Aldeer.com

Two bullet holes, one bullet

Posted By: Peach

Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 07:29 PM

My nephew killed a seven point this morning on my property in Covington County. When he found the deer, it had two perfect bullet holes about five inches apart. I wonder if the bullet separated in flight or maybe it hit a twig before impact??
Posted By: Swamp Monkey

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 08:03 PM

Can you give more details? Was it broad side or trees between the shooter and deer? What caliper, bullet and distance? Definitely odd. If you got a picture that we could see too? Anyway- glad he got a buck!!
Posted By: howl

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 08:16 PM

Entrance or exit? Was anyone throwing an axe at him when he shot?
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 08:57 PM

If it separated you should found the jacket
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 09:13 PM

Had a buddy shoot a big 10 pointer, and had the same deal happen, we figured the bullet split on a limb right before the deer...it was a 7 mag btw
Posted By: Peach

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 09:55 PM

The holes were entrance wounds. I think he was shooting a 30.06. Pm me a cell number and I will text pics.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 10:30 PM

Never had a bullet separate. Interesting
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 10:33 PM

I had it happen but one hit the deer and the other piece didn’t. He was back on camera a week later and you could see a white spot on his shoulder where a piece of the bullet hit him. I killed him the following year though
Posted By: jhardy

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/28/23 11:36 PM

Hit a sapling one time close to the deer. Bullet fragmented in two. One hit chest and one neck. If the neck didn’t hit artery would have been in trouble.
Posted By: globe

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/29/23 12:33 AM

Friend of mine shot one through a barbed wire fence and it split.
Killed the deer
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/29/23 03:20 PM

Wow, very interesting
Posted By: daylate

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 01/29/23 04:01 PM

We killed an 11 pt in Texas a few weeks ago. The buck had two bullet holes in him when we cleaned him but one wasn't freshly bleeding. We recovered both the .308 bullet and jacket and a .223 bullet and jacket from the deer. My friend's .308 bullet high in the shoulder dropped him DRT. The .223 bullet had not hit any vitals and ended up lodged against the leg bone of one of his front legs. The deer showed no sign of being wounded before we shot him.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 02/01/23 10:14 PM

I shot a doe in the neck straight on one time through some brush and had two entrance holes. 150gr sst 308
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 02/02/23 01:25 AM

I feel like 2 "perfect" bullet holes wouldn't happen if the bullet split. I would guess it is a similar scenario to what was mentioned above... a deer wounded by an earlier shot somewhere
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 02/02/23 03:39 AM

We skinned and caped out the deer my buddy got and the 2 holes were different sized, one looked slightly torn... we figured that they must have tumbled before hitting it...He was damn lucky too cause one went thru the gut and the other barely clipped the bottom of his heart....150+ '" Buck... shocked at that time, it was the biggest either of us had ever seen from this area so we examined it pretty good....
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 02/02/23 01:41 PM

Echoes of the Warren Commission
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Two bullet holes, one bullet - 02/02/23 04:51 PM

I centered a 4" beech tree with a deer standing about 4' on the other side of it. Bullet hit him like buckshot fragmented into 4 pieces. Did the same thing with a cedar tree not too long ago and didn't find the deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM