Aldeer.com

Best Custom Grunt Call

Posted By: Bamarich2

Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 02:37 AM

What’s the best ones on the market today? Got folks asking what I want for Christmas this year and thought I’d go for one.
Posted By: JustHunt

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 02:47 AM

Well there’s a man David Leonard that makes a mighty fine grunt call. He’s still a member here but don’t think he posts much on here. He’s in phenix city I believe. I have one myself and it’s the best sounding call I’ve ever had
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 03:11 AM

Old crow…
Posted By: jb20

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by JustHunt
Well there’s a man David Leonard that makes a mighty fine grunt call. He’s still a member here but don’t think he posts much on here. He’s in phenix city I believe. I have one myself and it’s the best sounding call I’ve ever had

He’s a dang good guy too, he sent me one for free few weeks ago just for asking about his bow season this year…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 03:17 AM

Houndstooth walnut deer grunt ain’t bad
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 03:27 AM

Houndstooth sound real good and adjustable
Posted By: daylate

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 03:56 AM

x2 on Old Crow
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 04:10 AM

I’ve got Old Crow and David Leonard custom calls and they both sound and look terrific. Both solid dudes as well.
Posted By: HawkPilot

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 04:51 AM

I just spoke with Mr. Leonard. Beautiful calls. I placed my order.

Rich
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 04:51 AM

Hooks
Posted By: Cjunkin

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 11:47 AM

Big Rack that is on Al deer and his dad make a good grunt call
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/26/22 11:01 PM

I've been friends with David Leonard for about 10 years now. When I first met him,he would always show me cool stuff he made in his wood working shop as a hobby. After 2 years of me begging him to make me a grunt call,he finally did and the rest is history; he ain't looked back since. I've prob purchased 6 or 7 over the years for other people and have a few for myself. It's the best sounding call I've ever used. His are also tunable as well. If you slide the band all the way down the reed,it even makes a great doe bleet. Here's a vid of a 115/120" 8 coming to me on a string 2 days ago 3 minutes after I did a tending grunt sequence. He came to 5 yards and circled my tree 3x. I do not use bait either,so really no other reason he came to me other than looking for another buck.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 01:50 AM

David Leonard is a top notch guy and his calls cant be beat
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 01:55 AM

can I just call the guy on the number listed above?

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by 3bailey3
can I just call the guy on the number listed above?

yes

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 01:59 AM

quote=3bailey3]can I just call the guy on the number listed above?[/quote]

You can text him or call him. Either one. If you can't get ahold of him,send me a pm; I keep in contact with him pretty regular and can pass along the message or give him your number
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 02:17 AM

I bought two from David Leonard recently and they sound superb. Plus they are absolutely beautiful
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 04:19 AM

Just curious what do David’s calls typically run $ ? I’ve never looked into the custom side before.
Posted By: Big Rack

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cjunkin
Big Rack that is on Al deer and his dad make a good grunt call

Thank ya Sir.
Posted By: bward85

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/27/22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
David Leonard is a top notch guy and his calls cant be beat
Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 12:25 AM

I’ve got two on the way made by David Leonard
Posted By: bward85

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Huntn2feed5

You won't be disappointed!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 02:51 AM

Johnny Broadway (RIP) made a good one. I have one of his earlier ones.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by bward85
Originally Posted by Huntn2feed5

You won't be disappointed!

X2!! Mine is with me at all times in the woods
[Linked Image]
Posted By: quailman

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 03:26 AM

My buddy owns Heirloom Game Calls out of Louisiana. He makes very nice calls.
Posted By: Shotts2000

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Madmax0818
Just curious what do David’s calls typically run $ ? I’ve never looked into the custom side before.

David’s grunt calls are $50 + Shipping. He has some Trappers that are a little more complex glueing patterns. They are $75 + Shipping. I just ordered one of each. He is a super nice guy, I’d recommend him to anyone considering a custom call!
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by quailman

I have 3 from Brian. Traded him a Shark Guard for em. They sound and look great.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 03:54 PM

Read this book- have not purchased call but it was an interesting read:
'https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Talk-Don-Laubach/dp/1931832463
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 07:06 PM

Before ordering a few for Christmas gifts, for those of you that have recently ordered, what is the current turn around time?
Posted By: Huntn2feed5

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 07:24 PM

I ordered yesterday he shipped them and scheduled to be here tomorrow
Posted By: quailman

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
Originally Posted by quailman

I have 3 from Brian. Traded him a Shark Guard for em. They sound and look great.

Hell, didn't know you knew Brian. He's talented.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 11/30/22 08:49 PM

David Leonard..... You will not regret it.... You will return for more..... David Leonard is a great guy.
Posted By: Dubie

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/01/22 02:41 PM

Unless I missed David's # earlier in the thread, would someone post his number here?
Posted By: Dubie

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/01/22 04:41 PM

Nm, just saw the number in the bag.
Posted By: Shotts2000

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/02/22 09:04 PM

[Linked Image]

He finished mine up, and they should be here less than a week from when I ordered them.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/03/22 01:13 AM

How’s the sound of those compared to something like a Houndstooth call?
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/03/22 03:31 AM

Here’s the set he made for me. Peruvian walnut and purple heart, and Peruvian walnut with cherry

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/04/22 11:23 PM

I got a beautiful Carlo Walnut grunt yesterday from Old Crow. It looks great and sounds even better. Part of the reed mechanism is metal and it has a ball to keep the reed from sticking. Tone is adjustable. It'll get soft or loud and maintain a true tone. There's a lot of dead bucks in that call.
Posted By: dawgfrombama

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/05/22 12:27 AM

Houndstooth makes a good one
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/05/22 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
I got a beautiful Carlo Walnut grunt yesterday from Old Crow. It looks great and sounds even better. Part of the reed mechanism is metal and it has a ball to keep the reed from sticking. Tone is adjustable. It'll get soft or loud and maintain a true tone. There's a lot of dead bucks in that call.

Where’d you get it?
That sounds like a killer

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/05/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

Where’d you get it?
That sounds like a killer

Old Crow Custom Calls . 850-503-2458 man's name is Val.

I told him I wanted a simple , darker wood with a sound that will challenge mature bucks. I think he hit a home run.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/05/22 01:45 AM

Val is a great guy, and absolutely hilarious. Also a veteran!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 12:30 AM

Got these 3 headed my way from David, Great guy to work with!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 01:17 AM

I ad two in the mail when I got home. They sound sweet.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey

Proof is in the pudding. I have 4 years worth of videos of bucks coming to my stand looking for the buck. David is a humble guy and will never talk up his own calls,but I'm here to tell you,they are the real deal. Way better than some 20 or 30 dollar call made in China rebranded for primos or realtree. I always try to make mine sound like a young buck,never real deep; that's what I hear most of in the woods so that's what I try to mimic,and it's worked pretty danged good. Enjoy those calls!!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 02:49 AM

Ill tell you something about David Leonard. I dont know him really well nor have i known him for a long time but we have talked some and got to know each other a little. Mr Leonard spends alot of time building these calls to help hunters have success. Thats a pretty big deal to me, putting forth effort to help others be successful. Yes, he gets paid for his work but in my opinion he dont charge near what he could. I believe to him its more about the result than the money. Just a good dude. I would rather do business with him that a sporting goods store, any time every time. Hope yall have the same experience with him. I would definitely give him a try.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 03:06 AM

I agree JW a class guy that builds a great caller! Slayin how do you make that sound you are talking about? soft grunts?
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 03:41 AM

So what we looking like on price? Got a son about to graduate from high school and this and maybe a good turkey call could be a good gift

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 03:47 AM

For the pitch,I'll slide the band (on the reed) to the portion of the reed that most closely resembles what I would classify as a younger buck grunt,ie,higher pitch-if you slide the band farther than necessary ,it will actually sound more like a doe bleat. For the cadence,I'll usually do a tending grunt-short quick grunts,making sure to change the direction I'm facing each time. Deeper buck grunts sound cool and like a big nasty swamp donkey,but I don't always think a buck wants to face the biggest,baddest buck on the planet. Maybe they like going into fights they think they can win?

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 04:26 AM

lefthorn $50 a steal of a good deal for a great caller, I can put you on a great turkey call for a great price also...
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by slayinbucks24/7

Proof is in the pudding. I have 4 years worth of videos of bucks coming to my stand looking for the buck. David is a humble guy and will never talk up his own calls,but I'm here to tell you,they are the real deal. Way better than some 20 or 30 dollar call made in China rebranded for primos or realtree. I always try to make mine sound like a young buck,never real deep; that's what I hear most of in the woods so that's what I try to mimic,and it's worked pretty danged good. Enjoy those calls!!

How do you order one? I messaged him a week or more ago on Facebook and never heard back from him.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

How do you order one? I messaged him a week or more ago on Facebook and never heard back from him.

I know he's been real busy lately,and truth be told,he just got on facebook,so may not even know how to access his messages. I'd shoot him a text or call the number listed on the business card that was posted earlier in this thread. He should get right back with you; I know he just got a new batch of wood last week. Some really good looking stuff to. May have him turn me another zebra wood grunter. Can never have to many

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 01:24 PM

For the pitch,I'll slide the band (on the reed) to the portion of the reed that most closely resembles what I would classify as a younger buck grunt,ie,higher pitch-if you slide the band farther than necessary ,it will actually sound more like a doe bleat. For the cadence,I'll usually do a tending grunt-short quick grunts,making sure to change the direction I'm facing each time. Deeper buck grunts sound cool and like a big nasty swamp donkey,but I don't always think a buck wants to face the biggest,baddest buck on the planet. Maybe they like going into fights they think they can win?

I set mine on the deeper tones , I want to challenge the big, mature studs.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 01:46 PM

I set mine on the deeper tones , I want to challenge the big, mature studs.

In my short tenure hunting (30 years) I have heard less than 10 deep bellowing grunts in the woods. Heard about 10 times as many young bucks grunting in the higher pitch. I'm just saying what has worked for me,and worked very well on our place.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 03:19 PM

After seeing the replies I quickly ordered one last week. Talked to Mr. Leonard via text and had one in my hand by the end of the week. Call looks good, but more importantly it sounds good. Thanks for the recommendations!
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 03:52 PM

His number is posted earlier, but is 706-249-3003. His turkey tube is some count, too.
Posted By: Livintohunt19

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 04:03 PM

Ordered 2 from him last week. Looking forward to receiving them.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/06/22 10:21 PM

Yes he answers text almost immediately!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 01:00 AM

I texted with David Leonard some this evening. He said thanks to everyone who placed orders. He is doing his best to get them all out in good time.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 02:11 AM

Someone must have given him my number, which is great. Thanks. He just texted me.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 02:24 AM

Someone must have given him my number, which is great. Thanks. He just texted me.

I did

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

I did

thumbup thanks!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 02:33 AM

Please, please don't do what I did, he wood burns them to you or if a gift to the person you want to send it to! David typed out what I wanted for a buddy and ask twice if I was sure that was right and I said yep that's it. Right before I went to bed last night I looked at the pic again and I had spelled my buddies name wrong, I texted David about it after 10:30 last night, call was boxed and ready to go, he unpacked it and fixed my mess up! That is a super nice Man right there!
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/07/22 03:55 PM

My wife called David less than a week ago to order a custom Trapper for me for Christmas, it arrived yesterday, that thing is super sweet and sounds amazing.
Posted By: DMC

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/12/22 08:00 PM

I had contacted him after reading this thread, just got mine in the mail yesterday. He was great to work with, could not have been easier.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/12/22 10:17 PM

I'll have mine Wednesday. Would have already gotten it but I asked him to wait and mail it today so it wouldn't get wet. Now it's gonna get delivered Wednesday while it's coming a monsoon. Sheesh
Posted By: Livintohunt19

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/12/22 10:50 PM

I’m headed back from Kansas and should have 2 there when I get home.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/13/22 01:59 AM

Sent a text to the phone # posted on here and…… nothing.
Posted By: pcoladoc

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/13/22 02:36 PM

After reading all the reviews about David, I gave him a text last week. I have an Old Crow grunt from a couple of years ago but I wanted to try a different grunt. David was very easy to work with and very prompt. I know he is swamped with all the orders, but he dropped my grunts in the mail yesterday. Although I havent used the grunts yet, I would highly recommend David.
Posted By: Zzzfog

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/13/22 03:44 PM

I text him yesterday afternoon and got a response. I’m on the waiting list
Posted By: Fishhead706

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 12:07 PM

Val with Old Crow builds great calls; both deer and turkey. He has won a bunch of call building awards and those are typically judged by other call builders. And as mentioned, retired Navy and ridiculously funny.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 12:47 PM

^^^
Sounds like good call - prob next one I buy but I prob good for this year

I really like David - super nice guy and I like his grunt - but when I try the one I just bought w the one I got from David - I like houndstooth grunt bettr - but best I remember houndstooth cost lot more too

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 12:59 PM

How much are David Leonard and Houndstooth calls?

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 02:16 PM

My hounds tooth was like $34 plus tax

Can remember what I paid for David’s last year - but was guessing it was not that much

Davids has an awesome sound and awesome guy to deal with and it may just be mine - but it is very low volume - not sure u could hear it past 60 yards and on a day w 10 plus mile hour wind - doubt u hear that far and when I try to produce more volume - it gives a real jacked up sound 😀

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 02:20 PM

Spoke with David yesterday, I’m like #72 on the list but looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Posted By: foghorn

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/14/22 08:21 PM

I ordered two of them, should be here on Thursday!!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/15/22 04:43 AM

Mine is getting mailed tomorrow
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/15/22 10:45 PM

Called Val at old crow today. He had about 14 he just finished today. I got 2 coming my way. Great guy to talk to.

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/17/22 12:37 AM

Mine came in today. I like it
Posted By: rhino21

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/17/22 12:45 AM

Ordered two and they should be here Monday. David is a great guy to deal with, you will not be disappointed!

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/18/22 02:02 PM

I got my David Lenard grunt out and was using it today n the house - just did not sound that good and if blew hard at all it started squealing 🤣

I got to playing w the Reed and changed it moving the oring - thing sounds dang good now - so I got 2 good ones In this and the houndstooth

On a side note some of u may not know - David also makes a dang solid slate call - he made me one - good dude

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/18/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
I got my David Lenard grunt out and was using it today n the house - just did not sound that good and if blew hard at all it started squealing 🤣

I got to playing w the Reed and changed it moving the oring - thing sounds dang good now - so I got 2 good ones In this and the houndstooth

On a side note some of u may not know - David also makes a dang solid slate call - he made me one - good dude

I have a couple of his turkey call and crow calls
They are excellent

Re: Best Custom Grunt Call - 12/19/22 02:00 AM

He text me a photo of mine Saturday should have it before the rut kicks in, looking forward to using it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM