Aldeer.com

100 Deer Thrill Kill

Posted By: Shuter II

100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/30/12 07:08 PM

A Wisconsin man, who along with his three friends is suspected of illegally slaughtering as many as 100 deer in what prosecutors call an unprecedented "thrill-kill" spree, faces up to six months in jail.

Nathan Blaha, 20, of Hillsboro, Wis., and his accomplices allegedly wandered the backroads of Richland County in a pickup truck, stunning deer with a light before shooting them and leaving their carcasses to rot in what he called a contest to “get the most deer,” according to court documents.

"This is the antithesis of hunting," Richland County District Attorney Jennifer Harper told FoxNews.com Thursday. "This is thrill killing."

Blaha, and his alleged accomplices, 17-year-old Steven Blaha and 18-year-old Brogan Gillingham, face criminal charges in the December killing spree, when the suspects allegedly shot whitetail deer from the road after dark and without a license. A fourth suspect, a juvenile male who has not been named, was issued citations, Harper said. Steven Blaha can be tried as an adult under Wisconsin law.

According to a criminal complaint obtained by FoxNews.com, the older Blaha, who is believed to have done most of the shooting, confessed to killing 20 to 30 deer “this past fall and during the 2011-2012 gun deer season illegally.”

"The reason I was doing this was because we all kind of had bets who could get the most deer," Blaha said in a written statement to Conservation Warden Mike Nice of Richland Center.

But Blaha's co-defendants estimated the number of slain deer to be much greater, telling authorities they believe he illegally shot and killed as many as 100 whitetail deer within the past two years.

"There have been cases of shining and road hunting," Harper said, "but nothing to this extent." Deer shining is the practice of using a high-powered, hand-held light to see the animal at night. The bright light is commonly used by hunters to track the location of deer herds at night when the animals are most active.

The 20-year-old Blaha is charged with three counts that each carry a penalty of up to six months in jail and a $1,000 minimum fine. He also faces revocation of hunting rights for the next nine years.

The investigation into the illegal deer killings began when private landowners reported hearing gunshots at night and finding deer carcasses on their properties.

Licensed deer hunting is a time-honored tradition throughout the scenic landscape of Richland County, and other parts of the state, during a nine-day period around Thanksgiving. Residents must obtain a license and conform to various regulations and ethical rules. Hunters can use only certain kinds of weapons, for example, and are prohibited from shooting after sundown.

The suspected illegal slaughtering of deer by Blaha violated all the rules of hunting, authorities said, and has since outraged many hunters and conservation groups who claim Blaha may have depleted the herd and brought unfair notoriety to the sport.

"Some people hear this story and they think that’s what hunters do," said Jeffrey Schinkten, president of Whitetails Unlimited, a national conservation organization based in Sturgeon Bay, Wis.

"He’s not a hunter. He’s a game thief," Schinkten told FoxNews.com. "I hope they throw the book at him. It’s unconscionable."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/30/wis.../#ixzz1qd2A80zH
Posted By: gman

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/30/12 08:05 PM

"stunning" the deer with a light huh. Been thru wisconsin..they didn't touch the population. Safe, nah. Ethical, nah. But they didn't hurt the population at all. Still can't get over the "stunning" the deer comment. wink
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/30/12 08:22 PM

Pieces of schit like that give all hunters a bad name. I hope they get the maximum jail time and licenses revoked for life.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/30/12 09:16 PM

I remember last year there were some guys that got in trouble for killing that many turkeys while riding the roads....deer are easy.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/30/12 11:21 PM

What's the big deal, that's every season in Jackson Co. We got one bragging about killing 30 bucks, and I bet it's true. mad
Posted By: Hunly

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/31/12 12:06 AM

I know they have a big deer population up there, but come on. I hope they slam him with all that they can.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/31/12 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Pieces of schit like that give all hunters a bad name. I hope they get the maximum jail time and licenses revoked for life.

uh no, it don't. why would u say it gives all hunters a bad name ?
Posted By: Bucktrot

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/31/12 04:23 PM

It kinda does Frankie. People or the general public, likes to generalize and if they see more than a few bad examples of unethical hunters, they'll incorrectly assume that all hunters are like that.

IMO smile
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 03/31/12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie

Is it that hard to comprehend? Non-hunters who see or read the story of what those guys did could lump them in with all other hunters. "People" generalize very often.

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 04/01/12 03:54 AM

then instead of saying "it makes all hunter's look bad "

then why not just simple say , they are not hunters . they are law breakers . be just as easy to say .

myself ,,,, they don't make me look bad . i think coming on a hunting board or any where and saying "they make all hunters look bad " is the worst thing a hunter can do . just a IMO

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 04/01/12 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Frankie

Is it that hard to comprehend? Non-hunters who see or read the story of what those guys did could lump them in with all other hunters. "People" generalize very often.

hell they (non-hunter) don't have to , you (hunter) did the lumping .

Re: 100 Deer Thrill Kill - 04/01/12 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Bucktrot
It kinda does Frankie. People or the general public, likes to generalize and if they see more than a few bad examples of unethical hunters, they'll incorrectly assume that all hunters are like that.

IMO smile

what they did had nothing to with ethic's ,,, THEY BROKE THE LAW .
© 2024 ALDEER.COM