Aldeer.com

Contacting Your Game Wardens

Posted By: Clem

Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 07:13 PM

Lot of talk on here about poaching, tresspassing, rogue dogs and other questions about what is legal or illegal.

Contact your DCNR Law Enforcement game wardens to establish a relationship and ask questions for answers from them. Put the numbers and emails in your cell phones so you will have them. Discovering a problem and waiting three days to contact someone after you get back from camp doesn't help.

"How do I establish a relationship with a game warden?" Call and ask them if you could visit, or have them come to your camp to discuss something. They're not evil. They HATE bad guys as much or more than we do. Cooperation with them is a good thing.

Here are the District numbers. Put these in your truck, camp or cell phone. Get to know 'em. Take your kids to safety sessions or volunteer to help. Be proactive with them.:

To those of you who need to contact your area DCNR Law Enforcement game wardens, here are the counties, contacts and numbers to put into your cell phones so you will have them:

Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division
Law Enforcement Section

To report game and fish violations please call Operation Game Watch 1-800-272-4263.

If you have questions about laws/regulations or need to talk with a conservation enforcement officer please contact your law enforcement district office listed below.

District I
Blount, Colbert, Cullman, Fayette, Franklin, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Morgan, Walker, and Winston counties.

Captain Johnny Johnson
21453 Harris Station Road
Tanner, AL 35671
Phone: (256-353-2634)

email: dcnr.d1wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District II
Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, Coosa, DeKalb, Etowah, Jackson, Randolph, St. Clair, Talladega and Tallapoosa counties.

Captain Fred Bain
4101 Hwy. 21 North
Jacksonville, AL 36265
(256) 435-1642

email: dcnr.d2wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District III
Autauga, Bibb, Chilton, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Jefferson, Lowndes, Marengo, Perry, Pickens, Shelby, Sumter, and Tuscaloosa counties

Captain Dennis Sanford
8211 McFarland Blvd.
P.O. Box 305
Northport, AL 35476
(205) 339-5716

email: dcnr.d3wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District IV
Barbour, Bullock, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Elmore, Geneva, Henry, Houston, Lee, Macon, Montgomery, Pike and Russell counties

Captain Chris Lewis
3520 Plaza Drive
Enterprise, AL 36330
(334) 347-1298

email: dcnr.d4wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District V
Baldwin, Butler, Choctaw, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Marengo, Mobile, Monroe, Washington, and Wilcox counties

Captain Kenneth Blalock
30571 Five Rivers Blvd
Spanish Fort, AL 36527
(251) 626-5153
email: dcnr.d5wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

Montgomery Headquarters

Kevin Dodd, Chief Enforcement Officer
Mark Rouleau, Assistant Chief-Administrative
Michael Pollard, Captain

64 N. Union St., Suite 559
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: (334) 242-3467
Fax: (334) 353-1603

email: dcnr.enforce@dcnr.alabama.gov
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 07:18 PM

Great post, Clem!!!

The GW's have a hard job. Why not work with them to help out?
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 07:21 PM

The Game Watch 1-800 # is what I've had the best luck with. Even if you know your local GWs # ya don't know who's on duty and when.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 07:25 PM

Agreed, 2Dogs. Calling and using Game Watch always gets someone. I've used it several times.
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:01 PM

I used it twice last year an never got a call back
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:12 PM

Which one does marshall fall into?

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:18 PM

Good question, Haybale. It's not listed on there, is it? Let me check. I didn't even notice that.

Free State of Marshall County? LOL

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:19 PM

Pretty certain it's in District II, which is headquartered in Jacksonville.
Posted By: cdcrosshunt

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:20 PM

Yes District II
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 08:52 PM

Yep. Met the GW last year at a little lease I have. We walked over it and he found a good spot for a turkey decoy to catch a road hunter. He has a key on his ring to my gates. Talk to them and work with them.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: jsh1904

Me too. Disappointed with the "No Response" I also received.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 10:20 PM

Maybe ya'll don't know how to get the point across. In early Jan. I heard a shot near our line,upon investigation I found where someone had shot a deer and been in one of my stands. I found the gut pile and thought nothing I could do. When I left the woods, I had to run up to the local processor and when I got there he just had a nice 10pt dropped off, I recognized the buck as one I had passed up a week before. I had watched this deer 10 min and the place I found where the deer was shot was about 200 yards from where I 'd seen him. I WENT OFF, I asked him who brought it and told him I knew where it came from. The name was one of a local poacher/outlaw. I got his # and was gonna call him but called the Game Watch # first. I told the lady what was going on and she better get the GW there,county Sheriff, State Trooper, I didn't care because this was gonna get ugly real quick! Less than 10 min GW called said he's on the way and for me to calm down, he'd handle it. And he did. This happened on a Sunday afternoon.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 10:51 PM

I hate you guys have problems getting in touch with the GW's. I called the sherrifs office the first time I needed the GW. I got a call back in 10 minutes. Now I have the cell phone numbers of the GW's in both counties I hunt with. Good people.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/10/13 10:52 PM

That is what I do if I can't get them on the phone......call the dispatcher.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 02:01 AM

These guys do have a hard job. A little understanding and respect goes a long way with them too. I have been with guys that get an attitude with them and that's the worst thing to do.
Posted By: t123winters

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 03:24 AM

I have never had any trouble getting in touch with our wardens here in Jackson county,these guys work hard and are stand up guys.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: t123winters
I have never had any trouble getting in touch with our wardens here in Jackson county,these guys work hard and are stand up guys.

I agree and concur.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 04:17 AM

I have the game warden's cell and home phone number in my area in my cell phone in case I ever need him.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 04:45 AM

Game watch worked for me, and now I have his cell#.
Posted By: TallCoHunter

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 03:33 PM

I will give Greg G. the GW for Talladega Co. a good reference any time. He has always been responsive and very adamant about catching violators.

In addition to having all of the game watch contact info posted on the camphouse wall, we have a quick reference sheet in each shooting house also.

While it may seem a bit overboard we had a member call the game warden from a shooting house to let him know we had trespassers, so being prepared in this case allowed our member to call for help without ever having to reveal himself to.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: doecommander
Originally Posted By: TallCoHunter
I will give Greg G. the GW for Talladega Co. a good reference any time. He has always been responsive and very adamant about catching violators.

In addition to having all of the game watch contact info posted on the camphouse wall, we have a quick reference sheet in each shooting house also.

While it may seem a bit overboard we had a member call the game warden from a shooting house to let him know we had trespassers, so being prepared in this case allowed our member to call for help without ever having to reveal himself to.

He may be ok but the other one is not. Just give Jerry a call. He will wind up writing you a ticket.

Only if someone who was breaking the Law themselves was dumb enough to call the GW on someone else.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 03:57 PM

long as people are not shooting from the road or across my line i don't really care .

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 04:15 PM

Quote:
While it may seem a bit overboard we had a member call the game warden from a shooting house to let him know we had trespassers

This is not "overboard" at all. This is exactly what hunters should do - have the number(s) available in their cell and call The Man when there's a problem. Good for your guy who called.
Posted By: TtownBuckMaster

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 05:11 PM

Yep - we had some poachers this year. Tried to do the right thing and let the game wardens handle it. Called them but they wouldn't even return my call. Dispatcher said she'd deliver the message....

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/11/13 06:08 PM

One call or multiples?
Posted By: roscopeecotrane

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/22/13 12:23 PM

Two Dogs, how did he handle it? I and others have called our local GW and it takes an act of congress to get them out or involved in anything since they are stretched so think.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 02/26/13 05:41 PM

Get your LEO's number. DO NOT DEPEND ON THAT 1-800 NUMBER!!!!

It has failed me twice in the recent past. A local LEO wasn't happy he didn't recieve the call from them. I now have his number.

I will say that the TWRA's hotline has been used twice when officers left and both times I got return calls immediately.
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 02:39 AM

Thanks for having this posted. It came in real handy tonight after calling the 1800 number maybe 10 mins later a GW called me.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 03:01 AM

Why did you have to call the Game Warden
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 03:06 AM

It's posted on general talk
Posted By: globe

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 02:20 PM

I called before season to let them know where to catch some folks who start gun season every October 15th (last three years). Black lady said to call back when a crime was committed. I was trying to be proactive, but she turned me off real quick.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 02:33 PM

Quote:
Black lady said to call back when a crime was committed.

If she said this then DCNR should be talking with their receptionists or staff. That's bullcrap. Doesn't law enforcement always say "see something, say something" and talk about being proactive? Seems like they would welcome tips like this. Dang.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/09/16 10:17 PM

Johnny Johnson is Captain in District 2 now and Darryl Askew is Captain in District 1 now.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/10/16 07:06 AM

We have been working with our local GW for 7 years (officially) in trying to catch 3 road hunters. Yesterday, one of them had a picture of one of our deer on Facebook. He had the usual entourage of followers kidding, congratulating him, and in general, helping him keep his supposed notoriety among his "friends". He loves the attention.
After 7 years (at least), we are to the breaking point.
All we ever hear, though, is why these folks can't be caught by the LEOs. Pretty chitty attitude.
Have heard that the meat is left wherever they cut the head off.
Real sportsmen.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/10/16 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
We have been working with our local GW for 7 years (officially) in trying to catch 3 road hunters. Yesterday, one of them had a picture of one of our deer on Facebook. He had the usual entourage of followers kidding, congratulating him, and in general, helping him keep his supposed notoriety among his "friends". He loves the attention.
All we ever hear, though, is why these folks can't be caught by the LEOs. Pretty chitty attitude.
Real sportsmen.

This guy ride around in a van? Have two sons? May have heard of this guy, in your neck of woods.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/10/16 09:06 AM

Real sportsmen.

This is where a small vigilante team, unknown to the outlaws could do some "good works".

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 01/10/16 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Johnny Johnson is Captain in District 2 now and Darryl Askew is Captain in District 1 now.

Fred retire?
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/21/16 04:06 PM

Bump back to the top for a good post this time of year.
Everyone should have the gamewatch & their districts office # stored in their phones as well as a address for the club or section of property.
First thing asked when you call will be whats the address. With a smart phone you can go to the map icon and find your current location on the road. Usually wont be exact but something like 1242-1310 co rd 12. Enough to get them close enough to find you.

Tip from the game warden to me ... If you find someone on your land. Call sheriff dept first then them. Tell sheriff have someone armed on your property and the game warden instructed you to call them.
When they arrive you want them charged with hunting without permission (not trespassing).
Any club member can do this acting as a club representative. It doesn't have to be just the lease holder to do it.
Take pictures of them and their vehicle/tag.
If warden is tied up he can take sheriffs report and proceed from there.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/21/16 05:35 PM

One of them told me one time that they are required to have their home numbers published so they can be contacted if needed. I also know that the local SO or 911 dispatchers have ways to contact them.

Keep in mind also that at times, and I don't know the status right know, they are restricted to 40 hrs/week. Once they hit 40 they can't go out anymore that week barring a real emergency.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/21/16 11:38 PM

And they'll get written up over overtime. Working for the State is pretty crappy right now.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/22/16 12:27 AM

It's not just "right now." The overtime deal has been in place for many years.
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/22/16 07:20 AM

Used it 3 times in the past 4 years and got 1 call back. I have found it best to contact the GW directly..

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/22/16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem

It's not just "right now." The overtime deal has been in place for many years.

Yep. All stemmed from a lawsuit several years ago over overtime, so "the State" cut it all out.

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/22/16 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem

District I
Blount, Colbert, Cullman, Fayette, Franklin, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Morgan, Walker, and Winston counties.

Captain Johnny Johnson
21453 Harris Station Road
Tanner, AL 35671
Phone: (256-353-2634)

email: dcnr.d1wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District II
Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, Coosa, DeKalb, Etowah, Jackson, Randolph, St. Clair, Talladega and Tallapoosa counties.

Captain Fred Bain
4101 Hwy. 21 North
Jacksonville, AL 36265
(256) 435-1642

email: dcnr.d2wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District III
Autauga, Bibb, Chilton, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Jefferson, Lowndes, Marengo, Perry, Pickens, Shelby, Sumter, and Tuscaloosa counties

Captain Dennis Sanford
8211 McFarland Blvd.
P.O. Box 305
Northport, AL 35476
(205) 339-5716

email: dcnr.d3wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District IV
Barbour, Bullock, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Elmore, Geneva, Henry, Houston, Lee, Macon, Montgomery, Pike and Russell counties

Captain Chris Lewis
3520 Plaza Drive
Enterprise, AL 36330
(334) 347-1298

email: dcnr.d4wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

District V
Baldwin, Butler, Choctaw, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Marengo, Mobile, Monroe, Washington, and Wilcox counties

Captain Kenneth Blalock
30571 Five Rivers Blvd
Spanish Fort, AL 36527
(251) 626-5153
email: dcnr.d5wff@dcnr.alabama.gov

Montgomery Headquarters

Kevin Dodd, Chief Enforcement Officer
Mark Rouleau, Assistant Chief-Administrative
Michael Pollard, Captain

64 N. Union St., Suite 559
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: (334) 242-3467
Fax: (334) 353-1603

email: dcnr.enforce@dcnr.alabama.gov

Since the original post, Fred Bain has retired and Johnny Johnson is now "back home" in district II.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/22/16 05:01 PM

I keepem on speed dial
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/24/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel white

Real sportsmen.

This guy ride around in a van? Have two sons? May have heard of this guy, in your neck of woods.

Wth...Is this DANIEL WHITE? ^^^ Maybe you can give some of updates on that dog hunting soon?
Posted By: Vernon Tull

Re: Contacting Your Game Wardens - 10/24/16 10:35 PM

The two GWs I knew in Marion County have both retired, and I have not the slightest idea who the new GWs are. Of course it's not like I've got a whole line of people trying to hunt my woods back here!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM