Aldeer.com

Talladega National Forest?

Posted By: clarkdeer

Talladega National Forest? - 06/26/12 06:02 PM

Any of you guys ever hunt the Talladega National Forest, Oakmulgee division? And does anyone know if the rules and regulations are the same the Oakmulgee WMA? I mostly bow hunt and probably dont want to hunt it on one of the gun dates. Thanks
Posted By: 49er

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/26/12 08:01 PM

I used to hunt the NF near Oakmulgee, but it's been a while.

The NF lands are not regulated by the Oakmulgee WMA rules.

Look on page 21 of the 2011-12 Regulation Book at the following link for last year's hunting season on NF lands:
Regulation Book 2011-2012

The new season will probably be similar.

Make sure you have a map and know how to read it. There are plenty of parcels of privately owned lands surrounded by NF land. Check with the Ranger Station in Brent for a map, or find one online and learn it well.

If you're good at reading maps, this one online will help some. If you're not good at reading maps, you need to get good at it if you're planning on hunting public lands:

Oakmulgee Div. NF road map

... or you can buy this one:

NF map

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/26/12 09:46 PM

Thank you 49er. I got a map and have been rideing some of the roads. Looking at the regulation guide am I correct in saying that the gun dates are the same as the regular gun season, there are no "gun dates" like the WMA has. Is that correct?
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/26/12 10:15 PM

That's correct. When the firearms season starts you're good until the end of the season.
Posted By: 49er

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/27/12 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: clarkdeer
Thank you 49er. I got a map and have been rideing some of the roads. Looking at the regulation guide am I correct in saying that the gun dates are the same as the regular gun season, there are no "gun dates" like the WMA has. Is that correct?

There are some differences in regular gun season and NF seasons even though they look very similar.

Be careful!!

When you hunt NF lands, be sure to go by the NF hunting season schedule, not the regular gun season schedule.
Posted By: trox28

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/27/12 04:19 AM

I had a few hundred acres leased out in perry co. that was surrounded by national forest.Biggest waste of time and money.That place is hunted to death.Never seen a racked buck during daylight although I knew what was there.I sit in my stand 1 morning and heard 16 shots between daylight and 7am.Just ridiculous at the pressure on the national forest land around my old lease.
Posted By: oneshotscott

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/27/12 04:01 PM

hunt around the dinky line,lots of back roads that carry you way on up in the woods.cant tell you about my favorite spot there though.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/27/12 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: trox28
I had a few hundred acres leased out in perry co. that was surrounded by national forest.Biggest waste of time and money.That place is hunted to death.Never seen a racked buck during daylight although I knew what was there.I sit in my stand 1 morning and heard 16 shots between daylight and 7am.Just ridiculous at the pressure on the national forest land around my old lease.

Ya thats what Im afraid of. I mostly bow hunt so I was hoping the NF just had a few gun hunt days like the WMA has.
Posted By: oneshotscott

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/27/12 10:37 PM

you can bowhunt on the management land all during gun season,not just the scheduled hunts,lots green fields.you just have to get out and scout them out.they are marked on the map.
Posted By: DS4AU

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 06/28/12 02:26 AM

I hunted be Nf near oakmulgee last year a couple of times and had a blast. Saw several deer all three times I hunted it. Killed a small buck my second morning. Get a good map and I would suggest a GPS. Some of the locals told me the deer were destroying their gardens. Another couple complained because they liked feeding them and did not trust hunters so close to their house. Good luck
Posted By: Bamaboy1023

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/04/17 10:40 PM

Hey guys I'm new to the national forest any tips or areas
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 11:35 AM

Holy thread resurrection batman
Posted By: Jlu509

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dkhargroves
Holy thread resurrection batman
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 01:40 PM

Strong first post
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 01:42 PM

You should really search out the existing Clorox stumps. I beleive a few guys on here have a few that they keep up. As sure of a slam dunk as possible
Posted By: PineStalker89

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 09:27 PM

A good map and boot leather is ALWAYS the best place to start.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 09:38 PM

Is that in the talledega I'm not sure

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/05/17 09:39 PM

Yeah I've went to a few areas look nice not much sign though
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/06/17 01:59 PM

You ain't lying. I would go as far as to say that its the most pressured area in the state.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/06/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Nightwatchman

You ain't lying. I would go as far as to say that its the most pressured area in the state.

I've hunted there, and I've leased private land bordering the NF, for over 30 years. There was a time it was good hunting. No so anymore. Not only is the NF hunted and poached 24/7 nonstop, but its a popular hangout for the drunk road warriors and ATV ninjas. Private land means nothing, they run everywhere, shoot all day and all night.
The deer are so terrified they don't dare move in daylight hours.
Plus there is next to ZERO enforcement, so all the drunk road runners and poachers are bold as ever.
I will still go turkey in the NF but deer hunting is a waste of time.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/08/17 09:39 AM

Yeah i walked up on turkey second time there but I'm a rare breed I'll post pics of my kills soon gotta go further than everyone else

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/08/17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Bamaboy1023
gotta go further than everyone else

I will agree that sometimes, on public land, you need to go in deep. Especially turkey hunting. Call shy birds will almost never answer a call from the road.
But I've also found success (deer hunting) right beside the road, where others never considered hunting.
Don't neglect a spot just because it ain't deep woods. Think like a deer.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/08/17 11:13 PM

Thanks man I just figured they'd be more pressured I've been looking into the management areas too but they have alot of rules

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/08/17 11:16 PM

I've found a trail I've been looking at thro satellite and topo maps I lost my map I played 10 dollars for there's a little pond and trail runs by it I'll check it out soon looks promising just not sure if it's forest I'm sure it is bc like I said a trail runs through it

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/08/17 11:40 PM

Yeah i walked up on turkey second time there but I'm a rare breed I'll post pics of my kills soon gotta go further than everyone else

Rare breed?

You cant really go further than any anyone else on the nf land just about the time you get to an area where you think no one has ever been there before you'll find a pile of beer cans
Posted By: Geno

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/09/17 03:00 PM

That's why you should pack the empties out.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/15/17 09:33 PM

True I did find a decent spot no luck yet but I'm not giving up
Posted By: pcamper

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/15/17 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

Rare breed?

You cant really go further than any anyone else on the nf land just about the time you get to an area where you think no one has ever been there before you'll find a pile of beer cans

Cant be any worse than the HC I just got out of. Drinking was the norm, Ive gone to a shooting house and there would fresh beer cans everywhere. Last season I went to a stand and there were 18 fresh beer cans left in the stand with the pack. Unbelievable. That was the point I decided to bail out. It was nothing to see moonshine being passed around. It was a great place to hunt but It was scary mixed with so much alcohol. I questioned the safety of it and then became the outcast. I'm going to try some public land this year, can't be any worse.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/15/17 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: pcamper

Rare breed?

Cant be any worse than the HC I just got out of. Drinking was the norm, Ive gone to a shooting house and there would fresh beer cans everywhere. Last season I went to a stand and there were 18 fresh beer cans left in the stand with the pack. Unbelievable. That was the point I decided to bail out. It was nothing to see moonshine being passed around. It was a great place to hunt but It was scary mixed with so much alcohol. I questioned the safety of it and then became the outcast. I'm going to try some public land this year, can't be any worse.

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. The beer cans are from people partying out in the woods
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/15/17 10:41 PM

Yeah, not sure he picked up what you put down. I laughed when I read your post. You are exactly right. About the time you think you couldn’t get any deeper in the woods you find an ancient PBR can with the old pull top.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 08:35 AM

Yea so what there's so much land that shouldn't matter I liked the sign I've seen and r4wlly only one or two cans I'm going this afternoon we'll see how it goes

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 06:18 PM

Yea so what there's so much land that shouldn't matter I liked the sign I've seen and r4wlly only one or two cans I'm going this afternoon we'll see how it goes

Are you really driving from Roanoke down here to hunt?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 06:41 PM

Are you really driving from Roanoke down here to hunt?

Im pretty sure he's hunting the talladega nat frst not the oakmulgee branch of it.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 06:54 PM

I'm gonna take off the whole week of muzzy season and hunt the TNF before all the yeehaws get in there.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 08:47 PM

I'm in school at oxford

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 08:47 PM

But I would

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 08:50 PM

I found a nice shed wanna up load pic not sure how even jumped a deer he didn't blow so I'll let this place cool off and go back in a week or two I walked up on a two long beards

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 08:50 PM

I found a nice shed wanna up load pic not sure how even jumped a deer he didn't blow so I'll let this place cool off and go back in a week or two I walked up on a two long beards
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 09:10 PM

It takes a rarebreed to find a shed spook a deer walk up on two long beards in one afternoon if I were you I would just keep walking around and see what else you can add to your list maybe a chipmunk good luck and keep us posted on your adventures

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7

It takes a rarebreed to find a shed spook a deer walk up on two long beards in one afternoon if I were you I would just keep walking around and see what else you can add to your list maybe a chipmunk good luck and keep us posted on your adventures

rofl
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7

Oh my sweet goodness rofl
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/16/17 10:58 PM

Lol

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 05:47 AM

You're the reason I don't hunt public land anymore.
Damn scary.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:33 PM

Thhere wasn't any cars at the gate I knew I could scout

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:34 PM

I was 3 miles in then walked another two miles it's ok u guys are suppose be support group and good don't hunt more for us

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:35 PM

Will do scrub buck will do

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:42 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:43 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:44 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:46 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:46 PM

Last year's buck
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:52 PM

I think you may be the latest meteorite to Aldeer. You are either gonna crash to the ground or burn up.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 06:57 PM

Y'all do me a favor and just stay out of the NF, thanks.
Posted By: bruceleejones2

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: rulebreaker
I think you may be the latest meteorite to Aldeer. You are either gonna crash to the ground or burn up.

rofl

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 09:30 PM

I thought u guys would be helpful not so women like

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 09:31 PM

Good thing haters are my motivators

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/17/17 09:32 PM

Hunting it all

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/18/17 08:38 AM

Haha seen two does found big boy on the ridge now I know where to set up

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/18/17 09:04 AM

Oh yea I did see a chipmunch too

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/25/17 09:24 PM

Alright guys let spike walk but ive found two bucka

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/25/17 09:24 PM

Bucks
Posted By: 30_06gang

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/26/17 12:11 AM

You wouldn’t happen to be buddies with a certain guy named John Travis would you?
Posted By: ImLost2

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 10/26/17 09:13 AM

I use to hunt the Duncanville area when I lived in B'ham I took a couple of nice deer off the TNF.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 01:12 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 01:12 PM

Haha told u guys
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 01:58 PM

***...sits back and waits for someone to investigate the pic's time stamp...***

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 02:19 PM

Thought you said you were on a big deer?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 03:49 PM

He had to cut off a couple pounds of antlers for the 8 mile drag back to the truck

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 10:10 PM

Lol nah did drag it 350 yards and up big hills im happy with it yall can hate ill show u another soon
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/18/17 10:31 PM

We need to get Bamaboy and JohnTravis on a hunting show together. Wouldn't be a damn deer left in the USA.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/19/17 12:40 PM

Sounds good to me hell
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/19/17 02:31 PM

rofl thumbup
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/19/17 03:36 PM

Nice buck bamaboy!
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/19/17 08:46 PM

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 12/20/17 08:14 PM

Thanks pow pow

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 01/21/18 12:54 AM

Well guys some more hunting news seen the biggest buck of my life 130 yards first shot missed next must have been liver or gutt shot he mule kicked then didn't bleed any until he layed down jumped him once backed off a couple of hours then jumped him again in another spot good dark blood but no trail we searched 200 circle around he layed with in 30 yards of each other the first two times no luck sucks so bad😭
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 01/21/18 08:51 AM

Go back today with a dog. If he was liver shot he should not be far.

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 01/21/18 11:51 AM

He layed down within 30 yards of each other but the land owner doesn't want dogs on the property

Re: Talladega National Forest? - 01/28/18 05:26 AM

Still can't find my deer
© 2024 ALDEER.COM