Aldeer.com

Confused about baiting rule now

Posted By: LIOJeff

Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 02:39 AM

So what is the new baiting rule that was voted on????
100yds out if sight?
Permit?
Protein?
Close to food plot?
Posted By: cdcrosshunt

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 02:44 AM

Check out the march 9th cab meeting discussion.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:02 AM

From the way I understand it the CAB basically just defined the term "area".

You must be 100 yards from the feeder and it must be out of your line of sight.

As far as I can tell, no other regulations attached.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:16 AM

Answer is pretty simple. If you have questions of whether you are hunting over bait, then you probably are. I know if the State doesn't define it for some they can't figure out ways around the rule of hunting over bait.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:22 AM

Ok. I see where someone cleared it up. Two different rules were getting mixed together.
Posted By: 49er

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Fun4all
Answer is pretty simple. If you have questions of whether you are hunting over bait, then you probably are. I know if the State doesn't define it for some they can't figure out ways around the rule of hunting over bait.

It's not simple unless the confusion is cleared up to make it simple like it should be.

Your definition of an "affected area" may be entirely different from mine. When statutes are written, the accused is not supposed to be left to guess at what is required. It is not fair to leave interpretation of criminal statutes up to each individual law enforcement officer.

Here's a discription of the "Void for Vagueness Doctrine" from an Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals opinion:

Quote:
... The court has said:

"`As generally stated, the void-for vagueness doctrine requires that a penal statute define the criminal offense with sufficient definiteness that ordinary people can understand what conduct is prohibited and in a manner that does not encourage arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement.' Kolender v. Lawson, 461 U.S. 352 [357], 103 S.Ct. 1855, 1858, 75 L.Ed.2d 903 (1983) (citations omitted). A statute challenged for vagueness must therefore be scrutinized to determine whether it provides both fair notice to the public that certain conduct is proscribed and minimal guidelines to aid officials in the enforcement of that proscription. See Kolender, supra; Grayned v. City of Rockford, 408 U.S. 104, 92 S.Ct. 2294, 33 L.Ed.2d 222 (1972). If the statute `either forbids or requires the doing of an act in terms so vague that men of common intelligence must necessarily guess at its meaning and differ as to its application,' it is void for vagueness. Connally v. General Construction Co., 269 U.S. 385, 391, 46 S.Ct. 126, 127, 70 L.Ed. 322 (1926)."
McCorkle v. State, 446 So.2d 684, 685 (Ala. Crim.App.1983). See also State v. Gooden, 570 So.2d 865 (Ala.Crim.App.1990).

"The void for vagueness doctrine ... protects against legislation providing insufficient warning of what conduct is unlawful. E.g., Village of Hoffman Estates v. Flipside, Hoffman Estates, Inc., 455 U.S. 489, 102 S.Ct. 1186, 71 L.Ed.2d 362 (1982). The doctrine was stated by the United States Supreme Court in Kolender v. Lawson, 461 U.S. 352 [357], 103 S.Ct. 1855, 1858, 75 L.Ed.2d 903 (1983), as follows: `... the void-for-vagueness doctrine requires that a penal statute define the criminal offense with sufficient definiteness that ordinary people can understand what conduct is prohibited and in a manner that does not encourage arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement.' (Citations omitted.) The Court in Kolender, supra, further opined that the most important aspect of the void-for-vagueness doctrine is `not actual notice, but the other principal element of the doctrine—the requirement that a legislature establish minimal guidelines to govern law enforcement,' quoting Smith v. Goguen, 415 U.S. 566, 94 S.Ct. 1242, 39 L.Ed.2d 605 (1974). These minimal guidelines should be provided in order to avoid `a standardless sweep [that] allows policemen, prosecutors and juries to pursue their personal predilections.' Smith, supra, at 575, 94 S.Ct. at 1248." 1265*1265 Kerr v. State, 474 So.2d 142, 144 (Ala.Crim. App.1984), rev'd on other grounds, Ex parte Kerr, 474 So.2d 145 (Ala.1985). ...

Timmons v. City of Montgomery, 641 So. 2d 1263 - Ala: Court of Criminal Appeals 1993

Posted By: doghunter29

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 12:51 PM

Yall makin this harder than it really is. 100 yards thats 300 ft. out of plain site. but as Commisioner said behind a bale of hay is not considered out of site. he also said the game warden has the right to shoose if its out of site.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 01:31 PM

Disagree, laws and regs should NOT be up to the officer. In this case in sight or out of sight. I agree with 9er, welcome back BTW.
Where does this leave the old reg? Lets say you have "feed" out and are 100+ yards away and out of sight. The day the last grain is gone you move closer than 100 yards, has the "feed" now magically become "bait" because you haven't waited 10 days since last grain is gone per old reg? crazy confused
IMO,They should make it legal or illegal and quit playing.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: doghunter29
Yall makin this harder than it really is. 100 yards thats 300 ft. out of plain site. but as Commisioner said behind a bale of hay is not considered out of site. he also said the game warden has the right to shoose if its out of site.

If the game warden is left to interpret the law, then the law and the Commissioner's interpretation of the law in the form of this rule is subject to being declared void if the accused chooses to fight it.

The Commissioner is a lawyer, so he should know better. His opinion just hasn't been challenged by the rght person yet:

Here's what our courts have already declared:

Quote:
"`[A]mbiguous criminal statutes must be narrowly interpreted, in favor of the accused.' United States v. Herring, 933 F.2d 932, 937 (11th Cir.1991). `[I]t is well established that criminal statutes should not be "extended by construction."' Ex parte Evers, 434 So.2d 813, 817 (Ala.1983). "`[C]riminal statutes must be strictly construed, to avoid ensnaring behavior that is not clearly proscribed.'" United States v. Bridges, 493 F.2d 918, 922 (5th Cir.1974).

"`In United States v. Boston & M. RR Co., 380 U.S. 157, 85 S.Ct. 868, 870, 13 L.Ed.2d 728 (1965), the Supreme Court stated:

"`"A criminal statute is to be construed strictly, not loosely. Such are the teachings of our cases from United States v. Wiltberger, 5 Wheat. 76, 5 L.Ed. 37 [(1820)], down to this day. Chief Justice Marshall said in that case:

"`"`The rule that penal laws are to be construed strictly, is, perhaps, not much less old than construction itself. It is founded on the tenderness of the law for the rights of individuals; and on the plain principle that the power of punishment is vested in the legislative, not in the judicial department.' Id., p. 95.

"`"The fact that a particular activity may be within the same general classification and policy of those covered does not necessarily bring it within the ambit of the criminal prohibition. United States v. Weitzel, 246 U.S. 533, 38 S.Ct. 381, 62 L.Ed. 872 [(1918)]."

"`Moreover, "one `is not to be subjected to a penalty unless the words of the statute plainly impose it,' Keppel v. Tiffin Savings Bank, 197 U.S. 356, 362, 25 S.Ct. 443, 49 L.Ed. 790 [(1905)]. `[W]hen choice has to be made between two readings of what conduct Congress has made a crime, it is appropriate, before we choose the harsher alternative, to require that Congress should have spoken in language that is clear and definite.' United States v. Universal C.I.T. Credit Corp., 344 U.S. 218, 221-222, 73 S.Ct. 227, 229-230, 97 L.Ed. 260 [(1952)]." United States v. Campos-Serrano, 404 U.S. 293, 297, 92 S.Ct. 471, 474, 30 L.Ed.2d 457 (1971).'

"Bridges, 493 F.2d at 923.

"`Words used in the statute must be given their natural, plain, ordinary, and commonly understood meaning.' Alabama Farm Bureau Mut. Casualty Ins. Co. v. City of Hartselle, 460 So.2d 1219, 1223 (Ala.1984). The general rule of construction for the provisions of the Alabama Criminal Code is found in Ala. Code 1975, § 13A-1-6: `All provisions of this title shall be construed according to the fair import of their terms to promote justice and to effect the objects of the law, including the purposes stated in section 13A-1-3.' Among the purposes stated in § 13A-1-4 is that found in subsection (2): `To give fair warning of the nature of the conduct proscribed.'"

599 So.2d at 1264-65. Moreover, "the law favors rational and sensible construction," and "[i]n construing statutes, courts are not required to abandon common sense." Hankins v. State, 989 So.2d 610, 618 (Ala. Crim.App.2007).

Archie Phillip's case is a clear example of a Commissioner's personal opinion being struck down as contradicting settled law. That can happen again if hunters are not given fair warning of what is expected by a Commissioner's rules.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 02:52 PM

I aggree.... Thats just what He said. I dont care about hunting over corn. I hunt with dogs.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 02:58 PM

I aggree.... Thats just what He said. I dont care about hunting over corn. I hunt with dogs.

You should care even if you don't hunt over bait. Like me, you probably hunt where some folks use corn for drawing deer to cameras and hunting over bait. They probably have permits from the Commissioner to hunt over bait like he has given on the property I hunt.

One day it is considered to be legal by the Commissioner, the next day he will nail you to the wall for doing it.

I don't want to get caught in his money trap.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:01 PM

its all about the Benjamins lol
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:02 PM

I hope they remove the 'with the aid of bait' part too. I was told by an over-zealous Warden that it was illegal to release my dogs at deer protein feeders in the Summer time without a permit since it was using bait.

Just make it legal or illegal and be done with it!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:05 PM

lmao was ya hunting or just runnin em ?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:10 PM

Catching hogs that were eating all the feed.

BUT, he told me that HE could write me a permit and it would be legal.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
I hope they remove the 'with the aid of bait' part too. I was told by an over-zealous Warden that it was illegal to release my dogs at deer protein feeders in the Summer time without a permit since it was using bait.

Just make it legal or illegal and be done with it!

What did he say about the permits he signs himself to allow game animals to be hunted over bait? Who gave him authority to ignore the law?

Or permits he signs to hunt deer over bait instead of opening the season on does to reduce the population like the law requires?

It's time to dump this whole mess and be done with it like you say.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 03:15 PM

Oh, he was quick to point out the fact that HE could write me a permit........

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 04:14 PM

Yeah, and you would have to sign at the bottom of that permit vowing to abide by all laws and ordinances.

Are you willing to lie to use a depredation permit? I'm not.

Quoting directly from a depredation permit:

Quote:
By accpeting this permit, the permittee agrees to abide by all state and local laws and ordinances.

That agreement doesn't allow you to do anything that a person without a permit cannot do. It just means game wardens will look the other way while you do it.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 06:12 PM

Well I don't care about corn nor dogs. I hunt with a bow and gun. laugh
Posted By: Clem

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/10/13 06:30 PM

Quote:
They probably have permits from the Commissioner to hunt over bait like he has given on the property I hunt.

People on your property hunt deer over corn/feed with a special permit from the commissioner? Is that what you're saying?
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

thumbup thumbup
Posted By: G/H

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 01:16 AM

Dumb question: does this pertain just to deer or to turkey hunting also

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 01:36 AM

deer and hogs
Posted By: Deepwater

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: G/H

whistle
Posted By: Duckshooter

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 05:26 AM

Disagree, laws and regs should NOT be up to the officer. In this case in sight or out of sight. I agree with 9er, welcome back BTW.
Where does this leave the old reg? Lets say you have "feed" out and are 100+ yards away and out of sight. The day the last grain is gone you move closer than 100 yards, has the "feed" now magically become "bait" because you haven't waited 10 days since last grain is gone per old reg? crazy confused

+1 sounds like they're the ones trying to bait hunters to write more fines.
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 01:47 PM

so based on this new law, how many clubs/ landowners will implement a year around "feeding program"?

I personally see it being as close to legalized baiting as possible without technically legalizing baiting, but just curious if this law will mostly just help those that already feed through out the year (which would be good in their case) or encourage hunters to use corn to help their odds while hunting. I haven't read the law yet so don't know if feeders are required, certain amount of protein, etc., etc....
Posted By: G/H

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Deepwater
Originally Posted By: G/H

whistle

Aren't u suppose to be offshore somewhere? Squeaky(hog killer ) find us any land?
Posted By: globe

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/11/13 10:31 PM

Surely it's all game animals.
I was wondering too
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: globe
I was wondering too

Me too. I've got a game camera going over a corn pile and I intend to hunt the property. Turkeys usually hang out in the chufa patch which is on the far side of the 150 acres. Just wonder if I get to chasing one and he heads to the corn how close can I get, ect..
I say just legalize it. The folks who want to hunt over corn are doing it anyway. We don't do it on our lease, and wouldn't if it were legal, but I don't have a moral issue with it.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jmj120
I was wondering too

Me too. I've got a game camera going over a corn pile and I intend to hunt the property. Turkeys usually hang out in the chufa patch which is on the far side of the 150 acres. Just wonder if I get to chasing one and he heads to the corn how close can I get, ect..
I say just legalize it. The folks who want to hunt over corn are doing it anyway. We don't do it on our lease, and wouldn't if it were legal, but I don't have a moral issue with it.

Amazing! Wouldn't on one hand and would on the other!!
Posted By: westflgator

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 04:49 AM

The folks who want to hunt over corn are doing it anyway.

So you are saying that most folks normally only follow the laws that they agree with?

What is this statement based on? Is this the way you do things, so you just assume everyone else does the same? I know a lot of clubs illegally bait, but to say that everyone who wants to corn is already doing it, is basically saying everyone who wants to hunt over corn is already an outlaw.

I personally hope it's never legallized because of the issues it creates within a club, and the fact that I've done both (in FL), and I prefer to hunt deer in a more natural pattern. But that is my opinion, and I don't have a problem with the ones that want to legalize it. I don't assume they are all outlaws.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 12:37 PM

agree...

the "might as well do it or make something legal, cause everyone else is doing it" is terrible logic. You are basically saying that we should make laws to comply with those that break laws... crazy
Posted By: Shawn

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 12:47 PM

Dan moultrie will want mandatory feeders..

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 12:48 PM

Has anybody actually read the proposal that has ALREADY been voted on and passed????

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: westflgator

So you are saying that most folks normally only follow the laws that they agree with? ...

Do most folks quit hunting deer at sunset?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: 49er

So you are saying that most folks normally only follow the laws that they agree with? ...

Do most folks quit hunting deer at sunset?

You are gonna have to show that 'sunset' Law.......

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 01:23 PM

Sure!!!

Quote:
Section 9-11-235
Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals, raccoons or opossums at night; nighttime hunting of foxes with dogs.

It shall be unlawful, except as to trapping as otherwise provided by law, for a person to take, capture, or kill, or attempt to take, capture, or kill any bird or animal protected by the laws of this state between sunset and daylight of the following day, except that the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may by a duly promulgated regulation, allow the taking, catching, or killing of raccoons and opossums between sunset and daylight in any county or counties within the state. ...

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 01:43 PM

OK.....you got me.....

I 'chose' to go by the Regulation (220-2-.07) that the ALDCNR set instead of the State Law dictated by the Legislature. The Regulation says 'daylight hours'.
Posted By: striker6126

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 03:19 PM

So you are saying that most folks normally only follow the laws that they agree with?

I would have to agree with this statement when it comes to hunting over bait. The convenience store down the street from my house sells 2 tons of corn each week during hunting season.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 03:39 PM

I agree.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: striker6126

I would have to agree with this statement when it comes to hunting over bait. The convenience store down the street from my house sells 2 tons of corn each week during hunting season.

By that logic we should just legalize drugs, moonshine, gambling, prostitution,
speeding, running red lights, driving drunk etc.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84

I agree.

Well, it is ALREADY illegal. What we need
to do is just keep it that way!

There is no
problem here. Game wardens are perfectly capable of
enforcing the law here. They are not stupid. They know
when someone is using corn etc. to hunt with.

If some folks just need additional guidance
then just define "area" as follows:

"No hunting within 500 (five hundred) yards of
any bait/corn/etc."

If you are hunting closer than 500 yards to the corn/bait
you are wrote up. Plain and simple. End of story.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 05:03 PM

End of story?

Not 'til we get my version of ethics written into the law. I believe it's both unethical and illegal to swear with your hand on a Bible to support our constitutions and then practice usurpation and oppression using the limited authority that has been delegated to you.

Constitution of Alabama 1901

Quote:
SECTION 35
Objective of government.

That the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 05:08 PM

End of story?

Not 'til we get my version of ethics written into the law. I believe it's both unethical and illegal to swear with your hand on a Bible to support our constitutions and then practice usurpation and oppression the authority that has been delegated to you.

Quote:
SECTION 35
Objective of government.

That the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression.

You hyper-libertarian anarchists don't count. Go
take a seat at the back of the bus. wink

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: WmHunter

I was not advocating making anything legal . I said ,I agree people follow laws they agree with , and used hunting over bait as an example.

I do not care if it is legal or not it will not change the way I hunt .
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 05:16 PM

I agree.

There is no

any bait/corn/etc."

There's one big obstacle with the "500 yard law". If your neighbor puts his feeder near your property line, you have allowed your neighbor to dictate hunting on your property. Any law that includes a distance also has to include the same distance away from a property line. Otherwise, you're going to have some serious issues.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 06:11 PM

Bamarich,

How would you feel if the law prohibited fishing with bait?

Can you define the public interest that should override individual liberty to decide whether hunting over bait is ethical or not?

Ethics are closely kin to religion. We have provisions in our constitutions that prohibit our government from establishing religious beliefs through laws. How is the issue of hunting over bait or fishing with bait different from establishing religious beliefs using the law?
Posted By: kkeith1957

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 07:00 PM

It doesn`t matter how simple you make things........some people will never get it .....
Posted By: Ponderosa

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 07:07 PM

Stupid question here, but is this law really a law yet? Doesn't it still have to be passed at a higher level still. Sorry, I have not been able to varify anything.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamarich2

I agree.

There is no

any bait/corn/etc."

There's one big obstacle with the "500 yard law". If your neighbor puts his feeder near your property line, you have allowed your neighbor to dictate hunting on your property. Any law that includes a distance also has to include the same distance away from a property line. Otherwise, you're going to have some serious issues.

Obviously,
any distance rule would only apply to the owned or leased - hunted
property. A reg could also simply ban anyone using bait or feeders
for any reason at any time of the year within 100 yards of a property
line.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 08:24 PM

I was not advocating making anything legal . I said ,I agree people follow laws they agree with , and used hunting over bait as an example.

none of us follow all laws to the T but a lot of us try. To say people in general only follow laws they agree with is stepping way out. I don't agree with our current tax laws but I still pay them...thats just one of many laws I follow but don't agree with. What about those that hunt in South Bama that haven't been able to hunt a real rut...you think most of them just go ahead and shoot deer in February? I just don't get your logic...

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 08:27 PM

I agree.

There is no

any bait/corn/etc."

so make it illegal to put a feeder out with in x amount of yards of your property line (besides who puts feeder's on property lines?...defeats the purpose) Go with 200 yds...100 yds is simply legalizing without legalizing...

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 08:42 PM

Bamarich,

How would you feel if the law prohibited fishing with bait?

Can you define the public interest that should override individual liberty to decide whether hunting over bait is ethical or not?

Ethics are closely kin to religion. We have provisions in our constitutions that prohibit our government from establishing religious beliefs through laws. How is the issue of hunting over bait or fishing with bait different from establishing religious beliefs using the law?

??? Not sure why you're picking a bone with me. I'm just saying that if there's a restriction on proximity to the feeder, there is going to have to be one in relation to the property line also. Otherwise, guys are going to get fined for something they have no opportunity to know about. I'm neither for it/against it in this thread... just pointing out a possible issue.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: truedouble

I agree.

There is no

any bait/corn/etc."

so make it illegal to put a feeder out with in x amount of yards of your property line (besides who puts feeder's on property lines?...defeats the purpose) Go with 200 yds...100 yds is simply legalizing without legalizing...

"100 yards is simply legalizing without legalizing", TD, I'd say you hit that nail square on the head.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 09:56 PM

Most good clubs feed 8 months out of the year , and plant fields for year round feeding the only thing I see is it puts everyone on the same playing field you have a choice now feed or don`t feed,you can always pattern that doe or that buck way before he gets to that feeder if you put the time in. So when it is put in (black and white) where each and everyone can read then it will be clear as to what we as hunter can and can`t do.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 10:10 PM

none of us follow all laws to the T but a lot of us try. To say people in general only follow laws they agree with is stepping way out. I don't agree with our current tax laws but I still pay them...thats just one of many laws I follow but don't agree with. What about those that hunt in South Bama that haven't been able to hunt a real rut...you think most of them just go ahead and shoot deer in February? I just don't get your logic...

What I mean is it's basically an un-enforceable law. Sure, they'll write a few tickets every year, but the GWs I know are quick to say they don't go out of their way to ticket baiters unless there are complaints.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: kkeith1957
Most good clubs feed 8 months out of the year ,

I don't have any real basis for my opinion but my guess is very few clubs feed 8 months out of the year (good or "bad). Clover fields, corn, beans, peas etc. can be more beneficial and less expensive than keeping feeders full. In an ideal world with unlimited funds both would be ideal, but I just don't think many clubs feed year around. JMO

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/12/13 11:17 PM

Most of the ones that I know of and the land that I have ,feed some kinda supplemental keep feeders full and plant corn ,beans,
clover for our club very easy done I have 1260 acres with 5 memebers and we work a 40 hour week like every one else and we make it happen. We are a small time hunting club compared to some that have 3 and 4 thousand acres with 45 to 60 members Have to tell ya it is expensive corn is outrages
have to buy that stuff in bulk .....

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:02 AM

This is not a LAW.....

it is simply a definition of the very vague, and often abused, term AREA.

It is now defined that if you are closer than 100 yds and in sight of a bait pile or feeder.....you are hunting over bait.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:37 AM

This is not a LAW.....

It is now defined that if you are closer than 100 yds and in sight of a bait pile or feeder.....you are hunting over bait.

Agree. And every GW I've spoken with thinks it's a joke.
Just like the stupid honor system for the 3 buck limit.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:41 AM

??? Not sure why you're picking a bone with me. I'm just saying that if there's a restriction on proximity to the feeder, there is going to have to be one in relation to the property line also. Otherwise, guys are going to get fined for something they have no opportunity to know about. I'm neither for it/against it in this thread... just pointing out a possible issue.

Actually, there's no need for a property line restriction. That matter has already been settled:

Quote:
... Requiring, for one to be convicted of violating § 9-11-244, that he either knew or should have known that the area over which he was hunting was baited does not render § 9-11-244 unenforceable. Requiring such a low level of mental culpability simply requires the State to prove that with reasonable investigation the hunter could have discovered the bait. The imposition of a low-level standard of mental culpability also protects a hunter who performed the necessary investigation, but was unable to detect the presence of bait, perhaps because he was barred by a property line. ...

Ex parte Phillips, 771 So. 2d 1066 - Ala: Supreme Court 2000

Not really picking a bone ... just wondering why you would add more restrictions in order to enforce a law that should never have been passed to begin with.

It should be repealed so we could be done with all this confusion, don't you think? How does this law benefit the public in any form?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:58 AM

I reckon it will be clarified, but I didn't see the words "bait pile" in the wording. All I saw was "feeder".

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 01:22 AM

Actually, there's no need for a property line restriction. That matter has already been settled:

Quote:
... Requiring, for one to be convicted of violating § 9-11-244, that he either knew or should have known that the area over which he was hunting was baited does not render § 9-11-244 unenforceable. Requiring such a low level of mental culpability simply requires the State to prove that with reasonable investigation the hunter could have discovered the bait. The imposition of a low-level standard of mental culpability also protects a hunter who performed the necessary investigation, but was unable to detect the presence of bait, perhaps because he was barred by a property line. ...

Ex parte Phillips, 771 So. 2d 1066 - Ala: Supreme Court 2000

Not really picking a bone ... just wondering why you would add more restrictions in order to enforce a law that should never have been passed to begin with.

It should be repealed so we could be done with all this confusion, don't you think? How does this law benefit the public in any form?

Hadn't been keeping up with the whole thing... just saw a problem when someone said "just make a 500 yard rule and be done with it." Have been in a county before with an eager game warden before who would probably ignore the property line idea unless it was mentioned in the restriction. JMO

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 11:39 AM

OK.....you got me.....

I 'chose' to go by the Regulation (220-2-.07) that the ALDCNR set instead of the State Law dictated by the Legislature. The Regulation says 'daylight hours'.

I got you again ... the STATUTE says "sunset":

Quote:
… The provisions of a statute will prevail in any case of a conflict between a statute and an agency regulation.
Ex parte State Dep't of Human Resources, 548 So.2d 176 (Ala.1988).

An administrative regulation must be consistent with the statutes under which its promulgation is authorized.
Ex parte City of Florence, 417 So.2d 191 (Ala.1982).

An administrative agency cannot usurp legislative powers or contravene a statute.
Alabama State Milk Control Bd. v. Graham, 250 Ala. 49, 33 So.2d 11 (1947).

A regulation cannot subvert or enlarge upon statutory policy.
Jefferson County Bd. of Ed. v. Alabama Bd. of Cosmetology, 380 So.2d 913 (Ala.Civ.App.1980).

Regulation 810-3-15-.05(10) therefore cannot override Ala. Code 1975, § 40-18-8(j).

Ex parte Jones Mfg. Co., Inc., 589 So. 2d 208 - Ala: Supreme Court 1991

Quote:
"`It is well established that criminal statutes should not be "extended by construction."'"
Ex parte Mutrie, 658 So.2d 347, 349 (Ala.1993)...

Ex parte Bertram, 884 So. 2d 889 - Ala: Supreme Court 2003

Quote:
"`Principles of statutory construction instruct this Court to interpret the plain language of a statute to mean exactly what it says and to engage in judicial construction only if the language in the statute is ambiguous.' Ex parte Pratt, 815 So. 2d 532, 535 (Ala. 2001).

EX PARTE ANKROM, Ala: Court of Civil Appeals 2013

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:01 PM

This thread is way too technical for me. I'm going to go back to being a regular deer hunter. I'll check back later to see if you guys work this thing out.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ponderosa
This thread is way too technical for me. I'm going to go back to being a regular deer hunter. I'll check back later to see if you guys work this thing out.

I see you're new here, welcome,Ponderosa meet 49er.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 01:17 PM

If you plan to hunt, the best thing you can do to stay out of trouble is to either learn the volumes of laws and rules or have a lawyer hunting with you.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 02:48 PM

If you plan to hunt, the best thing you can do to stay out of trouble is to either learn the volumes of laws and rules or have a lawyer hunting with you.

Or just lock the gate behind you.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 02:57 PM

I see you're new here, welcome,Ponderosa meet 49er.

Thanks! Great source of info here.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 04:43 PM

[quote=truedouble

so make it illegal to put a feeder out with in x amount of yards of your property line (besides who puts feeder's on property lines?...defeats the purpose) Go with 200 yds...100 yds is simply legalizing without legalizing... [/quote]

Agree - go with a 200 yard restriction. Absolutely.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 04:54 PM

This is not a LAW.....

Agree. And every GW I've spoken with thinks it's a joke.
Just like the stupid honor system for the 3 buck limit.

100 yards IS a joke. A big fat *!@%^& joke. That
is LEGALIZED baiting as anyone is capable of tactically
using "out of sight" corn at 101 or even 300 yards.

Who the heck came up with this garbage? And I mean
names and addresses of all involved.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 05:07 PM

I agree, the law is garbage. thumbup

The garbage part was likely added when the original statute was last amended in 1991.

The sponsor's name was Haynes, but it don't give his address. He called it "Animal Protection". It don't say what animal rights group he represented though.

Acts 1991, No. 91-591, p. 1093, §1

The governor who signed the amendment was a republican, Guy Hunt. He doesn't have an address now, he died. (Lieutenant Governor Jim Folsom, Jr. became governor upon conviction of Guy Hunt for ethics violations) Ain't that a bitch?

Maybe this whole mess will be put in the garbage soon by our legislature. That's where it belongs.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 05:56 PM

It really shouldn't be an issue here. Nobody here has ever hunted anywhere near corn....... wink

Where is the sarcasm button?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 06:09 PM

It really shouldn't be an issue here. Nobody here has ever hunted anywhere near corn....... wink

Where is the sarcasm button?

You know all that corn sold during deer season is to feed squirrels in people's yards........ wink
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 06:20 PM

It aint my fault if a deer comes and eats my squirrel feed.
Posted By: Beer Belly

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 06:34 PM

Quit worrying about the baiting and completely legalize it. Then the GW's can be more concerned with dangerous activities (e.g. hunting at night).
Posted By: globe

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 07:31 PM

On the bright side, this will prevent SOME people from baiting and shooting out their back doors.
Maybe.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/13/13 07:42 PM

On the bright side, this will prevent SOME people from baiting and shooting out their back doors.
Maybe.

I can hang shiny objects in my back yard and attract Mexicans.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 12:54 AM

This is not a LAW.....

this law sucks and so did the old law, BUT previously area could have reasonably been interpreted by a fair GW or a law abiding hunter as far more than 100 yds away from a feeder. In other words in the past I doubt a hunter who honestly tried to follow all hunting regs. and ONLY continued to feed during hunting season for feeding purposes would have ever considered hunting 100 yds away from a feeder. So now, area has been defined as being much smaller than most would have thought and is small enough that bait can now fairly easily assist a hunter in killing a deer. If the real purpose was to define area in a way that would allow clubs and landowners to feed year around without having to worry about whether or not they were breaking the law then they would have defined area as much greater than a distance of 100 yds.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 01:07 AM

Ahhh.. You are one who always obeys the legal hunting hours?
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 02:10 AM

I'll just go find me an oak tree dropping acorns since baiting ain't allowed.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BowtechDan
I'll just go find me an oak tree dropping acorns since baiting ain't allowed.

This . even if baiting was legal

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 06:37 PM

This is not a LAW.....

this law sucks and so did the old law, BUT previously area could have reasonably been interpreted by a fair GW or a law abiding hunter as far more than 100 yds away from a feeder. In other words in the past I doubt a hunter who honestly tried to follow all hunting regs. and ONLY continued to feed during hunting season for feeding purposes would have ever considered hunting 100 yds away from a feeder. So now, area has been defined as being much smaller than most would have thought and is small enough that bait can now fairly easily assist a hunter in killing a deer. If the real purpose was to define area in a way that would allow clubs and landowners to feed year around without having to worry about whether or not they were breaking the law then they would have defined area as much greater than a distance of 100 yds.

Good post. Agree completely. This is not a definition
of "area" rule, it is a legalized baiting rule and conflicts
with the statute against baiting.

I am disappointed in Comm. Guy big time.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/14/13 07:58 PM

Well at least it is a start.......how many others have done anything in the past.........Lets just see what his next move will be.
Posted By: JDute

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 01:06 AM

Pasted this in a related thread, but here it is again.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/alabama_conservation_officials.html

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 12:54 PM

Quote:
Sykes added the definition will allow people to continue to trap hogs on their land while still being able to hunt deer. Previously, the baited hog traps effectively prevented people from hunting deer in the area of the trap.

Mr. Sykes needs to read the law. When the commissioner classified feral hogs as a protected game animal, he made it illegal to bait or trap them. (9-11-244 and 9-11-245)

The "area" is only defined for deer and hogs in the proposed amended rule. If you kill any other species of game animal, that still leaves it to the discretion of the game warden to define "area". The "rebuttal" clause in the proposed change allows for the same thing. That is unconstitutional.

This whole mess is a money trap and it needs to disappear in its entirety. Our legislature needs to repeal it.

The rule will go thru the AAPA review and comment process. Hunters should use their opportunity to express their opinions before this is finalized.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 03:48 PM

Protecting feral hogs as a game animal is idiotic.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Protecting feral hogs as a game animal is idiotic.

I totally agree!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 05:24 PM

Quote:
Sykes added the definition will allow people to continue to trap hogs on their land while still being able to hunt deer. Previously, the baited hog traps effectively prevented people from hunting deer in the area of the trap.

Mr. Sykes needs to read the law. When the commissioner classified feral hogs as a protected game animal, he made it illegal to bait or trap them. (9-11-244 and 9-11-245)

The "area" is only defined for deer and hogs in the proposed amended rule. If you kill any other species of game animal, that still leaves it to the discretion of the game warden to define "area". The "rebuttal" clause in the proposed change allows for the same thing. That is unconstitutional.

This whole mess is a money trap and it needs to disappear in its entirety. Our legislature needs to repeal it.

The rule will go thru the AAPA review and comment process. Hunters should use their opportunity to express their opinions before this is finalized.

I agree - this new "rule" is the biggest buch of cockamemee bull I
have ever seen. I cannot believe how idiotic Chuck Sykes comments
are. Whoever appointed him as the new director of the Wildlife and
Freshwater Fish Dept. needs to have their head examined.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 06:38 PM

Some have accused me of citing court cases that are old, even though they still stand. Well the ink is still wet on this one:

Quote:
... To the extent that the Board, by adoption of a regulation that purports to amend a duly enacted statute, has sought to impose a further prerequisite upon parties to disciplinary proceedings before the Board before their appeals may be deemed perfected, the Board has done so in the absence of authority.

"It is settled law that the provisions of a statute will prevail in any case in which there is a conflict between the statute and a . . . regulation.

"`It is axiomatic that administrative rules and regulations must be consistent with the constitutional or statutory authority by which their promulgation is authorized. "A regulation . . . which operates to create a rule out of harmony with the statute, is a mere nullity." This is because an administrative board or agency is purely a creature of the legislature, and has only those powers conferred upon it by its creator.'

"An administrative agency cannot usurp legislative powers or contravene a statute."

Ex parte Crestwood Hosp. & Nursing Home, Inc., 670 So. 2d 45, 47 (Ala. 1995) (citations omitted; quoting Ex parte City of Florence, 417 So. 2d 191, 193-94 (Ala. 1982), quoting in turn Manhattan Gen. Equip. Co. v. Commissioner, 297 U.S. 129, 134 (1936))

IN RE EX PARTE CHAMBERS, Ala: Court of Civil Appeals 2013

The DCNR's new rule attempts to assume legislative powers that have not been delegated to it. There are bills currently pending before both the Alabama House and the Senate to define "affected area".

The DCNR was certainly aware that these bills had been introduced. The commissioner's action is too late. He missed his chance. He needs to butt out and leave the legislature do its job that it should have done long ago without trying to pull this scheme to write things into the law that are not there.

It is illegal to hunt with bait or to trap deer or hogs even with the commissioner's complicity. Coyotes can only be baited or trapped in compliance with laws that apply to animals classified as furbearers, and the commissioner has no lawful authority to allow doing so otherwise.

Our legislators need to take the bull by the horns and act on the bills that have currently been introduced.

Our legislators have made it clear that they will not take action unless they are prodded into doing so by hunters who are affected by all this mess. Those bills will continue to sit right there in the committees they have been referred to and they will die unless we act.

Bill in House Agriculture and Forestry Committee

HB118 Sponsor: Long
Conservation and Natural Resources Department, whitetail deer, may be hunted over bait under certain conditions, Sec. 9-11-244 am'd.

Bill in Senate Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry Committee
SB88 Sponsors: Whatley, Scofield, Ward

Conservation and Natural Resources Department, whitetail deer, may be hunted over bait under certain conditions, Sec. 9-11-244 am'd.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 06:45 PM

What if the CAB members read this and repeal their suggestion and it does not go forward.

Now, we are STILL in the same muck, mess and mire that we were/are.

Who is going to define 'Area'???

The way I read their Proposal, that is all they did.
I do not see a new Law or Regulation allowing Hunting over Bait.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 06:52 PM

Our legislature can, and should straighten this out. If it doesn't, the courts can do it for them if hunters are willing to give them the opportunity.

The DNCR's solution just adds more confusion to the mix.

It expands the law by adding things such as the "rebuttal" clause, and allowing two game animals to be hunted under circumstances that the law, when applied to the rest of the game animals, defines as a crime.

Their proposed expansion/amendment of the law is an unconstitutional assumption of legislative powers.

[Read the quote from the recent case I cited above for an explanation of what I'm talking about.]

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 06:58 PM

I agree on the 'picking and choosing' of the animals that it includes. That makes no sense.

BUT, the term AREA has begged for definition for many years now. ALL of the different agencies have failed us in this regard!!!!!

So, in my humble opinion.....MAYBE this is a start, or catalyst, at the very least.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 07:00 PM

Why did they wait until the bills pending in the legislature were introduced?

This is a blatant attempt to circumvent legislative action. They should be working with the legislature to move the bills there forward in a sincere cooperative effort to correct these probems.

Quote:
Section 9-2-2

Powers and duties generally.

The general functions and duties of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall be as follows:

...(8) To recommend to the Legislature such legislation as may be needed further to protect, conserve, increase, or to make available or useful the wildlife and other natural resources, state parks and the monuments and historical sites of Alabama.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 07:03 PM

I have come to the conclusion that a turkey would wade thru a cornpile to get to a chuffa patch.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 07:23 PM

One of two things should happen:

The legislature needs to repeal its prohibition of hunting protected animals with the aid of bait or it needs to amend the law to read:

Section 9-11-244
Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals by means of bait.

No person at any time shall take, catch, kill or attempt to take, catch or kill any bird or animal protected by law or regulation of the State of Alabama by means, aid or use, directly or indirectly, of any bait such as shelled, shucked or unshucked corn or of wheat or other grain, salt or any other feed whatsoever that has been so deposited, placed, distributed or scattered as to constitute for such birds or animals a lure, attraction or enticement to, on or over within the distance of 100 yards area where such hunter or hunters are attempting to kill or take them; .provided, that such birds or animals may be taken under properly shocked corn and standing crops of corn, wheat or other grain or feed and grains scattered solely as a result of normal agricultural harvesting and provided further, migratory birds may be hunted under the most recent provisions established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources within the limits of the federal regulations.
(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §1; Acts 1991, No. 91-591, p. 1093, §1.)

Section 9-11-245
Unlawful methods of hunting birds or animals protected by law or regulation.

No person shall at any time make use of any pitfall, deadfall, baited field, cage, trap, net, pen, baited hook, snare, poison, or explosive, or chemical for the purpose of injuring, capturing, or killing birds or animals protected by law or regulation of this state. This section shall not prevent the trapping of animals classified as fur-bearing animals by a duly licensed fur catcher. It shall be legal to use a scaffold for gun hunting of all legal game species except wild turkey and to use a scaffold for bow hunting of all legal game species.

(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §2; Acts 1975, No. 195, p. 681, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-563, p. 1174, §1.)

The commissioner needs to make the following change:

The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear, Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox, Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf,. Feral Swine (Wild Hog), except those feral swine reduced to the personal possession of a landowner or his agent, provided, however, that notwithstanding such reduction to personal possession, in the event such feral swine are hunted, they shall at such time of hunting be designated as game animals.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 08:24 PM

I disagree with the chemical part......poison is an indiscriminate killer that has NO place in the outdoors!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 08:30 PM

My change leaves the prohibition against using poison.

It allows using chemicals such as those found in scents and urines that are widely used as attractants already but are ignored by enforcement officers.

Does this mean we agree now?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 08:40 PM

Pretty much.....

The Law is NOT supposed to be confusing, nor left to interpretation.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 08:56 PM

The law is also supposed to have as its purpose protection of a compelling public interest when individual freedom or rights are restricted.

I can think of no significant public interest that needs to be protected by prohibiting hunting with the aid of bait. The fact that some of us don't like it doesn't make it a compelling public interest. Preservation of liberty and freedom is a compelling public interest.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 09:14 PM

As I said....it should not be left to interpretation.

A food plot is bait; plain and simple.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 09:18 PM

True.

Notice I struck thru all the "normal agriculture planting" crap.

If it's food and it's planted to attract game for hunting, it's bait.

I would love to see the entire law repealed instead of just changed.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/19/13 09:20 PM

Makes the most sense to me!

Everyone wants a loophole that ONLY fits their specific situation.

Just do away with the whole thing!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 06:52 PM

Now, we are STILL in the same muck, mess and mire that we were/are.

Who is going to define 'Area'???...

Hogwild, we agree on most things when it comes to hunting
and a lot more when it comes to life, but have to disagree
with you on this. Your comment is a false straw man argument.
We are NOT in some "muck, mire, mess". To the contrary, every
human being is capable of knowing if they are using corn
or some other pour out, dump out etc. substance to attract
deer to an area or location in order to kill them. Game wardens
do too. They are not stupid.

If someone is so silly (or devious) that they need a definition
of "area" then it should be one where all reasonable minds could
agree that the corn is not and cannot be used to kill deer. And
that would be my 500 yard proposal.

Regards.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 07:05 PM

Tell that to my Father-in-Law and two others that received tickets for hunting over bait while hunting as guests in foodplots that had hog traps set in the woods beside them. The traps were baited with corn....BUT, not in sight of the shooting house. And say what you want; BUT I am not going to walk around a food plot looking around for corn before hunting it.

Or, how about the GW's being ordered to go to a high dollar high fence and flagging areas around protein feeders to designate 'area' so as to allow hunting and feeding to go on at the same time.

Or, to the GW that told me that I could not legally release my dogs at the protein feeders to trail up and bay the hogs that were eating all the guys expensive deer feed.

I could go on.
But, I think you are plenty intelligent enough to see that there are too many loopholes and WAYYYYYYY too many exeptions based on 'who' you are.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 08:30 PM

we need more rules and laws that'll fix it

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 09:35 PM

The most reasonable thing would be to either make feeding legal, or illegal, and quit beating around the bush!!!!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 10:36 PM

WmHunter,

Quote:
... If someone is so silly (or devious) that they need a definition of "area" then it should be one where all reasonable minds could agree that the corn is not and cannot be used to kill deer. And that would be my 500 yard proposal.

Regards.

The real question is why do we need this law at all?

Who can define the compelling public interest that is important enough to be worth all this confusion and injustice?

All we've seen thus far are people who simply don't agree with others being allowed to hunt with the aid of bait.

Danny has no reason to lie about his experiences. I believe he's telling the truth.

Archie Phillips was not lying about his experience, and he didn't deserve to be prosecuted for something he didn't do. Neither do hundreds of other hunters who have fallen or those who still may fall victim to this ridiculous money trap.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/20/13 11:17 PM

The most reasonable thing would be to either make feeding legal, or illegal, and quit beating around the bush!!!!

Feeding was already legal and so was baiting, it was just NOT in the form that everybody wanted, much easier to pour it out of the bag than to plant it and let it grow and continue to feed the wildlife after the season goes out. But that is obviously to hard for some to understand, or more likely requires effort. Now the baiting, excuse me, feeding is good for gun hunters but not for bowhunters, so why can't they say it only has to be ten yards from away and out of sight from the bowhunter??????????????????????

Sad when egos, ineptitude and searching for the lowest common denominator of effort and skill defind "hunting"!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 01:04 AM

Feeding was already legal and so was baiting, it was just NOT in the form that everybody wanted, much easier to pour it out of the bag than to plant it and let it grow and continue to feed the wildlife after the season goes out. But that is obviously to hard for some to understand, or more likely requires effort. Now the baiting, excuse me, feeding is good for gun hunters but not for bowhunters, so why can't they say it only has to be ten yards from away and out of sight from the bowhunter??????????????????????

Sad when egos, ineptitude and searching for the lowest common denominator of effort and skill defind "hunting"!

I am afraid that you are a little too full of yourself this afternoon.

Feeding is legal.
Baiting is illegal.

NO possible way, but the current Law, that feeding can be legally done on the same property as hunting under the current Regs.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 01:16 AM

Quote:
NO possible way, but the current Law, that feeding can be legally done on the same property as hunting under the current Regs.

Sure, it can. Depends on the game warden's discretion.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

It's up to the GW's first, then the Judge. Seems we keep forgetting about him.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 02:02 AM

Feeding is legal.
Baiting is illegal.

Just stating what should be the obvious! I believe you are of the opinion that a foodplot is baiting, correct?? If that is the case them baiting is already legal, just not in the form that one might believe is an easier way, correct?? You can plant a field of corn and not harvest it and it is a foodplot and be bait, correct?? Again it is just not the easy way, correct?? So baiting is already legal, correct?? It's just that many people want to kill the most and biggest deer the easiest way, correct?? Again the unending search for the lowest common denominator of effort and skill to kill a deer.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 02:04 AM

SO, your stance is that baiting is legal....if YOU agree with it.

That is not the way the Law is supposed to work.

Sorry!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 02:45 AM

Sorry!

Nope, not my stance at all. If a person considers a foodplot "bait" then baiting is already legal, it's just not the way that some folks want to bait because it takes effort. Hence, their never ending search to do it easier. Feeding deer during the deer season is NEVER about the deers health it is about killing deer and killing deer only!! Show me one person that thinks that deer can only survive in Alabama when they are feed during deer season and I will show you a person that sales "deer feed", deer corn or any other "feed" gimmick to make money on the "hunters". Like the commercial says "gotta level the playing field", seems like the liberals use that same slogan to take from the doers and give to the lazy, funny how it fits in both instances isn't it??

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 03:12 AM

It it passes and reads like it does so far I think I will wait a year or so before I try it. Game wardens sometimes don't use common sense in my opinion. I know of two cases in specific that I remember. A few years ago a friend of mine had a small lease near Andalusia with 3 food plots. Early in the season he invited a friend to go up with him. As they left the truck he reached in the back seat and picked up an old jacket from the past season as it was cool. As they walked to the plot he found a handful of pecans in the pocket. He started cracking them as they walked, and every one he cracked was rancid. When they got within sight of the plot he pointed out the ladder stand to his friend. He cracked another rancid pecan and threw it and two more on the ground. About 4:30 a game warden walked into the plot with his friend, checked the license and then told him he was getting a ticket for baiting, the three rancid pecans he had dropped on the ground, about a $470 fine. Another friend told me he, his grandson and a friend went to his small lease this past year with 3 food plots in January. They had put a camera on the edge of the plot with a half sack of corn in September and did not see any remains of the corn after a few days. The game warden went in to check them about 4:00 and he ask about them taking pictures of any good deer. He pointed out the area they had the camera and corn in Sept. The game warden literally sifted the dirt for several minutes before he found one black mostly rotten kernel, another $470 ticket. IMHO those two tickets should have never been written.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 10:28 AM

Sorry!

Nope, not my stance at all. If a person considers a foodplot "bait" then baiting is already legal, it's just not the way that some folks want to bait because it takes effort. Hence, their never ending search to do it easier. Feeding deer during the deer season is NEVER about the deers health it is about killing deer and killing deer only!! Show me one person that thinks that deer can only survive in Alabama when they are feed during deer season and I will show you a person that sales "deer feed", deer corn or any other "feed" gimmick to make money on the "hunters". Like the commercial says "gotta level the playing field", seems like the liberals use that same slogan to take from the doers and give to the lazy, funny how it fits in both instances isn't it??

I consider my plots legal bait. They serve two purposes, high quality food and attractant. A high quaility plot, surrounded by good cover and not over hunted is a well proven bait, IMHO. What's "goofy" about the whole thing to me is you can "feed" and stay 100+ yards away and out of sight and be legal, then after "feed" is gone move closer and it's magically "bait". And this could all depend on the GW to write it and then a Judge to interpret another way. crazy

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
It it passes and reads like it does so far I think I will wait a year or so before I try it. Game wardens sometimes don't use common sense in my opinion. I know of two cases in specific that I remember. A few years ago a friend of mine had a small lease near Andalusia with 3 food plots. Early in the season he invited a friend to go up with him. As they left the truck he reached in the back seat and picked up an old jacket from the past season as it was cool. As they walked to the plot he found a handful of pecans in the pocket. He started cracking them as they walked, and every one he cracked was rancid. When they got within sight of the plot he pointed out the ladder stand to his friend. He cracked another rancid pecan and threw it and two more on the ground. About 4:30 a game warden walked into the plot with his friend, checked the license and then told him he was getting a ticket for baiting, the three rancid pecans he had dropped on the ground, about a $470 fine. Another friend told me he, his grandson and a friend went to his small lease this past year with 3 food plots in January. They had put a camera on the edge of the plot with a half sack of corn in September and did not see any remains of the corn after a few days. The game warden went in to check them about 4:00 and he ask about them taking pictures of any good deer. He pointed out the area they had the camera and corn in Sept. The game warden literally sifted the dirt for several minutes before he found one black mostly rotten kernel, another $470 ticket. IMHO those two tickets should have never been written.

I would have taken both these to court. I have a friend that had a similar incident with corn. GW checked him, he was in a shooting house. GW walked up and whistled to him to come down. He was so nervous (just his personality) that he left gun and orange hat in the shooting house. GW sifted dirt and found a couple of old molded pieces of corn from way back in August (this was December). He started writing the ticket, my buddy tried to reason with him. At that point, the GW asked "where is your orange" buddy told him it was in the shooting house. He then wrote him a ticket for no orange. This was Tallapoosa County

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 06:51 PM

More false straw man argumentation. Feeding is legal for deer
and always has been. You just can't hunt near it
when the feed is corn or some other pour out substance.

The example involving your father in law is the fault of the
landowner who should not have put corn baited hog traps next to
his foodplots, and should have warned your FIL not to hunt that spot.

The first of the other two examples is a gamewarden problems not law problems.
If a clarification of law was in order for that situtuation it would be
that a person has no responsibility over someone else's property. Most
gamewardens already go by that.

The second situation the gamewarden is right to say you cannot
start a hog hunt at a corn bait station. Yeah, they ought to make
it legal to use any kind of bait for hogs and coyotes as they are
a nuisance.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/21/13 09:22 PM

More false straw man argumentation. Feeding is legal for deer
and always has been. You just can't hunt near it
when the feed is corn or some other pour out substance.

The example involving your father in law is the fault of the
landowner who should not have put corn baited hog traps next to
his foodplots, and should have warned your FIL not to hunt that spot.

The first of the other two examples is a gamewarden problems not law problems.
If a clarification of law was in order for that situtuation it would be
that a person has no responsibility over someone else's property. Most
gamewardens already go by that.

The second situation the gamewarden is right to say you cannot
start a hog hunt at a corn bait station. Yeah, they ought to make
it legal to use any kind of bait for hogs and coyotes as they are
a nuisance.

Still no definition of the "compelling public interest" that is involved when people hunt with the aid of bait.

All this confusion over hunting in a manner that never really affects the interest of the public much at all.

On the other hand, abuse of authority by officers who arbitrarily and capriciously interpret and enforce laws and rules is certainly a matter of public interest that should be properly addressed.

I view the shenanigans involved in the enforcement/lack of enforcement of the statute to be far more unethical than the act of hunting over bait itself.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/22/13 06:25 PM

Public = all landowners and hunters. Therefore
there *is* a legit public interest here, especially to
stop what many consider unethical hunting practices,
and also to prevent conflict between the citizenry
over such practices. Another valid public interest is the
preservation and promotion of woodsmanship skills.

Of course this would not be consistent
with libertarian anarchy.:)

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/22/13 07:23 PM

Public = all landowners and hunters. Therefore
there *is* a legit public interest here, especially to
stop what many consider unethical hunting practices,
and also to prevent conflict between the citizenry
over such practices. Another valid public interest is the
preservation and promotion of woodsmanship skills.

Of course this would not be consistent
with libertarian anarchy.:)

The public certainly does include all landowners and hunters.

That means hunters whose morals and ethics allow them to hunt over bait are unjustly restricted by their government due to the ethics and morals of those who do not hunt over bait.

There is no compelling public interest that justifies the restriction.

As for your libertarian anarchy remark:

My beliefs are in support of our constitutional republican form of government. Our state's constitution defines the legitimate purpose of government in Article I, Declaration of Rights Section 35:

Quote:
... the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression.

My beliefs fit that defintion of the legitimate role of government. I do not believe in hunting over bait, but I do believe our government should protect freedom and liberty.

Your support for a law that attempts to force the beliefs of some on others at the expense of freedom and liberty certainly does not fit our constitutional defintion of the legitimate purpose of government.
Posted By: dattangdiff

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/25/13 08:12 PM

I spoke with a local warden and he said if u got at the back of a food plot 110 yds away and left the sage standing and spread the corn out so u could see the yellow you would be fine.

I'm still not sold on the 100yd rule. I have to understand the purpose of a rule.

I just can't understand why a guy should be penalized for being 95 yds away and another guy be ok for being 110yds away.

I realize a rule is a rule but what was the point???

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/25/13 08:13 PM

Sorry so you could not see the corn

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/25/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dattangdiff
I spoke with a local warden and he said if u got at the back of a food plot 110 yds away and left the sage standing and spread the corn out so u could see the yellow you would be fine.

I'm still not sold on the 100yd rule. I have to understand the purpose of a rule.

I just can't understand why a guy should be penalized for being 95 yds away and another guy be ok for being 110yds away.

Speak with another game warden or two without telling them you have already gotten an opinion. then see if their opinions match.

The opinion you got does not match what the game warden's boss said:

Quote:
... A rebuttable presumption is one that is taken to be true unless someone comes forward to contest it and prove otherwise, Guy said.

"In this case, the rebuttable presumption is that if you are in compliance with the regulation, you're presumed not to be baiting, but that can be overcome by the evidence," Guy said.

The burden of proof still rests with the state to establish that the hunter placed the feed outside of an on-going supplemental feeding program and with the intent to lure or attract game to within shooting range, Guy said.

Alabama's conservation law enforcement chief Kevin Dodd said the new regulation will still require his officers to use their discretion when making baiting cases. ...

link to source here

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 01:09 AM

I agree. Another problem is that game warden told you his "opinion" not the law. The next GW could view it another way.
I've spoken to 3 GW's lately and all 3 think the CAB is a joke.
They just want clarity to make their job doable.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 01:30 AM

Quote:
... The burden of proof still rests with the state to establish that the hunter placed the feed outside of an on-going supplemental feeding program and with the intent to lure or attract game to within shooting range, Guy said.

this is unadulterated horsechitt. Make it totally illegal or make it where I can hide IN the feeder neck deep in corn and shoot the chitt out of em........and I personally don't care which it is.

this halfway, zig/zag, crap is worthless and is going to be a nightmare for the poor fellas in Enforcement...

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Quote:
... The burden of proof still rests with the state to establish that the hunter placed the feed outside of an on-going supplemental feeding program and with the intent to lure or attract game to within shooting range, Guy said.

this is unadulterated horsechitt. Make it totally illegal or make it where I can hide IN the feeder neck deep in corn and shoot the chitt out of em........and I personally don't care which it is.

this halfway, zig/zag, crap is worthless and is going to be a nightmare for the poor fellas in Enforcement...

Best post in the whole damn thread
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:55 AM

What if you set up on a long logging road 100 yds from where a feeder is off the road, in the thick pines, and out of sight. If you killed a deer crossing the road headed to the feeder, would that be baiting or feeding?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:59 AM

Tell that to my Father-in-Law and two others that received tickets for hunting over bait while hunting as guests in foodplots that had hog traps set in the woods beside them. The traps were baited with corn....BUT, not in sight of the shooting house. And say what you want; BUT I am not going to walk around a food plot looking around for corn before hunting it.

Or, how about the GW's being ordered to go to a high dollar high fence and flagging areas around protein feeders to designate 'area' so as to allow hunting and feeding to go on at the same time.

Or, to the GW that told me that I could not legally release my dogs at the protein feeders to trail up and bay the hogs that were eating all the guys expensive deer feed.

I could go on.
But, I think you are plenty intelligent enough to see that there are too many loopholes and WAYYYYYYY too many exeptions based on 'who' you are.

your FIL should have been told by the landowner that there was bait. Don't see how that would be a good example of how this law is going to help. My only sympathy would be for a landowner who feeds year around but hunts in completely different areas than his feeders but had some GW interpret the law in the wrong way....I'm sure this has happened but not enough to pass another BS law that creates more questions and problems than solutions.

As for high fence areas...who gives a rats arse? Let them kill deer tied to trees, at night, over feeders...NO HUNTING LAWS should be designed around high fence deer farms. Hunting laws should without question be written based on free range/ fair chase only.

By the way, take a foodplot with a a couple of cedar trees out in the middle...place a feeder behind the cedar trees at 101 yds from your stand. This is completely legal according to one of the CAB members. Please tell me how this isn't legalizing baiting. If you are pro baiting, fine, but don't tell me that you believe this law does anything productive in regards to defining area for the sole purpose of allowing land managers to feed (not bait) year around.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 03:05 AM

Feeding is legal.
Baiting is illegal.

you sure about that?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 03:07 AM

Year round supplemental feeding doesn't have to be sack feed, a food plot that has been fertilized, even if it is only natural weeds that deer eat or a green field should be legal as I read the proposal.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 03:11 AM

Quote:

It's up to the GW's first, then the Judge. Seems we keep forgetting about him.

I'd be very curious to know how many tickets are written annually for situations involving someone feeding their deer but hunting 400+ yds away and out of sight of a feeder. I bet it is minimal at best. A few on here act like this is a huge problem, but it's really not. Those that feed but don't push the limits on hunting near the feed are not in jeopardy of getting ticketed 99% of the time. It would take a corrupt GW and then even at that would likely get thrown out by the judge.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 12:35 PM

Sounds like you like to feed on your property but don't want anyone else to.

Just because the local GW in YOUR area let's it slide......that does not make it legal and is the problem in itself! No consistency!
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Well said sir!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 12:57 PM

Also, in talking to a couple of locals at our Courthouse......MANY cases have been being thrown out once they make it to the Courthouse.

Total waste of time for the GW AND the person thicketed if the Law is so vague that the case gets thrown out if contested.

Like I said earlier in the thread.....either make it legal or illegal and be done with the whole Area thing. It is impossible to satisfy people with the definition of Area, and it only leads to confusion for the wardens.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 01:54 PM

Sounds like you like to feed on your property but don't want anyone else to.

Just because the local GW in YOUR area let's it slide......that does not make it legal and is the problem in itself! No consistency!

if you are referring to me you would be wrong. I am and always have been completely apposed to being able to hunt over a pile of corn or a feeder. And for the record I haven't seen a GW on my place in over 20 years so I don't know how they used to interpret the old law. I am against this law because this law makes it legal to hunt over a bait pile or feeder, plain and simple. I'm not opposed to year around feeding...so my point is the law should have been 350 yds. (minimum) and out of the line of sight. I and most others that don't want baiting legalized would have been 100% fine with that distance...IMO

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 01:57 PM

Also, in talking to a couple of locals at our Courthouse......MANY cases have been being thrown out once they make it to the Courthouse.

Total waste of time for the GW AND the person thicketed if the Law is so vague that the case gets thrown out if contested.

Like I said earlier in the thread.....either make it legal or illegal and be done with the whole Area thing. It is impossible to satisfy people with the definition of Area, and it only leads to confusion for the wardens.

agree with you here...but you have to admit the 100 yds was purposely used to help Moultrie and the Ainsworth clan and the other's that would like to see feeders legal to hunt over. that's all I'm saying

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:02 PM

I fixed it:

Quote:
Section 9-11-244

Taking, etc., of protected birds or animals by means of bait.

[s]No person at any time shall take, catch, kill or attempt to take, catch or kill any bird or animal protected by law or regulation of the State of Alabama by means, aid or use, directly or indirectly, of any bait such as shelled, shucked or unshucked corn or of wheat or other grain, salt or any other feed whatsoever that has been so deposited, placed, distributed or scattered as to constitute for such birds or animals a lure, attraction or enticement to, on or over the area where such hunter or hunters are attempting to kill or take them; provided, that such birds or animals may be taken under properly shocked corn and standing crops of corn, wheat or other grain or feed and grains scattered solely as a result of normal agricultural harvesting and provided further, migratory birds may be hunted under the most recent provisions established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources within the limits of the federal regulations.

(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §1; Acts 1991, No. 91-591, p. 1093, §1.)[/s]

Quote:
Section 9-11-245

Unlawful methods of hunting birds or animals protected by law or regulation.

No person shall at any time make use of any pitfall, deadfall, baited field, cage, trap, net, pen, baited hook, snare, poison, explosive, or chemical for the purpose of injuring, capturing, or killing birds or animals protected by law or regulation of this state. This section shall not prevent the trapping of animals classified as fur-bearing animals by a duly licensed fur catcher. It shall be legal to use a scaffold for gun hunting of all legal game species except wild turkey and to use a scaffold for bow hunting of all legal game species.

(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §2; Acts 1975, No. 195, p. 681, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-563, p. 1174, §1.)

Quote:
220-2-.06 Game Animals Designated
The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear, Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox,Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine (Wild Hog), except those feral swine reduced to the personal possession of a landowner or his agent, provided, however, that notwithstanding such reduction to personal possession, in the event such feral swine are hunted, they shall at such time of hunting be designated as game animals.
All feral swine (wild hogs) found in the wild are hereby classed as game animals. The seasons and methods for taking feral swine will be as provided in Rule 220-2-.01. Once reduced to personal possession of the landowner or agent, feral swine will no longer be considered a game animal. However, feral swine will be considered a game animal at any time they are hunted. Notwithstanding any other regulation to the contrary, it shall be unlawful to transport feral swine alive beyond the boundaries of the property from which they are taken without a permit from the local conservation officer, or to release feral swine into any area of the state, except ...

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:05 PM

agree with you here...but you have to admit the 100 yds was purposely used to help Moultrie and the Ainsworth clan and the other's that would like to see feeders legal to hunt over. that's all I'm saying

I agree and concur...with both of you.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:08 PM

I have stayed out of this one because I think it is a joke. I bet you there are fewer than 10 landowners in the entire State of Alabama that TRULY supplemental feed during deer season (outside of high fence operations). This baiting/supplemental feeding issue is just one big rouse.

The truth of the matter is those that say they are supplemental feeding during deer season are either trying to keep “their” deer on their property so no one else will kill them or they are baiting them to try and kill them themselves.

The antlers have grown all they will grow and the deer are as fat as they will get.

There are so many folks wanting to keep up the illusion of supplemental feeding. Could money be the reason?

I believe it should be outlawed all together during deer season. And please don’t come at me with the green field is baiting story. My brother and I plant around 100 acorn trees each year, is that baiting as well?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I have stayed out of this one because I think it is a joke. I bet you there are fewer than 10 landowners in the entire State of Alabama that TRULY supplemental feed during deer season (outside of high fence operations). This baiting/supplemental feeding issue is just one big rouse.

The truth of the matter is those that say they are supplemental feeding during deer season are either trying to keep “their” deer on their property so no one else will kill them or they are baiting them to try and kill them themselves.

The antlers have grown all they will grow and the deer are as fat as they will get.

There are so many folks wanting to keep up the illusion of supplemental feeding. Could money be the reason?

I believe it should be outlawed all together during deer season. And please don’t come at me with the green field is baiting story. My brother and I plant around 100 acorn trees each year, is that baiting as well?

I guess if you start splitting hairs, what you're saying could be considered baiting... Several things come to mind. A fella could plant 5 acres in corn, bushog it, and hunt over it legally every day, but if he dumps an extra bag in the field, all of a sudden he's baiting. Makes no sense to me.
I feed corn 9 months a year. You can easily tell when the acorns drop, they stop eating corn. Also when the trees begin to bud, they stop with the corn (my experiences at least).
I just say make it legal and be done with it. To me it's just another tool to use to kill a deer, same as a food plot or planting oaks.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:24 PM

As this thread rages on into next deer season (on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on&on).I will be hunting just like I always do. I spend enough money on gas and club fee allready. I'll let the other hunters fund the feeding/baiting program.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 02:28 PM

I agree, Elkhunter.

I feed in a couple of places in the middle of my property to hold the deer on the property. There is no hunting in the area around the feeders.... BUT, my definition of area and the GW's may not be the same?????
I also feed here at my house and my Camp to allow viewing of the wildlife. Again, no shooting or hunting there. But, I suppose an overzealous warden 'could' make the argument that game was being influenced by the feed???

I could not afford to install feeders in every field on my place; and would not want to if I could. I would continue to do just as I always have. Pick a couple of interior sites, set up free-choice feeders, make them OFF-LIMITS to hunting and then hunt the rest of the property.

So, you are correct.....it would not change anything. But, it would relieve the 'worry' of a GW having a different perspective on 'Area' than I do and clarify the legality.

I also have a wish!!!
I wish that people would quit spewing the BS that feeding was BAD for the Wildlife. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any left!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 05:25 PM

Quote:
but you have to admit the 100 yds was purposely used to help Moultrie and the Ainsworth clan and the other's that would like to see feeders legal to hunt over.

If Dan gave a flip about selling feeders you don't believe he would have forced this issue when he became chair of the CAB?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 05:36 PM

I guess if you start splitting hairs, what you're saying could be considered baiting... Several things come to mind. A fella could plant 5 acres in corn, bushog it, and hunt over it legally every day, but if he dumps an extra bag in the field, all of a sudden he's baiting. Makes no sense to me.
I feed corn 9 months a year. You can easily tell when the acorns drop, they stop eating corn. Also when the trees begin to bud, they stop with the corn (my experiences at least).
I just say make it legal and be done with it. To me it's just another tool to use to kill a deer, same as a food plot or planting oaks.

but IT IS NOT not the same thing as planting foodplots...that's why most biologist are against legalized baiting. If a club has x amount to spend, and baiting is legal they will likely minimize or eliminate food plots (a 9-12 month of the year food source accessible 24/7) and implement feeders that will stay full from Oct.-Jan. 31st. And that's just the nutritional side of it.

Then there is the point that many hunters and non hunters view a planted field as an ethical way to bait deer while many do not see pouring out a bag of corn in the middle of 1000 acre unmanaged pine forest as being sporting or ethical.

Then there is the money side of it...where it becomes a pissing contest over who has the most feeders and spends the most money keeping them full during hunting season, only to make the herd more nocturnal than it already was. So my question to those that say they don't really care but say we might as well make it legal...why would that be your position. It's just going to cost you a lot more money or put you at a disadvantage if you don't do it. I understand some feel hunting over a feeder or bait pile is perfectly sporting and acceptable and should be legal...fine, although I disagree, at least you aren't hiding your real position.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 05:37 PM

I agree, Elkhunter.

I feed in a couple of places in the middle of my property to hold the deer on the property. There is no hunting in the area around the feeders.... BUT, my definition of area and the GW's may not be the same?????
I also feed here at my house and my Camp to allow viewing of the wildlife. Again, no shooting or hunting there. But, I suppose an overzealous warden 'could' make the argument that game was being influenced by the feed???

I could not afford to install feeders in every field on my place; and would not want to if I could. I would continue to do just as I always have. Pick a couple of interior sites, set up free-choice feeders, make them OFF-LIMITS to hunting and then hunt the rest of the property.

So, you are correct.....it would not change anything. But, it would relieve the 'worry' of a GW having a different perspective on 'Area' than I do and clarify the legality.

I also have a wish!!!
I wish that people would quit spewing the BS that feeding was BAD for the Wildlife. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any left!

then you would be fine with a 300 yd rule instead of a 100 yd. rule?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 05:56 PM

Quote:
but you have to admit the 100 yds was purposely used to help Moultrie and the Ainsworth clan and the other's that would like to see feeders legal to hunt over.

If Dan gave a flip about selling feeders you don't believe he would have forced this issue when he became chair of the CAB?

maybe Dan doesn't care, not sure how he is paid now that EBSCO bought the company, but common sense tells me that anyone that started a multi million dollar company by selling feeders probably would like to see feeders legalized during hunting season. Sells would quadruple at a minimum.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 06:14 PM

Quote:

this is unadulterated horsechitt. ...

Yep.

I am really disappointed in Comm. Guy. I am
scratching my head at how such a smart fellow
has fallen into promoting this garbage. It is
bizarre.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Farmer Brown
What if you set up on a long logging road 100 yds from where a feeder is off the road, in the thick pines, and out of sight. If you killed a deer crossing the road headed to the feeder, would that be baiting or feeding?

Everyone knows it is baiting. Everyone.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 06:51 PM

I'd be very curious to know how many tickets are written annually for situations involving someone feeding their deer but hunting 400+ yds away and out of sight of a feeder. I bet it is minimal at best. A few on here act like this is a huge problem, but it's really not. Those that feed but don't push the limits on hunting near the feed are not in jeopardy of getting ticketed 99% of the time. It would take a corrupt GW and then even at that would likely get thrown out by the judge.

yep. good post.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 06:58 PM

What is *your* definition of "area" in terms
of distance in yards from hunter to feeders??

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 07:30 PM

but IT IS NOT not the same thing as planting foodplots...that's why most biologist are against legalized baiting. If a club has x amount to spend, and baiting is legal they will likely minimize or eliminate food plots (a 9-12 month of the year food source accessible 24/7) and implement feeders that will stay full from Oct.-Jan. 31st. And that's just the nutritional side of it.

Then there is the point that many hunters and non hunters view a planted field as an ethical way to bait deer while many do not see pouring out a bag of corn in the middle of 1000 acre unmanaged pine forest as being sporting or ethical.

Then there is the money side of it...where it becomes a pissing contest over who has the most feeders and spends the most money keeping them full during hunting season, only to make the herd more nocturnal than it already was. So my question to those that say they don't really care but say we might as well make it legal...why would that be your position. It's just going to cost you a lot more money or put you at a disadvantage if you don't do it. I understand some feel hunting over a feeder or bait pile is perfectly sporting and acceptable and should be legal...fine, although I disagree, at least you aren't hiding your real position.

Honestly, I think if it were made legal there wouldn't be very much of an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done. You make good points, I just think that train has left the station.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 08:08 PM

Honestly, I think if it were made legal there wouldn't be very much of an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done. You make good points, I just think that train has left the station.

Your "logic" , which is actually illogical, is
commonly used by supporters of corn/feeder baiting:

"Since there are some law breakers out there we should
just legalize it."

People make the same arguments with
respect to drugs, pedophilia and a whole lot of other
crap. It is piss poor brain mush "reasoning".

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 09:20 PM

Your "logic" , which is actually illogical, is
commonly used by supporters of corn/feeder baiting:

"Since there are some law breakers out there we should
just legalize it."

People make the same arguments with
respect to drugs, pedophilia and a whole lot of other
crap. It is piss poor brain mush "reasoning".

That's a pretty far stretch from my opinion. I'm saying if baiting is legalized there won't be much of an increase in folks putting out corn instead of food plots.
The way they have defined this now basically legalizes hunting over corn. How a conversation about corn can relate to something as terrible as pedophilia is incredible. Thankfully my mind doesn't work that way.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 09:25 PM

whatthehellareya'llargueingabout??????

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 09:37 PM

whatthehellareya'llargueingabout??????

I don't even know any more...
I'm going to place my corn 101 yards behind a 4 foot oak tree. Problem solved.....

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/26/13 11:43 PM

Regardless of which side of the baiting issue you are on, I don't think many of us are happy with the proposed rule changes.

This proposal will be open to public review and comment before it is finalized, probably starting March April 1 when the next Alabama Administrative Monthly is published.

This will be your chance to officially voice your opinion. If you have strong feelings and think the proposal should be amended or even dropped, then contact the person who will be in charge of accepting comments when the announcement is published.

If enough of us contact him with our dislike for the changes, then it will likely make a difference. I intend to get involved when that time comes.

Quote:
Section 41-22-5
Notice of intent to adopt, amend, or repeal rules; submission of data, views, etc., by interested persons; procedure for adoption of emergency rules; effect of this section on other procedural requirements; validity of rules in substantial compliance with this section; limitation of proceedings to contest rules.
(a) Prior to the adoption, amendment, or repeal of any rule, the agency shall:

(1) Give at least 35 days' notice of its intended action. Date of publication in the Alabama Administrative Monthly shall constitute the date of notice. The notice shall include a statement of either the terms or substance of the intended action or a description of the subjects and issues involved, shall specify a notice period ending not less than 35 days or more than 90 days from the date of the notice, during which period interested persons may present their views thereon, and shall specify the place where, and the manner in which interested persons may present their views thereon. The notice shall be given to the chairman of the legislative committee, as provided in Section 41-22-23, and mailed to all persons who pay the cost of such mailing and who have made timely request of the agency for advance notice of its rulemaking proceedings and shall be published, prior to any action thereon, in the Alabama Administrative Monthly. A complete copy of the proposed rule shall be filed with the secretary of the agency and the Legislative Reference Service.

(2) Afford all interested persons reasonable opportunity to submit data, views, or arguments, orally or in writing. The agency shall consider fully all written and oral submissions respecting the proposed rule. Upon adoption of a rule, the agency, if conflicting views are submitted on the proposed rule, shall issue a concise statement of the principal reasons for and against its adoption, incorporating therein its reasons for overruling any considerations urged against its adoption. ...

(emphasis added)
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 12:03 AM

This proposal will be open to public review and comment before it is finalized, probably starting March 1 when the next Alabama Administrative Monthly is published.

March 1 of 2014 ?
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 12:55 AM

Honestly, I think if it were made legal there wouldn't be very much of an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done.

I think you are sadly mistaken. Corn sales/baiting would go through the roof if legalized. MOST of the people who hunt do it legally and responsibly. It's kinda like a locked gate...the only people a locked gate keep out are the honest people. Honest people will begin baiting if it's made legal. Think corn is high now? Just wait.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck
Honestly, I think if it were made legal there wouldn't be very much of an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done.

I think you are sadly mistaken. Corn sales/baiting would go through the roof if legalized. MOST of the people who hunt do it legally and responsibly. It's kinda like a locked gate...the only people a locked gate keep out are the honest people. Honest people will begin baiting if it's made legal. Think corn is high now? Just wait.

So you don't think "honest" people are going to place it at least 100 yards and out of sight of their stand? Corn is not some sort of magic deer magnet. I think the perception is out there that a person could dump a bag of corn and shoot a 150 class buck the next day. Are corn prices "through the roof" in Florida? Are Florida hunters less of a hunter than Alabama hunters?? Corn isn't the magic bullet.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 01:45 AM

Ethanol and dry weather had a lot more influence on corn prices than a few sacks of corn or the deer.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 01:51 AM

Ethanol and dry weather had a lot more influence on corn prices than a few sacks of corn or the deer.

You are correct,sir.
Record drought in the Mid-West main factor. A few thousand bushels going into bags with a picture of a deer on it is like a drop of water in the Gulf.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 01:55 AM

So you don't think "honest" people are going to place it at least 100 yards and out of sight of their stand?

Of course they would. That's the point I was making. You argued that if it were made legal, you don't think there would be an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done. I said there would be. Lots more people would do it in creative ways so they could LEGALLY shoot deer coming to the feeder.

Corn isn't the magic bullet.

I realize that. I live 1/4 mile from the Florida state line, and hunt there several times a year, as well as having lots of friends who hunt down there full time. Absolutely nothing worse than "hunting" by watching a feeder, waiting for it to go off. It's nothing other than a trick to get people to pay more to hunt...which is why I'm totally against baiting. Hunting is expensive enough as it is. You're not going to kill very many bucks off a feeder, but if everyone is doing it, you're forced to because it does draw deer away from your property if you're not doing it too. Plenty of the folks I know who hunt down there wish they had never legalized it.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck
So you don't think "honest" people are going to place it at least 100 yards and out of sight of their stand?

Of course they would. That's the point I was making. You argued that if it were made legal, you don't think there would be an increase in corn feeding over what's already being done. I said there would be. Lots more people would do it in creative ways so they could LEGALLY shoot deer coming to the feeder.

Corn isn't the magic bullet.

I realize that. I live 1/4 mile from the Florida state line, and hunt there several times a year, as well as having lots of friends who hunt down there full time. Absolutely nothing worse than "hunting" by watching a feeder, waiting for it to go off. It's nothing other than a trick to get people to pay more to hunt...which is why I'm totally against baiting. Hunting is expensive enough as it is. You're not going to kill very many bucks off a feeder, but if everyone is doing it, you're forced to because it does draw deer away from your property if you're not doing it too. Plenty of the folks I know who hunt down there wish they had never legalized it.

So if you're not going to kill many bucks off a feeder, why are you worried about your neighbor's pulling deer from your property? I'm really not following your logic, not surprising though, anyone who would worship Harvey Updyke enough to put his quote as their signature isn't going to be able to logically explain their position.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002

This proposal will be open to public review and comment before it is finalized, probably starting March 1 when the next Alabama Administrative Monthly is published.

March 1 of 2014 ?

No. I should have said April 1. I'll fix it. Tks.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 04:00 AM

Hey 49er I'm not interested in asking 15 wardens or goin back and forth with u

I jus simply passed on info from one warden. There are uncertainties and once they sort those out our club will find out what "our wardens" expect from us and that is what we will do. I won't read all of that crap I will stick with communicating with the ones who will actually issue the ticket. This has worked well for us

The old keep it simple stupid rule. Remove all doubt and just ask the man In charge

Good luck with your debates and your efforts.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 01:48 PM

Currently, baiting "seems" to be much more of a problem for some of you than it really is. The weird, bad, crazy, unethical, dishonest, crooked always stand out and get the attention. This is human nature. That's why if you watch the news every night you want to go crawl in a bunker somewhere and never come out.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 02:00 PM

Currently, baiting "seems" to be much more of a problem for some of you than it really is. The weird, bad, crazy, unethical, dishonest, crooked always stand out and get the attention. This is human nature. That's why if you watch the news every night you want to go crawl in a bunker somewhere and never come out.

You are so full of yourself ... !!!

If it's not much of a problem, then why haven't the members of the legislature and the clowns at the DCNR been able to define what an "affected area of baiting" is after several years of mulling it over?

Are there any restrictions on liberty that you don't like?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 02:37 PM

I guess all Game Wardens will be issued those little do-hickeys with the wheel that you roll and get a measurement.
Craziest waste of time and resources I've ever seen.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 02:38 PM

What is *your* definition of "area" in terms
of distance in yards from hunter to feeders??

I would wager a guess that the very closest stand to any of the 3 feeders is about 250 yds.

You need to also be reasonable with your distances. On a square 40 acre block, with a feeder in the middle of the property...it would be impossible to be on the property and be over 220 yds away from the feeder. I feel certain that was one of the considerations of the CAB. It could be easily construed that acreage restrictions are discriminatory.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 05:27 PM

We had a case here that got interesting. There was a nice buck roaming around an area that encompassed 2 land owners. One of the owners was hunting close to the other owners property line. That irritated the other guy (he wanted to kill the deer too) so he put up a feeder right on the line, next to where the other guy was hunting, then called the GW and told them the guy was hunting over corn.
Big deer make grown men act like 2 year old kids.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 10:37 PM

Deer make grown men act like 2 year old kids.

I fixed it for you. Grown men will apparently do anything to make killing a deer easier and then complain that too many deer are being killed by everybody but them.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/27/13 10:57 PM

I fixed it for you. Grown men will apparently do anything to make killing a deer easier and then complain that too many deer are being killed by everybody but them.

Don't forget that it will also make grown men throw temper tantrums and sull up if the Law does not provide for THEIR own personal beliefs and morals! wink

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 12:53 AM

Don't forget that it will also make grown men throw temper tantrums and sull up if the Law does not provide for THEIR own personal beliefs and morals! wink

Agree. I finally found a lease where there doesn't seem to be any jealousy.... I leased some land by myself. Don't have to worry about the sign out board hogs or the guy who asks 50 questions when you get back to the cabin.
I've been in leases and witnessed grown men almost in tears staring at the property map trying to figure out where to hunt.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 01:06 AM

AMEN!

Our little lease is basically all family. Only 1 guy and his son that aren't close family.....and he is a lifelong friend.

We are very open and honest about what we see and everyone works hard HOPING for the others to all have good hunts!!!

In my experience, that is RARE!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 11:36 AM

AMEN!

Our little lease is basically all family. Only 1 guy and his son that aren't close family.....and he is a lifelong friend.

We are very open and honest about what we see and everyone works hard HOPING for the others to all have good hunts!!!

That is rare. I vowed to never again fool around in a club full of aggressive type folks. Hunted in one lease in Montgomery County where the earliest you could sign in was 4:30AM. There were guys showing up at 3:30am and sitting in a chair at the sign in board. I paid 2000 dollars and hunted the place twice. It was pitiful

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 01:27 PM

AMEN!

That is rare. I vowed to never again fool around in a club full of aggressive type folks. Hunted in one lease in Montgomery County where the earliest you could sign in was 4:30AM. There were guys showing up at 3:30am and sitting in a chair at the sign in board. I paid 2000 dollars and hunted the place twice. It was pitiful

Just curious, but how did you know that they were there sitting at 3:30am, were you there too?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 02:18 PM

AMEN!

Just curious, but how did you know that they were there sitting at 3:30am, were you there too?

Was told by the president of the club who spent the night there. Actually one of the long time members of the lease left that morning and hasn't been seen since. Actually, it's your lease I'm referring to.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 02:33 PM

heheheheheheheh.... I needed a good laugh this morning.

As a non-agressive hunter, I think that anybody that shows up before 5:00 needs to get a life laugh

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 02:37 PM

heheheheheheheh.... I needed a good laugh this morning.

As a non-agressive hunter, I think that anybody that shows up before 5:00 needs to get a life laugh

Agree.... I was in Ponderosa a few years ago, that's where it happened.
Maybe things are better there now. I don't think you were there at the time. Great land, but there were a couple of members with teenage boys who just let them run wild all over the property. They would actually ride their scooters around 1pm to every food plot, check for tracks, then come back and sign out for a hunt. I couldn't handle it. Hope things are better there now.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 03:52 PM

I hunted as a guest of a BIG club in Wilcox Co years ago. You could not sign in for an area before midnight. The guy I hunted with would go to bed, get up at 11pm and drive to the club to sign in at 12:01, then go home and go back to bed. Seen it myself.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 04:04 PM

I hunted as a guest of a BIG club in Wilcox Co years ago. You could not sign in for an area before midnight. The guy I hunted with would go to bed, get up at 11pm and drive to the club to sign in at 12:01, then go home and go back to bed. Seen it myself.

Unreal. I ain't never been that mad at them.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 06:36 PM

Some people just take it too serious. We still have "agressive hunters" but we are trying to put in rules to cut down on the amount of traffic on the property during the season. Pressure is the number one problem and we have cut back on the number of bucks per membership and put in a better buck rule.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 08:10 PM

Some people just take it too serious. We still have "agressive hunters" but we are trying to put in rules to cut down on the amount of traffic on the property during the season. Pressure is the number one problem and we have cut back on the number of bucks per membership and put in a better buck rule.

Yeah, that was what I didn't like there. There were 2 members causing 90% of the problems. I've come to realize if you have`

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/28/13 08:13 PM

Yeah, that was a couple of the things I didn't like there. Loved the land, but 2 members were causing 90% of the problems, and 1 member was killing it during the week. I have figured out a club with 2 pages of rules has problems. What I'm saying is if you have to address common sense issues with a rule, you might have the wrong members. The lease I'm in now has 4 or 5 rules. Basically turn off the lights and lock the gate. We have absolutely no drama or problems and I love it.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/29/13 10:20 AM

That had to have been Flat wood. I admit to making several of those midnight trips myself. But what's really bad is that some would often sign in before midnight. The next guy would scratch the name out and flag it for being too early.

There wasn't a bad place to hunt on the club, but they told me I had to GI sign in if I wanted to hunt with them

Good to see you posting again Troy; we missed you! Come over and tell us a turkey story.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/29/13 08:13 PM

....but we are trying to ... put in a better buck rule.

Yeah you guys really need to do that. I looked
at your website and 95% of the bucks looked like
baby 2.5 year old basket racks. wink
smile

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/29/13 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

That had to have been Flat wood. I admit to making several of those midnight trips myself. But what's really bad is that some would often sign in before midnight. The next guy would scratch the name out and flag it for being too early.

it was Flat Wood Hunting Club, lots of deer there in the late 70's...
There wasn't a bad place to hunt on the club, but they told me I had to GI sign in if I wanted to hunt with them

Good to see you posting again Troy; we missed you! Come over and tell us a turkey story.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/29/13 10:30 PM

Isn't there a CAB meeting On Monday, April 1? What is suppose to come out of it?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/29/13 10:53 PM

What is suppose to come out of it?
Another 8 - 16 page topic or three.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 04:00 PM

Talked to warden again yday and he said they are just gonna write more hunters orange tickets, licenses not actually on the hunters and deer not marked or called in whichever they go with.

He said they were meeting in a month or so to go over this and learn exactly how they are goin to police this new rule.

As a club board member I wished they had either left it alone or jus made it legal. Reason being if one guys puts it out and another gets to close not knowing its there he gets a ticket. This sucks !

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 04:38 PM

Talked to warden again yday and he said they are just gonna write more hunters orange tickets, licenses not actually on the hunters and deer not marked or called in whichever they go with.

He said they were meeting in a month or so to go over this and learn exactly how they are goin to police this new rule.

As a club board member I wished they had either left it alone or jus made it legal. Reason being if one guys puts it out and another gets to close not knowing its there he gets a ticket. This sucks !

The government NEVER does anything for you, but they certainly do things to you!! If they make baiting legal they should make spotlighting legal!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 05:22 PM

It is going to be easy at my club......just because the State says you can do it does not mean I have to let you. You want to put corn out go somewhere else.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 05:52 PM

Well our board will vote and we will follow that. Won't be based on one person

The should also make green fields illegal to right?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 06:00 PM

The government NEVER does anything for you, but they certainly do things to you!! If they make baiting legal they should make spotlighting legal!

WHAT????????????????

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 07:38 PM

As far as I can see it with a club there is no way to let individuals feed anywhere they want to unless your board is ok with innocent members getting tickets. It should either be club feeding stations that are clearly marked that everyone knows about and are shown or no feed at all.....still pretty simple.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 08:46 PM

WHAT????????????????

LOL!!!! To some a dead deer is a dead deer no matter whether it is killed with a spear along a trail or killed with a howitzer standing over a pile of corn, so why would spotlighting and shooting a deer be any different?? Before the issue of safety is brought up, the other methods have safety concerns also. What it boils down to is where does the line get drawn for ways to kill a deer?? It seems that more and more people want the absolute easiest way to do it, so where does it stop?? Just questions to ponder when one starts thinking about ways to take advantage at any cost.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 03/31/13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bigt

As far as I can see it with a club there is no way to let individuals feed anywhere they want to unless your board is ok with innocent members getting tickets. It should either be club feeding stations that are clearly marked that everyone knows about and are shown or no feed at all.....still pretty simple.

Our club plan last year had it passed would have been to establish ten feeding sights at various places on our lease. No way we can let 20 guys randomly put corn out at any location they wish - that's a recipe for trouble.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 08:22 AM

WHAT????????????????

LOL!!!! To some a dead deer is a dead deer no matter whether it is killed with a spear along a trail or killed with a howitzer standing over a pile of corn, so why would spotlighting and shooting a deer be any different?? Before the issue of safety is brought up, the other methods have safety concerns also. What it boils down to is where does the line get drawn for ways to kill a deer?? It seems that more and more people want the absolute easiest way to do it, so where does it stop?? Just questions to ponder when one starts thinking about ways to take advantage at any cost.

That is the craziest reasoning I've ever seen.
Just more of Alabama's backwards arse way of doing things.
Is it easier to kill a deer in Texas or Florida??
Think outside the box every now and again.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 10:37 AM

Yeah Bama is behind for sure. But hey i don't get to make the rules I just have to play by them.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 10:44 AM

Yeah Bama is behind for sure. But hey i don't get to make the rules I just have to play by them.

It amazes me they implement the "honor system" for tags, but they don't trust clubs and leases to make decisions regarding corn. This "area" rule is the dumbest thing I've seen in years. Even if made totally legal, our lease will not do it, but the thought process of the CAB amazes me.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 10:54 AM

Yeah I want to understand the logic but I don't think there is any. Really made it tough on clubs. We have got to decide and out of everything I have seen suggested either not allow it or have designated places are the only realistic and fair options

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 02:40 PM

Yeah I want to understand the logic but I don't think there is any. Really made it tough on clubs. We have got to decide and out of everything I have seen suggested either not allow it or have designated places are the only realistic and fair options

Yeah, it creates a whole new set of problems. We just are not going to allow it at all. We don't even allow corn in the off-season for game cameras.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 04:38 PM

Really?? So are game cameras outlawed or just bait?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 06:22 PM

WHAT????????????????

That is the craziest reasoning I've ever seen.
Just more of Alabama's backwards arse way of doing things.
Is it easier to kill a deer in Texas or Florida??
Think outside the box every now and again.

Read the second post and let me know what the difference is. I live outside the box by the way. Deer hunting is not mine or anybody else's life or death, so kill'em at any cost the easiest way possible just isn't required or neeeded, but apparently there is a whole lot of WANTING. Sad really when you think about it.
Posted By: .308

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 06:34 PM

I won't pay good money for corn to feed a damned old wood goat, if you see me buying corn it will be mixed with egg & buttermilk & baked until golden brown. I'll let my dumbazz neighbors feed corn & I'll put my stand on the property line.
Posted By: Blackhawk

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/01/13 06:56 PM

nothing to be confused about to get some deer chow. and feed the deer.....

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 06:05 AM

The only thing I WANT is to make the right choice for our club. And it will be based on what OUR board wants. I get on this site caused I'm bored to death and after gettin hammered by someone I've never met I usually don't get back on here for a while. You don't know me or my hunting ethics or desires.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 06:43 AM

And fun4all that was directed to you as I assume ur comment about wanting was directed at me
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 11:04 AM

The only thing I WANT is to make the right choice for our club. And it will be based on what OUR board wants. I get on this site caused I'm bored to death and after gettin hammered by someone I've never met I usually don't get back on here for a while. You don't know me or my hunting ethics or desires.

It doesn't hurt to get hammered on aldeer; happens to me all the time. smile

Just keep posting and don't worry about it. And I think y'all should put out lots of corn right on my property line. Please send me a map of the locations. wink

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 05:15 PM

And fun4all that was directed to you as I assume ur comment about wanting was directed at me

Nope, not directed at you, but glad you are working on what is good for your club. My point is, instead of getting out there and hunting to best the deer in his house there are an awful lot of people (yes, word chosen for a reason) that would rather use any and every short cut to make deer change their habits and make it easier to kill a deer. It is not needed unless your life depends on it, does yours?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 05:24 PM

The proposed new rule is open for your comments and review until May 7 at 10am.

The contact info and the rule itself can be viewed online at the following link:

Proposed new rule affecting hunting with the aid of bait *** click here ***

Note: You'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom to read the rule itself.

Let them know how you feel about it. Unlike a CAB meeting, they have to pay attention now by law.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 05:58 PM

My goal is to figure out those 140" bucks. And I've been able to do so in pressured hunting club atmosphere without corn on 3 separate occasions. And PCP has got a couple really nice ones next door and he doesn't hunt bait either

However in a club of 24 folks u have to consider all options that folks want. I'm confident we will make the best possible decision to meet our guys wants and desires.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 06:26 PM

Thanks 49er.

But, how can there be a presumption that bait or feed is NOT a lure, attraction or enticement to a deer or hog??????? If there is no lure, attraction or enticement how can it be bait or feed???

It is completely STUPID wording. And of course, nothing is said about just exactly when a person is hunting?? What if a person is walking to his "stand", but goes by and put more "bait"/"feed" out and is 70 yards away from the "bait"/"feed" and sees a deer heading in his direction 100 yards away, is he hunting then? Or, does it only count as hunting when he gets to his "stand"??

Typical Government BS?

A couple of other things, how does any of this "protect the public"? Or, how does the absence of this proposed rule "significantly harm or endanger public health, welfare or safety"?? Up until there was a wantfest there has not been significant harm or danger to public health, welfare or safety, so per SOP the "officials" are making things up to solve a made up "crisis". Fine governing right there!!
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

It doesn't hurt to get hammered on aldeer; happens to me all the time. smile

Just keep posting and don't worry about it. And I think y'all should put out lots of corn right on my property line. Please send me a map of the locations. wink

Wow, it happens to other people besides me? shocked

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 08:16 PM

Really?? So are game cameras outlawed or just bait?

Just the bait. We are totally corn free.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 08:19 PM

Nope, not directed at you, but glad you are working on what is good for your club. My point is, instead of getting out there and hunting to best the deer in his house there are an awful lot of people (yes, word chosen for a reason) that would rather use any and every short cut to make deer change their habits and make it easier to kill a deer. It is not needed unless your life depends on it, does yours?

So it's easier to kill a deer in Florida or Texas than Alabama?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 09:46 PM

I have never hunted in Florida or Texas, so I could not provide a first hand account. I do however, have first hand experience in Alabama with a group of fellows that used corn and yes they killed deer at "their stands" just about anytime they hunted "their stands". Once I was able to do some scouting around their stands and found out what was going on, I quickly divorced myself from that situation and never return to that property. Interestingly enough, there were a number of gentlemen in law enforcement that hunted that property. So if my experience stands true, it takes less skill, woodsmanship and knowledge to dump a bag of corn out and consistently see and shoot deer. You may have a different experience in Florida and Texas and can provide your knowledge.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/02/13 10:11 PM

Thanks 49er.

But, how can there be a presumption that bait or feed is NOT a lure, attraction or enticement to a deer or hog??????? If there is no lure, attraction or enticement how can it be bait or feed???

It is completely STUPID wording. And of course, nothing is said about just exactly when a person is hunting?? What if a person is walking to his "stand", but goes by and put more "bait"/"feed" out and is 70 yards away from the "bait"/"feed" and sees a deer heading in his direction 100 yards away, is he hunting then? Or, does it only count as hunting when he gets to his "stand"??

Typical Government BS?

A couple of other things, how does any of this "protect the public"? Or, how does the absence of this proposed rule "significantly harm or endanger public health, welfare or safety"?? Up until there was a wantfest there has not been significant harm or danger to public health, welfare or safety, so per SOP the "officials" are making things up to solve a made up "crisis". Fine governing right there!!

Let the peopole who wrote this crap answer your questions, or at least give them a chance to.

If you don't like the rule change, don't wait until it is final and you can no longer do anything about it.

Chuck Sykes, Director, WILDLIFE AND FRESHWATER FISHERIES DIVISION

64 N. Union Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130

(334) 242-3465

Email: dcnr.wffdirector@dcnr.alabama.gov

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 02:42 PM

No my life doesnt depend on it. And as i said previously i have killed good deer without it. So its not about me its about what is best for our club.

i get on here to get insight and ideas. Period. Not to debate or try to get everyone on here to believe what i believe.

Nor am i concerned about that at all. This is America. Our club will decide what is best for us and not be concerned with folks that get on here and bash others with ideas and opinions.

Our members have the option not to join as do newcomers if they dont like the rules. And that is what i think is best. Find a group that are like minded with you and hunt with them and let others hunt how they want without hiding behind a keyboard and blasting them.
Posted By: Vulkanman

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 02:49 PM

Now what's the fun in that?

Being respectful of others? What a novel concept!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 03:58 PM

I have never hunted in Florida or Texas, so I could not provide a first hand account. I do however, have first hand experience in Alabama with a group of fellows that used corn and yes they killed deer at "their stands" just about anytime they hunted "their stands". Once I was able to do some scouting around their stands and found out what was going on, I quickly divorced myself from that situation and never return to that property. Interestingly enough, there were a number of gentlemen in law enforcement that hunted that property. So if my experience stands true, it takes less skill, woodsmanship and knowledge to dump a bag of corn out and consistently see and shoot deer. You may have a different experience in Florida and Texas and can provide your knowledge.

Just curious, how do you hunt? What methods do you use to locate deer?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 05:24 PM

Well I've been hunting the same land for 15 years and have a really good idea of their normal travel routes. But I work cameras from July 4th till Sept 25ish and get an inventory of which areas have the best deer and hunt those areas. I mainly hunt from lock ons very high up around edges of thickets watching trails. Since deer are primarily nocturnal I hardly ever see 4 yr olds but when I do it's a close up shot of 125 yds or less which makes for an easy shot.

I agree with the idea that corn makes them more nocturnal. But we never kill many bucks prerut so I'm not as strong opponent to it as some. I'm not excited about the potential increase in pressure if we allow corn on our club

I think once the rut kicks in they will make mistakes after does not after food. So my opinion is that it doesn't help or hurt things. Prerut it might hurt a little but we never kill any prerut anyway

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 08:04 PM

Well I've been hunting the same land for 15 years and have a really good idea of their normal travel routes. But I work cameras from July 4th till Sept 25ish and get an inventory of which areas have the best deer and hunt those areas. I mainly hunt from lock ons very high up around edges of thickets watching trails. Since deer are primarily nocturnal I hardly ever see 4 yr olds but when I do it's a close up shot of 125 yds or less which makes for an easy shot.

I agree with the idea that corn makes them more nocturnal. But we never kill many bucks prerut so I'm not as strong opponent to it as some. I'm not excited about the potential increase in pressure if we allow corn on our club

I think once the rut kicks in they will make mistakes after does not after food. So my opinion is that it doesn't help or hurt things. Prerut it might hurt a little but we never kill any prerut anyway

Do ya'll have any food sources on your place other than natural browse?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 09:55 PM

75 food plots to total 60 acres!!!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/03/13 10:22 PM

[/quote]

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 09:47 AM

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking! [/quote]****************************************************************

Sounds good. I guess none of these deer you hunt are traveling from a bedding area to a food source?
Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 10:37 AM

Dont you know we shouldnt plant corn or food plots!!!

We should go all natural!!! lol

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 12:36 PM

Yep. Everybody knows you can just dump out a bag of corn and 200 class bucks will run to it.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 05:24 PM

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking!

Sounds good. I guess none of these deer you hunt are traveling from a bedding area to a food source?
Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning. [/quote]

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 06:58 PM

Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning.

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land? [/quote]

*********************************************************************************************************************************
So now you're going to tell me I can't have a feeder on my legally owned property? As long as there are backwards arse people in this backwards arse state we'll have backwards arse laws.
Meanwhile other states just legalize it, but manage their herd through a tagging system that actually works.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 08:24 PM

Yep that's why the record book fills up every year!!

That corn instantly makes a mature buck dumb!!! Lol

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/04/13 08:44 PM

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land?

*********************************************************************************************************************************
So now you're going to tell me I can't have a feeder on my legally owned property? As long as there are backwards arse people in this backwards arse state we'll have backwards arse laws.
Meanwhile other states just legalize it, but manage their herd through a tagging system that actually works. [/quote]

So attacking and belittling means that you don't have to answer any relevant questions regarding hunting?

A person can have all the feeders out on their property that they want under the current regulations, but they have to make a decision as to whether they will be hunting over bait. It just appears that some would rather have the State make that decision for them so the burden (responsibility can be substituted for burden) is no longer on them.

So again, "Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer?"

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 05:19 AM

You are wrong about current law regarding feeders. Some Game Wardens will ticket a hunter for hunting the same area as a feeder. This law tries to remove that problem by establishing an area. In my opinion, the law fails, but that's just my opinion. You say some want the State to make that decision for them????? Well, they are the ones that create the laws we hunt by, I once again don't understand your argument
As for methods to legally kill deer..I'm good with the daylight until dark hunting hours. I like the season length as it is. I wish the State would implement a tagging system that works. I see nothing morally wrong with hunting a food plot, white oak tree or corn feeder. Killing deer is easy. Killing 5,6,7 year old bucks is darn near impossible.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 12:46 PM

I would like to see one single documented
case of a game warden writing someone a ticket
for hunting near/over/around bait where the
bait/feeder/whatever
was more than 400 yards from the hunter.

ONE case. Let's see it folks.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 01:30 PM

bait/feeder/whatever

Did you pull the 400 yard figure out of your arse??
I can give you examples of an entire lease being shut down for 3 weeks because of the presence of corn.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 01:30 PM

bait/feeder/whatever

I can give you examples of an entire lease being shut down for 3 weeks because of the presence of corn.

And before you ask it was 1200 acres.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 03:23 PM

in 26 years on the job I never heard of anything even close to 1200 being closed because of the "presence of corn".....

what year?

what county?
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 04:43 PM

Personally, I'd like to see the State change the rule to Supplemental feeding being allowed from February 1st - October 5th ONLY.

From October 6th - January 31st no Supplemental feeding of any type allowed at all. If a warden finds it out during that time anywhere on your hunting property it's a ticket, no questions asked.

Of course, this is just my opinion but if they would do this all "gray" areas of the law would be totally eliminated.

Now, ya'll can jump on me with both feet. I know it's coming. grin

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Cuz-Pat
Personally, I'd like to see the State change the rule to Supplemental feeding being allowed from February 1st - October 5th ONLY.

From October 6th - January 31st no Supplemental feeding of any type allowed at all. If a warden finds it out during that time anywhere on your hunting property it's a ticket, no questions asked.

Of course, this is just my opinion but if they would do this all "gray" areas of the law would be totally eliminated.

Why Cuz them poor little ole Alabama deer will starve if there ain't no supplemental feed out during huntin' season!!

I think you may be on to something here. Of course, I don't believe some will be able to catch on to your ideas though. Sad really when you think about it.

You know I really have not seen any studies or heard any comments about how supplemental feeding of deer in alabama with feed or corn from a feeder during hunting season improves the health of the deer or how it magically increases the antlers of already hardened bone. Have I missed something??

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 06:24 PM

You are wrong about current law regarding feeders. Some Game Wardens will ticket a hunter for hunting the same area as a feeder. This law tries to remove that problem by establishing an area. In my opinion, the law fails, but that's just my opinion. You say some want the State to make that decision for them????? Well, they are the ones that create the laws we hunt by, I once again don't understand your argument
As for methods to legally kill deer..I'm good with the daylight until dark hunting hours. I like the season length as it is. I wish the State would implement a tagging system that works. I see nothing morally wrong with hunting a food plot, white oak tree or corn feeder. Killing deer is easy. Killing 5,6,7 year old bucks is darn near impossible.

Please point me to the current rule, regulation or law that says that you can not have a feeder out during hunting season. So, from your comments the GWs don't enforce the same laws? That is an interesting suggestion.

I am glad to see you have a line that you will not cross to kill a deer. One question though, what if your neighbor finds it perfectly moral to lure a deer into a trap with corn and walk up to the trap and shoot the deer and he wants that legalized? The outcome is the same, right? If legalized he would have used all of the legal means and methods and let's not forget that he would properly tag and report the kill, so that would be okay, right?

My line is drawn at the point where a supposedly more intelligent being starts the domestication process through continual feeding of a non-self replenishing resource for the simple purpose of killing the inferior species. Especially when the supposedly superior species has the supposedly superior capacity to gain the knowledge needed to best the lesser species on his terms.

Cuz Pat has a good idea that would clear it all up easily! However, I don't think it will get much attention because it is not what the people WANT. Dang, there is that word again.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 06:34 PM

Yep. Everybody knows you can just dump out a bag of corn and 200 class bucks will run to it.

Well of course not! You have to have a mandatory tagging system in place for several years before that can occur!! After the mandatory system is in place I can also see turkeys being the size of ostriches!!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 09:26 PM

in 26 years on the job I never heard of anything even close to 1200 being closed because of the "presence of corn".....

what year?

what county?

Elmore County, probably 5 years ago, turkey season. Corn present in several locations on the property. Ticket given to one hunter. Call Kieth Mann. Tallapoosa River.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 09:28 PM

Please point me to the current rule, regulation or law that says that you can not have a feeder out during hunting season. So, from your comments the GWs don't enforce the same laws? That is an interesting suggestion.

I am glad to see you have a line that you will not cross to kill a deer. One question though, what if your neighbor finds it perfectly moral to lure a deer into a trap with corn and walk up to the trap and shoot the deer and he wants that legalized? The outcome is the same, right? If legalized he would have used all of the legal means and methods and let's not forget that he would properly tag and report the kill, so that would be okay, right?

My line is drawn at the point where a supposedly more intelligent being starts the domestication process through continual feeding of a non-self replenishing resource for the simple purpose of killing the inferior species. Especially when the supposedly superior species has the supposedly superior capacity to gain the knowledge needed to best the lesser species on his terms.

Cuz Pat has a good idea that would clear it all up easily! However, I don't think it will get much attention because it is not what the people WANT. Dang, there is that word again.

Sounds like you need to go back to shooting them with home-made flint arrowheads or a slingshot.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/05/13 09:37 PM

what year?

what county?

Elmore County, probably 5 years ago, turkey season. Corn present in several locations on the property. Ticket given to one hunter. Call Kieth Mann. Tallapoosa River.

Sorry Troy, just called a friend, it was Byron Smith who pulled the plug on them. Corn was in several locations, some members knew about the corn, some didn't. Byron suggested the best way to handle it was to shut it down for 3 weeks. That's what they did.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/06/13 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Sounds like a good idea to me, but it won't work,too simple.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/06/13 07:09 AM

what year?

what county?

Where did the road take a left turn and go from implying that it was deer season when the property was closed down to Turkey season???? If "facts" are going to be put out there, make sure ALL of the facts are presented!

B'hamFred, I guess you have and I have been told now and we can just go away! grin We can meet up at Tannehill and knap some stones for our next hunts because we are obviously not worthy of asking questions or having opinions. whistle

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/06/13 05:40 PM

what year?

what county?

Where did the road take a left turn and go from implying that it was deer season when the property was closed down to Turkey season???? If "facts" are going to be put out there, make sure ALL of the facts are presented!

B'hamFred, I guess you have and I have been told now and we can just go away! grin We can meet up at Tannehill and flint some stones for our next hunts because we are obviously not worthy of asking questions or having opinions. whistle

Got no problem with opinions. I have mine and you have yours, that's fine. Makes the world go around. I just thought we were discussing bait.
That little deal eventually busted up the lease.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 10:41 AM

I've been told worse...... laugh

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 11:29 AM

Troy, I hope you will give the folks at DCNR your input on this one.

They need to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about from time to time. thumbup

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 02:41 PM

bait/feeder/whatever

No, not from the rearend, it came from commons sense*,
which is something your immature self is lacking.

And you confess that you and your group were a
bunch of outlaw corn hunters during turkey season.
I have no sympathy. Makes me wonder what ya'll were
doing during deer season...

*those with commons sense knew I was referring
to anyone actually TICKETED for hunting *deer*
near corn or other pourable bait when they were
at least 400 yards away. I would like to see the
same for anyone that was at least 400 yards away
from the corn while turkery hunting too....I'm
waiting.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 02:45 PM

Troy, I hope you will give the folks at DCNR your input on this one.

They need to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about from time to time. thumbup

I second that.
Posted By: Duckshooter

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 07:04 PM

End of story?

Not 'til we get my version of ethics written into the law. I believe it's both unethical and illegal to swear with your hand on a Bible to support our constitutions and then practice usurpation and oppression using the limited authority that has been delegated to you.

Quote:
SECTION 35
Objective of government.

I agree w/ 49'er.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now - 04/07/13 08:31 PM

bait/feeder/whatever

No, not from the rearend, it came from commons sense*,
which is something your immature self is lacking.

And you confess that you and your group were a
bunch of outlaw corn hunters during turkey season.
I have no sympathy. Makes me wonder what ya'll were
doing during deer season...

*those with commons sense knew I was referring
to anyone actually TICKETED for hunting *deer*
near corn or other pourable bait when they were
at least 400 yards away. I would like to see the
same for anyone that was at least 400 yards away
from the corn while turkery hunting too....I'm
waiting.

Thanks for the scolding. FYI, I wasn't a member of the lease when that happened.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM