Aldeer.com

Scents

Posted By: Gatorfn

Scents - 12/18/23 07:25 AM

Has anyone has luck using scents as a lure? I have never had any success luring bucks in with any scents. I do belive in cover scents just not lure scents. Whats your thoughts.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 11:10 AM

Over the years I have tried a few different things. I have used the hind leg from a rutting buck just laying in a plot. Never killed one this way, but every deer that came out walked over and checked it out.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jacannon
Over the years I have tried a few different things. I have used the hind leg from a rutting buck just laying in a plot. Never killed one this way, but every deer that came out walked over and checked it out.

If you saw a dead man’s foot in a field, wouldn’t you go check it out too?
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 07:41 PM

Just pee in the same spot that you can see from you're stand
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
Originally Posted by jacannon

If you saw a dead man’s foot in a field, wouldn’t you go check it out too?

😂
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gatorfn
Has anyone has luck using scents as a lure? I have never had any success luring bucks in with any scents. I do belive in cover scents just not lure scents. Whats your thoughts.

Don’t waste your money. Kinda hard to hunt the wind AND use scent as a lure…
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 09:30 PM

I don’t use scents here in the south. Most are collected from northern deer and it absolutely freaks out these southern deer.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by Gatorfn

Don’t waste your money. Kinda hard to hunt the wind AND use scent as a lure…

I have always wondered how to do this as well
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 10:19 PM

Tried letting my deerhounds smell some of that stuff. They hated it. That was enough for me
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Scents - 12/18/23 10:26 PM

No luck with them here, but in GA and KS…yes….just like grunting, wheezing, and rattling.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 12:41 AM

The best scent/lure that I ever used was made by the Keeper Bait company. The lure was called Deer Formula. This is the same company that made the fishing lure called Fish Formula back in the late 80's. Deer Formula was made from tarsal glands that the company acquired from processors who they bought them from. It was the same consistency as Karo Syrup and even looked like Karo Syrup. Smelled just like a real deer also. I killed many deer using this as I walked in with a drag and then put some on trees near me. The problem was getting the tarsal glands and they finally closed up a few years later. Ben Rogers Lee was a proponent of this lure and it worked.

I sure wish it was available today.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 01:49 AM

Is there any brand out there that works in Ala?
I have used code blue, but not with great results.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 03:05 AM

Nothing store bought. If you have a friend that kills a buck and grab the glands off of it that would be one thing. I don’t use them here. You can do far more harm than good in my opinion.
Posted By: ShootemupTex

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 03:59 AM

No real experience to report, but there is a company called Native Scents here in Bama. Stuff comes fresh shipped on ice packs.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 04:24 PM

Do they have a web site
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 06:25 PM

I've has some luck with Harmon's Trilple Heat.
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Scents - 12/19/23 06:25 PM

The only thing I use is Evercalm by Conquest, I use the deosorant stick on my boots, then I also use the Stink Stick to hang at the base of my tree.
Posted By: Tidefan101

Re: Scents - 12/27/23 05:05 PM

I drug some code blue past my stand and hung it in a tree. 45 mins later an 8 point came in with his nose down trailing it. This was in south Alabama. It's worked for me.
Posted By: James

Re: Scents - 12/27/23 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tidefan101
I drug some code blue past my stand and hung it in a tree. 45 mins later an 8 point came in with his nose down trailing it. This was in south Alabama. It's worked for me.

Funny story. Was hunt hunting one of my Favorite plots (in Wilcox County) one evening, and about 20 mins before dark, a nice 7 point came from the back of field with nose down, and he bull dogged is arse half way up the field (about 100 yards field was 200) ol boy would never slow enough to get a shot, he went by some does that had been feeding and stopped for a sec, that turnt and ran back the other way lol. Anyways, talked with my buddy that evening and he just laughed, he said man that's my fault, i sprayed some half way down the field for dad the other day 🤦🏿‍♂️🤣 Oh worked out better though, cause me and my youngest son doubled in that field a week later (let him shoot the 7)
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Scents - 12/27/23 05:26 PM

Mock scrapes and tarsal glands of deer from local processors.
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: Scents - 12/27/23 05:32 PM

I had a friend who left some Tink’s 69 in his hunting clothes. Apparently, he got his hunting clothes wet and stuck them in the dryer. The lid came off of the scent. Untold numbers of tom cats were spotted by the dryer vent.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Scents - 12/27/23 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I don’t use scents here in the south. Most are collected from northern deer and it absolutely freaks out these southern deer.

I don't be blame them those big Yankee women freak me out too
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Scents - 12/28/23 12:04 AM

Harmons triple heat has worked for me in the past..
Posted By: DudeWithaBow

Re: Scents - 12/28/23 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ridgehunter36
The only thing I use is Evercalm by Conquest, I use the deosorant stick on my boots, then I also use the Stink Stick to hang at the base of my tree.

I’ve had some luck with evercalm as well but not as an attractant. We use it as a cover scent
Posted By: James

Re: Scents - 12/28/23 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154
Harmons triple heat has worked for me in the past..
© 2024 ALDEER.COM