Aldeer.com

Buck Roar

Posted By: truedouble

Buck Roar - 01/06/13 05:35 PM

Yesterday morning I started hearing a strange sound way off toward the bottom of the mnt. I had no clue what it was and kind of forgot about it. About 20 minutes later 3 bucks came in with a doe. The mature buck was charging the two younger bucks trying to keep them from messing with the doe. He made the "roaring" sound at least a dozen times right in front of me as he continued to charge the bucks. He was a broken up 8, probably 3 year old. Had blood all over his ear and base of his horns. The 7 and 4 point he was running off didn't seem to be hurt so I'm guessing he had a scuffle with a different buck.

Anyway, just curious if any of you have ever heard a buck make this sound in Alabama. Seen it on Primos commercials but never heard in real life. Pretty unusual and cool hunt.
Posted By: t123winters

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 05:45 PM

I have heard them make most all sounds,but never heard that it would be awesome to hear.

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 05:59 PM

yep, heard bleats from does and fawns, hear bucks grunt just about every season, seen bucks fight, but never heard this until yesterday.
Posted By: t123winters

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 06:09 PM

I know several people who have heard this,but I have never been fortunate enough to witness it. I have even heard a snort wheeze,first thought it was a deer blowing at me until I noticed 2 bucks circling each other(young bucks) thought I was going to see a fight,but that didn't happen.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 06:22 PM

Yes I have heard it several times in the Midwest and last year in Bama when I killed 7 1/2 yr old 8 pt chasing a hot doe. There were 4 other bucks trying to get his doe away from him. I've never heard all the sounds those bucks were making that day. I thought it was wooly booger coming through the woods before I actually saw them. I also recently heard a buck grunting and growling in the same general area as the previous encounter.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 06:22 PM

Snort wheeze, grunts, bleats, and a doe make a noise similar to a "breeding bellow " but it was just the last part, I was in a ground blind and she walked into the field doing it, it was the last note that rolls off at the end . And a fawn make a squeaking noise walking around her momma .
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 06:39 PM

Heard it one year, had a doe come running by and I just knew he would be by soon. Guess he was running a couple of does cause he never showed. Wish I would have seen him
Posted By: 04 Spoiler

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 08:16 PM

I heard it for the first time last year a couple of mornings in a row before I killed my deer...
Posted By: JW

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 08:17 PM

I heard one doing it years ago but never knew what it was till a few years back. He was chasing the heck out of a doe when he was doing it. It about scared me cause it was getting dark that day.
Posted By: bill

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 08:23 PM

Heard it twice one morning 3 years ago. I knew what it was and was on high alert but they never came out of the thick stuff. I laughed at those new buck roar calls until I actually heard a live deer do it.

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 08:45 PM

Yep, that it was just another money making gimmick as well but I bet a mature buck in the right mood with come to it.

I now remember hearing the same noise about 5-6 years ago, same time of year (during the rut) and it was late, almost dark. I remember not wanting to get out of my stand cause I had no clue what was making it. Kind of an erie sound.
Posted By: doecommander

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 09:30 PM

It works. That is all I will say.
Posted By: longspur69

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 09:39 PM

This is going to devastate James "Bobo" Faye when he finds out he's been chasing a ticked off buck all these years. blush
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Buck Roar - 01/06/13 10:05 PM

A guy that I hunt with had a small buck chasing does around him all morning Friday. He said that buck "roared" a couple times. First time he'd ever heard it and I've never heard it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 12:19 AM

I have. Wild sound!
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 01:16 AM

I heard a nice buck do it four or five times last year. The buck had a doe cornered in a cane break by the river. She wasn't ready to stand for him yet. They chassed for atleast 4 hours back and forth. Could've shot him with a gun, but I was bowhunting. Probably my favorite hunt of all time, even though I didn't kill anything. Awesome to see and hear all the grunting, growling, scraping, rubbing, and two different times, even could hear them panting.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: doecommander
It works. That is all I will say.

Yes it does.
I've been using it for a couple of years now with some success.
I have found that younger bucks will get out of town when using it.
Posted By: westflgator

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 03:24 AM

I've heard quite a bit of grunting over the years, but I have heard the sound you are describing one time. It was actually at night and I was sitting outside around a fire at the camp. It was real quite there was only a couple of us in camp that particular night. And all of the sudden I heard a buck chasing a doe about 150-200 yards down in the bottom below our camp. Then he let out what sounded somewhat like a bull yearling bellering like he was hung in a fence or something. I mean they were long, loud, bellers that almost sounded like he was in pain. But he was getting after that doe pretty hard the whole time. It was pretty neat to witness as I sat there amazed at the sounds I was hearing coming from this buck.
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 03:44 AM

Last yr on the Mossy Oak farm two bucks were fighting and they were growling something fierce. Craziest sounds I've ever heard a deer make. They went at it for 30 mins.
Posted By: JBinGulfShores

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 06:04 PM

Yes, I've heard it.
Count ourself lucky because most folks never will.

That is so COOL to witness!

When I first heard a snort wheeze about 15 years ago, my father and friends said I was crazy!
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Buck Roar - 01/07/13 08:06 PM

I heard it on my last trip to Missouri. It was cool.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM