Aldeer.com

One man’s opinion

Posted By: robinhedd

One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 08:49 PM

Crossbows have ruined archery season in AL, this Youth Season has got everyone with a child out shooting deer themselves (not the kids hunting like it’s supposed to be). Opening the season early in Zone D has allowed every poaching redneck the opportunity to kill anything they want, and claim it was killed in Bankhead.

Crossbows should only be allowed during rifle season, not archery season.
You might as well not own a Muzzleloader if you live in AL, the “special season “ is M-F, when working men have to work.
Just my opinions, Robinhedd
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 08:52 PM

Are you sure?
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 08:52 PM

Trolling? smile
Posted By: CNC

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 09:22 PM

There have been roughly 14,000 deer reported to Game Check up to this point.......For the last few seasons we've ended up with right around 190,000 being reported by Feb 10......Just sayin......
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 09:39 PM

You know what they say about opinions????

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 09:45 PM

The corn 🌽 license push certainly hasn’t helped anything either.
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 09:48 PM

Poachers and Winston county go together like hot buttered biscuits and molasses
Posted By: Semo

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 09:58 PM

I agree 100%. Lots of wounded deer too because everybody thinks they have a rifle in their hands. I say fine for those who need them for some physical issue. But otherwise I dont like them either. It has had about the same effect as duck dynasty had for waterfowl. Every goober bowhunts now.

I bought a cheap one because my bow got screwed up in the middle of the season. Pretty easy to use. It has killed 7 deer the last 2 years. My bow is fixed now, so I'm going back to that. Crossbow just doesnt feel right.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 10:06 PM

Sheesh, all this crossbow hate. I'd love to see photos of the Osage selfbows you guys built to hunt with. Ah to be young again.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 10:08 PM

I do wish that muzzleloader season was a bit different, however it doesn’t stop me from using it after gun season. Just my choice if I want to or not
Posted By: RocN151

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 10:21 PM

I’ve always hunted ML staring when I grew up in OK n it extended the season. I’m looking forward to it tomorrow.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 10:31 PM

^^^
Me too

Aint got many days dry - on my first hunt this year at bow lease - with my cross bow 😀

Never shot with it last year - nor my muzzleloader

Already seen 10 doe n young 8 point this evening - feels great to b out with it😀
Posted By: 300gr

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:15 PM

Yeah should only use those primitive 1500.00 compounds with fiberglass limbs,carbon arras with perfect tolerances, release, sights, etc. 80 percent letoff .Yeah thats real primitive.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 300gr
Yeah should only use those primitive 1500.00 compounds with fiberglass limbs,carbon arras with perfect tolerances, release, sights, etc. 80 percent letoff .Yeah thats real primitive.

I guess you use a flintlock MZ with round ball and patch?
Nope, bet my bankroll your using a modern inline with a scope & sabots! Apparently a crossbow man also!

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter
Poachers and Winston county go together like hot buttered biscuits and molasses

Exactly! I live in Lawrence County, poaching runs deep here. A lot of people don’t understand what a problem it really is!
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:44 PM

Like it or not crossbows increased harvest in some states, when they became legal, to levels several times over what regular archery hunters were taking. The point of archery season was to allow a limited harvest opportunity. It’s not so limited with 100+ yard crossbows and scoped sights. I don’t begrudge folks who are hunting with them, but I don’t agree that it should be included in the regular archery season. Just my .2 cents. And for the folks arguing over what actually constitutes archery equipment, there is no crossbow that’s on the same level as any vertical bow that has to be drawn and aimed. Period. They’re not the same. I don’t think it’s worth bickering over until it affects deer populations in a negative way. The combo of cell cams, bait and lengthened opportunities is one that gives me heartburn though.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by robinhedd
Originally Posted by 300gr

I guess you use a flintlock MZ with round ball and patch?
Nope, bet my bankroll your using a modern inline with a scope & sabots! Apparently a crossbow man also!

Got a crossbow, a recurve crossbow, dont use it. Its not capable of any more distance than a compound bow. Dont have a muzzleloader.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/12/23 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Like it or not crossbows increased harvest in some states, when they became legal, to levels several times over what regular archery hunters were taking. The point of archery season was to allow a limited harvest opportunity. It’s not so limited with 100+ yard crossbows and scoped sights. I don’t begrudge folks who are hunting with them, but I don’t agree that it should be included in the regular archery season. Just my .2 cents. And for the folks arguing over what actually constitutes archery equipment, there is no crossbow that’s on the same level as any vertical bow that has to be drawn and aimed. Period. They’re not the same. I don’t think it’s worth bickering over until it affects deer populations in a negative way. The combo of cell cams, bait and lengthened opportunities is one that gives me heartburn though.

The recurve limbed Excalibur crossbows, aren't much faster than a compound. That's not what I have, but they are popular.

I know several guys my age that are using crossbows. We all cut our teeth on the first gen of good compounds to come out. Just after the old original Bear compound crap bow. We're all 50+ now and the crossbows have helped us get back into the game, in a more efficient way. I'd bet there are less deer hit and not recovered with a compound, than a crossbow. I'm sure more are shot, but I'd be a higher % is recovered. Anyone who takes a shot in the woods with a crossbow, over 40 yards, is taking a risk, IMO. I wouldn't shoot at a deer in a plot much over 40. I practice at 60, but I also practiced at 60 with my compound. It just makes you more confident at normal hunting distances. I hunted with 3 other guys in MO last week. We all filled our tags. Three guys using crossbows, one with a compound. Longest shot any of us made was 35 yards and that was the guy with the compound.
Posted By: kyles

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 12:29 AM

Oh boy i knew this thread and the you cant shoot that deer because i dont think its big enough thread was due. Pray tell how us people that cant pull a regular bow anymore is affecting your hunting. Also work your butt off and buy you some land like some of us have done then you get to make the rules! If you shoot one out of a shooter house over a green field or pile of corn is that really hunting ? Do you have trail cameras out is that really fair ? Dont worry from what I have seen out of youth i have taken in 20 more years hunting participation will be down so much Alfa will make them have a year long season. Sorry for the rant but division in the ranks is real good for the hunting community

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 12:37 AM

I just like to hunt deer with whatever is legal!! I’m not against people hunting with crossbows but I’m not a fan of them. They are heavy, awkward to carry, loud, a PIA to cock and get ready to shoot and most budget crossbows are no more accurate then a vertical bow!! I have a couple buddies that shoot them and we always have to wait for them to go through the whole process of getting ready to make a shot when we’re out practicing!! However they don’t miss when shooting deer!!
I also have 2 inline muzzleloaders but last year I bought a .35 Whelen because it’s considered a primitive weapon here. I haven’t hunted the primitive season here with it yet but I’m sure I will one day.
I tend to stay in my lane and not concern myself with what others do as long as it’s legal.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 12:52 AM

I just got back from hunting in Illinois with a crossbow. For some reason I didn’t kill a buck since the crossbow all but guarantees a kill.
Posted By: MC21

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:03 AM

there are some crossbows that shoot slower and are less accurate than some compound bows. How exactly do you justify banning a guy from using a $300 crossbow but allow a guy to shoot a $1200 Matthews V3X with an additional $500 of equipment on it? Once we go down this route do we limit how fast a compound can shoot or what attachments you can have on a bow?
Posted By: hallb

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:05 AM

It is funny on this site so many talk about less govt interference but when it comes to deer regulation they’d be happy if the state seized hunting rights on someone else’s property if it meant they got a chance for a bigger buck!

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by LIOJeff
I just got back from hunting in Illinois with a crossbow. For some reason I didn’t kill a buck since the crossbow all but guarantees a kill.

Never said a crossbow guarantees a kill, but I guarantee it means too many people out running around the woods claiming to be bow hunters! No skill to even blood 🩸 trail a deer if they do shoot one. .

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
It is funny on this site so many talk about less govt interference but when it comes to deer regulation they’d be happy if the state seized hunting rights on someone else’s property if it meant they got a chance for a bigger buck!

Hunting turns grown men into toddlers. Grown men get extremely jealous over a deer and get upset when they can't/don't kill one.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:11 AM

Never said a crossbow guarantees a kill, but I guarantee it means too many people out running around the woods claiming to be bow hunters! No skill to even blood 🩸 trail a deer if they do shoot one. .

Like it or not a crossbow is a bow.
Posted By: jacobellis67

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:15 AM

MBrock "The point of archery season was to allow a limited harvest opportunity. "

The bag limit for archery is 123 deer per season (down from 240) and depredation permits are still being issued to require deer to be killed and left laying to rot.

It ain't 1940 any more, and deer season ain't about conservation any more.

Gun control ain't conservation. It's just gun control.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:15 AM

I guess you are right about government interference. But I don’t want government interference or nobody elses

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:25 AM

I like Marsh - i like to hunt with whats legal. I way older and dont want to climb a tree w a freaking bow now among many other logical reasons i don't use compound any more. More times than not i am on the ground now - i use to always hear that harder!!

It depends on what u want to shoot and how u manage. I never shot my bow r muzzleloader last year. Many-many-many/most years i never shoot my muzzleloader. If u wait on a mature - it gone b hard how ever u do it. I passed good deer w bow last year!! And i already took my cams down n my best spots to promote as least spook or pressure as possible

Lot of people judge heck our of other hunters. I never knew people were this way - almost comical. I thought hunters were all happy - seriously - what a blessing to be able to go! Then i got on aldeer - bunch a pissed off - jusgemental - hypocrite goobers 🤣🤣 I hunt for me and do so legally - all you haters suck it or i.e - get up on some nuts!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:29 AM

How do you gain skill in blood trailing? By practicing trailing deer, right??
Posted By: Buckshot77

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:30 AM

There are plenty of folks running around the woods with vertical bows that shouldn't be also.

I never understood why hunting with a piece of equipment that's easier to shoot accurately was a bad thing. Seems like it may be more ethical to me. I have to guess the same things were said when compound bows came out or when everyone started scoping their rifles. Both are just mainstream now.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:31 AM

robinhedd, do you hunt from a tree stand? Is that cheating? I killed a 10 point last week in MO, with my crossbow, at 30 yards while sitting on the ground. Not in a pop up blind, just sitting in a Millennium tree seat. Just me and him and air between us. By your logic, then if you can't kill one from the ground, you shouldn't hunt.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:41 AM

Another thing i noticed i never commented on - seems childish. I will get right to it - if u kill the turkey r deer w a gun - sling shot - spear or bow - i could give a crap. I aint 6 years old so i aint gone go - o wow - he killed it w a certain type bow 🤣🤣🤣

Hate to bust your bubble - just kill the mature - nobody - r atleast i ain't impressed on how u do it - just put him down

We just rednecks - nobody special here and your shucks still stinks even if u kill a goodun w a recurve. I use to tag out turkeys n incredibly tuff public - guess what - nobody cares are is impressed - nobody! We supposed to out smart em if we done it for 40 years
Grow up - your crap still stinks and nobody and i mean nobody is impressed how U do it! At least real mean are not - we aint in-grade school anymore
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:50 AM

I’m not against you crossbow folks, so don’t take it that way. I just question whether the added mortality will negatively impact populations over time. It adds a whole lot more folks to the woods early that used to not be out there.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Sheesh, all this crossbow hate. I'd love to see photos of the Osage selfbows you guys built to hunt with. Ah to be young again.

🤣😂

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:04 AM

Matt I apologize for my rant but when you get older and have a few health issues it’s like somebody throwing salt in the wound about a crossbow. Back when they first came out my hunting buddy bought one and ask me what I thought. I told him they would be alright for a woman or a kid so I been guilty. Some of the farmers in my area are killing more than the legal harvest. Not all but some. That being said the other farmers that don’t shoot them ask us to take more this winter because they are destroying a lot of their crops and I see their point because that’s how they make their living

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:06 AM

I’m not against you crossbow folks, so don’t take it that way. I just question whether the added mortality will negatively impact populations over time. It adds a whole lot more folks to the woods early that used to not be out there.

Thats a fair point.
Posted By: Boathand

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:29 AM

All truth. I also believe that in portions of this state we are already seeing a negative effect on deer populations from our current regulations.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
I just like to hunt deer with whatever is legal!! I’m not against people hunting with crossbows but I’m not a fan of them. They are heavy, awkward to carry, loud, a PIA to cock and get ready to shoot and most budget crossbows are no more accurate then a vertical bow!! I have a couple buddies that shoot them and we always have to wait for them to go through the whole process of getting ready to make a shot when we’re out practicing!! However they don’t miss when shooting deer!!
I also have 2 inline muzzleloaders but last year I bought a .35 Whelen because it’s considered a primitive weapon here. I haven’t hunted the primitive season here with it yet but I’m sure I will one day.
I tend to stay in my lane and not concern myself with what others do as long as it’s legal.

you didnt go wrong buying the 35 whelen for what ever reason . its grown to be my favorite round

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by MC21

MC21, I never said a crossbow is not a bow. I said they shouldn’t be allowed in archery season, if they’re allowed it should be in the general rifle season.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:06 AM

Thats a fair point.

There have been 5,700 bucks reported right now .....Last year there were 103,000 total reported for the season …..Crossbows are not making any significant difference.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:08 AM

robinhedd, do you hunt from a tree stand? Is that cheating? I killed a 10 point last week in MO, with my crossbow, at 30 yards while sitting on the ground. Not in a pop up blind, just sitting in a Millennium tree seat. Just me and him and air between us. By your logic, then if you can't kill one from the ground, you shouldn't hunt.

Fur, no idea where you came up with this BS comment? Maybe you’re drinking something this evening?

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:21 AM

No he is giving you his opinion like you did yours and I did mine
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:21 AM

I’m not taking criticism from a guy that can’t even spell his last name right.

Are you a little mad that the sheriff of Nottingham isn’t letting you kill all the king’s deer?
Posted By: hawndog

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:26 AM

Easy fix. Do away with all the segments of deer season. One season, kill them however you like.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by hawndog
Easy fix. Do away with all the segments of deer season. One season mill them however you like

This is my vote. Im also for tags. If im gona kill one deer, its nobodys business how i do it. Why does it matter how i make an animal quit breathing? Game laws are for criminals

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:51 AM

MC21, I never said a crossbow is not a bow. I said they shouldn’t be allowed in archery season, if they’re allowed it should be in the general rifle season.

But how can you justify banning archery equipment during archery season?

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

Thats a fair point.

There have been 5,700 bucks reported right now .....Last year there were 103,000 total reported for the season …..Crossbows are not making any significant difference.

But haven't crossbows been legal in Alabama since before game check was a thing?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:58 AM

The x-bow isn’t the magic wand folks think it is. The corn pile the early season buck is standing over on the other hand. . .

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 04:29 AM

But haven't crossbows been legal in Alabama since before game check was a thing?

What I’m saying is that we only kill about 5% of the total during the whole bow season so we’re not really killing a significant amount during this time to begin with…..Allowing crossbows MIGHT have increased our harvest totals by 1 or 2% at best……In comparison, baiting increased the harvest total by 35-40%.......Depending on which county you look at, the Feb extension accounted for 10-20% of the total harvest last year......Crossbows are a non-issue.

Posted By: burbank

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 04:54 AM

We have a club with 10 members and only one bow hunts. I personally don’t feel that hunter participation drastically jumped when x bows became legal.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 05:00 AM

Matt thumbup
Posted By: ShaftOne

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 05:18 AM

Cross Guns and Turkey YouTubers have a lot in common. Be a lot less people in the woods without either of them.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShaftOne
Cross Guns and Turkey YouTubers have a lot in common. Be a lot less people in the woods without either of them.

😂 😂 tell em brotha! I’m with you!

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:38 PM

From these replies I am assuming some of you would never allow a man to hunt on your place. I got a man with me today that didn’t have the luxury of growing up hunting like I did. If he kills a spike and is happy I will be happy
Posted By: 3toe

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:44 PM

Blood trailing is so 20th century. You call a dog in now, why waste time blood trailing? Reminds me of a post I saw on social media where the hunter called in a dog to find his deer. Dog found it 40 yds from the shot site. Hmmm.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kyles
If he kills a spike and is happy I will be happy

This is the way!!

I never thought deer would be this difficult!

Damn just damn , let a man or especially a kid be happy with what he kills, and try joining him in the celebration.

I guarantee you will have a better time than being butthurt worrying about what others are doing and killing.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe

Blood trailing is so 20th century. You call a dog in now, why waste time blood trailing? Reminds me of a post I saw on social media where the hunter called in a dog to find his deer. Dog found it 40 yds from the shot site. Hmmm.

Dogs are so yesterday!! Today we use Hi Tech thermal drones with eleventy million zoom power!! Y’all need to move into present day deer recovery and out of the past!!
Posted By: BCLC

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards

This is the way!!

Damn just damn , let a man or especially a kid be happy with what he kills, and try joining him in the celebration.

I guarantee you will have a better time than being butthurt worrying about what others are doing and killing.

Amen
Posted By: sj22

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards

This is the way!!

Absolutely

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 03:24 PM

Y’all keep on about them dogs you going to make cnc mad. I am already mad my throw and grow field is brown but we ain’t had a rain since September that was over a trace
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/13/23 10:21 PM

It’s a “opinion” post. Everyone has one and they are all generally different. I hunt with a crossbow. Hunted with a compound for years. I believe making crossbows legal in Archery season did add hunters to the woods. I thought that was what we wanted with the declining hunter numbers we were seeing. No doubt a crossbow requires less skill to become lethal with then a bow. The main advantage of the crossbow is the lack of movement needed to be successful compared to a compound bow hunter. Not having to draw a bow is a HUGE advantage of the crossbow compared to a compound.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 12:33 AM

From these replies I am assuming some of you would never allow a man to hunt on your place. I got a man with me today that didn’t have the luxury of growing up hunting like I did. If he kills a spike and is happy I will be happy

I’d be happy with killing a spike also, I’m not a trophy hunter, and never will be. I’ve always been for killing whatever is legal, and hunting with any weapon that’s legal!

I think some people really missed the point of my post, I’m not against crossbow hunting, I just think it should have never been legalized in the archery season! Some may see it differently, that’s their opinion!
Robinhedd
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 12:52 AM

Everybody knows if you want a sure kill you gotta have a Creed.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 01:31 AM

Fur, no idea where you came up with this BS comment? Maybe you’re drinking something this evening?

Nope, no drinking here. Just countering BS with BS.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 02:22 AM

I agree with you Matt. I’m ok with crossbows for disabled folks and kids to a certain age.
Posted By: SEWoodsWhitetail

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 02:56 AM

I saw a clip from a hunting podcast where Don Higgins (pretty sure it was him) said "With the exception of those who are disabled etc, the same mentality that has men competing in women's sports is the same mentality that has caused the rise of crossbow hunting."

That's not an exact quote, but it was pretty close. Even though I can't stand the guy due to his marketing and selling of invasive plants despite the known risks and harm, I thought this was hilarious. I'm sure this will go over well with all the crossbow gang lol.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by SEWoodsWhitetail
I saw a clip from a hunting podcast where Don Higgins (pretty sure it was him) said "With the exception of those who are disabled etc, the same mentality that has men competing in women's sports is the same mentality that has caused the rise of crossbow hunting."

That's not an exact quote, but it was pretty close. Even though I can't stand the guy due to his marketing and selling of invasive plants despite the known risks and harm, I thought this was hilarious. I'm sure this will go over well with all the crossbow gang lol.

I couldn’t care less what Mr invasive grass whoever thinks about a cross bow. If it’s legal and it brings them joy, get after it.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:22 AM

Nope, no drinking here. Just countering BS with BS.

Then it’s your own made up BS, I never said anything about a tree stand. Think you dreamed that up yourself!
Posted By: Semo

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bulls eye
It’s a “opinion” post. Everyone has one and they are all generally different. I hunt with a crossbow. Hunted with a compound for years. I believe making crossbows legal in Archery season did add hunters to the woods. I thought that was what we wanted with the declining hunter numbers we were seeing. No doubt a crossbow requires less skill to become lethal with then a bow. The main advantage of the crossbow is the lack of movement needed to be successful compared to a compound bow hunter. Not having to draw a bow is a HUGE advantage of the crossbow compared to a compound.

great post
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:26 AM

I’ve heard all sorts of stupid things on this site but this is by far the stupidest. IDGAF what anyone uses if they’re legal but comparing legal/ethical hunters to mentally ill trans people is by far the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Even making it more stupid and idiotic is you posting it as a sponsor. Who the heck would want your services when you ostracize a group of people and compare them to trans people because of what they hunt with? Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:45 AM

If that’s the case let’s go ahead and ban modern compound bows. Technology is advancing so much with compound bows. There are a few members on here that kill deer with a recurve, let’s just go ahead and completely level the playing field and see who really wants to hunt.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 03:55 AM

Y’all ever thought the reason you are seeing more people on Public land is because of other factors besides crossbows.

1. Leases are becoming harder and harder to find and afford.

2. Most of the “public land” the state has added in the past few years have turned into SOAs. With the exception of Red Hills WMA.

3. There is just less land available than there was 10 years ago. Small towns are expanding. What used to be cow pastures and Cotton fields just outside of town where I live has turned into subdivisions, churches, shopping centers, apartment complexes, etc.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 06:17 AM

Y’all ever thought the reason you are seeing more people on Public land is because of other factors besides crossbows.

1. Leases are becoming harder and harder to find and afford.

2. Most of the “public land” the state has added in the past few years have turned into SOAs. With the exception of Red Hills WMA.

3. There is just less land available than there was 10 years ago. Small towns are expanding. What used to be cow pastures and Cotton fields just outside of town where I live has turned into subdivisions, churches, shopping centers, apartment complexes, etc.

That’s about where I’m at with it. I don’t understand increasing opportunity to a naturally decreasing and limited resource. It’s not about opportunity it’s about money. It’ll be Europe 2.0 before we know it.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 09:46 AM

Ya'll are bitching about something that was made legal in 2004, 19 hunting seasons ago. Go hunting and quit worrying about what other folks do...legally.
Posted By: Chiller

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 11:48 AM

Gone are the days when deer hunting was fun. At least for some it seems
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 06:15 PM

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzlxD64LVRR/?igshid=YjVjNjZkNmFjNg==

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 06:21 PM

I’ve heard all sorts of stupid things on this site but this is by far the stupidest. IDGAF what anyone uses if they’re legal but comparing legal/ethical hunters to mentally ill trans people is by far the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Even making it more stupid and idiotic is you posting it as a sponsor. Who the heck would want your services when you ostracize a group of people and compare them to trans people because of what they hunt with? Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Pretty amazing isn't it...I thought the exact same thing.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 08:08 PM

oh look... a bunch of doe blasters complaining about another guy complaining about what equipment to use to kill some does and spikes......

What about a spear?..... How many does can y'all get with one of those? And does it only count if you are wearing your favorite Sitka Panties or is it the Kuiu pantyhose?

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
oh look... a bunch of doe blasters complaining about another guy complaining about what equipment to use to kill some does and spikes......

What about a spear?..... How many does can y'all get with one of those? And does it only count if you are wearing your favorite Sitka Panties or is it the Kuiu pantyhose?

rofl
Posted By: BC

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/14/23 08:40 PM

I was sitting up on my limb with my camo loin cloth on and ready to bash some unsuspecting deer with my rock and I thought..... man those compound bow hunters are some real dick heads using their fancy 80% letoff cams and their fancy mechanical broadheads fiber optic sights and digital rangefinders. That fancy stuff ought to be outlawed..... it's just cheating.

They should at least learn to shoot those death machines because when bow season cranks up I see 30-50 threads a day on social media looking for dogs to track gut shot deer.

Dang bowhunters.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 12:31 PM

My dog bayed one that had its back leg shot off and I actually hit it between the eyes with a lime stone rock. Old boy that made the shot called me bolder after that

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 12:35 PM

It was right above the first joint of the leg I am talking 8 inches above the foot . Milo was trying to drag it backwards was ruining the hind quarter. The deer was shot with a spit fire broad head and all it had done was break the leg bone off
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 04:58 PM

It’s about money and that’s all. The more the state can separate from you, the better.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 07:27 PM

I didn't say it, I just said I thought it was funny. I wasn't taking one side or the other, I was just giving input on the discussion.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 07:35 PM

Pretty amazing isn't it...I thought the exact same thing.

LIke I said, I don't like the guy... just adding to the discussion. I don't have some hatred for crossbow hunters so don't get mad at me, get mad at Higgins or whoever it was that said it. He likely said it to do exactly what it did... drum up controversy and get his videos/podcast more views. Clickbait

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 07:39 PM

If that’s the case let’s go ahead and ban modern compound bows. Technology is advancing so much with compound bows. There are a few members on here that kill deer with a recurve, let’s just go ahead and completely level the playing field and see who really wants to hunt.

The whole thing is kinda ironic. The guy who is unethical in how he manages for deer is getting mad at other people for what he thinks is unethical in hunting deer and calling them out on his podcast.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 09:51 PM

I for one did not take it you were endorsing him
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 11:23 PM

I got no problem with young, old, or “handicapped” using them. Guys in their 20’s and 30’s (or any capable age/health of shooing a bow) sitting in a shooting house and killing deer with a crossbow has absolutely nothing to do with archery hunting in my opinion. It’s legal, so you won’t hear me say a word unless someone starts a discussion on it. I’ll give my opinion and that’s it. I’m not arguing about it….

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/15/23 11:27 PM

I definitely wasn't endorsing him... like I said, I don't like the guy. Kinda like when a comedian makes a joke specifically because it will offend a certain group of people. You don't necessarily have to agree for it to be funny... it's just funny because you know they said it to offend a certain group and that it will.

First deer I ever shot with a bow was with a crossbow. Did I ever find it? No, so I can't say I've killed any with a crossbow.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 12:43 AM

You were the one putting his garbage over here calling hunters trannys helping to spread his click baits. Congrats.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 02:23 AM

Heck i was having this conversation in a way earlier this week. It’s really interesting how much things have changed in the last 40-50 years. All there was back in the 80s were Baker stands and acorn flats and an occasional food plot. Now shooting houses over manicured food plots. A lot of things have changed and the reason we were talking was wondering why kids don’t really go hunt much like they did back then. Then again it’s not just hunting but it seems across the board things have really changed.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 02:29 AM

Congrats Fur on the crossbow kill from the ground.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 03:08 AM

3 bucks a year. I don’t care if you kill them with a pocket knife or a grenade launcher. Cut the doe number down to 3 a year too. Kill them with your pickup for all I care. I don’t even care what time of year you kill em. Just regulate the numbers so the resource is sustainable.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 03:16 AM

You don’t really learn to hunt sitting in a shooter house on a field. The old days of hunting for droppings in a feeding area is over for most. Back in the old days we would walk half a day to find the best cut in the bluff to hunt. But we did set the posts for me a shooter house on a oat field today. Even got a high backed office chair recliner. Never killed but 2 deer out of a shooter house in my life. If it ever rains on them buck forage oats I am fixing to bring the pain. Probably even have a feeder near it
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/16/23 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pwyse
3 bucks a year. I don’t care if you kill them with a pocket knife or a grenade launcher. Cut the doe number down to 3 a year too. Kill them with your pickup for all I care. I don’t even care what time of year you kill em. Just regulate the numbers so the resource is sustainable.

Now see that’s logical and counterproductive. Then folks won’t pay the high lease prices which results in less tax money and economic gloom from the rural areas. The state isn’t interested in that. They are looking at how many ways can they make that money off of the recreation. Hence increased opportunity, and corn permits, and predation permits, and night time yada yada. Plenty of folks have lifetime hunting licenses. They’ll keep finding more ways to generate just watch.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/17/23 08:05 PM

Yep I’ve said it before that people on here will turn everything pertaining to deer over to the govt if it means bigger antlers for themselves. Poachers are going to poach regardless of the law, personally I don’t have a crossbow and I bow hunt 99% of the season, but if a crossbow gets more people in the woods and maybe leads to an increase in hunter’s rights I’m for that.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/17/23 08:13 PM

You don’t really learn to hunt sitting in a shooter house on a field. The old days of hunting for droppings in a feeding area is over for most. Back in the old days we would walk half a day to find the best cut in the bluff to hunt. But we did set the posts for me a shooter house on a oat field today. Even got a high backed office chair recliner. Never killed but 2 deer out of a shooter house in my life. If it ever rains on them buck forage oats I am fixing to bring the pain. Probably even have a feeder near it

The older I have gotten, the more I like to go sit in a shooting house. Sometimes I just enjoy it because it gives me an opportunity to watch the deer. That said, I have seen and killed more out of some sort of tree stand.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/17/23 10:21 PM

There are times I like to sit a climber in the woods, keep my eyes and ears open for any movement, keep my senses sharp. But most of the time, I’ll take the shooting house on a powerline, with a comfortable office chair, a buddy heater, my iPad to watch the game, and a Stanley thermos full of coffee.

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/18/23 02:56 AM

The only time deer hunting becomes work to me is in the off season and when I’m prepping for season. When it’s time to hunt, I try to make sure it’s not work! I enjoy just going to sit in the shooting house and watching them. Sure I’ll shoot one every now and then if I feel like it.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: One man’s opinion - 11/18/23 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pwyse
There are times I like to sit a climber in the woods, keep my eyes and ears open for any movement, keep my senses sharp. But most of the time, I’ll take the shooting house on a powerline, with a comfortable office chair, a buddy heater, my iPad to watch the game, and a Stanley thermos full of coffee.

I hunt just about the same way. And ill likely see 1000x more deer than ill kill, not different deer but sightings
© 2024 ALDEER.COM