Aldeer.com

Shooting houses

Posted By: nacho

Shooting houses - 05/12/23 04:37 PM

The storms lately have destroyed several shooting houses on our lease. We are looking to replace at lease 4 of them however looking at lumber cost vs prebuilt type houses. Looking for recommendations and best prices etc. We have hunted out of sportsman condo and redneck houses before no real complaints in either of those. Let’s hear the recommendations from everyone.
Posted By: JA

Re: Shooting houses - 05/12/23 07:25 PM

Hands down the nicest shooting houses I ever sat in were Redneck Blinds. Don’t know what they cost but they are well designed and very durable.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Shooting houses - 05/12/23 09:15 PM

Agree, Redneck is one of nicest houses built, however, you can buy 3 condos for the price of a Redneck. We have both, I prefer Redneck, my wallet prefers Condos.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting houses - 05/12/23 09:48 PM

I’ve recently started installing a few 360 Blinds that are priced in between SCs and Rednecks. They all have their applications. The SCs, for the money, are the way to go. You can add comforts and options with other brands but you’re going to come off the checkbook pretty quick. The 360s come on a crate ready to install. They’re wood with a heavy coat of exterior paint, carpet and nice windows.

https://www.360huntingblinds.com/
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Shooting houses - 05/13/23 12:07 PM

^^
Thats nice looking Mbrock - what they run in cost?

I love my muddy - but the reviews are not good on muddy - they are on redneck - i might would look at that 360 - depending on cost

Re: Shooting houses - 05/13/23 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
^^
Thats nice looking Mbrock - what they run in cost?

I love my muddy - but the reviews are not good on muddy - they are on redneck - i might would look at that 360 - depending on cost

I’ll send you a PM.
Posted By: Dedi

Re: Shooting houses - 05/13/23 01:38 PM

I have hunted in houses that I built mostly out of material damaged at Lowes, Home Depot & Marvins. I have hunted out of a Redneck a couple of times. One of the more recent builds was out of damage from Lowes. On a trip to pick up something for the house I took a pass through the contractor area as they were rolling out a cart with material & I noticed it had a sheet of treated plywood & several sheets of siding. I asked the manager what he would take for the whole cart..........He hesitated. I offered him $50 & he took it. I had just purchased the floor & sides for a shooting house. If you leave your name & phone number you may be able to get on a call list for damaged lumber list. That 4X8 3/4" plywood alone was over $80. Another source is to watch for material is homeowners getting rid of wooden jungle gyms their kids have outgrown. They may even pay you to remove it
Posted By: filespinner

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 10:37 AM

Look into a Antler Shed blind. They are priced between SC and Redneck. I have one and it is nice. Ive never been in a redneck blind, but dont know how it could be much nicer.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 11:16 AM

Titan blinds are nice. I have several of them at our farm.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 11:34 AM

Dedi I do the same thing. I have also picked up miss matched or miss mixed stain to use on them. I got 2 gallons of Kilz wood stain for 2.99 each, usually go for 30 plus per gallon.
Posted By: Offshore

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 06:09 PM

MB Ranch King, none are nicer
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 08:06 PM

Aren’t those Redneck and similar shooting houses like $3-7 grand? Things are expensive. Picked up an SC2 on close out at a building supply store a decade ago for about $700 and thought that was a lot. rofl
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Shooting houses - 05/15/23 10:15 PM

It just seems like a good shooting house can be mass produced for cheaper. I used to see this company at hunting expos that made 2 halves. Had to assemble just a little bit but it was only $500
Posted By: nacho

Re: Shooting houses - 05/16/23 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter
It just seems like a good shooting house can be mass produced for cheaper. I used to see this company at hunting expos that made 2 halves. Had to assemble just a little bit but it was only $500

I wish I could fine some for $500 we would buy several for the club without hesitation.
Posted By: Beer Belly

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 02:58 PM

Another option: elevated platforms w/ rails & popup blinds on top. Take them down after each season. No wasps, etc.
Posted By: hamma

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Beer Belly
Another option: elevated platforms w/ rails & popup blinds on top. Take them down after each season. No wasps, etc.

Many guide services in the mid west doing this
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 04:51 PM

Low’s had a 4x6’ Rubbermaid garden shed on sale for around $250 because someone hit with a vehicle. Didn’t take much to make it a decent stand being we already had a platform on 4x4’s.
Posted By: jeffhhub

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 10:40 PM

The antler shed
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
The SCs, for the money, are the way to go.

SC-2's are just so easy. But some 4x4s and done. I recently moved one by myself with pallet forks and a ratchet strap. Lumber is so heavy, that would never be possible.

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

SC-2's are just so easy. But some 4x4s and done. I recently moved one by myself with pallet forks and a ratchet strap. Lumber is so heavy, that would never be possible.

Yeah I can set those up with forks and 4x4s all day by myself. They’re simple.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Shooting houses - 05/22/23 11:41 PM

I will stick to my pop-up blinds, and sitting in ladders.
Posted By: todd w

Re: Shooting houses - 05/23/23 02:49 PM

I did this last year in 2 spots and it worked great.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Shooting houses - 05/24/23 12:39 AM

I’ve built several from treated dock material I find on the river. After a spring flood there will be lots of damaged piers and docks that are dislodged and scattered along the river bank.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Shooting houses - 05/24/23 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by todd w

I did this last year in 2 spots and it worked great.

I guess you are using shooting sticks or tall tripod for the longer shots?
Posted By: hallb

Re: Shooting houses - 05/24/23 03:07 PM

Maybe the SC-3's are a bit different, my forks weren't long enough and I was kinda getting into the bottom of it. Do you use extensions or b/c the SC-2's are boxed you are able to get them completely under the shorter side?

Re: Shooting houses - 05/24/23 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by hallb

Maybe the SC-3's are a bit different, my forks weren't long enough and I was kinda getting into the bottom of it. Do you use extensions or b/c the SC-2's are boxed you are able to get them completely under the shorter side?

I’ve got 60” forks on my tractor and haven’t had a problem with anything from the SC1-SC4.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM