Aldeer.com

Using a tiller.

Posted By: jaredhunts

Using a tiller. - 11/19/23 09:56 PM

I for the longest time thought the best tool for plots was a disc. I’ve used a tiller for over six years now and won’t go back to a disc. Someone was asking on here about covering up seed with a tiller. Well, I did half my plots that way this year and so far so good. Don’t sink the tiller and just lightly till the ground. I’m sitting on a field that was drug last Tuesday. The turkeys are enjoying them selves. My tilled over plots are a day older than this one and are looking really good. So, yes you can use a tiller to cover seed.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/19/23 10:12 PM

Dang sure can. Done it many times. Couple years ago I had some small potatoes from the garden that sprouted and I took them and threw them back out in the garden and passed the tiller over them and buried them. Everyone of them came up and made some potatoes.
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/21/23 06:47 PM

Look at the Firminator RT.

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/22/23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by therealhojo

I did but that thing looks sloooooooooow.
Posted By: Wapiti55

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/22/23 02:30 AM

180 degrees opposite here. Quit using the tiller to use a disc and drag. Our results are much better.

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/22/23 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts

How is it any slower than your tiller--- It's literally a tiller with a seeder mounded to it. You can remover the seeder and use both separately.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/22/23 09:39 PM

My fields would look better if the turkeys would stay off them.

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/22/23 11:23 PM

How is it any slower than your tiller--- It's literally a tiller with a seeder mounded to it. You can remover the seeder and use both separately.

The cultipacker doesn’t cover the large seed like it’s said to do. I tilled the ground, spread seed/fertillizer and then lightly tilled the large seed in. That’s the trouble with larger seeds, they need to be covered for best results. The cultipacker don’t do that. A drag does ok but discing or tilling the seeds into the grounds is better. If the seeder was in front of the tiller, it would be better. I can move close to 5 mph with my tiller. Now, if a chisel plow was in between the seeder and cultipacker, that would be a better design. My first pass with a tiller is slower than the later.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/23/23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
My fields would look better if the turkeys would stay off them.

Same

Re: Using a tiller. - 11/23/23 04:18 AM

The cultipacker doesn’t cover the large seed like it’s said to do. I tilled the ground, spread seed/fertillizer and then lightly tilled the large seed in. That’s the trouble with larger seeds, they need to be covered for best results. The cultipacker don’t do that. A drag does ok but discing or tilling the seeds into the grounds is better. If the seeder was in front of the tiller, it would be better. I can move close to 5 mph with my tiller. Now, if a chisel plow was in between the seeder and cultipacker, that would be a better design. My first pass with a tiller is slower than the later.

I’ve planted a bunch of acres with mine and never had an issue or complaint with germination.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM