Aldeer.com

Barnes Triple Shock

Posted By: BPS

Barnes Triple Shock - 11/01/12 02:17 PM

Just bought 50 custom loaded Barnes Triple Shock 140gr bullets for my 280. I've been shooting Hornady SST 140's for the past 4yrs and have loved the damage they have always done. I've read up on the Barnes and have seen nothing but positives about them. I was excited to change to something new but now I'm nervous about it since the SST's have always worked for me. Anyone have any opinions on the barnes? My buddy that loaded them is a pro and has a buisness loading ammo. He used new Winchester cases and mentioned 4-5 modifications he did to them to customise them. I've shot his stuff before and know he is good. The only thing I'm concerned with is bullet performance.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/01/12 03:00 PM

If you like a bullet that holds it's weight and get pass-thrus, you'll love that bullet. Accuracy isnt an issue either.

I've shot them for years and I can't ever remember not one single time not getting an exit hole. That goes for the Spitfire Mzl bullets also.

I don't shoot them now due to being hard to find and I don't reload. However, I will buy a box when I find them again in my caliber and grain I prefer.

I will hit the TN woods saturday morning with 250gr Barnes Spitfires in my Omega however.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/01/12 03:02 PM

My buddy uses them in his 30-06 because he was worried about his family ingesting lead in deer meat. He says they are the best bullet he has ever used and he will never use anything else. He says they are usually a bang flop but on the few that ran he got good bloodtrails. He also said they were very accurate. I am thinking about switching.
Posted By: BamaBart

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/01/12 03:42 PM

I'll be using the 100 gr. TTSX in my 25-06 this year. I've heard nothing but good things about this bullet!
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/01/12 05:54 PM

They are incredible bulletsthey will not fragment, if you do find one in a animal u kill, it will look exactly like it does on their promotions. For the hand loader, once u have your gun sighted in, chrono it and get Ty herring who is their guru to tell you the ranges and heights it will be at down range, he can also walk you thru the best powder and charges for your specific gun/barrel length. When you do kill a deer with them, while u are skinning them, notice how far the blood vessels are busted away from the entry exit wound
Posted By: bshunt

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/02/12 12:45 AM

I use the TSX Bullet out of my 7mm.08 and my 300 WSM.They are wicked.I've not shot the Hornady SST so have no comparison.The Barnes have alway's bang and flop for me.They leave a heck of a exit wound.I beleive you will be impressed.Also,very accurate out of my gun's.
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/02/12 01:40 AM

Love them. The shock when they hit the deer is amazing.
Posted By: BPS

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/02/12 04:35 PM

thanks for the input. I'm not vervous anymore. Will be shooting it this weekend and hoping my scope will not require much change since they are both 140gr.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/02/12 04:40 PM

The only bad thing I have ever heard about them is they leave a lot of cooper fouling in the barrel, so be sure to get a good cooper solvent.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/02/12 10:26 PM

I've heard someone else about copper fouling--why would these cause copper fouling any more than all other bullets which are encased in copper?
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:07 AM

I will be using them in my 257wby.

they make a great wound on a dear. youtube the ballistic gel slow motion shots. they open up into petals that cut like a hot knife through butter.

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:10 AM

I clean my barrels one time a year, it shoots as good on the first shot as the last before I clean it, speaking of.......its about that time guys!!!!

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:12 AM

Otis makes a great system that packs up easily. I like to take it out about this time and shoot a few times and clean it up good.

Also, you can get a bore snake and some solvents that pack easily and only take a few minutes to run through.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: cullbuck
I've heard someone else about copper fouling--why would these cause copper fouling any more than all other bullets which are encased in copper?

I have wondered the same thing. I personally think its one of the best bullets out there.

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:36 AM

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 02:42 AM

Posted By: kkeith1957

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 05:40 AM

Thats a bad bullet
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 07:33 AM

Shoot the 100gr TSX's in my .257WBY...love 'em.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 06:38 PM

For you guys that don't reload your own, what brand do you use?

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/03/12 10:07 PM

I reload but everyone I refer hem to gets federal loaded with them, Barnes produces their own called vortex but they haven't shot well for the people I know who have bought them.

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/04/12 03:32 AM

Weatherby makes a load with the TTSX
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/06/12 03:15 PM

I always shot the Federal Premium loaded with them. Very accurate factory loads.

The Barnes Vortex is tipped with a ballistic, which some like and some don't.

Re: Barnes Triple Shock - 11/06/12 10:15 PM

:^^^^^ its a plastic plug to increase b.c. and to help quicker expansion, no difference on p.o.I.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM