Aldeer.com

iPhone GPS Apps

Posted By: Rocket62

iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 09:18 AM

I'm looking for iPhone GPS apps useful for hunting. Anyone have a favorite they use and would recommend? Looking mostly for trail recording, waypoints, possible linkage of photos to GPS coords

Thanks!
Paul
Posted By: quailman

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 09:20 AM

Been using the one from Cabelas. Called GPS Hunt. Works pretty good for me.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 10:39 AM

Does that work without cellphone coverage (but with GPS signal coverage)?

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 10:40 AM

Yes it does...
Posted By: Turkey

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 11:04 AM

I really like MotionX-GPS on my iphone. One of the nicest features is the ability to "share" a location. I hunt alone most of the time. I can get to the hunting area and "share" the location with my wife. She has the app on her ipad. Gives us both a little peace of mind.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 11:19 AM

I've actually bought MotionX-GPS but haven't used it yet. Still looking for the 'best' app, thought I'd get some input here
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 12:09 PM

Cabelas recon hunt

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: mackdaddy
Cabelas recon hunt

That's the one I have. They recently upgraded and changed the name. But yes,, it was Recon Hunt when I downloaded it.
Posted By: mayonnaisesandwich

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 01:04 PM

Sharing the location is available on the standard GPS map on the iphone. This app though, does it allow you to map trails or track your walk?

Originally Posted By: Turkey
I really like MotionX-GPS on my iphone. One of the nicest features is the ability to "share" a location. I hunt alone most of the time. I can get to the hunting area and "share" the location with my wife. She has the app on her ipad. Gives us both a little peace of mind.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PLeopard
Does that work without cellphone coverage (but with GPS signal coverage)?

Mine would show the blue dot where I am at but without cell coverage the map sometimes wouldn't come up so I still couldn't tell where I was.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 01:14 PM

Evidently it does. I haven't done it but according to the website :

Quote:

Sharing

Post your tracks and waypoints to Facebook or Twitter, or email them to share.
Share your location and see where your friends are in real-time using the Auto Live Updates feature.

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/
Posted By: Turkey

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/01/13 01:19 PM

Yes. I have Garmin and DeLorme GPS units. It will do everything they will do, plus some. The main disadvantage of the app. is battery life vs. that of a GPS unit. You can create tracks, waypoints, tag photo's to positions, etc.

Kind of funny, the first time I used it I was trying to take a different route to a stand and was using the phone to create a track of the route being taken. About halfway there, my phone starts talking, saying I've been gone so many minutes, have traveled so far at an average of x mph. Got to remember to turn the sound off when hunting.

I also like the ease you can download the tracks to Google Earth and to the DeLorme Topo USA software.
Posted By: Crimson Hunter

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/05/13 10:35 AM

I have an iPhone and really like the Antler Insanity App. I have 100+ things marked, stands, scrapelines, future stand sites, future places to plant etc. Great for exploring new areas as you can see where you are on a satellite image. Can view satellite images at home so you can spend way too much time obsessing on your hunting land and strategy!
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/05/13 12:18 PM

I like cabelas recon hunt but I really like scout look. It's really a weather app but it can be used as a GPS and it allows me to plan hints a day in advance according to wind. You can make a waypoint on the map where your hunting spot is and click on it and it will show you the wind direction from that stand for a couple of days in advance and it is always right.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/06/13 09:01 PM

Sweet, going to have to check that out
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/07/13 08:06 AM

why not just use the maps on your phone that's what I use and the aerial photo is great and it shows you where you are and what direction your facing. You can also zoom in our out. I use the map function on my phone more than anything else when Im in the woods. Also as far as way points you can drop a pin and add it as a book mark and always go back to it. That's how I mark all my public land spots
Posted By: wmd

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/07/13 08:29 AM

I prefer Recon Hunt because it can be used without a cell signal (as long as you download the maps to your phone in advance) which also minimizes data usage for cheap folks like me; Scout Look is great if you have cell service, but worthless without a signal. Scout Look would be even better if they could develop and integrate an algorithm that could handle the effects of mountainous terrain on wind flow.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/07/13 09:00 AM

Oh well, I'm requiring pre-downloadable maps. I'm certain that the areas I will hunt will be cell coverage challenged.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/28/13 10:48 AM

Ok I purchased the Motion-X GPS application and took it out on an off-trail hike in Skyline WMA this weekend. I absolutely love the app and easily transferred all of my waypoints and tracks onto Google Earth Pro. This thing is seemless and I was even able to download the sat photos and terrain elevation before I went since the area is cell signal challenged.

There is just one problem ... I was out for 2 hours or so and it completely drained my iPhone (5) battery! This won't work ... I'm betting that Recon Hunt will do the same since it uses the iPhone GPS

I need something else ... perhaps a handheld GPS unit of some type
Posted By: wmd

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/28/13 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: PLeopard
Ok I purchased the Motion-X GPS application and took it out on an off-trail hike in Skyline WMA this weekend. I absolutely love the app and easily transferred all of my waypoints and tracks onto Google Earth Pro. This thing is seemless and I was even able to download the sat photos and terrain elevation before I went since the area is cell signal challenged.

There is just one problem ... I was out for 2 hours or so and it completely drained my iPhone (5) battery! This won't work ... I'm betting that Recon Hunt will do the same since it uses the iPhone GPS

I need something else ... perhaps a handheld GPS unit of some type

A map, a compass, and the knowledge of how to use both are invaluable. Phones are great for marking spots as are GPS units, but I never really on having soley those. The thing I do is turn off the wireless on my phone (or just turn my phone off) and then power it up when I want to mark a spot. No real sense in having it on all of the time if you don't have a signal.

Of course, this is just how I operate in signal-challenged areas (i.e. most of Jackson County where I hunt).

I would rather have a GPS with replaceable batteries to use as a navigation tool than a phone. The other thing you can do is buy one of the external battery packs that will allow you to re-charge/run your phone for an extended period of time. They are not expensive (~$50) but it is extra weight to carry.

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 05/29/13 08:14 AM

I prefer a handheld but I'd like to be navigating with a compass/map also as a backup. I'm comfortable with a compass but need a good topo map. What I've found online is $20 plus shipping. Any idea where to buy a pre-printed topo of Skyline WMA?
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 06/19/13 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: wmd
I prefer Recon Hunt because it can be used without a cell signal (as long as you download the maps to your phone in advance) which also minimizes data usage for cheap folks like me; Scout Look is great if you have cell service, but worthless without a signal. Scout Look would be even better if they could develop and integrate an algorithm that could handle the effects of mountainous terrain on wind flow.

Doesn't it cost more $ to purchase the maps for download with Recon Hunt? How much?

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 06/19/13 10:59 AM

I just bought the Recon Hunt app for $4.99 and a map pack for Jackson County Al for $9.99
Posted By: BOB

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 06/19/13 08:51 PM

Topo maps are available at the US Geological Survey at the University of Alabama. Dont know if they ship though. $4 or $5 dollars each I think.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: iPhone GPS Apps - 06/20/13 01:38 PM

Back country navigator not sure if you can get it on iPhone, I have it on the droid razor max hd . Best hunting app out there and with the razor Max I can use it non stop all day and not drain the battery.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM