Aldeer.com

Tracking a deer after shot

Posted By: desertdog

Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 03:38 AM

What would the temp have to be to let a deer lay over night if you think you made a marganial shot?I think I am loosing to many deer by pushing them when I need to back out.
Posted By: burbank

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 04:09 AM

How many have you lost?

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 04:16 AM

More than I want to say.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 05:32 AM

It doesn't really matter what temp it is. Coyotes in Alabama can usually eat a deer overnight anyways.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 05:55 AM

20 Minutes with a good shot. If you can't make a good shot you shouldn't be taking it. Everybody messes up every so often. Gut shot I would wait a couple hours.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 11:49 AM

What broadhead do u shoot??

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 12:12 PM

[quote=hunterturf]What broadhead do u shoot?? [/quo

Gator Expandbles switched to Slick Tricks this year,have yet to shoot anything yet with them.I agree you should only take ethical shots but in 20 years of hunting it's going to happen.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 12:13 PM

When I look back at the deer I have lost, the vast majority of the time it was shots that I should not have taken. Practice Practice and Practice some more. Know your limits and then have the ability to stick to them. I rarely shoot at a deer over 25 yards. In fact, I don't think I have shot at one over 25 in the past few years. Maybe just a yard or two over but not much at all. Even with that said, I still lost one last year to Lake Martin. Not much you can do about a deer that decides to go swimming.

Review your shots and shot situations. Learn from your mistakes. Try to evaluate if it is you or your equipment. Be honest on that one. It is rare that it is really the equipments fault. You owe it to the animals to do your very best to make it quick and clean.

I have no idea if you are using a rangefinder or not, if not, work save and skimp to get one. It will make a big difference.

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
When I look back at the deer I have lost, the vast majority of the time it was shots that I should not have taken. Practice Practice and Practice some more. Know your limits and then have the ability to stick to them. I rarely shoot at a deer over 25 yards. In fact, I don't think I have shot at one over 25 in the past few years. Maybe just a yard or two over but not much at all. Even with that said, I still lost one last year to Lake Martin. Not much you can do about a deer that decides to go swimming.

Review your shots and shot situations. Learn from your mistakes. Try to evaluate if it is you or your equipment. Be honest on that one. It is rare that it is really the equipments fault. You owe it to the animals to do your very best to make it quick and clean.

I have no idea if you are using a rangefinder or not, if not, work save and skimp to get one. It will make a big difference.

Thanks Elkhunter I agree I have to much respect for the animal to not try and make a clean kill.
Posted By: BPS

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 12:38 PM

rangefinder by far the best tool i ever invested in for bow hunting.
Posted By: T-town

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 12:59 PM

If you only get 1 lung and/ or marginal liver hit, it can take hours for the deer to expire. Gut shot, it might be 2 days before they keel over. No sense worrying about the meat if they're still alive. Most doublelung/ heart shots don't make it out of sight or hearing distance. Anything other than that it's a wild ass guess?
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 02:30 PM

I lost a bunch of deer with those gator broadheads. I decided to shoot a dead deer with them to see what the problem was. Most of them would only penetrate 3-4 inches. I put one of by buddies fixed blades on, and it was a pass through everytime. Same bow same arrow. That was the last time I hunted with those.

To answer your question, I would say low 50's.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter

very well said thumbup
Posted By: country boy06

Re: Tracking a deer after shot - 10/31/12 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: desertdog
What would the temp have to be to let a deer lay over night if you think you made a marganial shot?I think I am loosing to many deer by pushing them when I need to back out.

Think of like a frig if it 44 and lower degrees it is good to let lay meat will be find if it hotter it depends on how long before it died but always if made marganial shot let lay long as possible before tracking get down check for arrow and blood and see if it is good blood or bad blood meaning if you see bubbles in blood or not. bubbles are good that means lung any thing else would let lay no blood green on arrow gut shot come back next day and good luck. that is just my 2 cents and way i look at it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM