Aldeer.com

How far to hunt away from corn pile?

Posted By: straycat

How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/10/10 06:02 PM

I was just curious how far is legal. I can't really see my corn pile since I'm hunting around the corner from it on a well worn trail. Wondering if I may need to move back a few yards or something. confused
Posted By: Andrew Morton

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/10/10 06:41 PM

You should not be concerned about hunting near a corn pile. That is classified as a supplemental feeding location for the new Obama Raccoon Enhancement and Proliferation Program (OREPP). This program is funded thru the USDA and designed to increase the availibility and palatability of raccoons, the New Other White Meat. By shooting deer near the cornpile, you are helping to ensure the success of this vital program.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/12/10 04:18 AM

Depends on your effective range!
Posted By: Big Jack

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/12/10 08:20 PM

LOL, Dang Mike, you must not have much to do??LOL
Posted By: todd w

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/12/10 09:13 PM

i hope your kidding.
Posted By: Book

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/12/10 10:24 PM

I had a feller tell me one time that he did not need a 3.5 12 guage with fancy chokes to kill turkeys, just sat closer to the corn pile... Same thing with deer 300 wm sit far away, 30-30 closer, buckshot sit right on top of it.
Posted By: 49er

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/12/10 11:39 PM

Put you a mirror on a tree by the corner where you can see the corn pile's image. That way, you can still honor the spirit of the rules and enjoy the benefits of your efforts in an ethical manner.

You can get closer with your 4-wheeler without disturbing "the area" that way too. Never take your 4-wheeler too far into "the area" unless there is a Trophy Stone there for good luck. Trophy Stones are naturally occurring and ward off evil spirits in "the area".

Deep in the forest there is a "Mystery Bridge". Once you pass across that bridge, baiting is not allowed because the path leads to "the area". Beware of "the area". Many have entered, never to return. Only game wardens know when you have entered "the area", so watch out for that infamous "Mystery Bridge". It is your only clue:

Posted By: 7MM-08

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/13/10 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Morton
You should not be concerned about hunting near a corn pile. That is classified as a supplemental feeding location for the new Obama Raccoon Enhancement and Proliferation Program (OREPP). This program is funded thru the USDA and designed to increase the availibility and palatability of raccoons, the New Other White Meat. By shooting deer near the cornpile, you are helping to ensure the success of this vital program.

This is correct, except that you must provide legal notice in accordance to the law. The pile must be posted with a sign for at least 7 days prior to hunting that reads:

ATTENTION: Feeding area for Raccoons!

All Deer Caught Stealing Raccoon Feed will Be SHOT ON SIGHT!!

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/13/10 09:16 PM

How far from the corn must the notice be??? grin
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/13/10 09:25 PM

Not even on the same property. My buddy got a ticket 2 years ago hunting a 120 acre tract. He wasn't on the same side of the creek and over 400 yards away. Got a ticket because basically he and the corn were there at the same time. He fought it. Lost. It's a judgement call either way on the game warden's part. My advice would be to either remove the corn or hunt someplace else.

Dr. B
Posted By: straycat

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/13/10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 7MM-08

This is correct, except that you must provide legal notice in accordance to the law. The pile must be posted with a sign for at least 7 days prior to hunting that reads:

Perfect..that is what I'll do grin

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/13/10 10:32 PM

Quote:
Could someone please tell me where "the area" is???

Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/14/10 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: 7MM-08

LOL!!!
Posted By: Rickybobby

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/16/10 12:45 AM

There was a big article in the Mobile Press Register a few years back and it say that the Alabama law reads "hunting using the aid of bait". Leaves alot of interpretation for barney. You could be hunting a trail that leads to the bait and get busted

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/17/10 05:45 PM

I guess CAB member Self summed it up best with his words in the March meeting this year when he said this about defining the "area" in the baiting law:

CAB Meeting minutes, March, 2010
Mr. Self, page 114
Quote:
... 3 I ask my fellow Board members,
4 don't kill the goose that laid the golden
5 egg. Vote no to define the area.

[Edited to quote Self instead of May... my mistake.]
Posted By: bukslyr

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/19/10 04:32 PM

I hear that it is gonna be legal this year!! wink

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/20/10 01:11 AM

The Feds have a pretty broad definition of "area". Theirs is a one mile radius. The CAB can't change that. Neither can Andress.

Quote:
Andress said he could not resolve the distribution issue with Rawls and asked if he could move the shoot to a field less than a mile away.
Rawls told him any hunt within a mile of the field would be considered baited.

DCNR gets accused of baiting a field
Posted By: sethjamtoe

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/21/10 05:32 PM

WOW! I just read that article and want to point out that this Rawls guys is ONE HECK OF A JACKA$$!
Posted By: Broken Arrow

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/21/10 06:23 PM

Does anybody know what the fine would be, if charged with
hunting deer over corn? I was told that you CAN hunt hogs over
corn without getting a ticket(in Alabama).
Is this true ?

Re: How far to hunt away from corn pile? - 12/21/10 11:56 PM

The DCNR does give some people permission to violate the law but not get a ticket for it during certain parts of the year if you ask for their permit.

They will write you a ticket for violatintg the very same laws if:
- you don't ask for their permission
- if it is not within the time of year they specify
- if you bait, trap and hunt game animals other than the ones they give you permission for
© 2024 ALDEER.COM