Aldeer.com

First Kill! Thank you Aldeer

Posted By: ShootemupTex

First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 12:51 PM

I got my first at about 80 yards yesterday with my T/C Hawken Muzzle Loader, open sights at about 80 yards. Doe #1 (from my previous post) showed up like clock work. She gave me a good broadside so I didn't wait for the rest of the does. I spent all day Sunday at the range with the smokepole. I got it zeroed at 50, 100 was another story. One click was 6 inches high, one click down was 4 inches low. I forgot to adjust and I caught her in the spine right above the shoulder. She dropped instantly, but was parlyzed and not dying. After watching her for about five minutes or so, I knew what needed to be done and reloaded the Hawken. She was looking at me and confused as to why she couldn't get away. I wanted to end it quickly so I took a head shot, not realizing how small the brains are on a deer from about 10 yards. It did not dispatch the deer like I hoped, so I pulled out my side arm, tried again with slighlty better results. I put the last 9mm in the boiler room like I should have done in the first place and that ended things. I found where it hit the bottom of her heart during cleaning. I gave her a few minutes while I hauled gear back to car.

I had about 200 yards to drag her across a green field to get her home. That was a lot tougher that I thought. I weighed her at home about got about 80 pounds. I tried just pulling her by the legs and finally tied some paracord around her legs and dragged. I was grueling and the toughest workout I've had in a long time. I cannot imagine pulling a buck out of bottom right now.

I started to try and gut her there at the car. I was so out of breath and overheated, it made more sense to just throw her in the drunk and get her home (about 20 minutes) and do the deed there. Once I got her on the back porch, I did an OK job gutting her. Started at the bottom and did not puncture anything. Once I got through the muscle the guts just wanted to come out. Skinning was a little hard, I know I could do better, but I managed to get both hind quarters, backstraps, and one shoulder. The shoulders just didn't have a lot of meat or it seemed not to seperate fom the hide. I am not sure, but I was so exhausted it didn't seem worth the effort.

I got her from hoof to cooler in a little under 2.5 hours. It was warm about 65 degrees. I am hoping for not spoilage. Is there anything to look for?

I hope the picture comes through. I appreciate all the help, advice and even admonishment this forum has given me over the last year +. I look forward to any tips to make the next one go smoother.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf8w72exyern1md/20221205_165252.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 12:56 PM

Congrats thumbup
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:00 PM

Good job
Next time keep in mind they a lil lighter to drag without them guts inem
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:01 PM

Congrats Tex
Posted By: Semo

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Good job

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Good job
Posted By: BOFF

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:11 PM

There's a lot more to "hunting" than most realize, to do it "properly".
It's hard work but rewarding, and often exhausting.

Reads like you are on the right track and learning what it is all about!!

Congrats! That's a great doe!!
May there be many more!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:24 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Buck_TrackingAL
Congrats Tex
Posted By: Mansfield

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:30 PM

Congratulations If you have somewhere to hang the deer to clean it you can leave the guts in. I don’t ever gut a deer. But saying that I don’t have to drag a long way that might be a different story.
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:36 PM

Congrats on your first one. Good read.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:38 PM

Congratulations!!!
Posted By: Booger

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 01:46 PM

Great work Tex. Trial and error is a great way to learn, because it’s hands on and mistakes will educate you. When hunting alone, gutting a deer or hog is always best if you’re not going to pack it out. I like to drag using my climbing harness. That way I can lean in and pull. A four wheeler for deer retrieval maybe in your future. Keep hunting and keep learning. BTW, the meat should be fine.
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:06 PM

Congrats. The meat should be fine.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002
Congrats thumbup
X2... beers
Posted By: YB21

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:19 PM

The question is, was there someone there to wipe the blood on your face or did you do it yourself? Congratulation Tex! I can't be proud of you- I had no hand in your success but I am very proud for you. Welcome to the brotherhood.
Posted By: jb20

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:23 PM

Congrats...that's why I never turn down someone calling to help em drag cuz I know I need help sometimes on big deer it's hard work, especially in thickets and swamps
Posted By: jmudler

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:25 PM

great job!

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:25 PM

I got about 24 pounds of meat out of her. I rinsed and cleaned her up a bit this monring and got her in a trashbag to age in the fridge. Should I salt or not?

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by youngbuck21
The question is, was there someone there to wipe the blood on your face or did you do it yourself? Congratulation Tex! I can't be proud of you- I had no hand in your success but I am very proud for you. Welcome to the brotherhood.
No unfortunately there wasn't, but I am ok with it. I was too worried about having a heart attack dragging her last night.

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ShootemupTex
I got about 24 pounds of meat out of her. I rinsed and cleaned her up a bit this monring and got her in a trashbag to age in the fridge. Should I salt or not?

I'd stick her in a cooler and carry to a processor myself
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 02:42 PM

Congrats Tex. Nothing like the very first one
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 03:47 PM

Congrats Tex! Pulling that dead weight is tough. Might want to look into a deer cart or jet sled. You’d be surprised how much easier that makes things.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 03:51 PM

Congrats on #1, first of many.
Posted By: billrv

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 03:56 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 04:21 PM

Congratulations! Yep, you learned...go to the sidearm to finish a deer if available.
Posted By: 280MtnRifle

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 05:32 PM

Congratulations!!

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jb20

I'd stick her in a cooler and carry to a processor myself

Just deboned everything except one of the hams that just looked too good. Salted everything covered with a bit of foil and aging in the fridge. Looks like meat now!
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 06:58 PM

Woohoo! Congrats!
Posted By: redgineer

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:12 PM

Congrats, you earned it Tex!

I prefer to drag them out whole if I can. I like having running water to rinse my knife and hands. Keeps me from getting everything covered in hair. I workout more than the average Alabamian though. In that weather, I try to get the guts out within 3 hours. It'll be fine for a few more hours once you get the guts out.

The shoulders come off easy if you cut behind the scapula, and there's a good bit of stew/grind meat on them. I recommend practicing on rabbits and squirrels. Everything comes apart the same way, it's just smaller and you can get more carcasses to practice with.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:17 PM

Soak in salt water. Imo it's the only way.

Any time before you cook. 3 or 4 days is good.

I pull mine out froze put in salt water over night , Rinse off and cook .

Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:21 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: TDog93

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:38 PM

Heck yea - happy for u and congrats

U can make your own but I ordered a Glens deer drag and it helped me a heck of a lot - their May b bettr devices but that what I use for dragging - it’s like a ski handle rope

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:38 PM

I leave my quarters with the bone in and freeze them until I'm ready to cook. It saves me a lot of work at the time, and the fat and silverskin protect the meat from freezer burn. No need for vacuum sealers when it's still wrapped in nature's bag.

When I'm ready to cook one, I put it in a cooler with salt water for a few days. That gets the blood out and "ages" the meat while it thaws.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 07:45 PM

Congrats Tex. I keep a drag rope with me and toilet paper for the tracking when necessary. They'll get easier from here. I've been deer hunting for a long time and still learn something every time I go to the woods.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 08:20 PM

Congratulations on your 1st!
Posted By: HillHunter

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/06/22 09:19 PM

Nice! Your struggles reveal your determination. You did good. Now is time to savor getting your first deer and not worry much about what may have been done differently. Getting out there and doing it yourself will teach you a lot.
Posted By: rhino21

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 12:00 AM

Congrats buddy! You are hooked now!!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 12:14 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 12:30 AM

Way to go Tex, you learned a lesson with you deer kill we all have learned and was explained to me by an old timer. I will try to quote him nicely on a public thread but he said Son deer hunting is like masturbating, it fun while you do it but sooner or later you end up with a mess on your hands. Congrats again hope you kill many more
Posted By: tpageal

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 12:35 AM

Congrats. Like others have mentioned, killing them is a lot easier than the remaining work.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 01:43 AM

Congrats man!! I think we all were pulling for ya!! I was reliving my first deer kill, a little spike, as I was reading your story.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 02:39 AM

Here's lesson #2. Shoot does where you can drive and pick them up without dragging. laugh

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Here's lesson #2. Shoot does where you can drive and pick them up without dragging. laugh

Very good advice.

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 03:23 AM

Don't be hard on yourself over the mistakes you made, you'll learn over time.

Overall, that's quite an accomplishment. Your first deer being one you patterned on public land, then you dragged it out and processed it yourself. Very few people could pull that off, that takes a lot of determination.
Posted By: Tupi

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 12:41 PM

Congratulations, great job , glad to see you persevere .

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tupi

Thanks it has definitely been a matter of will many times. I was telling a non hunter friend that is the most expensive 25 pounds of meat. Probably spent close to 2k on ammo, equipment, and licenses, over the last year and a half, enough hours in the woods to qualify as a part time job. But all worth it.

Re: First Kill! Thank you Aldeer - 12/07/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tupi

Thanks it has definitely been a matter of will many times. I was telling a non hunter friend that is the most expensive 25 pounds of meat. Probably spent close to 2k on ammo, equipment, and licenses, over the last year and a half, enough hours in the woods to qualify as a part time job. But all worth it.

It is to get started but once u get everything u need it'll last a long time, I hardly ever buy anything anymore...now if u join a club or something u probably won't come out on deer meat vs money spent
© 2024 ALDEER.COM