Aldeer.com

Shed hunting

Posted By: TurkeyHammer

Shed hunting - 03/23/13 11:49 PM

Covered some serious ground today around two food plots today looking for sheds. Didn't find one. Any useful shed hunting techniques ya'll use?
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shed hunting - 03/24/13 12:10 AM

I find them in plots/fields,edge of plots, trails leading from plots and around feeders. If you are mostly wooded that's about the best you can do. You can walk trails, if you have the time, good way to scout and learn the area. You need to look in areas they freguent this time of year. Can be tough in this part of the country, % of open land versus woods not like the mid-west. If you're near wheat fields walk them and use binos before the wheat gets too tall.

Here's an example of why they can be so hard to find in hardwoods.

Posted By: foldemup

Re: Shed hunting - 03/24/13 12:27 AM

dog and foodplots
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Shed hunting - 03/24/13 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHammer
Covered some serious ground today around two food plots today looking for sheds. Didn't find one. Any useful shed hunting techniques ya'll use?

My favorite technique:

Posted By: MarkBAMA

Re: Shed hunting - 03/24/13 02:34 PM

Check around creek and fence crossings. When they hop them it can jar them off.
Posted By: TREX3

Re: Shed hunting - 03/26/13 08:00 PM

I live in Florida just north of Pensacola an I seen a buck on Sunday still had both his horns on his head!
Posted By: CAM

Re: Shed hunting - 03/26/13 09:44 PM

I like Gobbler's way laugh
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 02:48 PM

I'm about done this year. FOund 9 including this matching set.

I have three years of history with him. He was a 7pt then added the 8th last year and just got heavier this year. Probably isn't over 12" inside but will go 115". I'm just about positive he's a 4yr old this year. He dropped both between Jan 20 and 24.

I've searched for the match to this one with no luck.

Probably my favorite this year..

Posted By: Ponderosa

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 03:30 PM

The best way is with a good dog. [url=http://www.sheddogtrainer.com/][/url]

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 04:18 PM

Nice ALSwamper. thumbup on the spike, as hard as the big ones are to find, those little spikes are a prize.
Big one dropped Jan 20 -24, sounds like you really need 2 more weeks in Feb........ NOT! I'd like to stick a big shed up Sen. Whatley's ass.

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 06:04 PM

I actually had pics of that spike in mid January without that antler and I the way it was mashed down, I must have been parking my truck right on top of it. The day I found it, I parked on the road and had a bag of corn on my shoulder headed to the camera and had to call my dad over to pick the shed up. I was afraid I wouldn't find it again.

2dogs, although I know and understand certain areas rut different than others, those sheds, although found in TN are only 8.5 miles from the AL state line. Our deer are done by mid December, same as the deer in my area of AL in Lauderdale CO. Not rare at all to see bucks grouped back up around here in January. I honestly can't speak for SW Alabama.

I'll try to take a pic of my string of spike sheds. I find more of those than anything I think.

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 06:33 PM

Love finding sheds! Bout as much fun as killing them. I found a dandy pair last year, I'm thinking about mounting them to a skull and making a euro out of them.I had several pics just days before he dropped them. Didn't see hide nor hair of him in hunting season.

Don't mean to hi-jack or offend by my post ^^^, but it makes my blood boil to think some LA lawmaker wants to screw with extreme NAs season. I guess 49er thinks it's OK, because the constitution says he can.

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 06:43 PM

That particular buck lives in a 200 acre area of our farm/lease. I've got his bedding area narrowed down to two core areas on each side of the road.

He's been seen only once......as a 2.5yr old 7pt. Last year and this year he was a ghost except on camera. He uses a thick hardwood side hollow to travel and it seems he stays right in those areas. Never a picture outside those areas in three years. Not even during the rut.

I've hunted the fringes, the core and everywhere in between this year to kill him. Didn't work. laugh

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 10:38 PM

All this shed hunting talk got me fired up, just had to go, found 3 this afternoon. Makes 7 so far. smile

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 11:10 PM

I think I have found around 10 including 2 spikes (one side of 2 different spikes).

Re: Shed hunting - 03/27/13 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
I think I have found around 10 including 2 spikes (one side of 2 different spikes).

Your dog helping with those finds?

Re: Shed hunting - 03/28/13 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: foldemup

Your dog helping with those finds?

She has actually only found one that I didn't see, but when I see one in a food plot, I take her to the plot and let her find it. She is getting better, but the frustrating part is she can pass by one 3 feet away if she is upwind of it, then her next swing will be 10-15 yards downwind and she doesn't smell it. Seems like she has to get about 5 yards from it before she smells it. The good part is she can cover a whole lot more ground in a hurry when I send her into the cutover/woods surrounding a food plot

Re: Shed hunting - 03/29/13 01:08 AM

My shed hunting partner.

Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Shed hunting - 03/29/13 02:41 AM

A friend of mine saw 2, 6 points and a spike in a field in south Dekalb county yesterday, all 3 still with fully intact headgear.
Posted By: TallCoHunter

Re: Shed hunting - 04/01/13 05:55 PM

Pulled cards yesterday and deer in Talladega county still hanging on to both sides.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Shed hunting - 04/01/13 07:01 PM

I am computer illiterate how do you post pics on here?

Re: Shed hunting - 04/01/13 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
I am computer illiterate how do you post pics on here?

Go to the pics and trail cam forum, at the top of the page there's some instructions.
Posted By: dattangdiff

Re: Shed hunting - 04/02/13 06:10 AM

Through camera work our bucks lose them as early as march 15 thru April 15th. Usually find them in plots and firebreaks

Re: Shed hunting - 04/10/13 08:29 PM

Found these on a burn today!

Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Shed hunting - 04/10/13 08:37 PM

Found the smaller one yesterday and bigger one today cruising timber in Macon County.
All the sheds I've been finding lately are from years past.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Shed hunting - 04/10/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: gobbler
Found these on a burn today!

Daaanngg!! That one on the right shed his whole head. laugh
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Shed hunting - 04/11/13 07:21 AM

Here are my "finds" thus far...I found the shed on the right after a burn (it's a few years old), but the other two are this year's sheds. I saw both of the bucks numerous times this past year. Glad to know they're still hanging around!

Re: Shed hunting - 04/11/13 07:41 AM

Way to go guys, love finding sheds. Not fun finding a match with the skull attached. frown
Can be tough up here in hillbilly land because we have sooooo much rugged and often times thick timber land. Those shed hunting articles in huntin' mags are always in the midwest where you can find 20 or more a day. Make it sound easy. I think in most timbered areas of Alabama if you can find 1/2 dozen a spring, that's about as good as it gets.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Shed hunting - 04/11/13 11:16 AM

I have picked up 6 in plots while turkey hunting the last few weeks.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Shed hunting - 04/11/13 10:01 PM

Fresh one from today

Old one from today.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Shed hunting - 04/13/13 11:58 PM

I've found 4 so far. Two from this year and two old ones. Found them cruising timber.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Shed hunting - 04/16/13 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bwhunter

Found the smaller one yesterday and bigger one today cruising timber in Macon County.
All the sheds I've been finding lately are from years past.

Those are really cool finds!

Re: Shed hunting - 04/20/13 09:07 AM

Nice matching pair found turkey hunting this AM:

© 2024 ALDEER.COM