Aldeer.com

Shooting stick accuracy issues

Posted By: ShootemupTex

Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:32 PM

I'm sure some of yall have run into this. Had a couple of shots this week that should have been much better. Spent 4 hours at the range. I can drive tacks with a bag on the bench. Set up like I was in the field with my hunting chair and shooting stick and big difference. Biggest problem and I can see if left - right yaw. Tried a lot of different things but never could get it as good as I am comfortable with. So I thought I'd post here to see what yall think?
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:39 PM

If you’re moving left to right you’re either flinching because the expectation of recoil or you’re pulling your trigger too fast. Slow steady trigger squeeze
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:40 PM

Biggest help for me is having slight forward pressure on the stick.

Example, when using tripod sticks, I put one foot directly forward.
Then I put the swivel stud just behind the V of the stick, that allows me put forward pressure and on the gun without it slipping. Keeps it steadier for me.

Also avoid having the stick in the center of gravity.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:43 PM

When I shoot off sticks I angle them away from me and use my backpack under my right arm for support I try not to shoot from a standing position but a tripod like the pig saddle or death grip helps alot
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:45 PM

You need to know what you can do in a hunting scenario, which is drastically different than a bench or sand bags. I shoot my rifles from sand bags about once per year. The rest of the time I shoot either crouched, off my knee, off shooting sticks, etc to see how my POI is compared to a solid rest. It don’t matter what you can do on a bench if you can’t hold it together on a deer. Biggest thing is control your breathing and heart rate. Take deep slow breaths in your nose, exhale from your mouth. If your heart beat is so bad it’s moving the crosshairs then you’ve got to get it down. You’ll completely miss a deer at 100 yards in a nervous wreck, even with a rest. You’ll have to figure out ways to rest your gun the best way possible with what you have. I’ve laid prone, propped up against a tree, rested my shooting stick at an angle so it hits my knee (gives you two points of contact) or whatever it takes to get me a solid rest. Just use your head. Find a way to make it happen. If you can find a solid place for the rifle AND your shooting elbow or forearm you’ll have less issue.
Posted By: auman

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:53 PM

Good info above concerning having two points of contact to hold steady. Also, wherever you are hunting (ground or stand)go ahead a practice how to hold and visualize the shot. I like to do it as soon as I sit down and get everything adjusted. Every opportunity I’ve had has lasted 3-5 seconds on a big deer.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by auman
Good info above concerning having two points of contact to hold steady. Also, wherever you are hunting (ground or stand)go ahead a practice how to hold and visualize the shot. I like to do it as soon as I sit down and get everything adjusted. Every opportunity I’ve had has lasted 3-5 seconds on a big deer.

Yep. I have my sons “practice” taking a shot on the first deer out some times. That way we can resolve any issues before anything they want to shoot appears. I do it too. I’ll often draw my bow or pull my rifle up to replicate a shot opportunity. You’re right on big deer. You often get a few seconds. Gotta make it count.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 09:01 PM

For long range shots when my son was younger, I would have him would shoot off my tripod with a U shaped padded piece of metal attached. You can hold so much better compared to stix.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 09:03 PM

1st. Use shooting sticks like this. Much better than a single stick + lighter than most options.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1021110863?pid=832990&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Rests%2C+Bipods+&+Benches=&utm_content=832990&srsltid=AfmBOopuF9aVSTsmvFlWRtdVZk302cg7VRGIkBAZXVCFYhfnDEY96fngbDk

2nd. Use a chair that’s low to the ground or sit on the ground. I use a gobbler lounger a lot. Any seated position that has your knees raised up, is much more accurate than a normal height chair. You can lock your whole body in with a lower seat.

I’m much more accurate/comfortable off the shooting sticks above & a gobbler lounger, than I am out of a shooting house window.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 09:04 PM

crossed sticks, not a single stick, with a point on each that can dig in a bit. near about infinitely adjustable height by adjusting distance between pointed feet ...
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 09:05 PM

Buy the death grip shooting tripod rest - problem solved - take it with u to range or the hunt - best shooting rest from a tripod i seen

Your welcome 😀
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 09:14 PM

I use the old military style leather sling that you wrap around your elbow and that helps me get really steady
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Biggest thing is control your breathing and heart rate. Take deep slow breaths in your nose, exhale from your mouth. If your heart beat is so bad it’s moving the crosshairs then you’ve got to get it down. You’ll completely miss a deer at 100 yards in a nervous wreck, even with a rest. You’ll have to figure out ways to rest your gun the best way possible with what you have.

Breathing is a big deal. Killed a deer in FL and 3 deer in AL last week and a half. The 2 I took my time with and used tactical breathing I dropped with a neck shot in its tracks. Then I rushed my shot on a big fat nanny and a big bodied wide 7 point and gut shot both because my breathing wasn’t right. Basically to the right of where I thought I was putting it behind the shoulder. Breath control makes a big difference. Had to track the 2 gut shot because of my own fault not breathing properly and rushing both shots.
Posted By: CD

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 10:53 PM

I like crossed sticks or any 2 legged stick over a monopod. That’ll steady up the front of your rifle. Try to get your right side, shoulder or elbow against something solid to steady up the butt end. That might mean getting sideways in your chair or set up against a tree or something else solid. This will help with the longer shots.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 10:54 PM

Need to support the foreend and the buttstock.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 10:54 PM

Yep. I have my sons “practice” taking a shot on the first deer out some times. That way we can resolve any issues before anything they want to shoot appears. I do it too. I’ll often draw my bow or pull my rifle up to replicate a shot opportunity. You’re right on big deer. You often get a few seconds. Gotta make it count.

First thing I do when I get in a stand. Check all my potential shot angles, see what might present issues, etc. it helps…

I grew up with a pellet rifle and 40 acres to roam. Nothing beats shooting from “a rest” than practice. I’m always applying forward pressure into my rest as others mentioned. It’ll clean up the figure 8 significantly. The buck I shot Wednesday was from shooting sticks, in a turkey lounger. From the time I saw him until I shot was less than 25 seconds and that included me shifting my sticks 30 degrees to the left. I just go on autopilot once I determine I’m pulling trigger. The adrenaline happens after.
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 11:28 PM

I use predator sniper sticks. Not sure if they still make them but I really like them.
Posted By: Young20

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/24/23 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28

First thing I do when I get in a stand. Check all my potential shot angles, see what might present issues, etc. it helps…

I grew up with a pellet rifle and 40 acres to roam. Nothing beats shooting from “a rest” than practice. I’m always applying forward pressure into my rest as others mentioned. It’ll clean up the figure 8 significantly. The buck I shot Wednesday was from shooting sticks, in a turkey lounger. From the time I saw him until I shot was less than 25 seconds and that included me shifting my sticks 30 degrees to the left. I just go on autopilot once I determine I’m pulling trigger. The adrenaline happens after.

There are two key points here, pellet rifles and practice! I used to be really into pellet rifles and shot thousands of times at various targets with very inexpensive ammo.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 01:36 AM

🧐
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
I use the old military style leather sling that you wrap around your elbow and that helps me get really steady

This. I have never used any sticks or crap just whatever was available whether it was a bar on a treestand or a tree in the woods. You have to shoot a lot to where shooting is a natural function. Not just sighting in before the season.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 01:49 AM

Are propping the barrel on the sticks or the stock ?
Sitting in a chair shooting off sticks is far different that a table and rest shooting
You’re only using one point of contact whereas with a rest there is two points of contact
Breathing, heartbeat and position will all factor in your accuracy
Posted By: cuztoshaw

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 02:11 AM

For a shooting house scenario, I rest the forearm on the window and the shooting stick is just forward of the recoil pad. Able to easily raise/lower point of aim. This is with the Primos bipod.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 04:34 AM

Don't do this unless short range shots or prone use a rest or you will be the next one asking for a tracking dog

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter

Don't do this unless short range shots or prone use a rest or you will be the next one asking for a tracking dog

My dad taught me this technique when I was young. Haven't used it in many years but it worked great when hunting skwerls as a teenager.
Posted By: globe

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 11:33 AM

I do a lot of standing (watching clearcuts) I bought a nice tripod shooting stick last year. I just can’t get the feel of standing and getting a solid rest. I do much better crouching and propping on my knee or propping on a stump. I shot one at 250 this year crouched down propping on my knee. I think standing straight up makes you (or me rather) wobble.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 02:21 PM

Using something to “support” your rifle that can’t even support itself is your first mistake.

Ditch the shooting “sticks” and get a Tripod. Problem solved. .

I have a lightweight tripod I carry for shots that might occur “on the way” to the shooting house across a large ag field. Killed one at 250 yards while standing shooting from the tripod. Seated and shooting from the tripod is almost as steady as a bench and bags..

Something like this- https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bog-h...RquSqgwMVgbZaBR0fEAYwEAQYBCABEgJGtfD_BwE

The death grip bog pods are much to heavy for my liking.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 10:37 PM

Go to the range and shoot. There are no substitutes. And not off bags. Shooting freehand standing will make you a better shot weather you hunt that way or not.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/25/23 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by hawndog
Go to the range and shoot. There are no substitutes. And not off bags. Shooting freehand standing will make you a better shot weather you hunt that way or not.

I hate shooting ranges. Ive been to a few and I'd rather stay away frim the idiots. My advice is go squirrel hunting and only take head shots and dont use a rest. Dont let moving or running ones get away. Shoot them in the head. If you can go out and get 10+ squirrels multiple times then you are ready to start hitting deer.

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Semo

I hate shooting ranges. Ive been to a few and I'd rather stay away frim the idiots. My advice is go squirrel hunting and only take head shots and dont use a rest. Dont let moving or running ones get away. Shoot them in the head. If you can go out and get 10+ squirrels multiple times then you are ready to start hitting deer.

Great advice. That type of hunting really improved my shooting skills as a teen.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Semo

Great advice. That type of hunting really improved my shooting skills as a teen.

Shoot at your place of choice. I never said go to public range.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter

Maybe for you but I've killed more than most and never had an issue
Posted By: ShootemupTex

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
Are propping the barrel on the sticks or the stock ?
Sitting in a chair shooting off sticks is far different that a table and rest shooting
You’re only using one point of contact whereas with a rest there is two points of contact
Breathing, heartbeat and position will all factor in your accuracy

I was propping on the barrel, but now realize that was dumb and some of the problem, but not all. A competitive shooter was shooting next to me at the range Sunday and he helped me figure that one out. That brought my grouping in an inch or two at 100 yards for sure. I've been shooting rifles and pellet guns since I was 8 so it's not an issue of not understanding the fundamentals. I can blow out the bull's eyes with my grouping on a bench rest. I've eliminated all the variables except the monopole. I thought it was just shakiness in the field from adrenaline, but it's really an equipment issue. I spent a lot of time at the range using my hunting chair and monopole like I would in the field, I struggled to hold it on the target with the monopole with no real anxiety and calm. I could control the elevation enough to be passable, but the yaw (left-to-right) would jump around way too much, which explains my last two bad shots. A brisket shot that was too far right and spine shot too far left right above the guts.

Ordered a tri-pod that should be here. Interested to see the difference. I think practicing holding on the next deer for a bit whether I shoot or not is a great idea for me. I got three in the freezer already, so it runs off before I squeeze, I won't be too upset.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 09:26 PM

Death grip tripod awesome - google it
Posted By: hallb

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/26/23 10:31 PM

Barrel vs stock makes a huge difference!
Posted By: Beulahboy

Re: Shooting stick accuracy issues - 12/27/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
Barrel vs stock makes a huge difference!

EVERY TIME!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM