Aldeer.com

How many...

Posted By: Tree Dweller

How many... - 03/18/23 08:04 AM

..Deer have you hit while driving, and in what states ?

I have a confirmed kill in North Carolina and Florida. I also have had several more in Florida, who have bounced off, only to flee into the woods.
That, and more close calls than I can even count in many states. All this while being ultra aware while night driving, and knowing their vulnerability.

I can still see the N.C. kill in my mind like a movie many years later. It was a young 6 point that drifted out of a thickly wooded center median on an Interstate.
I kept moving to the right till I ran out of room, and nailed his head with the drivers side front bumper. There was another vehicle near me when this happened.
We both pulled over. "I knew one of us was going to get him" the other driver said. We drug him off to the side out of the traffic lane. "Do you want him ?" he said.
I was far from home and said "Nope". He had a helper with him, so down the road I went slightly shaken.
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 11:55 AM

1 in Alabama, Buck small rack it happened quick. Hit him dead center hair in the winch cable. No truck damage. Deer survived guess we looked for him??
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 12:58 PM

I’ve killed 7 with my old Jeep. All during turkey season right before daylight. The deer are all in the fields at night and crossing roads going back into the mtns that time of year. So far only damage is broken side marker lens. I got 3 at one time one foggy morning. I’m not swerving and wrecking or slamming brakes on and ruining my tires.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 12:59 PM

Alabama: 2 Survivors.....2 Fatalities.
Posted By: Wapiti55

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 02:10 PM

I’ve never hit a deer with a vehicle but have had two hit me in the qtr panel. Had few close calls where they disappeared out of my site under my hood but somehow didnt get smacked. I was heavy on the brakes both time so that probably helped.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 02:17 PM

killed two does with my right front tire, no damage to truck either time.
Posted By: BrandonClark

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 02:31 PM

8 in Alabama 1 in Florida. Hit 3 in 5 days all in daylight hours within a few miles of each other.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 03:25 PM

I think 3 in Alabama

One is semi funny. I prayed all day for a buck and hunted all day. On way home at end of the day i was thinking - why couldn't i just kill a buck. I was not 1/2 mile from the club house - had to slam on breaks to miss a moma doe and i just did miss her. Started back up and wham - a deer ran into my door and put big dent in door.

It was a dead nubbin buck - i got my buck 🤣🤣 was not the exact one i had n mind but i never specified

Went to body shop later - guy popped dent right out and said no charge. I think the Lord gav me that buck 😀
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 03:58 PM

1 hit. 1 hit me
One was a spike on hwy 331 south of Montgomery. Going hunting one morning and the deer hit the truck front of me. He bounced off that truck and hit me too. Only made a slight dent on my side panel. Other one was interesting.

When my oldest son was in high school, we went to Alex City to see him play a soccer match at the municipal park where the football stadium is. We were driving across the mostly empty parking lot and suddenly, out of my peripheral vision, I saw several does coming across the parking lot right on top of us. Not a car within a 100 yards of us and the lead doe slams into the passenger front quarter panel. She bounced off and continued across the parking lot.

Yep. The most damage I’ve ever had to a vehicle from a deer occurred in the middle of a football stadium asphalt parking lot.
Posted By: top cat

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 04:21 PM

Nary a one
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 04:53 PM

My sons buddy killed 3 at once coming up his long driveway. All does....1 slammed into the front passenger side and the other 2 hit the utility trailer and mower he was pulling. It was mostly their running speed that did them in. I wouldn't have believed it if not for the pictures and that the young man has a long list of odd vehicular troubles, some his fault but most as an innocent driver. I'm just glad he is still alive and mostly unscratched to tell the stories to his kid.
Posted By: hillmp

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 05:10 PM

I've probably hit 30+ in my life. Well to be fair I've hit some, some have hit me and sometimes we have both hit each other.
Posted By: James

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
killed two does with my right front tire, no damage to truck either time.

Done that myself about 4 miles from camp. Me and my son both just knew the fender and door was going to be damaged but Nope! Dang thing got rolled up in the tire just right and got kicked under the stepbar
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: How many... - 03/18/23 05:23 PM

If I remember right 4 for me one for the wife.
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 12:53 AM

1 it hit me when I was slowing down to turn in driveway, have had several close calls in Alabama & Mississippi.
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 01:42 AM

Hit by 3.
2 in bama 1 in Missouri
All walked away

Hit 2
Both in bama
both drt
Posted By: woodduck

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 01:51 AM

2 in ala both did heavy damage to my trucks. Found one cut her up the other was small buck but didn’t find him
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 02:55 AM

Hit one in AL about 0430 while driving on RSA to go deer hunting. Damn spike run right into me in front of the Von Braun building. Was riding shotgun in an old Monte Carlo about 1983 in WV. It was about midnight and we was headed to get beer in a county next door before we drove 2 hours to Mt Morris, PA for the national motocross race in the morning. We made the trip on one headlight after hitting one. Every time I head to WV, the stretch in KY between Elizabethtown to Ashland is full of carcasses.

When stationed in England, my best bud knocked on my door one night and said he was following a driver that hit a queen's deer. We went back out, threw it in my car, hauled it back into a shed behind my house on RAF Lakenheath, and skinned and quartered it up to eat.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 03:36 AM

2. In Alabama. One going about 70 on hwy 13 in Bibb county in a suburban. Totally hammered that 8 point and man it tore up my suburban. Just a month later, had one literally run up to and under the same suburban on a dirt road on my hunting land. Craziest thing I ever saw! He got trapped under the front of my suburban. I was barley moving when it happened. I got out to see WTF had happened. He was another 8 point. He was kicking rocks and dirt everywhere trying to get out from under the front of the vehicle. He finally got out and hauled ass away.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 10:17 AM

2 in Alabama of which one of those took out the whole front clip on my Firebird
1 in South Dakota and it was a muley doe that took out the grill of my Tahoe
Posted By: coachg34

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 11:17 AM

Several near misses but 0 for me personally. My son was driving my mom’s Honda Accord to NJackson HS on US 72 middle of January to the county basketball 🏀 tournament to see my daughter play . He’s driving, my mom in the front seat and I’m in the back . A doe ran into us in front of the subway building in Stevenson. She was soaking wet , I’m sure a buck was chasing her during the rut . None of us ever saw it , just a big thud ! Did over $2000 damage to my moms car . First vehicle that passed us stopped and asked if we wanted it . They drove off with some meat and we went on to the game still a little shook .
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 12:44 PM

I've hit 3 that I remember. Totalled a vehicle with the last one I hit. He was coming across 431 one foggy morning and I didn't even see him before it was too late.
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 01:17 PM

I hit a big spike in MS one cold morning when I was headed out, I loaded him up and kept going, I have had several near misses and it definitely will shake you up....now when I drive in "known deer" spots, I just slow down a little, but they can come from anywhere at anytime, especially during the rut......
Posted By: howl

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 01:36 PM

None so far, but I'm pretty sure the sandwich maker swerves to hit them. I shoot every deer I see here on the home place to save the deductible.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 02:01 PM

I obliterated a spotted fawn one time on the way home from work in mid august. Its back was just about the height of the top lugnut on my tire. It wasn't pretty. Truck smelled like road kill for several weeks no matter how hard I tried to wash it off.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 02:18 PM

I’ve got several in Alabama. Three times I think it was more than 5000 dollars worth of damage. My insurance company told me I either needed to move or find another insurance company because the amount of deer I was hitting I was becoming a high risk customer and they were gonna drop me.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 02:21 PM

0 , so far.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 05:59 PM

I have hit 2 both in Alabama. Well actually one of them hit me. Had a buck run into the drivers side door of my truck going in to work one night. I plastered a doe in a car. Popped over a little hill and she darted out of a deep ditch along side the highway right in front of me. I didn't even get my foot on the brakes.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 07:17 PM

I’ve only been hit by one deer that went around the back of my Jeep when I stopped for a group that were jumping a a road in front of me. That deer hit the trailer tongue and proceeded to kick the crap out of my rear door.
I did have occasion to witness a guy hit a hog(approximately 250-300 pounds). It was crossing the highway around 3:30 am. The guy was passing me on a two lane road. I was at about 60mph, he was going faster. Hog came out of the ditch and across from my right, got out of my lane and BLAM!! The damage on the sedan dude was driving was extensive.
Posted By: EmeraldTides

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 10:02 PM

I haven't hit any myself. Some of my family members are so lucky. I've eaten 4 that were hit in the past 2 years. 😁
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: How many... - 03/19/23 11:51 PM

I hit 3 in Alabama and my wife hit one here in Missouri in 2011.
Posted By: mrinfo

Re: How many... - 03/21/23 06:50 PM

Hit one on off Hwy 265 just below the fire tower in Fatima back in the mid 90's as I was heading in to our lease before daylight. Knocked her down and she got up slow and just stood there on wobbly legs so I got out and finished her off. Left her laying there cause I didn't want to get caught with a doe with a bullet hole in the bed of my truck (it wasn't doe season yet). When we came out of the woods about 10:30 a couple guys from Florida that hunted on a lease next to ours were standing over her. We stopped and told them what had happened. They asked if we wanted it and we said "No" so they loaded her up. No damage to my truck, the brush guard on the front of my '86 s-10 absorbed most of the shock. Lots of close calls since then but no contact.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: How many... - 03/21/23 07:58 PM

I have been quite fortunate and never hit a deer.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: How many... - 03/21/23 08:53 PM

5 in Alabama. All in the same year. Mostly in SW Alabama in 1996.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM