Aldeer.com

MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips

Posted By: RammerJammer5

MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/24/23 04:35 PM

Here is some really good info. If you ever plant vetch and Alyce Clover combined I promise you'll be happy you did.

MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting
Posted By: Jwoods32

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/24/23 08:30 PM

What kind of seed rate are you running with them mixed?
Posted By: jacannon

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/25/23 12:06 PM

According to QDM food plot manual 10# each per acre.

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/25/23 03:43 PM

I did 20#’s an acre. You’re not trying to harvest this so running thick doesn’t hurt. Plus you always lose some to wildlife and being buried too deep or who knows what. I’ve had tremendous success with Vetch and Alyce.
Posted By: stl32

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/26/23 01:27 PM

I am going to drill 15 lb of each to the acre, anyone have some input on how to transition from the vetch/clover mix in the summer to grain/brassica/clover mix in the winter then back to vetch/clover the next summer? It looks like the vetch might be to big and bushy in early October to run a drill over it and plant with it standing, might have to mow it first. Will the vetch/clover naturally come back the next summer?
Posted By: crocker

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/26/23 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by RammerJammer5
I did 20#’s an acre. You’re not trying to harvest this so running thick doesn’t hurt. Plus you always lose some to wildlife and being buried too deep or who knows what. I’ve had tremendous success with Vetch and Alyce.

Where you buying the seed?
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 04/30/23 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by stl32
I am going to drill 15 lb of each to the acre, anyone have some input on how to transition from the vetch/clover mix in the summer to grain/brassica/clover mix in the winter then back to vetch/clover the next summer? It looks like the vetch might be to big and bushy in early October to run a drill over it and plant with it standing, might have to mow it first. Will the vetch/clover naturally come back the next summer?

Yes, mowing will most likely be necessary. I don't believe the vetch will come back but some of the clover should naturally re-seed itself
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 05/02/23 02:43 AM

We cut a 20 acre hay field that has a ton of vetch in it. I can’t remember how it comes back after the first cutting in the early summer. But I do know it is so thick it will make a mess in a hay mower trying to cut. We don’t drill this field with rye in October like the rest, and is always super thick with vetch the next spring without any seeding. I’m pretty sure our crab grass chokes the vetch out after the first time cutting… hope this helps..

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 05/21/23 08:19 PM

I bought mine at Safford

Re: MSU Deer Lab Summer Planting tips - 05/21/23 08:20 PM

STL32....... it doesnt come back again unfortunately
© 2024 ALDEER.COM