by the courts, but `... this rule of construction is to be laid aside where it seems reasonably certain that the administrator's interpretation has been erroneous and that a different construction is required by the language of the statute.'Boswell v. Abex Corp., 294 Ala. 334, 336, 317 So. 2d 317, 318 (1975)."

Sand Mountain Bank v. Albertville Nat'l Bank, 442 So. 2d 13, 18 (Ala. 1983). In this case, the language of the applicable statutory provisions conflicts with Lambert's implicit interpretation of those provisions. Therefore, the language of the statutory provisions must prevail. Id.

PLEASURE ISLAND v. SHPDA 38 So. 3d 739 - Ala: Court of Civil Appeals 2008

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Jack Fate

Doesn't make it legal though.

As quoted above:

Quote:
"An administrative interpretation of long standing is normally entitled to favorable consideration by the courts, but `... this rule of construction is to be laid aside where it seems reasonably certain that the administrator's interpretation has been erroneous and that a different construction is required by the language of the statute.'Boswell v. Abex Corp., 294 Ala. 334, 336, 317 So. 2d 317, 318 (1975)."

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 12:14 AM

The exceptions that were written by our legislature are contained within the statute itself.

Where is the exception to hunt alligators at night?

Where is the constitutional amendment that authorizes a lottery to determine who may hunt alligators at night?

Where does the statute define legal hunting hours as "daylight hours only" as stated in the Commissioner's publications?

Code of Alabama 1975

Quote:
Section 9-11-235
Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals, raccoons or opossums at night; nighttime hunting of foxes with dogs.

It shall be unlawful, except as to trapping as otherwise provided by law, for a person to take, capture, or kill, or attempt to take, capture, or kill any bird or animal protected by the laws of this state between sunset and daylight of the following day, except that the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may by a duly promulgated regulation, allow the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums between sunset and daylight in any county or counties within the state. In any county where the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums is permitted during nighttime hours by regulations of the commissioner, the animals may only be legally taken with the use of a light and/or a shotgun using shot no larger than number eight, and the person or persons so hunting shall be accompanied by a dog or dogs and, if hunting on the lands of another, shall have the written permission of the landowner.

Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished for the first offense by a fine of not less than two thousand dollars ($2,000) nor more than three thousand dollars ($3,000) and may be imprisoned in the county jail for a period not to exceed six months. In addition, the court shall revoke all hunting license privileges for a period of three years from the date of conviction.

No provision of this section shall be construed to prohibit the nighttime hunting of foxes with dogs.

(Acts 1935, No. 383, p. 813, §5; Code 1940, T. 8, §86; Acts 1949, No. 662, p. 1026, §1; Acts 1953, No. 767, p. 1028, §1; Acts 1982, No. 82-488, p. 811, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-215, p. 252, §2; Act 2008-384, p. 714, §1.)

Are you getting my drift here , Clem??
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:09 AM

I don't have a problem with shooting a few does in the summer for scientific purposes like conception dates, but it seems THEY LOSE THE COLLECTED INFORMATION EVERY DANG YEAR. You would think in 30 or so years they would know what the approximate breeding dates are in each area, or they could just ask ask 10 or so hunters and they could tell them.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:32 AM

quit it Eddie....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:46 AM

Timbercruiser, you may be right on losing some info. But, there are massive areas in the state that have never been sampled. And the confusion on what the WFF is (and I don't know) may be coming across as some separate entity from the state DCNR. The samples I know about are being done by state employed biologists.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:24 AM

Timbercruiser, there is no lost data. If we gathered it, then we have it. The reason we continue to conduct more studies is because there are areas of the state with no data at all. The public asked for this. You want data, so we are getting it.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:26 AM

Also, we conduct the repro surveys only on lands we have permission to be, or on WMAs. I haven't read the AON article. Who was the author?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:56 AM

Waaaa! DCNR doesn't do anything! They don't have data! They should be doing research! Waaaaaa!

Waaaa! DCNR is breaking their laws and thumbing their nose! They shouldn't be doing this! They should be doing things like everyone else! Research bad! Waaaaaa!

Goes on throughout the country. Round up all the state agencies and throw them in the prison.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:56 AM

Also, we do work under a permit no different than a depredation permit issued to landowners to kill deer at night on their own property, except we are gaining very valuable reproduction data that you can not get by asking hunters. Asking 10 hunters when peak breeding occurs in an area is about useless. You'll get 7 different answers, maybe more.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:07 AM

I'm predicting 7 pages, of which 4 will be copy/paste by 9er.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
Asking 10 hunters when peak breeding occurs in an area is about useless. You'll get 10 different answers, maybe more.

Fixed it for ya Matt..... lol
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:46 AM

They have been doing the same thing here in la. for as long as I can remember. Heck when I was in high school I was good friends with the head honcho at the NWR down the road from my house and I would go with them some nights. They would shoot does and occasionally they would shoot a few mature bucks to test for disease. That's when I realized how many nice bucks were out there in the marshes that you never saw in the daylite.
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
I don't have a problem with shooting a few does in the summer for scientific purposes like conception dates, but it seems THEY LOSE THE COLLECTED INFORMATION EVERY DANG YEAR. You would think in 30 or so years they would know what the approximate breeding dates are in each area, or they could just ask ask 10 or so hunters and they could tell them.

Agree

Its stupid killing deer at night during the summer.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 12:04 PM

Where are yall getting this idea the data is lost?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 12:53 PM

Where are yall getting this idea the data is lost?

I'd like to know that one myself. confused

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rackhunter'
Originally Posted By: timbercruiser

Agree

Its stupid killing deer at night during the summer.

Summer and late spring is the time they are pregnant. Night time is about the only time deer are going to be moving in hot weather. confused

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 02:10 PM

Also, we do work under a permit no different than a depredation permit issued to landowners to kill deer at night on their own property, except we are gaining very valuable reproduction data that you can not get by asking hunters. Asking 10 hunters when peak breeding occurs in an area is about useless. You'll get 7 different answers, maybe more.

Depredation permits are a creation of the DCNR, not our legislature. The DCNR has no authority to violate laws.

Our legislature authorized the Commissioner, by law, to open seasons for antlerless deer where depredation of crops occurs.

Quote:
Section 9-11-240
Opening of season for hunting, etc., of female deer and unantlered male deer.

Any law of the State of Alabama to the contrary notwithstanding, the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources is hereby authorized to open a season in any county, area or section of the state for the hunting, taking, capturing and killing of female deer or unantlered male deer by a duly promulgated regulation when, in his best judgment, he deems it necessary for biological reasons or because of crop damage to open the season on such deer, provided this meets with the approval of the landowner or leaseholder.

(Acts 1966, Ex. Sess., No. 180, p. 213, § 1.)

How can violations of the law with DCNR permission be justified when the intent of the legislature was clearly to allow more hunting opportunities through longer seasons?

It makes no sense at all for the DCNR to close deer season in areas where populations so obviously need to be reduced, and then allow game wardens or hunters with permits to violate the law in order to reduce the population. If deer are being killed out of season and piled up to rot, then more data is not needed to justify longer seasons.

It doesn't take more "reproductive data" or "vaginal implants" to figure that one out. That kind of data is more necessary for wildlife management and manipulation of the population of the species than for its conservation.

If you've got too many deer, then you should allow hunters to do more hunting within the limits of the law.

Otherwise, we risk loss of respect for our game and fish laws and for the DCNR.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 02:32 PM

Tylenol, glass, ice, and scotch.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Stick to your 3F "wildlife farming" in Mississippi and I'll stick to preserving our right to hunt natural wildlife here in Alabama.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 02:53 PM

49er, the DCNR is not participating in any population reduction events. We do not drive around and shoot deer at night to reduce the population. We conduct repro surveys to gain valuable information that can not be gathered any other way. Please do not confuse this with any of the population reduction projects that take place in areas that are closed to hunting. We do not do that. The commissioner can issue any scientific collection permit he deems suitable, especially when it pertains to effectively managing the state's deer herd. This is a common method to collect data all over the USA.
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 02:54 PM

Waaaa! DCNR doesn't do anything! They don't have data! They should be doing research! Waaaaaa!

Waaaa! DCNR is breaking their laws and thumbing their nose! They shouldn't be doing this! They should be doing things like everyone else! Research bad! Waaaaaa!

Goes on throughout the country. Round up all the state agencies and throw them in the prison.

Wow, just Wow at the comments on this thread! shocked

You would be amazed at what a State or Fed collection permit will allow you to do. I had both for several years and could be in possession of a dead bald eagle if I could justify it.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 04:28 PM

Matt Brock,
Quote:

The DCNR depredation permit rule (220-2-.27) expressly states: "... Persons taking, capturing or killing wildlife under the provisions of this regulation shall abide by all state and local laws and ordinances."

The statutory authority cited for that rule is: Code of Ala. 1975, §§9-2-7, 9-2-8, 9-2-12

Could you share with us the statutes (and the rules if applicable) that authorize employees of the DCNR to collect and study protected wildlife in an otherwise illegal manner.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: gobbler

Wow, just Wow at the comments on this thread! shocked

You would be amazed at what a State or Fed collection permit will allow you to do. I had both for several years and could be in possession of a dead bald eagle if I could justify it.

You know how to post pictures of woods burning.

Take a picture of your permits and share them with us.

Like this:

See how you vow to abide by all laws and ordinances?

You wouldn't tell a lie and use the permit to break the law would you?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 04:55 PM

Reckon why 9-11-235 was included in the instructions for application for collection of wildlife for scientific purposes.

Hmmmm!!!

If it didn't mean anything, would they have included it?

Application instructions ** click here ***
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 05:20 PM

Why not just catch fawns to check the conception date as opposed to killing the doe and fetuses. I would think landownwers know when fawns start hitting the ground and they are pretty easy to catch for a week or so, I would also think you could use game cams to estimate size and age of fawns fairly easily if it was done right. Just some thoughts. May not be as fun as shooting them. The other thought I would have would for them to be at processors during january and xheck for fetuses in already shot does but that may make two much sense

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 05:31 PM

49er, I'm cooking supper, but I will answer your question later.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:21 PM

Ben2, I did some "collecting" before I was a GW and I can assure you there is no "FUN" in it, damn hard, nasty, hot, work.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:22 PM

Also, we conduct the repro surveys only on lands we have permission to be, or on WMAs. I haven't read the AON article. Who was the author?

Mike Bolton wrote the article. I'm sure the project is probably needed to collect data etc. The only problem I have with it is that it breaks the law to do it. If they want to do this, change the law.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
The other thought I would have would for them to be at processors during january and xheck for fetuses in already shot does but that may make two much sense

Well one problem with that is in southwest Alabama there would be no fetuses to check because our does are not bred yet.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:42 PM

Eddie and Jack, on the application for scientific collection permits the following is stated.....

Specifically, General Scientific
Collection Permits and/or State-Listed Species Scientific Collection Permits are for
collecting scientific data (1) on species for which no harvest season is provided, (2) on species
outside the provided harvest seasons and/or when such collections cannot be made during
the regular hunting, fishing or trapping seasons, or (3) by the use of equipment or by methods
not permitted under a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license.

To me, that answers your question. We are conducting scientific research on game animals during a time period in which there is no open season, and with methods that are not normally permitted. No laws are broken. Case closed.

I really don't like the use of your term "hunting" at night by WFF personnel. We aren't hunting in the sense of attempting to take game for personal use or consumption. It is legit science. And like BHAMFRED stated it is work. It isn't fun at all. It was the first time or two, but it quickly becomes work, and long hours. I don't know of anyone who enjoys getting in the truck to conduct a night-time operation. We are usually glad it is over.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:45 PM

I've never known of any WFF personell killing deer at any time for herd reduction.

USDA, however, I know of several instances of them doing so on private lands.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:48 PM

Ben, it's not that easy. We don't have the man power or hours to roam properties in search of fawns that are bedded in thick cover. Not going to happen. At the time fawns are hitting the ground they can weigh from under 3 lbs up to 9 lbs at birth. Catching a fawn is not a good way to determine when they were born. I wouldn't want to jeopardize their survival by messing with them anyway. Fetus size during the open season is so small you wouldn't be able to accurately judge their conception date. The few exceptions to this are in areas with an unusually early breeding season, like Black Warrior WMA.

Why not just catch fawns to check the conception date as opposed to killing the doe and fetuses. I would think landownwers know when fawns start hitting the ground and they are pretty easy to catch for a week or so, I would also think you could use game cams to estimate size and age of fawns fairly easily if it was done right. Just some thoughts. May not be as fun as shooting them. The other thought I would have would for them to be at processors during january and xheck for fetuses in already shot does but that may make two much sense

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 49er

You know how to post pictures of woods burning.

Take a picture of your permits and share them with us.

Like this:

See how you vow to abide by all laws and ordinances?

You wouldn't tell a lie and use the permit to break the law would you?

Would if I had seen them inside 20 years. Haven't done it in a while 9r.
Recon why this was in the definition of a "scientific collection permit":
Quote:
(3) by the use of equipment or by methods

How do you think they catch turkeys for research - cannon nets - NOT legal method
How about deer - various nets, cannon, drop and helicopter - NOT legal method
How about quail - funnel traps baited with corn and checked AFTER dark - NOT legal method
Your out of your league here

Any idea how much that would cost, how many people it would take and how unsuccessful it would be to get a large sample size? Not to mention the stress of fawns by chasing them down.

Ben2, I did some "collecting" before I was a GW and I can assure you there is no "FUN" in it, damn hard, nasty, hot, work.

You got that right - I collected June/July for several years in the late 80's and 90's under research permits as well some since. It is NO fun.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 07:03 PM

Eddie and Jack, on the application for scientific collection permits the following is stated.....

Collection Permits and/or State-Listed Species Scientific Collection Permits are for
collecting scientific data (1) on species for which no harvest season is provided, (2) on species
outside the provided harvest seasons and/or when such collections cannot be made during
the regular hunting, fishing or trapping seasons, or (3) by the use of equipment or by methods

To me, that answers your question. We are conducting scientific research on game animals during a time period in which there is no open season, and with methods that are not normally permitted. No laws are broken. Case closed.

I really don't like the use of your term "hunting" at night by WFF personnel. We aren't hunting in the sense of attempting to take game for personal use or consumption. It is legit science. And like BHAMFRED stated it is work. It isn't fun at all. It was the first time or two, but it quickly becomes work, and long hours. I don't know of anyone who enjoys getting in the truck to conduct a night-time operation. We are usually glad it is over.

grin

Who wrote that Matt?

The legislature or the commissioner?

... and who decided to define hunting as follows:

Quote:
DEFINITION OF HUNTING

Hunting includes pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing and trapping wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any device used to take wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals, wild fowl, or wild birds.

Was it our legislature or your boss?

As a peace officer of the state, the courts have stated that you are expected to know the laws you are charged with enforcing just as citizens are expected to know the laws that affect the exercise of our rights and duties.

I still have seen no persuasive evidence that collection of protected animals by DCNR employees at night for scientific purposes is excluded under C.O.A. Section 9-11-235.

Again:

Quote:
Section 9-2-6
Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources - Powers and duties generally.

... In the performance of such functions and duties and in the exercise of such powers and authorities, the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources and all other officers and employees of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall, however, be subject to all legal restrictions, limitations and conditions and penalties, civil and criminal, with respect to the performance of such functions and duties and the exercise of such powers and authorities.

And in relation to the commissioner's depredation permits:

Quote:
Section 13A-2-23
Criminal liability based upon behavior of another - Complicity.

A person is legally accountable for the behavior of another constituting a criminal offense if, with the intent to promote or assist the commission of the offense:

(1) He procures, induces or causes such other person to commit the offense; or

(2) He aids or abets such other person in committing the offense; or

(3) Having a legal duty to prevent the commission of the offense, he fails to make an effort he is legally required to make.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §415.)

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 07:12 PM

Eddie, I reckon you interpret the laws and regs different than I do. The Commissioner has said we will conduct repro surveys, and thus far we have. I have no idea who wrote it. I will follow orders until I am asked to break the law or my own personal code of ethics. As of now, according to our current laws and regs, in my belief, we are conducting legal scientific research. Take your case to the Commissioner. I can't help you any more than I have.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 07:19 PM

When did the DCNR/Commisioner receive the authority to supercede a state law? It is my understanding that they are supposed to work within the law, not above it. Like I said I do not have a problem with the basic premise of what is being done. It may be necessary thing to get an accurate picture of the conception dates, etc. but just have the law changed to allow the taking of protected animals at night.

Quote:

I also did not mean to imply that what was being done was for fun or sport. I understand it is work.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 07:41 PM

It's always been understood by the powers that be that anytime scientific collections are being conducted on any animal the methods typically referred to as illegal are used for efficiency and timeliness. Researchers are granted exceptions under current law. Obviously I am not helping either of you, so call the legislature.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 07:44 PM

Jack and Eddie if your interpretation of the laws are correct it should not be hard to find a lawyer who would not love to sue the commissioner and make a name for themselves by winning. I wonder why someone has not tried this yet with all this blatant law breaking going on.....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 08:44 PM

bigt,

Why don't you give us your interpretation then?

Start here:

Quote:
Section 9-2-6

... In the performance of such functions and duties and in the exercise of such powers and authorities, the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources and all other officers and employees of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall, however, be subject to all legal restrictions, limitations and conditions and penalties, civil and criminal, with respect to the performance of such functions and duties and the exercise of such powers and authorities.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:00 PM

I am not a lawyer and do not know all the other laws that might or might not supercede the one quoted, but if I felt as strongly as you seem to I would definitely be finding me lawyer otherwise your just pissing in the wind and nothing will change.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:11 PM

They were just ideas, I would imagine fetus size close to conception date would be the most accurate time you could measure a fetus. The longer the fetus was inside the more factors would lead to different sizes like u say the birth rates vary significantly, but weight and length near conception have to be very similar across the board. if the fetus was 6 inches long odds are u could tell dang near when it was conceived. I have killed does in 5 counties that had twin fetuses the last week of january, those counties are cullman, walker, perry, tallapoosa, and shelby.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bigt
I am not a lawyer and do not know all the other laws that might or might not supercede the one quoted, but if I felt as strongly as you seem to I would definitely be finding me lawyer otherwise your just pissing in the wind and nothing will change.

If you're too dumb to read plain English and understand what it means, then you might want to consider cutting back on giving those who can advice on what they should do.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:19 PM

49er knows his stuff I say x2 whatever he says from here on

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:23 PM

Just got my first vote to be governor folks. thumbup

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:29 PM

If you're too dumb to read plain English and understand what it means, then you might want to consider cutting back on giving those who can advice on what they should do.
There you go insulting people again........evidently you just do not have a case and just like to argue

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 09:44 PM

I have killed does in 5 counties that had twin fetuses the last week of january, those counties are cullman, walker, perry, tallapoosa, and shelby.

I have never seen a doe killed in January in Mobile County that had a fetus in it,but I have seen plenty killed in October that did.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:01 PM

bigt,

Quote:
There you go insulting people again........evidently you just do not have a case and just like to argue

I presented my case and you said you couldn't understand it because you are not a lawyer.

If you don't understand what's being discussed, then keep your pie-hole shut and try to learn something.
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:03 PM

Bigt is gonna feed 49er to his pet bears.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: jsh1904

Bigt is acting about as juvenile as Clem.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:08 PM

Never said i did not understand it........i said i did not know if there was another law or regulation that supercedes the one you quoted. If not then you have a case and should retain a lawyer. Btw I really hope we get the chance to meet one day.........i think it be fun seeing you try to shut my pie hole laugh

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:10 PM

They were just ideas, I would imagine fetus size close to conception date would be the most accurate time you could measure a fetus. The longer the fetus was inside the more factors would lead to different sizes like u say the birth rates vary significantly, but weight and length near conception have to be very similar across the board. if the fetus was 6 inches long odds are u could tell dang near when it was conceived. I have killed does in 5 counties that had twin fetuses the last week of january, those counties are cullman, walker, perry, tallapoosa, and shelby.

So you shoot one in Montgomery county on Jan 30 and it has a fertilized egg from being bred the day before (rather hard to find in the mass of guts) and shoot another that has not been bred yet. Wouldn't be much of a study. Most fetus collected in April ARE about 6" long.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:11 PM

Bigt is acting about as juvenile as Clem.

That is better than being an argumentative old coot like 49er laugh

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:12 PM

Take your pick:

Quote:
... i said i did not know if there was another law or regulation that supercedes the one you quoted.

Quote:
... I am not a lawyer and do not know all the other laws that might or might not supercede the one quoted ...

Either way, you don't belong in this discussion.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:13 PM

I just realized I have now been compared to the great Clem........I am moving up!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:16 PM

Niether do you because evidently you do not have a case or you would have already sued the commissioner!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:16 PM

I just realized I have now been compared to the great Clem........I am moving up!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:26 PM

Goodnight 49er it has been fun as usual but got to go to sleep now. Get you some rest and I hope you have a good Sunday!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:27 PM

Stick to your 3F "wildlife farming" in Mississippi and I'll stick to preserving our right to hunt natural wildlife here in Alabama.

I'm well on my way to the greatest prediction ever (7 pages, 4 copy/paste by you)

It was a great day over at the deer farm today. Love those little pets. Can't wait to grow them big and strong, baby them, nurture them and then enjoy watching them in the fall. Heck, I might even find it in my heart to shoot one!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:38 PM

I'll take juvenile over irrational, illogical, unrealistic and completely beyond comprehension.

Anyone who believes scientific data collection is "hunting at night" has an obvious problem that can't be helped.

If this were, or is, a true problem then there are thousands of attorneys and judges in the state (and nation) who should be on top of this 'crime' immediately. Those who say this activity is illegal shouldn't have a difficult time finding one to argue the case.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 10:54 PM

Couldn't find anything in the law that allows it, could you Clem?

There are at least two participants in this discussion who have been involved in enforcement of our game and fish laws who haven't shown us where there is an exception to the law either.

I supported my argument with evidence. Either show us evidence of a valid exception or sit back and accept the fact that there is not one.

Now let me destroy your little diatribe:
Quote:
... Anyone who believes scientific data collection is "hunting at night" has an obvious problem that can't be helped.

This is the applicable statute:
Quote:
Section 9-11-235
Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals, raccoons or opossums at night; nighttime hunting of foxes with dogs.

It shall be unlawful, except as to trapping as otherwise provided by law, for a person to take, capture, or kill, or attempt to take, capture, or kill any bird or animal protected by the laws of this state between sunset and daylight of the following day, except that the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may by a duly promulgated regulation, allow the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums between sunset and daylight in any county or counties within the state. ...

Learn to pay attention to what people are talking about. It helps to remain silent and learn from others if you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:01 PM

It's not hunting.

You're irrational, illogical and unrealistic.

Find a lawyer to prosecute.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:03 PM

We all have choices to make. I prefer to make my own.

I might choose a brand new 4 wheel drive pick-up instead, I don't know.

You want to got halfs?

Quote:
It's not hunting.

You're irrational, illogical and unrealistic.

I never said it was. You might want to direct your rant at whoever put this in the commissioner's Regulation Book:
Quote:
DEFINITION OF HUNTING
Hunting includes pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing and trapping wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any device used to take wild animals, wild fowl, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals, wild fowl, or wild birds.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:22 PM

I'm pretty certain a man as intelligent and knowledgeable about the Code of Alabama and DCNR's laws and regulations could find one attorney in the state to take up your claims for free. No charge. Just one who would go after such a horrendous, rogue department. Young or old. A truth-seeker. A guy who wants to make his name. A guy who wants to retire after landing that last big fish.

One. Out of thousands.

I even suggested a guy once to you, Tommy Gallion in Montgomery, who has gone after the state before and loves this kind of stuff. He'd probably listen to what you have to say.

Just one, to right the 'wrongs' of three or four decades.

But you won't do it.

Posted By: burbank

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:26 PM

I heard it was ALFA insurance and its elite team of the assassins behind the night time murder of deer.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:27 PM

Did they have a permit?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:28 PM

Did they have a permit?

Yea, but it was written with invisible ink.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/22/13 11:33 PM

Like I said, I like to make my own choices and choose my own methods.

You're not the first one I've run into that gets mad because they don't agree with my methods and I don't choose theirs.

Some day, someone with a conscious might actually show up down there and be convinced to honor their oath to support our constitutional form of government.

If you get tired of reading my posts, don't read my posts... and quit following me around the forum like you're addicted to me or something... or is this not about the NAIL? grin

Somebody else might want to learn stuff about the law. If you don't, then go read about some of the other junk.
Posted By: Tidewins

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:30 AM

I guess some people feel the laws dont or shouldnt apply to people employed by govt. Sounds like a bunch of libs on here defending overreaching done by government.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:14 AM

I'm with 49er on this one. I think it's complete bs. These permits they give out to shoot does at night in the summer is just outright wrong. There is no legal statute to allow one person to hunt out of season, at night, and then to just kill and leave laying that's a totally different can of worms.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By: burbank
I heard it was ALFA insurance and its elite team of the assassins behind the night time murder of deer.

Is this how they teach students at Auburn U to discuss issues that are important to people?

We're talking about killing game wastefully when the season has been closed to hunting as well as the legal ramifications of the methods used to "collect data" by those who are charged with enforcing the same laws they are violating.

Is your whole purpose of joining this discussion only to ridicule us for being concerned about that?

How about pointing out why you defend the practices instead of allowing more hunting opportunities as a solution to the problem or working with our legislature to eliminate conflicts with the law when legitimate purposes are invovled.

Do you have no problem committing perjury in order to use a depredation permit? Should depredation permits even be issued if the law does not provide for them?

Do you agree that feral swine and coyotes should enjoy the benefits of being classified as protected game animals and then allowed to be hunted illegally with the permission of those who are charged with enforcing our game and fish laws?

These are all valid questions that should be open for debate without baseless interference to the discussions.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:24 AM

Crop depredation permit question...... What are farmers suppose to do when deer are eating their Soy Beans? Should deer be treated like Ground hogs and shot pretty much anywhere, anytime they are in a bean field causing 1000s in damage?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Crop depredation permit question...... What are farmers suppose to do when deer are eating their Soy Beans? Should deer be treated like Ground hogs and shot pretty much anywhere, anytime they are in a bean field causing 1000s in damage?

Is the hunting season closed before those beans are planted?

Are the bag limits lower than they should be for that area?

The law allows for local adjustments when they are necessary:

Quote:
(7) To close the season of any species of game in any county or area when, upon a survey by the department, it is found necessary to the conservation and perpetuation of such species and to reopen such closed season when it is deemed advisable.

If herds of deer are destroying crops, I doubt if it would be necessary to shoot deer at night to conduct fetal surveys in order to make decisions on when to open or close the hunting season or to determine how low or high bag limits should be set.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:34 AM

Those beans are planted after deer season closes but during ground hog season. Don't see what planting time has to do with it.
2 does a day Oct 15- Jan 31. You saying you want open season year around,both sexes for deer?

Doing fetal surveys and crop depredation are 2 different issues IMO.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:36 AM

Is that what it would take to fix the problem in that particular county or area?

Local conditions determine when seasons are to be set and how high or low bag limits should be the way I read the statute.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Fetal surveys are not necessary to protect and conserve the species. That has been proven during the past 75 years.

It is important not to confuse wildlife management with conservation issues.

Quote:
Section 9-11-240
Opening of season for hunting, etc., of female deer and unantlered male deer.

Any law of the State of Alabama to the contrary notwithstanding, the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources is hereby authorized to open a season in any county, area or section of the state for the hunting, taking, capturing and killing of female deer or unantlered male deer by a duly promulgated regulation when, in his best judgment, he deems it necessary for biological reasons or because of crop damage to open the season on such deer, provided this meets with the approval of the landowner or leaseholder.

(Acts 1966, Ex. Sess., No. 180, p. 213, § 1.)

Can anyone show us how depredation permits came from this statute?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:47 AM

If herds of deer are destroying crops, I doubt if it would be necessary to shoot deer at night to conduct fetal surveys in order to make decisions on when to open or close the hunting season or to determine how low or high bag limits should be set.

Would appear the DCNR/WFF are killin' two birds with one stone. Getting data that most are screaming they don't have and need, while helping the farmer with crowd control. Win Win.
That data may very well prove useful setting seasons and bag limits.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:48 AM

Quote:
Getting data that most are screaming they don't have

Do you have any data to support that assumption?

Have the functions and duties of the Department been changed by law to reflect the will of the majority of voters?

The law already allows the commissioner plenty of room to conduct all the fetal surveys he wants on WMAs statewide as "he desires".

Quote:
Section 9-11-301
Fixing of boundaries; promulgation of special rules and regulations for management and protection of areas.

The Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources is authorized to fix such boundaries and promulgate such special rules and regulations for the management and protection of wildlife management areas as may be necessary or desirable...

That statute is as old as the Department.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:00 AM

2dogs,
Quote:
Would appear the DCNR/WFF are killin' two birds with one stone. Getting data that most are screaming they don't have and need, while helping the farmer with crowd control. Win Win.
That data may very well prove useful setting seasons and bag limits.

Six seasons after a 98 percent reduction in the bag limit for male deer? How does that work? It seems to be a little bit backwards to me. grin
Posted By: PaschalBD

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:01 AM

You know, some people take up golf or gardening or travel and see the world when they retire. I'd just as soon die the day I retire than to scour the inter web day after day looking to pick a fight with the State of Alabama.

I certainly don't like the liberal rules involved with depredation permits. The local farmer around my place has just about cleaned out our heard but my fight for enjoyment verses his fight to save his crop is futile. As Futile as 9er's fight with all things DNCR related. Good luck Eddie.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: tiderbd
You know, some people take up golf or gardening or travel and see the world when they retire. I'd just as soon die the day I retire than to scour the inter web day after day looking to pick a fight with the State of Alabama.

I certainly don't like the liberal rules involved with depredation permits. The local farmer around my place has just about cleaned out our heard but my fight for enjoyment verses his fight to save his crop is futile. As Futile as 9er's fight with all things DNCR related. Good luck Eddie.

So you have no problem with the hunting season closing and then letting the farmer do the slaughtering instead?

Should we just shut up and not talk about it?

Gotta go get ready for church now. Carry on guys. We can fix this.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:10 AM

You know I don't have a hard number. You also know if I took the time I could find plenty posts just on aldeer about lack of data. Recon what I'd find if I did a survey at the "deer shows" this summer. Don't pettifog.

Who knows, all this data collecting, DCNR might adjust the buck bag limit upward. shocked

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Bar7Mag
I'm with 49er on this one. I think it's complete bs. These permits they give out to shoot does at night in the summer is just outright wrong. There is no legal statute to allow one person to hunt out of season, at night, and then to just kill and leave laying that's a totally different can of worms.
I am not a fan of the crop damage permits. If a farmer needs his deer herd reduced he should open his land for public hunting through the use of permits and have as many deer as the law allows and is needed to be killed. That way everyone wins the farmer gets his deer killed, people get hunting access and the meat is not wasted.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:13 AM

So you have no problem with the hunting season closing and then letting the farmer do the slaughtering instead?

So we should let hunters( farmers are hunters too), hunt them year around, both sexes with no bag limits. eek

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:15 AM

I agree these belong in two separate discussions.....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:25 AM

I think 9er wants to blend the two to help his position.
Whole lota blending going on round here!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:51 AM

I've got a few minutes to respond to that.

This thread opened with a post about concerns of DCNR employees killing deer at night.

Matt responded with:
Quote:

OK 2dogs??

Why aren't ya'll getting ready for church now?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:00 AM

depredation permits to kill deer in crops...

and killing does for fetal studies....

and USDA killing deer on private property for population reduction...

ARE THREE DIFFERENT THINGS....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:03 AM

This thread opened with a post about concerns of DCNR employees killing deer at night.

Matt responded with:
Quote:

OK 2dogs??

I am .......walking out the door now. Everyone have a blessed Sunday!
Posted By: bill

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:09 AM

Matt responded with:
Quote:

OK 2dogs??

Ya know, before you got all that news coverage you mostly just defended your positions and annoyed people with post after post about the letter of the law and often times with facts to back it up. Since your semi fame you have become condescending, judgmental and arrogant. It is hard to sway people to your side if after reading your post all they see is red.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:22 AM

Eddie, my comparing fetal studies to depredation was in relation to them both being allowed by permit, not the same permit.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:32 AM

I am not a fan of the crop damage permits. If a farmer needs his deer herd reduced he should open his land for public hunting through the use of permits and have as many deer as the law allows and is needed to be killed. That way everyone wins the farmer gets his deer killed, people get hunting access and the meat is not wasted.

I think there are other ways around this.... Even if I had a problem with deer destroying my crops.... I would not let complete total strangers come onto my property and hunt deer. Permits or not.... The public can be a harsh and destructive crowd.... and I don't mean just on the deer....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:37 AM

Matt responded with:
Quote:

OK 2dogs??

How you know we aren't?
Church service times vary, and some of us it doesn't take all mornin' to get ready.
You're too slow, you could get ready quicker if you didn't cut n paste so much.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 10:25 AM

True- talker
Surely the farmer could through local church groups and local hunters be able to allow enough hunting to get the deer herd under control in a more acceptable manner.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 11:33 AM

True- talker
Surely the farmer could through local church groups and local hunters be able to allow enough hunting to get the deer herd under control in a more acceptable manner.

It seems like to me these farmers don't know enough people to help..... Or either they don't trust the people around them....

If it was that easy for them to get hunters to kill the deer for them I would imagine these farmers wouldn't be requesting these permits.... Or else the farmers have their own agendas.... meat in the freezer... etc.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 11:34 AM

I don't know if it was done strictly to reduce population or for studies but when my mother lived right by the Eufaula NWR I know that atleast once she received a letter in the mail telling her that if she heard gunshots at night on a certain that they were doing it on the NWR. Cant remember for sure but I think it said for population reduction. Which to me is odd to have a archery only place then go in after season and shoot deer at night with guns.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: LIOJeff
I don't know if it was done strictly to reduce population or for studies but when my mother lived right by the Eufaula NWR I know that atleast once she received a letter in the mail telling her that if she heard gunshots at night on a certain that they were doing it on the NWR. Cant remember for sure but I think it said for population reduction. Which to me is odd to have a archery only place then go in after season and shoot deer at night with guns.

Oak Mtn Park did the same thing......

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:18 PM

There are at least two participants in this discussion who have been involved in enforcement of our game and fish laws who haven't shown us where there is an exception to the law either.

What I find laughable is you are neither one of those having EVER been involved with enforcement, rulemaking, NOR research using those
Quote:
equipment or by methods
to conduct scientific research, though, in your mind, you are the expert here. You're a joke! laughup

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:23 PM

2 different issues - one is depredation permits to reduce the population, NOT done by biologists and game wardens employed by the State. The other is SCIENTIFIC collection permits to collect biological data to help manage the States wildlife resource and IS done by Biologists and game wardens employed by the State.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:42 PM

gobbler, like me, you knew better..... laugh

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:44 PM

goobler,

It doesn't take an expert to understand that the same DCNR application form that I shared here from which your quote was taken contains the very same law that prohibits taking protected animals at night. The statute contains no exception for collections involving scientific research.

Perhaps an exception should be included in the law, but it is not there.

Your attempt to show "proof" that taking protected animals for scientific research is a valid exception "between sunset and daylight of the following day" is the joke.

Your "proof" is not persuasive. Persuade your legislators to change the law.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 12:50 PM

goobler,
Quote:
2 different issues - one is depredation permits to reduce the population, NOT done by biologists and game wardens employed by the State. The other is SCIENTIFIC collection permits to collect biological data to help manage the States wildlife resource and IS done by Biologists and game wardens employed by the State.

You're not reading the whole thread. We've already covered your failing attempt to except DCNR employees from the scope of the law.

Since you want to bypass the proof I've already furnished, I'll post it here again for quick reference:

Quote:
Section 9-2-6

For what it's worth, neither a collection permit nor a depredation permit can authorize violations of the law.

Only the legislature can authorize the actions these permits pretend to authorize.

Quote:
... "When legislative power is delegated to administrative officials it is constitutionally required that adequate guides and standards be established by the delegating legislative body so that the administrative officials, appointed by the executive and not elected by the people, will not legislate, but will find and apply facts in a particular case in accordance with the policy established by the legislative body." (Emphasis in original.)
Comm'n on Med. Discipline v. Stillman, 435 A. 2d 747 - Md: Court of Appeals 1981

Timmons v. City of Montgomery, 641 So. 2d 1263 - Ala: Court of Criminal Appeals 1993

Quote:
... If we assume that this is a sufficient cause, we allow the legislature to delegate to an administrative official the power to determine when and if a statute will go into effect. This we cannot do in light of Art. IV, § 44 of the Alabama Constitution, which provides: "The legislative power of this state shall be vested in a legislature, which shall consist of a senate and a house of representatives." Mead v. Eagerton, 255 Ala. 66, 50 So.2d 253 (1951).

Druid City Hospital Bd. v. Epperson, 378 So. 2d 696 - Ala: Supreme Court 1979

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:04 PM

Eddie, would you repeat what you have said?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:08 PM

Probably.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:09 PM

Maybe it would make everyone feel better about the situation if they just publically posted the data collected.
For example;
Perry co fetus survey:
June 1st-19th 2012
10 deer shot
8 does killed
3 :no fetuses
1 :3 fetuses
4 :2 fetuses
1 buck accidentally shot
1 deer shot and not recovered

Now I am thinking how much more this may upset the masses, deer that are shot and not recovered would be much more prone to infection and a painful slow death during the hot summer months. Also I imagine hunting at night increases the potential for poor shots, why not just do the harvesting In Daylight like normal hunters. On the other hand if they hunt all summer at night maybe the deer will move more in the daytime come deer season smile

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:15 PM

Why not try something like this first:

To:

House: AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY
Chad Fincher, Steve Hurst,; Richard Lindsey Donnie Chesteen, Randy Davis, Joe Faust, Dexter Grimsley, Paul Lee, A.J. McCampbell
Subcommittee, Sporting Issues: Randy Davis, Chair; Donnie Chesteen, Richard Lindsey, Joe Faust, A.J. McCampbell

Senate: AGRICULTURE, CONSERVATION AND FORESTRY

Whatley, Glover, Beasley, Bussman , Keahey, McGill, Sanford, Scofield, Singleton, Williams

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Members of the Legislature:

Please consider an amendment to Code of Alabama 1975, 9-11-235 as indicated below:

“It shall be unlawful, except as to trapping as otherwise provided by law, for a person to take, capture, or kill, or attempt to take, capture, or kill any bird or animal protected by the laws of this state between sunset and daylight of the following day, except that the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may by a duly promulgated regulation, allow the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums between sunset and daylight in any county or counties within the state, or for the collection of members of any species of protected wildlife for scientific purposes as allowed by permit issued by the Commissioner …”

Sincerely,

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:20 PM

one BIG reason that DCNR dosen't go to the legislature for law changes is because they(DCNR) have no control over what the idiots in the legislature write into the law, change about the law, or any damn thing else. It ain't so simple eddie.

YOU'RE the one so worried and apparently have the time so why don't YOU address the "problem"????

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 01:52 PM

one BIG reason that DCNR dosen't go to the legislature for law changes is because they(DCNR) have no control over what the idiots in the legislature write into the law, change about the law, or any damn thing else. It ain't so simple eddie.

YOU'RE the one so worried and apparently have the time so why don't YOU address the "problem"????

I've tried more than once troy.

Problem is, me and Allen Farley were on opposite sides of the gun control bill he helped pass this year, so he don't like me anymore... probably never did.

Greg Reed has never been much of a representative. To represent, you need to communicate. He won't.

The others expect me to go through the people I vote for. I just covered that.

I was thinking maybe somebody in the districts of the members of the applicable committees might have a better chance. It's not that I've been scared or lazy... it's more like I've already made them mad by pointing out things that need attention, so I'm not on their list of people they listen to.

Funny how that happens ain't it?

If there's a biologist that has concerns over violating the law while doing his job, he could probably get some needed attention from legislators. Of course the obvious one to get the law changed is the Commissioner, but he thinks there are no limits to his power, so it don't matter to him.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:17 PM

I agree and concur, the legislature could screw up a.........

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:29 PM

Bottom line:

We should all just do just like the DCNR people do ...

if the law doesn't fit our plans, ignore it and do what we want to do anyhow.

Quote from Justice Louis D. Brandeis, US Supreme Court

Olmstead v. United States, 277 US 438 - Supreme Court 1928

MR. JUSTICE BRANDEIS, dissenting.:
Quote:
... "The government is the potent omnipresent teacher. For good or ill it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that the end justifies the means -- to declare that the government may commit crimes -- would bring terrible retribution."

Olmstead v US *** click here ****

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:44 PM

With so much BS flying around, it becomes hard to resist grin

Also trying to fulfill 3FFarms prediction shocked

Also I imagine hunting at night increases the potential for poor shots, why not just do the harvesting In Daylight like normal hunters.

Actually, just the opposite is true in my experience. Sandbags, a stable rest, observers with binoculars to verify ID and range, and very focused in a light. Much higher recovery and kill rate per shot than normal hunting. Also much easier to collect multiple per hour than standard "hunting". If most researchers don't enjoy doing it, then why do you think they do it at night - MUCH higher success per unit effort.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:51 PM

Bottom line:

We should all just do just like the DCNR people do ...

if the law doesn't fit our plans, ignore it and do what we want to do anyhow.

Quote from Justice Louis D. Brandeis, US Supreme Court

Olmstead v. United States, 277 US 438 - Supreme Court 1928

MR. JUSTICE BRANDEIS, dissenting.:
Quote:
... "The government is the potent omnipresent teacher. For good or ill it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that the end justifies the means -- to declare that the government may commit crimes -- would bring terrible retribution."

Olmstead v US *** click here ****

What's actually sad Eddie is that in many, I would actually say MOST, arguments you present on here, I am on your side, although you would never admit it and do your best to point out any minute differences. But on issues like this you loose all common sense. Stick to high impact issues that you are CLEARLY right on and you might win folks over. MY $.02

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:56 PM

thumbup Gob.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 02:57 PM

I agree and concur, the legislature could screw up a.........

The legislature don't close hunting seasons and then call in their troops to kill the droves of deer that are left and forbid them from being used for food by the shooters ...

How screwed up is that?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 03:09 PM

goobler,
Quote:
What's actually sad Eddie is that in many, I would actually say MOST, arguments you present on here, I am on your side, although you would never admit it and do your best to point out any minute differences. But on issues like this you loose all common sense. Stick to high impact issues that you are CLEARLY right on and you might win folks over. MY $.02

We don't see eye to eye.

I don't think it makes sense to put people like Matt Brock in the position of choosing to break the law or doing his job effectively in a manner that does no public harm. That's his choice now whether he agrees with me or not.

There is no reason for it.

Neither do I think honest hunters should be required to commit perjury in order to obtain permission to rid their properties of nuisance animals when the Commissioner chooses to classify those nuisance animals as game animals.

The Commissioner designates protected animals, and he can remove coyotes and feral pigs from that classification with a stroke of his pen. Instead, he causes them to be protected by law and then turns his head when the law is violated.

That flies in the face of all common sense, yet you defend it.

I'm not the one not using common sense here.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 03:32 PM

With so much BS flying around, it becomes hard to resist grin

Also trying to fulfill 3FFarms prediction shocked

Also I imagine hunting at night increases the potential for poor shots, why not just do the harvesting In Daylight like normal hunters.

Actually, just the opposite is true in my experience. Sandbags, a stable rest, observers with binoculars to verify ID and range, and very focused in a light. Much higher recovery and kill rate per shot than normal hunting. Also much easier to collect multiple per hour than standard "hunting". If most researchers don't enjoy doing it, then why do you think they do it at night - MUCH higher success per unit effort.

I am calling bull, no way you can see another deer that may be 20 yards behind the one you are shooting at night, not like you could in daylight. Same goes for seeing a stick or limb that may deflect the bullet no spot light is as good as the sun. Also if we r shooting them at night just bait them and shoot them in the daylight what's the difference

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 03:38 PM

I am calling bull, no way you can see another deer that may be 20 yards behind the one you are shooting at night, not like you could in daylight. Same goes for seeing a stick or limb that may deflect the bullet no spot light is as good as the sun. Also if we r shooting them at night just bait them and shoot them in the daylight what's the difference

I'm sure in your experience comparing the couple hundred you shot during the day to the hundred or so you shot at night, that may be true, but in my experience of a couple hundred in the day and a hundred or so at night, plus the other research deer I have seen collected, you are wrong.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 03:42 PM

goobler,
Quote:

We don't see eye to eye.

I rest my case

Your opinion of my opinion is usually different than mine as well. However, my ACTUAL opinion is usually NOT what you say it is. Show me where I defend this:
Quote:
The Commissioner designates protected animals, and he can remove coyotes and feral pigs from that classification with a stroke of his pen. Instead, he causes them to be protected by law and then turns his head when the law is violated.

That flies in the face of all common sense, yet you defend it.

I know you like to be a martyr, the lone voice on the hill, and deflect and insult all those who might defend your position. I know a few other folks who do the same, then claim everyone is against them. Amazing with all this small government talk you still are a hypocritical, union supporting lib who only talks this way when it suits your purpose but gives support to a union who politically supports all the big-government libs in the state and fed... including Obama. I don't believe I ever gave any money that went to Obama!

What I also find interesting is that your position is a complete indictment of the wildlife research field and you accuse the beginning wildlife biologists of starting their career with illegal techniques. When field technicians (what I started at in 1982) begin wildlife research, the first thing they typically do is catch stuff (under research collection permits) to research. Catching ducks and turkeys with alpha-chloralose and nets, deer with nets, pens and tranquilizer darts, etc. We captured both quail and ducks at night with spotlights and nets, deer with darts and nets, turkeys with drugs and nets, squirrels at night with nets, as well as shooting deer at night in spotlights summer and winter to do food habit and reproductive studies, anyway we could catch them and, to my knowledge, we were all legal. I was even arrested about 2 in the AM in GA by some overzealous GW's for having 150 quail traps in the woods that they didn't know about. The Judge threw the case out and chastised the wardens for bothering us, so I guess my permit was all legal like. I can give you her number if you like grin

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 03:54 PM

I'm sure in your experience comparing the couple hundred you shot during the day to the hundred or so you shot at night, that may be true, but in my experience of a couple hundred in the day and a hundred or so at night, plus the other research deer I have seen collected, you are wrong.

Gobbler you have no idea of experience I may or may not have, remember that. Assuming mainly just makes an ass of you. If this gets to 7 pages soon I will be done arguing with u, so I can kill some more deer tonight. I just wrote a permit.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 04:56 PM

one point 49'er , some farmers have to slaughter them because the hunters that lease it won't and then they bitch about the farmer doing their job .

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:15 PM

Gobbler you have no idea of experience I may or may not have, remember that. Assuming mainly just makes an ass of you. If this gets to 7 pages soon I will be done arguing with u, so I can kill some more deer tonight. I just wrote a permit.

That is correct sir, that's why I gave you credit for at least 100 kills in the spotlight to cover my bases and give you credit for knowing what you were talking about. If it is more then I apologize grin

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:15 PM

I'm calling bull on your bull. I've been on crop depredation permits. We shot them in Soy Bean fields, July and August when beans are blooming, very easy to see, not as good as daylight, but plenty good enough, and no limbs or sticks.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:20 PM

True- talker

Big T, what if Mr. Farmer allows hunting and for what ever reason the "hunters" aren't getting the job done? Maybe they tell Mr. Farmer they'll shoot every doe they see, but in reality only buck hunt, telling Mr. Farmer "we just don't see many does on your place". It happens. wink
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:41 PM

True- talker

sorry to say it just aint that easy . what you end up with is torn up fields and drains , gates left open . it's about money , its about whats cost effective for the farmer .

plus you run in to safety issues when you allow different people like that hunt

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 05:55 PM

I am bored of this but will call bull on your call of bull on my call of bull. I would have to think identifying objects behind targets is much harder at night. If it was safe to hunt at night would the state not allow us to hunt legally at night?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 06:04 PM

If it was safe to hunt at night would the state not allow us to hunt legally at night?

You gotta be kiddin.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 06:23 PM

If it was safe to hunt at night would the state not allow us to hunt legally at night?

You gotta be kiddin.

They can't coon hunt where he is from. Just aint safe.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:08 PM

You gotta be kiddin.

They can't coon hunt where he is from. Just aint safe.

Exactly night hunting is not safe point made finally thank you.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:09 PM

Holy crap page six is lasting forever I am out hope it goes to 7

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:17 PM

I have now been pm'd and have been told to back out of the post. Because I am not a wildlife biologist. Did not know that was a requirement to post I did not read that in the sign up rules. That is all

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:31 PM

I have now been pm'd and have been told to back out of the post. Because I am not a wildlife biologist. Did not know that was a requirement to post I did not read that in the sign up rules. That is all

That's hilarious! May as well fess up who pm'd it shocked Especially to make sure no one thought it was me grin

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:34 PM

That's hilarious! May as well fess up who pm'd it shocked Especially to make sure no one thought it was me grin

He didn't say the mysterious PMer sent pics of Pines on fire, so couldn't have been you pal. laugh

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:37 PM

No need to be a biologist as long as you stayed at a holiday inn last night.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:55 PM

If everyone here was an expert...... they wouldn't be here to begin with.... they would actually be doing our State some good rather than arguing with a bunch of know it alls who know nothing.... Thank God we have aldeer so the potential know it alls can share their vast knowledge with all of us..... Take it as you may.........
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 07:55 PM

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:13 PM

Seven pages....woot woot!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:26 PM

What do I win? grin

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:31 PM

What do I win? grin

Lunch with 49er!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 08:35 PM

What do I win? grin

Lunch with 49er!

Bring plenty of cash....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter

Not if they remain within the law.

But they won't will they?

And if you're trapping and killing hogs and doing it at night with their blessing after signing a statement that you will abide by all laws, then your word ain't worth any more than theirs.

Nobody should have to lie to do what needs to be done, Barry.

I'm not the problem and the people who raised the questions in this thread are not the problem. The problem is people at the DCNR and people who support them who don't mind lying in order to do whatever they want to do.

Until that changes, maybe you're right. I'll leave it to God to be your Judge, but I would read his Word carefully:

Holy Bible:
Revelation 21
Quote:
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Depredation permit agreement:

Every peace officer in this state takes this oath before assuming his duties:
Quote:
"I, …, solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Alabama, so long as I continue a citizen thereof; and that I will faithfully and honestly discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, to the best of my ability. So help me God."

What is the difference in a common poacher and a man who will lie in order to use a depredation permit to violate the law with the blessings of the same men who swore to support our constitutions and to discharge their duties to the best of their ability, then arrest a poacher and let the liar go when they've violated the very same laws?

I don't trust any of the three.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 09:42 PM

I'm not the problem and the people who raised the questions in this thread are not the problem. The problem is people at the DCNR and people who support them who don't mind lying in order to do whatever they want to do.

What is the difference in a common poacher and a man who will lie in order to use a depredation permit to violate the law with the blessings of the same men who swore to support our constitutions and to discharge their duties to the best of their ability?

When has this ever changed...... We live among this everyday.... and it will continue to go on....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 10:15 PM

So 49er, you don't trust me because you have interpreted what I am doing, while discharging my official duties, to be unlawful?

Like I said, take your case to the legislature with a good lawyer and change it.

I'm for the people keeping government accountable, and it is full of corruption, but this issue isn't worth fighting given the severity of other potentially world-changing issues at hand. It has already been pointed out by several people that scientific collections are given exceptions as to the methods used for taking animals. If that doesn't satisfy you then take your case elsewhere. It does no good to run up 14 pages of bickering and posting current laws on a public site. Write the commissioner. Write Chief Moody. Write the legislature. If you placed as much effort into those channels you could change the law....perhaps.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 10:18 PM

If you placed as much effort into those channels you could change the law....perhaps.

No...... don't think so.....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 10:22 PM

Just trying to encourage him.......he has a lot of determination if we can help him head in the right direction.

Actually, I applaud him for being an informed and caring individual. Just not sure why so much effort is placed here instead of Montgomery.

Go forth and prosper.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 10:24 PM

Just not sure why so much effort is placed here instead of Montgomery.

Been wondering the same thing since I have been here....

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/23/13 11:27 PM

So 49er, you don't trust me because you have interpreted what I am doing, while discharging my official duties, to be unlawful?

Like I said, take your case to the legislature with a good lawyer and change it.

I'm for the people keeping government accountable, and it is full of corruption, but this issue isn't worth fighting given the severity of other potentially world-changing issues at hand. It has already been pointed out by several people that scientific collections are given exceptions as to the methods used for taking animals. If that doesn't satisfy you then take your case elsewhere. It does no good to run up 14 pages of bickering and posting current laws on a public site. Write the commissioner. Write Chief Moody. Write the legislature. If you placed as much effort into those channels you could change the law....perhaps.

Matt,

I have presented my complaints as well as my proposals for improvements to all of those you named on multiple occasions. Your list falls short of the governor, the attorney general and even local enforcement authorities where the last illegal CAB meeting was held.

Some have led to changes, some have not. I don't make it a practice to toot my own horn when I feel like I've been instrumental in effecting needed changes.

This forum may or may not be useful in gaining public support for the positions I take. Often, it seems like a small group of members that are very vocal have succeeded in destroying any good I've tried to accomplish... only to discover later that others who are not vocal at all were paying attention and learning from the information I shared.

My purpose is not to offend anyone unless it's the truth that offends.

The truth in the matter of scientific collections of protected animals at night is that those who have given exceptions not already found within the law have no authority to add exceptions to the law. Only our legislature has that power as stated in the constitution of our state that you swore to support as an officer of the executive branch.

Constitution of Alabama 1901
Quote:
SECTION 43
Separation of powers.

In the government of this state, except in the instances in this Constitution hereinafter expressly directed or permitted, the legislative department shall never exercise the executive and judicial powers, or either of them; the executive shall never exercise the legislative and judicial powers, or either of them; the judicial shall never exercise the legislative and executive powers, or either of them; to the end that it may be a government of laws and not of men.

Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 09:04 AM

Don't know if the obvious has already been stated but if what the WFF if doing is illegal do you think a article would have been written in a magazine easily available to the public?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 09:07 AM

Yes.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 01:43 PM

I don't remember I erased it as soon as I read it cause I figured if I did not erase it it would respond in an unkind manner. Sorry wish I could provide more info.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 02:27 PM

Not if they remain within the law.

But they won't will they?

And if you're trapping and killing hogs and doing it at night with their blessing after signing a statement that you will abide by all laws, then your word ain't worth any more than theirs.

Nobody should have to lie to do what needs to be done, Barry.

Until that changes, maybe you're right. I'll leave it to God to be your Judge, but I would read his Word carefully:

Holy Bible:
Revelation 21
Quote:
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Depredation permit agreement:

Every peace officer in this state takes this oath before assuming his duties:
Quote:
"I, …, solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Alabama, so long as I continue a citizen thereof; and that I will faithfully and honestly discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, to the best of my ability. So help me God."

What is the difference in a common poacher and a man who will lie in order to use a depredation permit to violate the law with the blessings of the same men who swore to support our constitutions and to discharge their duties to the best of their ability, then arrest a poacher and let the liar go when they've violated the very same laws?

Eddie,

I know you mean well. And because of that I will remain civil. My permit covers hogs and coyotes. Hogs are not native to Alabama and are a tremendous burden to landowners. And I am sure you do not fault the landowners for wanting to rid their properties of the hogs. So, your problem is with me for getting the permit and with the DCNR for issuing it.

So, here goes, show me in the law where it specifically says that non native invasive species are protected under the law. And we will start from there.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 03:15 PM

Code of Alabama 1975
Section 9-2-7
Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources - Powers and duties as to game, fish and seafood generally.
… (b) The commissioner is empowered to do all of the following:
… (8) To designate by name what animals shall be classed as game or fur-bearing animals and the time, manner, means, and devices for taking same.

ALABAMA REGULATIONS 2012-2013
GAME, FISH, FURBEARERS,AND OTHER WILDLIFE
The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear, Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox, Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine (Wild Hog), except those feral swine reduced to the personal possession of a landowner or his agent, provided, however, that notwithstanding such reduction to personal possession, in the event such feral swine are hunted, they shall at such time of hunting be designated as game animals.
All feral swine (wild hogs) found in the wild are hereby classed as game animals. The seasons and methods for taking feral swine will be as provided in Rule 220-2-.01. Once reduced to personal possession of the landowner or agent, feral swine will no longer be considered a game animal. However, feral swine will be considered a game animal at any time they are hunted. Notwithstanding any other regulation to the contrary, it shall be unlawful to transport feral swine alive beyond the boundaries of the property from which they are taken without a permit from the local conservation officer, or to release feral swine into any area of the state, except they may be released onto the property from which they were originally taken.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 03:48 PM

So a feral hog is a game animal until it is killed. Then it is not. And for the record my permit for hogs doesn't read anything like the one you attached. But, I doubt that matters to you since Reg 220-2-.01 doesn't allow everyone to hunt them at night with weapons.

Now with that said, do you think landowners should have the right to protect their property from feral hogs?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 03:52 PM

Article 1 Declaration of Rights.

That the great, general, and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established, we declare:

SECTION 35
Objective of government.

That the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression.

AMENDMENT 597 RATIFIED

Sportsperson's Bill of Rights.
(a) All persons shall have the right to hunt and fish in this state in accordance with law and regulations.

(b) This amendment shall be known as the "Sportsperson's Bill of Rights."

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:01 PM

But, does a landowner have the right to protect their land and their crops from feral hogs?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:06 PM

But, does a landowner have the right to protect their land and their crops from feral hogs?

Yes, but within the limits set by law.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:07 PM

So, am I in violation of the law or the regs?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:08 PM

Only if you hunt in an unlawful manner.

Examples:

Section 9-11-235
It shall be unlawful, except as to trapping as otherwise provided by law, for a person to take, capture, or kill, or attempt to take, capture, or kill any bird or animal protected by the laws of this state between sunset and daylight of the following day, except that the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may by a duly promulgated regulation, allow the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums between sunset and daylight in any county or counties within the state. …

Section 9-11-244
Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals by means of bait.
No person at any time shall take, catch, kill or attempt to take, catch or kill any bird or animal protected by law or regulation of the State of Alabama by means, aid or use, directly or indirectly, of any bait …

Section 9-11-245
Unlawful methods of hunting birds or animals protected by law or regulation.
No person shall at any time make use of any pitfall, deadfall, baited field, cage, trap, net, pen, baited hook, snare, poison, explosive, or chemical for the purpose of injuring, capturing, or killing birds or animals protected by law or regulation of this state. This section shall not prevent the trapping of animals classified as fur-bearing animals by a duly licensed fur catcher. It shall be legal to use a scaffold for gun hunting of all legal game species except wild turkey and to use a scaffold for bow hunting of all legal game species.
(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §2; Acts 1975, No. 195, p. 681, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-563, p. 1174, §1.)

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:10 PM

Okay I hunt hogs at night via my permit. Am I hunting in an unlawful manner?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:14 PM

Yes:

An administrative regulation must be consistent with the statute pursuant to which it was promulgated; it cannot usurp legislative power, and may neither subvert nor enlarge upon statutory policy. E.g., Ex parte Jones Mfg. Co., 589 So.2d 208 (Ala.1991);

Ex parte State Dep't of Human Res., 548 So.2d 176 (Ala.1988)(regulation must be consistent with the statute under which it is promulgated);

Ex parte City of Florence, 417 So.2d 191 (Ala.1982)
(administrative agency cannot usurp legislative powers or contravene statutes);

Alabama State Milk Control Bd. v. Graham, 250 Ala. 49, 33 So.2d 11 (1947) (regulation cannot subvert or enlarge upon statutory policy).

con•tra•vene: Violate the prohibition or order of (a law, treaty, or code of conduct).
Conflict with (a right, principle, etc.), esp. to its detriment.

sub•vert : To destroy completely; ruin

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:15 PM

Does your permit require you to vow to abide by all laws and ordinances?
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:24 PM

Barry i feel based on what is given you are commissioned by the landowner as an agent to take feral swine on his property and with that thought in mind, yes you are good to go. not unlawful but within the limits of the law of the land. better than using claymore mines,

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:30 PM

No it does not.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 04:31 PM

No it does not.

Why do you need a permit?

How does this affect those permits?

Quote:
SECTION 21
Suspension of laws.

That no power of suspending laws shall be exercised except by the legislature.

Quote:
SECTION 108
Suspension of general laws for benefit of individuals or private corporations; exemption of individuals or private corporations from operation of general laws.

The operation of a general law shall not be suspended for the benefit of any individual, private corporation, or association; nor shall any individual, private corporation or association be exempted from the operation of any general law except as in this article otherwise provided.

Why not just call a nuisance species a nuisance instead of game?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

A valid question from day one regarding feral swine.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:04 PM

Just now read all of this...

The running down of our State Agency is meeting all new lows. These folks work very hard trying to manage these great resources for you but all you folks seem to care about is how they are not doing the job like you think it should be done or that they are against you. Bull crap!!!

Get off your soap box and get a life... or do you feel entitled to give them a hard time over every decision that the DCNR makes. Find something else to get on this one is getting old.

Wait, lets post pictures of the Director and AG shooting something at night and discuss how they are above the law...and conception data is useless...hunting night is wrong...

This crap makes me sick

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:11 PM

No it does not.

Why do you need a permit?

How does this affect those permits?

Quote:
SECTION 21
Suspension of laws.

That no power of suspending laws shall be exercised except by the legislature.

Quote:
SECTION 108
Suspension of general laws for benefit of individuals or private corporations; exemption of individuals or private corporations from operation of general laws.

The operation of a general law shall not be suspended for the benefit of any individual, private corporation, or association; nor shall any individual, private corporation or association be exempted from the operation of any general law except as in this article otherwise provided.

Can't answer that.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
The running down of our State Agency is meeting all new lows. These folks work very hard trying to manage these great resources for you but all you folks seem to care about is how they are not doing the job like you think it should be done or that they are against you. Bull crap!!!

Get off your soap box and get a life... or do you feel entitled to give them a hard time over every decision that the DCNR makes. Find something else to get on this one is getting old.

Wait, lets post pictures of the Director and AG shooting something at night and discuss how they are above the law...and conception data is useless...hunting night is wrong...

This crap makes me sick

It's not their job to manage game for me. That's the whole point. Their job is conservation of the various species of wildlife... not nuisance or invasive species.

It is their job to administer and abide by the law, not make up their own.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:19 PM

This crap makes me sick

It's not their job to manage game for me. That's the whole point. Their job is conservation of the species.

It is their job to administer the law, not make up their own.

I don't think feral hogs should be conserved.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:33 PM

Conservation includes management.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:43 PM

This crap makes me sick

It's not their job to manage game for me. That's the whole point. Their job is conservation of the various species of wildlife... not nuisance or invasive species.

It is their job to administer and abide by the law, not make up their own.

The folks that I know that work for the state, which are numerous and go to the top brass, are VERY GOOD and HONEST people. They all believe in what they are doing and they believe in the science behind it. If there are other reasons for what they are doing, they obviously believe in those too or they would not do it.

Knowing these guys as well as I do, that is good enough for me!

I'm done with it from here. Nothing good comes from anything like this. Folks on our side (I'm putting me on the DCNR's side) will never convince you that what is going on has true merit, your mind is already made up.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 05:59 PM

True statement!

And that is one of our selling points. We do not manage hogs. We are working to rid the properties of these destructive animals. We target sows and we kill all sizes. There is no room for management in feral hogs. Our goal on every property is to kill that last one!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 06:40 PM

Conservation: 1939 – 2006
- Antlered bucks one per day entire season most years / limited or no antlerless seasons and bag limits.
- Successful restoration of the species from approx. 3000 members to 1.5 - 2 million.

Conservation + management: 2007 - present
- Three antlered bucks per hunter per season with antler restrictions and recording
- Unknown effects other than decreased hunting license sales and more government rules

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 07:38 PM

- Antlered bucks one per day entire season most years / limited or no antlerless seasons and bag limits.
- Successful restoration of the species from approx. 3000 members to 1.5 - 2 million.

- Three antlered bucks per hunter per season with antler restrictions and recording
- Unknown effects other than decreased hunting license sales and more government rules

Get over it. The large majority of hunters want qaulity since we have sucessfully restored quantity.

Other than more "rules", are there really any negatives to the three buck rule?
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 08:05 PM

Get over it. The large majority of hunters want qaulity since we have sucessfully restored quantity.

Other than more "rules", are there really any negatives to the three buck rule?

Burbank, talking with 49er is like trying to converse with someone in a mental institution. They can speak and carry on a conversation, but you have no idea what the phuck you were talking about by the time the conversation is over.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 08:26 PM

Thank you Matt for all of the hard work y'all do for the betterment of the STATES deer population.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks

Thank you Matt for all of the hard work y'all do for the betterment of the STATES deer population.

X2! And the same goes for all the other DCNR hard working men and women!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 09:56 PM

Why not help get rid of a lot of unnecessary rules so our state biologists will have more time for science instead of spending their time filling in as enforcement officers?

That's likely what they want as well. They are trained and hired as biologists, and that should be what they are allowed to be.

I've asked again for the reports Clem and I were discussing earlier. I've also found a bit of case law that offers some insight into what DCNR employee have to put up with from the leadership at the Dept.

It's not so much the employees who are the problem... its the bosses who assign them their duties.

Take a look at this:

Secretary of Labor v Alabama Dept. of Conservation *** click here ***

Quote:
The reason an employee continues to work beyond his shift is immaterial; if the employer knows or has reason to believe that the employee continues to work, the additional hours must be counted. Id.

In all such cases it is the duty of the management to exercise its control and see that the work is not performed if it does not want it to be performed. It cannot sit back and accept the benefits without compensating for them. The mere promulgation of a rule against such work is not enough. Management has the power to enforce the rule and must make every effort to do so.

29 C.F.R. § 785.13. ...

... If from no other source, the Department had actual knowledge through the 1987 AMIP study that unreported overtime during deer hunting season continued to be a substantial problem despite the Department's 1985 written policy prohibiting all such work. The study also revealed that supervisory personnel had failed to fulfill the 1985 directive to monitor the officers' hours closely to insure compliance. The district court found that the hunting activity that traditionally caused deer season to be such a busy period of time continued after 1985, and that there was no fundamental change at any pertinent point in the amount of work to be performed by the officers. Complaints about the forty-hour rule were common and the subject came up frequently during the district meetings.

In the face of the continued peak activity during deer hunting season and its specific knowledge that the 1985 policy against overtime was not being followed, the Department had a duty to do more than to simply continue to apprise the officers of the policy. The Department had an obligation to "exercise its control and see that the work [was] not performed if it [did] not want it to be performed." 29 C.F.R. § 785.13. The fact that some officers were able to comply with the forty-hour rule did not relieve the Department of its responsibility to ensure that the remaining officers did not violate the rule. We therefore conclude that the district court erred as a matter of law by finding that the promulgation of the forty-hour policy, coupled with the ability of some officers to comply, insulated the Department from liability.

In addition, the district court erred as a matter of law by failing to impute to the Department knowledge of the inconsistencies contained in the weekly and arrest reports, which revealed that certain officers were not reporting the total number of hours they actually worked during the 1987-88, 1988-89 and 1989-90 hunting seasons. The fact that the captains made only cursory examinations of these reports because of their own lack of time for review does not excuse them from being charged with constructive notice of the information contained in the documents. As noted earlier, an employer is not relieved of the duty to inquire into the conditions prevailing in his business "`because the extent of the business may preclude his personal supervision, and compel reliance on subordinates.'" Gulf King Shrimp. Co., 407 F.2d at 512 (quoting People ex rel. Price, 121 N.E. at 474). This is especially so where, as here, the Department specifically instructed its supervisors to closely monitor the officers' hours to ensure compliance with the 1985 policy and knew, through the 1987 AMIP study, that such monitoring was not being accomplished. ...

We would all like to think that those who have been delegated authority can be trusted to tell the truth. Looks like many of the men who were making arrests and were giving their sworn testimony in court as evidence were not as honest as we might expect them to be.

The courts found evidence of official time-keeping documents being falsified by enforcement officers in order to please DCNR leaders.

Makes you wonder what other false testimony they were willing to give, doesn't it?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 10:29 PM

X3
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002

X3

x4

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: IDOT
Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002

X3

x4

x5

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 10:52 PM

Quote:

Eddie, you believe management had no any role whatsoever during this period? You believe conservation is possible without management?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 11:07 PM

Quote:

Eddie, you believe management had no any role whatsoever during this period? You believe conservation is possible without management?

And my question...

How can we trust that the nanny state numbers are right since they are SO corrupt. Hell, I heard ALFA told the DNCR to say 1.5 million so that we could all sleep better at night. The number is actually closer to 5k, 10k since dog hunting was banned in Tuscaloosa county.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/24/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

We called it, and the legislature called it conservation. It is the qdm'ers that renamed it "traditional management".

It is certainly possible to conserve the whitetail deer species and to provide for its continued perpetuation without managing for sex ratios, single sex age structure or antler configuration down to the inch. That is what our game and fish laws provide for as it relates to deer, and that is generally what was being done until 2007. Voluntary management practices were becoming more commonly practiced, but our conservation efforts made even that possile.

Until then, limited wildlife management was eventually allowed by amending the law to authorize antlerless deer seasons to reduce populations where it was needed, along with what was always allowed on designated wildlife management areas where management practices were allowed by law to be determined as desired by the commissioner.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 07:37 AM

Why not help get rid of a lot of unnecessary rules so our state biologists will have more time for science instead of spending their time filling in as enforcement officers?

That's likely what they want as well. They are trained and hired as biologists, and that should be what they are allowed to be.

I've asked again for the reports Clem and I were discussing earlier. I've also found a bit of case law that offers some insight into what DCNR employee have to put up with from the leadership at the Dept.

It's not so much the employees who are the problem... its the bosses who assign them their duties.

Take a look at this:

Secretary of Labor v Alabama Dept. of Conservation *** click here ***

Quote:
The reason an employee continues to work beyond his shift is immaterial; if the employer knows or has reason to believe that the employee continues to work, the additional hours must be counted. Id.

In all such cases it is the duty of the management to exercise its control and see that the work is not performed if it does not want it to be performed. It cannot sit back and accept the benefits without compensating for them. The mere promulgation of a rule against such work is not enough. Management has the power to enforce the rule and must make every effort to do so.

29 C.F.R. § 785.13. ...

... If from no other source, the Department had actual knowledge through the 1987 AMIP study that unreported overtime during deer hunting season continued to be a substantial problem despite the Department's 1985 written policy prohibiting all such work. The study also revealed that supervisory personnel had failed to fulfill the 1985 directive to monitor the officers' hours closely to insure compliance. The district court found that the hunting activity that traditionally caused deer season to be such a busy period of time continued after 1985, and that there was no fundamental change at any pertinent point in the amount of work to be performed by the officers. Complaints about the forty-hour rule were common and the subject came up frequently during the district meetings.

In the face of the continued peak activity during deer hunting season and its specific knowledge that the 1985 policy against overtime was not being followed, the Department had a duty to do more than to simply continue to apprise the officers of the policy. The Department had an obligation to "exercise its control and see that the work [was] not performed if it [did] not want it to be performed." 29 C.F.R. § 785.13. The fact that some officers were able to comply with the forty-hour rule did not relieve the Department of its responsibility to ensure that the remaining officers did not violate the rule. We therefore conclude that the district court erred as a matter of law by finding that the promulgation of the forty-hour policy, coupled with the ability of some officers to comply, insulated the Department from liability.

In addition, the district court erred as a matter of law by failing to impute to the Department knowledge of the inconsistencies contained in the weekly and arrest reports, which revealed that certain officers were not reporting the total number of hours they actually worked during the 1987-88, 1988-89 and 1989-90 hunting seasons. The fact that the captains made only cursory examinations of these reports because of their own lack of time for review does not excuse them from being charged with constructive notice of the information contained in the documents. As noted earlier, an employer is not relieved of the duty to inquire into the conditions prevailing in his business "`because the extent of the business may preclude his personal supervision, and compel reliance on subordinates.'" Gulf King Shrimp. Co., 407 F.2d at 512 (quoting People ex rel. Price, 121 N.E. at 474). This is especially so where, as here, the Department specifically instructed its supervisors to closely monitor the officers' hours to ensure compliance with the 1985 policy and knew, through the 1987 AMIP study, that such monitoring was not being accomplished. ...

We would all like to think that those who have been delegated authority can be trusted to tell the truth. Looks like many of the men who were making arrests and were giving their sworn testimony in court as evidence were not as honest as we might expect them to be.

The courts found evidence of official time-keeping documents being falsified by enforcement officers in order to please DCNR leaders.

Makes you wonder what other false testimony they were willing to give, doesn't it?

No it doesn't. Heck, under your logic, you can't be trusted either because I am sure at some point in your life you have broken the law...Be it an illegal lane change, speeding, shooting 1 yard to close to a road, late to renew your driver's license, forgot something on your tax return..... any of many items that are against the law....

Eddie, I am going to say this again. I think you are a good person with a good heart. But, you have an unhealthy dislike of the DCNR and Government period. Don't get me wrong, there are many things I don't like that our government does but I don't fight them on every step they take.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

And my question...

How can we trust that the nanny state numbers are right since they are SO corrupt. Hell, I heard ALFA told the DNCR to say 1.5 million so that we could all sleep better at night. The number is actually closer to 5k, 10k since dog hunting was banned in Tuscaloosa county.

I HEARD????? Oh heck, then it has to be true! And how in the world do you come up with your numbers? Does your career as a coal miner make you a better source of information on deer populations than trained game biologists?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 07:44 AM

Eddie, Barry is right. ---You don't need to keep poking your friends with a sharp stick.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 07:45 AM

Elkhunter,
Quote:
I HEARD????? Oh heck, then it has to be true! And how in the world do you come up with your numbers? Does your career as a coal miner make you a better source of information on deer populations than trained game biologists?

Is he a coal miner? I didn't know that.

I thought he was just insulting me again... or does it matter?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 07:49 AM

Eddie, Barry is right. ---You don't need to keep poking your friends with a sharp stick.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Poking goes both ways. grin

Are there any limits I should be concerned about?

How do we choose which laws can be violated in the name of science and which cannot? Who chooses the limits if not the law?

Why not just amend the law to allow legitimate activities when they are deemed worthy? Isn't that how our system is supposed to operate?

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 08:00 AM

EXPECTED!

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 08:01 AM

EXPECTED!

???

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 08:02 AM

Head pounding post! I think I have made my point.

Re: Hunting At Night Conducted by WFF - 06/25/13 08:08 AM

I think you may have taken what someone else said and thought I said it.

Now, go pound your head.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM