Aldeer.com

Head shots on deer

Posted By: redgineer

Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:48 AM

After years of wishing, I finally have a property where I get to be picky when I shoot. I like rib, neck, and shoulder meat, so I'd like to start chooting dem n da hed. Anyone else doing this?

Before the you can't do it brigade shows up, You can't do it, but I can, because I have determination. I know animals have smaller brains, and choose my shot placement accordingly. I can brain squirrels at 70 yards, pretty sure I can do deer at 150.

I've got a 20" Hbar BCM upper that seems perfect for the job. It's as accurate as any bolt gun I own. The flat ballistics of 5.56 out of a 20" barrel will be more forgiving if my range estimate is off, and it's plenty to crack a deer skull. I'll be putting a Trijicon Credo 4-16x on it once deer season ends. I won't be toting this rifle far, so weight isn't an issue.

I may look into getting a new trigger, all my lowers have milspec. I have never felt the need to upgrade, but the trigger on my Savages makes good shot placement easier.

For ammo, I plan on finding the most accurate expandable round for my upper, but affordable enough for me to practice with. Lighter rounds will give me a flatter trajectory, but I think I'd like to stick with heavier bullets in case I want to double lung one. 77gr is what the upper liked most in previous testing, so that's what I'll probably end up with.
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:54 AM

Sure it's a harder shot but the real problem is the explanation. Everyone will think you shot it at night with a spot light because you aimed for the glowing eyes

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:56 AM

I process them myself. I'm the only one who ever sees anything but cooked meat.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:59 AM

I'll also be waiting for broadside shots where I can hit just behind the eye. That'll scramble the brains good, and it doesn't look like they were spotlighted.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:00 AM

Best of luck. Aim small because you don’t have much room for error.
I’ve done it a few times and after the last couple flopping around and having to shoot them again I’ll never try it again
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:02 AM

I’ve only done it once when I was young. I think I just got lucky
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:13 AM

When you shoot one’s jaw off and a few minutes later it stands up and starts to leave and you don’t get another shot in it you won’t do it again. That’s if you are a true hunter and actually cares about what you are hunting.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:18 AM

I couldn't care less how you shot your deer .
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:22 AM

A well placed head shot is obviously a lethal shot. For me and my ability, it’s not an ethical shot. I’d never attempt it. I’m good with losing a little shoulder meat to insure a humane kill.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
When you shoot one’s jaw off and a few minutes later it stands up and starts to leave and you don’t get another shot in it you won’t do it again. That’s if you are a true hunter and actually cares about what you are hunting.

This. I simply won't do it because the margin of error is just so small, and the head of a feeding deer moves more than anything. Slight movements mean BAD misses if all you're aiming for is the brain.

I've seen trail cam pics of emaciated does who are starving to death with a bottom jaw hanging off due to attempted head shots that went wrong. It's cruel.

It's all cool and stuff to brag about, but it's a matter of when, not if, you booger one up that way.

Personally, it's not worth it to me, but everyone's conscience is different.
Posted By: blade

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:26 AM

I decided when i was young and dumb to shoot one between the eyes just to show a buddy i could. It was a young 7 point at about 125 yards. 270 130 gr ballistic tip hand loads (before you could buy them factory loaded) When i walked up to it, I said never again. He deserved better, antlers splayed out, eyes blown out sockets, head disfigured.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by blade
I decided when i was young and dumb to shoot one between the eyes just to show a buddy i could. It was a young 7 point at about 125 yards. 270 130 gr ballistic tip hand loads (before you could buy them factory loaded) When i walked up to it, I said never again. He deserved better, antlers splayed out, eyes blown out sockets, head disfigured.

Pretty much why I only did it once as well. Mine was a doe and it made me sick.

Put me in the camp of not a head shooter.
Posted By: Mansfield

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:39 AM

It makes a horrible mess I won’t ever do it again.
Posted By: PoohBear

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:42 AM

I saw a doe shot in the head and thought I was going to throw up right there on the spot. Stay in the vital area, you can't go wrong there. Just saying....
Posted By: CNC

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:49 AM

I went on a track one time where the hunter accidentally blew the jaw off of a deer on a quartering away shot…….The deer had its head lowered and the hunter just jerked the shot to the right. We didn’t know this until I got there the next morning and we found teeth at the hit site. When we found the deer it was still alive and took off running……The spot where it had spent the night was the most gruesome blood trail scene I’ve ever witnessed. The deer had apparently spent the night walking around in about a 10-15 yard circle shaking its head back and forth slinging blood on EVERYTHING……the bushes, the ground, the trees up to head high……..kinda looked like as if you dipped a paint brush down in red paint over and over, slinging off the excess each time…….There was big gobs of blood in some places where it was trying to clot up but couldn’t……

We chased after it that morning but since it didnt have any kind of injury to its body it just wouldn’t bay up to be finished…….We finally had to just pull off of it and let it go. That deer likely died an ugly death once it finally got weak enough.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck

This. I simply won't do it because the margin of error is just so small, and the head of a feeding deer moves more than anything. Slight movements mean BAD misses if all you're aiming for is the brain.

I've seen trail cam pics of emaciated does who are starving to death with a bottom jaw hanging off due to attempted head shots that went wrong. It's cruel.

It's all cool and stuff to brag about, but it's a matter of when, not if, you booger one up that way.

I hope you don't bow hunt if you're worried about that.

I will be spending the next year setting up a rifle and practicing at various ranges. This isn't something I'm taking casually.
Originally Posted by redgineer

Before the you can't do it brigade shows up, You can't do it, but I can, because I have determination. I know animals have smaller brains, and choose my shot placement accordingly. I can brain squirrels at 70 yards, pretty sure I can do deer at 150.

Posted By: CAL

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:01 AM

I’ve done it a few times. It ain’t pretty but gets the job done and doesn’t waste any meat.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:12 AM

Why not set a guillotine inside some hog wire to a gravity feeder. Deer pops it’s head in to feed and you could activate it however you please. I’m thinking a .22 to some plink metal that activates the drop.
Posted By: Spec

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:13 AM

With a rifle’@50-100 yards absolutely but no further or closer. The sight and smell of it is a lot less offensive than a gut shot deer. Never really had one move a muscle after impact. Now listen close, never under any circumstance do it with a bow. I did when I was younger and it still haunts me if I think about it. After a lot of chasing and 2 arrows later she finally stopped moving. Dear God I still ask for your forgiveness for that terrible day in February in the swamps of S Louisiana.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:19 AM

I like rib, neck, and shoulder meat,

A well placed double lung shot behind the shoulder is going to destroy less than a pound of meat. And with much more room for error to ensure an ethical kill.

You can't do it, but I can, because I have determination. I know animals have smaller brains, and choose my shot placement accordingly. I can brain squirrels at 70 yards, pretty sure I can do deer at 150.

Ok American Sniper. Be sure to come back on here admitting when you blow a jaw off. Hunting is wildly different than target shooting. It's a moving target at range and wind that isn't predetermined, and with a mediocre gun rest. 150 yards? Hell a perfectly sighted rifle will range anywhere from 3 inches low to 3 inches high depending on the arc of the bullet and how close or far the target is from 0 to 250 yards.
Posted By: dsmc

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:14 AM

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/d7JhgKHD][Linked Image]
My son likes head shots…..several years ago he said, I’m gonna go kill a doe for some jerky. I told him not to mess up any meat.
BTW, he’s not done that again.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:40 AM

I had a .223 single shot I used to do it with and it would barely leave a hole. It can sure get gruesome though
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:42 AM

Shoulder shots or right behind create the highest probability of a clean kill and recovery. A 150 grain or more bullet gives one a slight increase of doing more damage than even a 100 grain. There is very little meat loss on a deer with those shots. For the most meat to go in the freezer only shoot 120 pound or larger deer. Those small ones really are a waste of time. I just wouldn't take head shots due to the probability of slight movement on the shooter or the deer and it may end up running around without a jaw.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 06:08 AM

I can shoot squirrels in the head also with a pellet gun or .22. I have shot on in the head, never again. Too much error because unlike squirrels, deer are prone to jerk at sound. I usually shoot them right behind the front shoulder and blow up the heart. Recoil also plays into shoot placement.
Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 12:06 PM

I personally would not do it but it’s a free country and you do you.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 12:23 PM

Not much margin for error. I think I'd be shooting a Barnes or a nosler partition. If that's what I was going to do.
Posted By: ShootemupTex

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 01:37 PM

I tried a headshot from 10 yeards on my first deer that I spined from 10 yards, first with the muzzle loader and then with a pistol. I still feel a little bad about it. If I can't pull it off from 10 yards, I dang sure won't try it from 100. My brain finally caught up after 4 attempts and I put a pistol round in the boiler room. Hit the heart and that was that. So I don't think I'll ever try a headshot again from any distance One caught a jaw and I was glad it was spined and couldn't go anywhere. That would have been horrible.

It made me realize humans are unique with large brains that take up a much larger portion of our heads than other animals. It isn't as easy as I thought.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 01:51 PM

Everytime I read something like this I think what a dumb phuck. Muh meat muh meat I caint waste 6 ounces of rib meat so I'm gonna risk blowing a deers jaw off and it starving to death
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 01:59 PM

Not my cup of tea. I’ll just loose a little meat and break down those shoulders or ribs.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:04 PM

Thats just ignorant...02 They deserve better...
Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
Everytime I read something like this I think what a dumb phuck. Muh meat muh meat I caint waste 6 ounces of rib meat so I'm gonna risk blowing a deers jaw off and it starving to death
X2....Thats just Ridiculous to me...
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:15 PM

it is like high tech stuff...it works great till it doesn't. In my opinion it is not an ethical shot to take. Nothing worse looking that a deer with its jaw shot off.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
it is like high tech stuff...it works great till it doesn't. In my opinion it is not an ethical shot to take. Nothing worse looking that a deer with its jaw shot off.

X2.

No reason to take the lowest probability shot when a basketball sized target is begging for your bullet right behind the shoulder.
Posted By: coach2

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:01 PM

If we are worried about wasting meat……….maybe get another job instead of hunting to buy more food or if you are starving please let us know and we can help. I’m not a wealthy man by any means but the thought of not wasting meat has never once crossed my mind! I pray each time that if I shoot, to please allow me a safe and ethical shot and for the animal to die quickly. Maybe I’m too soft

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

But he can do it 🙄

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by coach2
If we are worried about wasting meat……….maybe get another job instead of hunting to buy more food or if you are starving please let us know and we can help. I’m not a wealthy man by any means but the thought of not wasting meat has never once crossed my mind! I pray each time that if I shoot, to please allow me a safe and ethical shot and for the animal to die quickly. Maybe I’m too soft

No it’s because you have more respect for the animals you love to hunt.
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:27 PM

Head shots on deer are not wise.
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by coach2

No it’s because you have more respect for the animals you love to hunt.

Exacctttlllly.......
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 03:42 PM

Bad idea
Posted By: hallb

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:26 PM

Why shoot at the smallest target on a deer and also the part of a deer that is constantly moving up and down, side to side.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:56 PM

Head shots on deer are as good as neck shots….DOTS
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
Why shoot at the smallest target on a deer and also the part of a deer that is constantly moving up and down, side to side.

Cause his azz is starving and that rib meat will carry them howngry youngins through the cold hard winters of Alabama. He also practices and can shoot squirrels, so it's a no brainer.

Hopefully he is trolling
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:00 PM

Nope for me.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:01 PM

Why y’all downing on the man he said he gonna practice.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:32 PM

Not my preferred shot but I've done it and I'll probably do it again. Situation has to be perfect for me, a feeding doe with head down facing me at a relatively close distance with a stable rest.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 05:44 PM

I’ve never understood why ppl want to make things harder than it’s got to be. I hear ppl all the time talking about the next magic spot to shoot a deer. 100% of deer die when you blow their lungs out. It’s the biggest target and the least protected spot on a deer.
Posted By: AJones

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 06:18 PM

Head shots are ugly when they go wrong. Put my dog on one several years ago. Luckily she was able bay it. The deer broke and headed straight back towards us, presenting a shot to finish it off. The lower jaws where hanging on by skin.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bulls eye
Nope for me.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 06:35 PM

I don’t even shoot em in the head when using my Qbeam. But If’n it’s the only shot I got, I’m taking it.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 07:06 PM

Not going to bash you but I'm not going to do it myself. I would just use a heart/lung shot and have an excuse to shoot an extra deer every year if I wanted to make up for lost meat. If your going to practice a bunch and get really good with a particular rifle for headshots, why not use that learned skill to punch a clean hole through the ribs with a semi-explosive .223 and turn the lungs to mush with minimal damage to the far side ribs?
Posted By: low wall

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 07:14 PM

Jeez, didn't we just have this conversation a week or so ago, about neck shots? Same answer, in spades.
Posted By: buck_buster

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 07:49 PM

Just because you can....................................... Doesn't mean you should..................................
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 08:18 PM

I think anyone that would take head shots at deer has some mental issues.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I was unsure at first, but all of your support has given me the confidence to pursue it.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I was unsure at first, but all of your support has given me the confidence to pursue it.

Have fun
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by buck_buster
Just because you can....................................... Doesn't mean you should..................................

This is true for people that have kids and don't take care of them.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 08:56 PM

He's just trying to get y'alls blood pressure up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: howl

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 09:42 PM

You'd do better to use a bolt action with the scope mounted low. Bolts will have shorter lock time so it's less likely you will break the shot too late before the deer moves. Having the scope mounted lower will make for less rise in trajectory to zero distance. An AR is not the tool for this.

I used to take a lot of head shots; some way out there. I stopped when I realized my shooting wasn't up to it anymore. My eyes got worse and I didn't practice as much for various reasons. Had I continued I probably would have had a bad experience. So, be real honest with yourself about the status of your equipment, training and practice. There's nothing wrong with headshooting. It's just that hardly anyone is in tune with their equipment and gameshooting to the point they can do it 100%.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 10:51 PM

Lol its just a deer , they die all the time . Blowed off jaw or knaw on by a yote or blowed off leg or arrow broke off in him . It's a deers life .
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/15/22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbamaboy
I’ve never understood why ppl want to make things harder than it’s got to be. I hear ppl all the time talking about the next magic spot to shoot a deer. 100% of deer die when you blow their lungs out. It’s the biggest target and the least protected spot on a deer.

Yep. People always find a way to over complicate something so easy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear something like this next…”But that ruins the lungs and I love me some fried lungs….” 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 12:04 AM

Let me get this straight. You had a retired game warden advise you not to. You had a tracker tell you not to. You had several hunters that have made head shots and said that they would never do it again tell you not to. And you also had a marksman that shoots competitively and deer hunts advise against it. Then you post what I quoted after all that. So why did you ask us for advice since you had already made up your mind? Now we just think that you are the commander of the dumbass brigade.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by howl
You'd do better to use a bolt action with the scope mounted low. Bolts will have shorter lock time so it's less likely you will break the shot too late before the deer moves. Having the scope mounted lower will make for less rise in trajectory to zero distance. An AR is not the tool for this.

I used to take a lot of head shots; some way out there. I stopped when I realized my shooting wasn't up to it anymore. My eyes got worse and I didn't practice as much for various reasons. Had I continued I probably would have had a bad experience. So, be real honest with yourself about the status of your equipment, training and practice. There's nothing wrong with headshooting. It's just that hardly anyone is in tune with their equipment and gameshooting to the point they can do it 100%.

Thanks howl, this is the type of stuff I was hoping to hear. Just looked it up, my Savage has an under 2ms lock time vs 10ms on an Ar, that's a big difference.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by buck_buster

Just because I can means that I will
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 04:17 PM

No one filling our damage tags or hunting the farm properties is allowed to take a head shot. If they mention headshots before I submit their tag info, I'm very clear, vitals or NO TAG.
There's nothing worse than watching an animal walk around with it's jaw hanging down unable to eat because of a stupid shot. They're pathetic looking and if ya
do the right thing, you risk poaching charges lol. You're only saving what, a pound or two of meat? To those that do, shoot straight

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 08:40 PM

Troll
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 11:38 PM

You mentioned 150 yds. I don’t know the answer to this question, but in addition to other factors, I wonder what time-to-impact is from barrel to head at 100 or 150 yards? Add that to rifle lock time, plus human reaction time, and I think there’s enough that a deer could move its head an inch or two (?) from where intended. Then to that distance (whatever one assumes), add the radius of your gun’s grouping at distance. Then … after that, add some sort of honesty factor distance of what distance error you might introduce under the pressure of a shot.

I’m not good enough I don’t believe. I still get shook up shooting a deer to some degree
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/16/22 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by M48scout
You mentioned 150 yds. I don’t know the answer to this question, but in addition to other factors, I wonder what time-to-impact is from barrel to head at 100 or 150 yards? Add that to rifle lock time, plus human reaction time, and I think there’s enough that a deer could move its head an inch or two (?) from where intended. Then to that distance (whatever one assumes), add the radius of your gun’s grouping at distance. Then … after that, add some sort of honesty factor distance of what distance error you might introduce under the pressure of a shot.

I’m not good enough I don’t believe. I still get shook up shooting a deer to some degree

This is with a 1.5’’ vital zone. 10mph cross wind. (I don’t take head shots but to each his own) [Linked Image]

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 12:57 AM

^^This thread suddenly turned productive, type of stuff I was hoping to see.

150 yards is not set in stone. I haven't spent much time thinking about it yet, and haven't done any work towards it. I'll learn as I go, and may learn not to do it. If nothing else, it will be fun getting a rifle set up for this purpose in the off season. My prediction is I get tired of waiting for a headshot, and put one through the ribs. I'll also only be doing this at my shooting range, which they frequent. I will be very familiar with the ranges, wind, lighting, and such.

Shaving 8+ms off the lock time would be useful, and I would like to keep the high velocity and affordability 5.56 ammo. Probably be cheaper to get a new 5.56 bolt action rifle than set up a .308 for it, and I now have an excuse to buy a new gun! Any recommendations? Taking Ar mags would be a plus. Ruger American is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't like that you can't lock the bolt closed on them, but I guess that won't be an issue when waltzing to my shooting range.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 01:25 AM

I wouldn't try it in low light, if they have time to react they gonna see that muzzle flash
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
I wouldn't try it in low light, if they have time to react they gonna see that muzzle flash

lol
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 01:42 PM

There’s entirely too much thought being put into this topic. Lol

1. Once you shoot a deer in the head you will either realize you didn’t accomplish anything special and not waste time trying to get a perfect shot or you get over confident, continue to do it, and end up screwing up by rushing a shot.

2. With a .223 or 5.56 you won’t be wasting enough meat to matter so in reality you just want to shoot a deer in the head to say you did. Lol

3. Your mind is made up so Just go do it and get it out of your system. It’s not that hard and doesn’t require near as much thought and effort as you are putting in to it. Not to mention you got all these guys stirred up and they already have other more important aldeer issues to worry about. Lol

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 03:11 PM

I'm a nerd who likes to tinker. It's really just an excuse to obsess over something for the next year lol.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 03:11 PM

Idk. There's been so little mention of what it takes to make such a shot. Nobody said anything about verifying how close to zero a scope holds over time. You can kill any deer at normal ranges with a boiler room shot using a rig that won't hold zero within a MOA. It'll move around a little. You'll tweak it at preseason sight-in. That's not good enough for headshots.

Is your rifle, scope, load and mount up to it every time? Awful lot are not. Hardly anyone takes the time to ensure.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 03:34 PM

I check zero frequently, I can even do it a couple of hours before the deer show up. I will be sitting at my shooting range, and the deer aren't bothered by my shooting. I'd check the groups looking through glass to avoid walking down there. I'll probably get a BOG death grip if I go through with this.

I know shooting squirrels is different, but braining them at 70 yards with a less accurate rifle and cheaper glass has demonstrated to me that I can do it. I posted a thread last year on ar15.com about blasting squirrels at 100 yards. It was very similar to this thread, a lot of hate with some useful info sprinkled in lol. Haven't done 100 yards yet, but I have a setup that can do it if the situation every arises.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 03:45 PM

Keep poking holes in my idea howl, it makes me think.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/17/22 04:45 PM

Let's say you have:
-a gun that will put a bullet within a half-inch of POA at the furthest distance with a fouled, cold bore every time and have proven so year-round.(I currently only have one out of several.)
-A large supply of factory ammo it uses to do this all from the same lot (I never have other than 223 match.)
-A bomb-proof mount
-A scope that holds zero dead-on year round and has been proven.

If you have all that then you yourself have to be able to hit from a field position within 3/4" of POA 100%. These numbers aren't exact. It's a practical scenario considering something like a 223 used to a max of 100 yards.

Further out you want something else. I used a 300WM that did sub-half-MOA 5-shot groups reliably with a tuned handload. And I shot it often enough to realize when a formerly proven scope stopped holding zero. This not putting a factory rig together, zeroing it, showing off one 3-shot group and heading to the woods.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 12:54 AM

I'll be sending you a PM in the near future howl. It's the blinky envelope in the top right corner. Pretty sure everyone else would like to see this thread die lol.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 01:43 AM

What do u plan on using as a rest?

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 02:50 AM

I was out of line redgineer with my post the other day. It’s none of my business or concern on how you shoot a deer. It’s a hot topic for me because head shooting a deer put a deep wedge in a friendship of mine years ago. Good luck with your hunting and be safe.

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 09:44 AM

There’s nothing more ethical than a .223 in the eye socket. I’m talking about 30-50yd plot sitting for meat. They can’t duck that quick from my experience

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 09:46 AM

Only shot better than that would be a rage through that big artery in their ass
Posted By: Backwards cowboy

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 12:22 PM

That's what I'm talking about.......lats carry this thread from the best place to shoot a deer is in the head to the best place to shoot one is in the ass! You can't beat aldeer!

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Backwoods cowboy
That's what I'm talking about.......lats carry this thread from the best place to shoot a deer is in the head to the best place to shoot one is in the ass! You can't beat aldeer!

They don't call it the Texas heart shot for nothing slap

Re: Head shots on deer - 12/18/22 05:22 PM

Comments about excitement and timing are valid. It isn't just shooting ability. You have to know deer well enough to know when the brain is coming into momentarily motionless position rather than trying to hit it before it moves out. You should probably be one of the many unfortunates who don't get excited over does anymore.

The utility of head shooting is being able to make it when it is the best shot available or at least as good as any other.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 05:15 AM

I've been got my AR with the Trijicon Scope printing half inch groups consistently with IMI 77gr razor core. It's doesn't have the ideal lock time, but I'm willing to send one through the ribs, and may take one at the head if that's the shot and the deer seems oblivious.

To those who doubt me, we will reunite in hell. You think you're getting into heaven by "sending prayers" on the forum, but that's just virtual signalling. Ultimately you are mean to people, and are going to hell for it. I'm a godless heathen who has spent my whole life learning how to swim laps through fire and brimstone. I will track you down, and rape you for all eternity. You will beg for me to stop, but there is nothing but time in eternity.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 10:16 AM

I think you are on the wrong site...

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:02 AM

Ummm, STEP AWAY FROM THE DRUGS.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:35 AM

Whatinthecornbreadhell...
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:58 AM

Genuine ignorance.
Posted By: 700ltr308

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 12:03 PM

????

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
Genuine ignorance.

Yeeeeppppp.....and something serious going on deep within....
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 02:03 PM

I have a feeling someone took a sick day at work this morning.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 03:29 PM

its too early for this nonsense
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 03:57 PM

Just when I think the weirdness has maxed out, something like this happens.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 05:27 PM

Bath salts. Sounds like bath salts to me.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 06:36 PM

Somebody done got on the stump whiskey last night.......
Posted By: donia

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13

I was thinking Kratom, but bath salts fits, too!
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 06:50 PM

I have shot exactly two deer in the head. Both were deer that had already been shot, poorly, by others and trailed to where I found them. Both, interestingly, laying in water holes. Both shot with a rifle with open sights that I use for up-close(50 yards or less) hunting. I don’t shoot deer that I’m hunting in the head. Those heads just move too much and if I’m pulling the trigger I want it coming home with me.
On the other hand, I shoot hogs in the head(or more often the head/neck joint) all the time. But aside from the constant movement, hogs don’t exhibit the frequent up/down movement by a couple feet that deer do. It’s several inches at most with a larger target area.
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 07:09 PM

If you wanna shoot one in the noggin, go for it. I have but under the right condition. That last post though has me confused. Hell is nothing to joke around about, and talking about raping men is flat out sick, playing or not.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 07:18 PM

Always interesting when people think they'll be the raper, and not the rapee in hell.
Posted By: EmeraldTides

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 07:29 PM

popcorn

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 07:29 PM

Looks like we might got some Aldeer GOLD in the making

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13

X2...possibly mixed with alcohol and Ambian too... crazy
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 09:22 PM

Ask him how he feels about head shots on big rattle snakes . I’m talkin like heads the size of a washtub . whistle
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 09:26 PM

I've been got my AR with the Trijicon Scope printing half inch groups consistently with IMI 77gr razor core. It's doesn't have the ideal lock time, but I'm willing to send one through the ribs, and may take one at the head if that's the shot and the deer seems oblivious.

To those who doubt me, we will reunite in hell. You think you're getting into heaven by "sending prayers" on the forum, but that's just virtual signalling. Ultimately you are mean to people, and are going to hell for it. I'm a godless heathen who has spent my whole life learning how to swim laps through fire and brimstone. I will track you down, and rape you for all eternity. You will beg for me to stop, but there is nothing but time in eternity.

PRAYERS SENT!

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 09:31 PM

In all seriousness probably time for a mod to put an end to this nonsense and time for redgineer to find a new place to spew his garbage . Break out the hammer

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by duxlayer
In all seriousness probably time for a mod to put an end to this nonsense and time for redgineer to find a new place to spew his garbage . Break out the hammer

Agreed. But everyone seriously send up some prayers for that dude.. Maybe his sugar level is just low..
Posted By: kntree

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 10:22 PM

Juicy

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 10:24 PM

Lol damn .
Posted By: MC21

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:34 PM

This took a weird turn.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by MC21

This took a weird turn.

seriously sounds like you need some mental health help. Please seek help, there is no shame in it. This is just an internet forum if you get this mad about what is said on the internet you may need help.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/14/23 11:50 PM

That’s one of the most f’d up things I’ve ever read on ALDeer. It’s not normal to think chit like that, much less carve it in stone on an interweb forum for all the world to see.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/15/23 12:03 AM

He gone. Reading through this thread I did not expect to read that..
Posted By: Backwards cowboy

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/15/23 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
That’s one of the most f’d up things I’ve ever read on ALDeer. It’s not normal to think chit like that, much less carve it in stone on an interweb forum for all the world to see.

X2

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/15/23 12:14 AM

He’s had quite a few outburst lately that would suggest he has something wrong with him . All are perverse , disgusting , and downright disturbing .
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/15/23 06:41 PM

I would never take that shot. Not that I cant make it (I shoot regularly at our 600 yard range at the farm) but if something goes wrong and I wound deer and am unable to recover it I would be sick. I am not hunting for subsistence. I can buy food at the grocery store so there is absolutely no reason for me to take a poor shot. I have let many deer walk that I couldnt get a good shot.

Others will do different. But people who make these types of shots will inevitably be a little off and just wound a deer, others have mentioned blowing a jaw off, and the death that awaits that deer is horrible.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/15/23 07:29 PM

There's simply no reason to take a risky shot like that in almost all situations
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 12:19 AM

He’s had quite a few outburst lately that would suggest he has something wrong with him . All are perverse , disgusting , and downright disturbing .

I talked to him last night. He said he thought some folks were mean to Jakethesnake so he was mean to some folks. He said what he said was a joke, maybe not a good one but a joke nevertheless. He said he was not doing well with the whole social media thing because some things said bothered him too much. I have no idea about his religious views, i didnt feel lead to ask him. Im pretty sure hes a good enough guy, he just maybe has some issues of some sort with socisl anxiety. He said it was probably best for him to just stay off social media and i figure thats the case for alot of people. I dont know the man well but i have met him in person and talked to him a few times. I had no problem with him. It takes all kinds of people to make a world.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 12:31 AM

To pull that crap out of thin air because he thought folks were mean to Jake?.... loco Strange... popcorn

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 01:43 AM

Who cares it's the interweb
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 01:52 AM

That may be the MOST disturbing thing I have ever read on Aldeer.

My prayer is for you to find a relationship with Jesus Christ.

You may think it's fun and games cracking jokes about hell but it will not be much fun if you should find yourself there one day.

Lord God, forgive him, for he knows not what he says...

...I don't know your name but I'm praying for you.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

I talked to him last night. He said he thought some folks were mean to Jakethesnake so he was mean to some folks. He said what he said was a joke, maybe not a good one but a joke nevertheless. He said he was not doing well with the whole social media thing because some things said bothered him too much. I have no idea about his religious views, i didnt feel lead to ask him. Im pretty sure hes a good enough guy, he just maybe has some issues of some sort with socisl anxiety. He said it was probably best for him to just stay off social media and i figure thats the case for alot of people. I dont know the man well but i have met him in person and talked to him a few times. I had no problem with him. It takes all kinds of people to make a world.

Good on you Jwalker for checking up on him. Many times we see people do things and just assume bad things. I hope he is ok and finds peace. My mental health comment was made out of genuine concern. In my line of work I deal with people struggling with mental health every day.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 01:06 PM

STILL no excuse for going full retard.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/16/23 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
STILL no excuse for going full retard.

Never go full retard
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/17/23 12:35 AM

Dude playin a dude disguised as another dude
Posted By: kntree

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/17/23 01:51 AM

Doesn’t sound like it’s directed to anyone directly, I say let the man be with it. Still juicy though.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/18/23 11:36 AM

Just sounds like an immature troll. Probably posted the head shot crap just to get a rise out of people. Then used their responses as fake motivation to go full retard. Probably thinks he pulled off something funny. The internet is sadly full of pathetic ass wipes like him.

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 04:59 AM

I will be spending the next year setting up a rifle and practicing at various ranges. This isn't something I'm taking casually.

Comparing head shots to bow hunting is just plain ignorant...
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kodiak06

Comparing head shots to bow hunting is just plain ignorant...

Yes, yes it is.
Posted By: mortgageman

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 10:17 PM

The thing of the matter is that you have to shoot em in the head you have a baby dick. No one with a man's dick would even put some kind of bs on here. All you responding to this tells me alabama is slap full of baby dick 6.5 creedmore deer bloodying bunch of no good huntin never killed nuthin but the neighbors dog window lickers. It makes me sad

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by mortgageman
The thing of the matter is that you have to shoot em in the head you have a baby dick. No one with a man's dick would even put some kind of bs on here. All you responding to this tells me alabama is slap full of baby dick 6.5 creedmore deer bloodying bunch of no good huntin never killed nuthin but the neighbors dog window lickers. It makes me sad

Welcome!

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Welcome!

Yeah , we got room for another jack ass

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Welcome!

Joined almost 2 years ago and this is his first post?

popcorn

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 10:54 PM

My popcorn. Is bigger. Lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/22/23 11:47 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:05 AM

From the mountain tops of Pelham?

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
From the mountain tops of Pelham?

Hmmmm
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:14 AM

Wow - somwthing told me to stay off this thread - should hav listened to my gut 🤣🤣

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:14 AM

Opening of turkey season has got folks feeling froggy...... laugh

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 10:19 AM

I'm guessing side profile for when they were put in Aldeer Jail in the past

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
Wow - somwthing told me to stay off this thread - should hav listened to my gut 🤣🤣

You would've missed all the excitement.......some of the stuff people post is just hilarious......
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/23/23 01:47 PM

^^^
😀 yea
I hav tried to limit my appearance or stay off some threads. I about hav stoped going to sports thread amd i lov talking sports both AU and Bama. It gets nasty there and sometimes i stupid enough to join n which is not like me - i no bettr. Trying to keep myself from acting stupid and best way may b limit my access to the rough areas so i dont jump n to nasty like a duffus. I jump way to easy sometimes 😀
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Head shots on deer - 03/24/23 01:09 AM

Just checked this thread for first time just because I thought it would be one of those ignorant threads where people show their ass. I went through all 8 pages. WOW!!!! Just WOW!!
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/06/23 05:52 PM

Hunters that take part in head shots, do so for their ego. It's not ethical. Margin of error is too small. If I were to run a hunting club, purposeful head shots would be against the rules and if a member did it, his ass would be gone.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/07/23 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
Hunters that take part in head shots, do so for their ego. It's not ethical. Margin of error is too small. If I were to run a hunting club, purposeful head shots would be against the rules and if a member did it, his ass would be gone.

Yeah yeah yeah

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/07/23 03:25 AM

Good thing you're not running a club.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/07/23 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I don't let people head shoot elk with the damage tags I manage and those that dislike it or even mention it don't get a tag lol.
Sux watching an animal starve to death and not being able to legally put it down and we've had it happen twice. Both had the jaw shot off basically

A couple tag holders were allowed to under supervision on the farm land down south simply because the town elk crossed the river and would just stand there at 40-50yds. Shot 7 on day and the herd never ran lol. That herd had 21 cows, 1 left the farm alive.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/07/23 03:33 PM

Somebody needs to put a stake in this thread.
Skinny - can we make a new forum for *ssh*lery/trolls and just drop all these head/neck shot threads in there?

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/07/23 04:16 PM

I don't let people head shoot elk with the damage tags I manage and those that dislike it or even mention it don't get a tag lol.
Sux watching an animal starve to death and not being able to legally put it down and we've had it happen twice. Both had the jaw shot off basically

A couple tag holders were allowed to under supervision on the farm land down south simply because the town elk crossed the river and would just stand there at 40-50yds. Shot 7 on day and the herd never ran lol. That herd had 21 cows, 1 left the farm alive.

Not advocating for head shots and never done it myself. But I've known a few hunters who are more than capable of doing it.

My remark was more about silly arbitrary rules by people running so many clubs in Alabama.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/08/23 08:06 PM

I was right about thisasshole several pages back. Tried to be nice for the dumbass comment and apologized for it. My bad.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/09/23 04:35 PM

OP was trying to instigate interest in his topic to get replies on how to actually do a thing that most people cannot do. The way to curtail threads on headshooting is to acknowledge it can be done. Then address what are the hurdles to so doing. That's why I posted those two threads with videos on headshots. When a person realizes just what they would attempt and how far they are from being ready, they are more likely to not take headshots.

Most hunters in AL and elsewhere have no business taking head shots because they do not shoot enough targets nor game. They also do not understand nor maintain their equipment well enough to ensure it will perform to the necessarily high standard.

Claiming headshots should never be taken is just defending ignorance and lack of skill. Or is it acknowledging general ignorance and lack of skill?

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/10/23 02:14 AM

Claiming headshots should never be taken is just defending ignorance and lack of skill. Or is it acknowledging general ignorance and lack of skill?

Or how about there's just no f#*%ing reason that anyone has to do it. I don't give a rats ass how good you can shoot a rifle. Deer are constantly moving their head around even when standing still. If the deer moves it's head just as you are squeezing off the shot then how accurate your rifle is and how well you shoot it don't amount to a pile of pig chit. If you can't see that then take your own advice about acknowledging general ignorance.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/10/23 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Todd1700

Or how about there's just no f#*%ing reason that anyone has to do it. I don't give a rats ass how good you can shoot a rifle. Deer are constantly moving their head around even when standing still. If the deer moves it's head just as you are squeezing off the shot then how accurate your rifle is and how well you shoot it don't amount to a pile of pig chit. If you can't see that then take your own advice about acknowledging general ignorance.

Blah blah blah

Do really think some of us give a sh!t what you believe . I blow the nose off one , he starves to death . He lives long enough he'll starve to death . So whoopee sh!t.

You wanna hold yourself high and mighty ethical then why do you cause any animal pain. I guess it ok to kill as long as ever body does it your way . BS

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/10/23 03:44 AM

Blah blah blah

Do really think some of us give a sh!t what you believe . I blow the nose off one , he starves to death . He lives long enough he'll starve to death . So whoopee sh!t.

You wanna hold yourself high and mighty ethical then why do you cause any animal pain. I guess it ok to kill as long as ever body does it your way . BS

You are certainly free to be as big a lowlife POS as you wish to be. Just reading your posts it sounds like that's your true calling.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/10/23 04:02 AM

Blah blah blah

You are certainly free to be as big a lowlife POS as you wish to be. Just reading your posts it sounds like that's your true calling.

LoL, you just don't know . thumbup

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/10/23 01:35 PM

Those are good points about lack of caring about shooting ability being a reason not to and also that an excitable or emotional person will have difficulty.

If you get emotional about whether the animal is going to move as you shoot you never get to discuss when to break the shot. It isn't when they animal has held it's head motionless for a time and you have to count on it not moving suddenly. You have to have spent lots of time observing deer. You have to know what it does, what it will do and where it will put it's head next.

Again, that's why I posted those videos. Those fellows are right professional about it.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/11/23 01:19 AM

Well dang! Y'all done run my friend off with the head shots. Let me say this about the ethical issue.

I think its funny that some talk about ethics but think shooting a hog behind the ear is ok.. or stabing an arrow through a deer hoping its gonna hit perfectly. I laughed at that. And a lot of y'all must have a weak stomach like a bunch of girls. You can't be shooting pigs in the head or arrows then preach about ethics. That's BS.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/11/23 02:39 PM

Not advocating for head shots and never done it myself. But I've known a few hunters who are more than capable of doing it.

My remark was more about silly arbitrary rules by people running so many clubs in Alabama.

Roger. I can do it but won't. Those things starving are just pitiful. What sux is the Trooper I typically deal with lives next to the farm so, any shot could mean getting seen/checked so, just SSS doesnt work.
It's not worth risking the damage program for the properties.

Re: Head shots on deer - 04/11/23 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake

Well dang! Y'all done run my friend off with the head shots. Let me say this about the ethical issue.

I think its funny that some talk about ethics but think shooting a hog behind the ear is ok.. or stabing an arrow through a deer hoping its gonna hit perfectly. I laughed at that. And a lot of y'all must have a weak stomach like a bunch of girls. You can't be shooting pigs in the head or arrows then preach about ethics. That's BS.

Comparing a head shot on an animal to bow hunting is apples and oranges lol. Just the target size alone is the first obvious difference. There's more animals wounded by guns annually than bows and that's not including head shots.
There's no comparison to the two.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM