Aldeer.com

Mineral Lick Recipe

Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:00 PM

I have used the red colored mineral blocks, Deer Cane, and Trophy Rock in the past.

Do any of you have a homemade mineral lick recipe that they like and seems to be highly effective, that is cost effective?

Just thought I'd see if there is a better option out there that you may use that might save a little money.

Thanks for the incoming input.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:19 PM

2 parts trace mineral
1 part whit salt
1 part dical
What I been using works good you add a pack of Kool aid to it if you want. Or you can buy you a bucket of lucky buck
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:29 PM

I always had trouble finding dical
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:38 PM

Just buy the 4% phosphorus premium cattle mineral. It’s almost the same thing as lucky buck and it’s only $20/50lb bag

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:39 PM

I usually put out at least 1k lbs across my leases and they hammer it
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 02:46 PM

I have a good one I can share with you. It's probably not as cost effective as what you are looking for though. I made 4 sites back in February and they are absolutely being highly utilized. I am very impressed with the usage so far. If you are interested PM me your email address or I can text it to you if you use a iphone.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 03:32 PM

I mixed the dical with trace mineral mix from TS and 1 part dical to 2 parts TMM.

I have had great success with Lucky Buck and also with any of the WTI mineral mixes as far as usage.

I try to find red clay to make a mineral site. It seems to hold all that there longer than regular dirt.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 03:36 PM

https://www.hubersanimalhealth.com/product/dicalcium-phosphate-feed-grade-50-lb/

I think this is where I got mine.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 03:48 PM

I get a bag of dried Molasses to mix in with it.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
2 parts trace mineral
1 part whit salt
1 part dical
What I been using works good you add a pack of Kool aid to it if you want. Or you can buy you a bucket of lucky buck

X2 and FreeState is correct too
Posted By: William

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 08:15 PM

Clorox
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter
Just buy the 4% phosphorus premium cattle mineral. It’s almost the same thing as lucky buck and it’s only $20/50lb bag

Co op?

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Triple J
Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter

Co op?

Yessuh, I always get mine at Cox in Haleyville
Posted By: aucivil

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 09:46 PM

Where can I find monocalcium phosphate in north Alabama?
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 10:03 PM

Don't know about mono but any CO op or feed store should have di- cal
Posted By: fr8-shkr

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 11:11 PM

I just set a couple of red cattle mineral blocks from tractor supply on the ground. When it rains they dissolve. They wear it out. Just toss another block in every year or so.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/16/23 11:17 PM

Last few years I’ve replenished licks with pool salt that has yielded excellent results [Linked Image]
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 12:56 AM

This is one I have been doing on a sweet gum tree for about 15 years.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 12:58 AM

refreashed today with white sat and Di-cal
[Linked Image]
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 01:08 AM

I have not replenished mine yet this year. I use what Ar1220 posted except the kool aide. But with that said, I have added two other ingredients in the last 4 years and they are now using my mineral licks year round.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 02:06 AM

2 parts red trace mineral to 1 part di-cal phosphate . That's it , no extra salt , (trace mineral is 90% salt), no need for kool-aid , jello or anything else either.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 07:08 AM

Tag out
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 09:48 AM

swamp_fever2002, what were the other 2 ingredients you added?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OlTimer

1 part dry molasses
1/3 part Sodium bentonite clay
Posted By: bassmaster95

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 01:53 PM

Dical and white salt. They love it
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/17/23 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4
Tag out

This
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/18/23 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002
Originally Posted by OlTimer

1 part dry molasses
1/3 part Sodium bentonite clay

Thank you!
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/18/23 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Last few years I’ve replenished licks with pool salt that has yielded excellent results [Linked Image]

We had a spot in Marengo county dug out like that back in the 80s
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/19/23 02:41 AM

Dical and trace minerals that's what everyone been doing along time.doctor it up with corn, molasses,acorn rage whatever you like
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/20/23 02:35 AM

I typically only use Trophy Rock for elk/blacktails, but this year I'm trying Nutrebeef 50# bags of mineral. The Trophy rocks are great just wanted something different.
I also use the Trophy Rock Four65 that comes in a 30# bag.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/20/23 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
2 parts red trace mineral to 1 part di-cal phosphate . That's it , no extra salt , (trace mineral is 90% salt), no need for kool-aid , jello or anything else either.

Yep. I've never understood why people add white salt to that recipe. It's like peeing in the ocean to try and fill it up.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/25/23 08:22 PM

Here is what I've been using the last couple years on a few properties and on 2 of them the deer love it and on the one they will not touch it. I just mix this together real good in a 5 gallon bucket and use a hard tooth rake to mix it in the dirt real good.

1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral
2 parts dried molasses
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/26/23 12:24 AM

I alwas just use bag cow stuff
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/26/23 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr
Here is what I've been using the last couple years on a few properties and on 2 of them the deer love it and on the one they will not touch it. I just mix this together real good in a 5 gallon bucket and use a hard tooth rake to mix it in the dirt real good.

2 parts trace mineral
2 parts dried molasses

I always thought it was 1 molasses, but I can certainly see adding extra to kill the taste of the di-cal. I might have to try your recipe to top off my licks next month when the weather gets hotter. I put the first round out in March right before turkey season.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/27/23 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Davyalabama
Originally Posted by fladeerhntr

2 parts trace mineral
2 parts dried molasses

I always thought it was 1 molasses, but I can certainly see adding extra to kill the taste of the di-cal. I might have to try your recipe to top off my licks next month when the weather gets hotter. I put the first round out in March right before turkey season.

I dont think it could hurt anything to give it a try because that molasses sure does smell good.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/30/23 03:04 AM

So I use to mix my own but honestly, buying the trace blocks is the easiest thing to do with similar results. For an attractant, I have never seen anything work as good as trophy rocks.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/30/23 02:03 PM

Pool salt , deer cane ,
Analogics mineral mix they seem to love it. I've always like Deer cane. Pool salt is cheaper and goes further. Lucky buck is good to
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 05/30/23 02:13 PM

Are you trying to attract deer or give them something for antler growth and milk production?
two separate needs, two separate formulas
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Mineral Lick Recipe - 06/01/23 03:22 PM

I just use a trophy rock and pour buck bourbon on it. They wear ir out. Just add another trophy rock when needed.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM