Posted By: BCLC

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/23/23 01:35 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/23/23 03:21 PM

In before the weenie talk and sexual crimes
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/23/23 08:55 PM

Never take head shots. Small error can leave a deer unable to eat or drink and I am not for any animal suffering
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/23/23 11:33 PM

Exactly
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 12:27 AM

Never.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 12:39 AM

Best line from the movie El Diablo. Lou Gossett shot a man in the back. Guy says, "you just shot him in the back" To which Gossett said, "Well, his back was to me".
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 12:46 AM

I'll bite. When you want to kill more than one doe out of a doe train , shoot the lead doe , put her down in her tracks and you can get at least one more every time.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
I'll bite. When you want to kill more than one doe out of a doe train , shoot the lead doe , put her down in her tracks and you can get at least one more every time.

Damn it ,,,,, we can't do that no more though. I loved it when we could kill two at a time
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 02:39 AM

I’ve finished one off that was bedded with his head up, but shot it just below in the neck. That’s about the only time I’ve came close to shooting one in the head.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/24/23 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
[Linked Image]

This.
Posted By: kntree

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BuckRidge17
I’ve finished one off that was bedded with his head up, but shot it just below in the neck. That’s about the only time I’ve came close to shooting one in the head.

This reason is the only one I can imagine.
Posted By: EmeraldTides

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 02:02 PM

When it's shot and down but not dead yet and needs to be finished off. Only then.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 04:47 PM

Head.....NEVER. Base of the neck many times.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 05:14 PM

In my 40+ years of hunting the same piece of property that I do I guess I'm close to, if not at already at, killing 500 deer in my life. Keep in mind I'm not a slob htunter but we had a number of years where we had to do some serious population control after all the soybeans went away in the mid 80s and into the 90s I guess. Anyways, in all that time, I can not remember head shooting a deer either intentionally, or accidentally. I suppose if I was on a meat hunt and a doe was close by and the only thing exposed was her head, I would do it. Now if it is a doe or a very mature buck without a nice rack and I want to ruin as little meat as possible then I shoot them in the neck close to where it runs into the head. That way it is hard not to miss the spine and you still get most of the neck meat. I've done that a few times.
It reminds of a funny story. Bojie Beers' hunting camp, Alabama River Hunting Lodge, is just up the river from us and we go up and visit them every now and then as we are all friends. One evening years ago they brought in a doe with its head pretty much blown off. Apparently, the hunter had killed several does like that on his trip. The guide, the famous (or infamous Walter Traylor), asked him why he kept shooting them in the head like that. The hunter told him because he wanted to follow all the F&G laws. Walter says "What?" to the guy and after a bit more questioning it comes out that this newish and gullible hunter was told by his buddies that in Alabama we have a very liberal doe allowance but in order to be legal you have to shoot them in the head. The guy believed them and was following what he thought was the law. I guess his buddies went to bed every night laughing themselves to sleep.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 06:09 PM

I shot a 40 lb fawn in the nose looking at me with my 7mag
at about 50 ards , it had no head after that .

I got not problem blowing that head up
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/26/23 11:28 PM

Never done it.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/27/23 02:03 PM

To each his own - 35-40 years ago i did it when i was young - had buddies talking about doing it

After that - i Decided there were bettr places to shoot a deer than the head
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/27/23 08:18 PM

I only take headshots with my atlatl....anything else isn't enough of a challenge
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/28/23 03:22 AM

Only at night for me…
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 03/28/23 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
Only at night for me…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: howl

Re: Headshooting Deer - when do you do it? - 04/06/23 09:14 PM

Yeah, they do a lot of night shooting for foxes over there, too. That may be why he mentioned headshooting foxes in the video.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM