Might put my 260 in the safe next year and go back to my 243
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
The list of dog trackers is at the top of the page....... just sayin. thumbup

Knock on wood never needed dog when I shot a 243
Posted By: foldemup

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:19 PM

I mostly use one. Remington model 7 SS with Timney trigger, zeiss conquest 3x9x40, 95 gr Bergers. No dog needed
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:25 PM

Not full time, but use the better of the .243s, the 6mm Rem, a good bit.
Posted By: low wall

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:30 PM

Modern bullets make tracking a lot less likely than it used to be. I've been using one for the last 4-5 years, and if I do my job, the .243 has been a good bullet. However, I've long since learned my limitations as a shooter, and leave the wide open fields to the excellent shooters with beanfield rifles.
Posted By: jb20

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:31 PM

I’m a 308 guy but I’ve killed several with a 243…I’d take a 243 rather than anything bigger than a 308 tho…I like short rifles
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:47 PM

Been killing the hell out of 'em with a 6mm ARC the past two seasons. Seen every one of them fall.
Posted By: CNC

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 04:58 PM

You’re just hand cuffing yourself for no reason….There just really isnt a purpose or benefit in using it over other larger calibers iffin you’re a grown man. I honestly think that many folks hunt with them simply for the purpose of trying to prove a point to everyone else…….and that’s kinda a lame reason when the buck of a lifetime is walking straight away from you at 50 yards.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 05:12 PM

Ain't you got some weeds to fertilize or somethin'

gun rofl
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
You’re just hand cuffing yourself for no reason….There just really isnt a purpose or benefit in using it over other larger calibers iffin you’re a grown man. I honestly think that many folks hunt with them simply for the purpose of trying to prove a point to everyone else…….and that’s kinda a lame reason when the buck of a lifetime is walking straight away from you at 50 yards.

Killed the hell out of one running dead away from me when I was young. That argument doesn’t hold water.
Posted By: Semo

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 05:26 PM

My buddy's 11 year old just shot a great buck this morning with a 30-378 Weatherby Mag.

I'm still kicking myself for not making my 10 yr old shoot something bigger. Sure you can kill a deer with one, but I'm done with that round after our youth experience. Should have at least pulled out the 30-30 for shooting large deer. Which is probably why Ive never seen a grown man ever carry one for anything but doe head shots.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 07:16 PM

You can shoot a deer with a 50cal and if you don’t hit them where they live, you ain’t gonna find them. I know of many many deer that fell to a well placed shot from a .22LR. It’s not the caliber, it’s the shot placement. I started out hunting with an old 243 Rem 742 and I killed a load of deer with that thing back in the day when I was really mad at them. Did I lose some? Sure but that was the bullets fault, I made bad shots. I had a buddy that bought a 300 mag and lost the first 3 deer he shot with it. It was to much gun for him to handle and the recoil caused him to develop a bad flinch and boogered up 3 different bucks. We made him stop hunting with it and go back to his 270. Started killing deer again. Shot placement kills deer.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
You can shoot a deer with a 50cal and if you don’t hit them where they live, you ain’t gonna find them. I know of many many deer that fell to a well placed shot from a .22LR. It’s not the caliber, it’s the shot placement. I started out hunting with an old 243 Rem 742 and I killed a load of deer with that thing back in the day when I was really mad at them. Did I lose some? Sure but that was the bullets fault, I made bad shots. I had a buddy that bought a 300 mag and lost the first 3 deer he shot with it. It was to much gun for him to handle and the recoil caused him to develop a bad flinch and boogered up 3 different bucks. We made him stop hunting with it and go back to his 270. Started killing deer again. Shot placement kills deer.

Yeah , I've seen that magnum flinch some people get . Seen a couple scope eyes too. Lol

It's a whole lot of things . I got not nothing against a 243, killed a few deer with one myself.

But , as long as I can handle my big guns I'm staying with then . I don't care how he's standing I can kill him . I don't have to wait on that preferred shot.
Posted By: hitek

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 07:46 PM

This is my 3rd year racking with a dog and the majority of the ones I have tracked have not been shot with a .243. Most with bigger rifles trying to shoot high shoulder or neck. Just my tracking though.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 07:52 PM

40 grains of reloader 17, 95 grain Berger VLD deer 🦌 killa
Posted By: rkt

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 07:57 PM

Hornady superformance .243 95gr sst
Straight killer
Posted By: Super Dave

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Any Bona-Fide full-time .243 shooters on here? gun

When he says full time he's not kidding...... Deer, geese, doves, snapper, list goes on and on......

grin

Sorry Buckwheat couldn't resist. I know I'm an a$$hole.

beers

All joking aside, shot placement and bullet construction is where it's at.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 08:25 PM

Killed truckloads with a .243. The gun is not the problem.
Posted By: globe

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:06 PM

243 is all you need for Alabama wildlife.
Kills them dead.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:10 PM

I got the flinch before over a 300 ultra mag - buddy gav me a steal on it i could not pass up. Got the moon between the eyes to when it knocked my head off

I Lov my 270 and gone try a new 308 some this year

I hav not really give my 243 much of a chance - but I would not be afraid to go w it. Bought it for boy r if the wife wanted to go. Took it to range the other day - it shot good

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:20 PM

Just no reason to go with a .243 over something like a 30-06......
Posted By: dawgdr

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:24 PM

Always funny how women and children have zero issues killing deer stone dead with 234’s. But, hairy chested men need something larger. I have shot 300RUM, 300win, 300wby, 35 Whelen, 270win, 30-06. I got tired of hearing how the 243 just wasn’t lethal enough. So I had one built and started using it almost full time. I see no difference in distance traveled post bullet placement. I load Nosler partitions and I hunt with absolute confidence 0-300 yards. It’s never let me down.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by hitek
This is my 3rd year racking with a dog and the majority of the ones I have tracked have not been shot with a .243. Most with bigger rifles trying to shoot high shoulder or neck. Just my tracking though.

What about the call that goes…….”I know I hit him good but I just cant find any blood…..I don’t think I got an exit hole because of the angle he was standing…..You know I’m shooting a .243”

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

What about the call that goes…….”I know I hit him good but I just cant find any blood…..I don’t think I got an exit hole because of the angle he was standing…..You know I’m shooting a .243”

After watching my son hit that buck twice in the shoulder I dont know if Ill ever shoot that 243 again. Ill give him a shotgun with slugs before we do that.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Originally Posted by CNC

Killed the hell out of one running dead away from me when I was young. That argument doesn’t hold water.

Kinda sounds like the guy over in the bow forum on the shoulder shot thread telling everyone about the one time he blew through both shoulders with a rage……We know how that goes though too don’t we?? whistle grin
Posted By: foldemup

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

He wasn’t shooting a Berger or TTSX grin
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:57 PM

Hats off to you guys that shoot them. I understand it’s a great low recoil round for kids. I’ve just seen too many horror stories to take one to the woods.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by CNC

After watching my son hit that buck twice in the shoulder I dont know if Ill ever shoot that 243 again. Ill give him a shotgun with slugs before we do that.

Get him to come down and back a little and he'll neve loose another. 100gr ammo

He'll run a little ways but he'll be spraying blood out both sides
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie
Originally Posted by CNC

Get him to come down and back a little and he'll neve loose another. 100gr ammo

He'll run a little ways but he'll be spraying blood out both sides

This^ But I like the Hornady 95 Grain SST.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

What bullet were he shooting? 2 hits in the shoulder and it didn’t kill the deer. I would think he didn’t hit anything vital. I hate it for the kid.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 10:33 PM

If the best one can do is hit a Grapefruit at 100 yards then YES by all means go with a 30-'06.....300 short mag.....270. But if you can hit a golfball at 100 yards then the .243 is for you!!

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

What bullet were he shooting? 2 hits in the shoulder and it didn’t kill the deer. I would think he didn’t hit anything vital. I hate it for the kid.

100 gr corlokt
Posted By: woodduck

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 11:41 PM

Here and never had a problem killing deer with it

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/16/22 11:52 PM

I’ve killed literally over 100 deer with that round alone. It’ll kill any whitetail in AL with a shoulder shot. Killed several 200+ Lb bucks with shoulder shots. I generally attempt a double lung with the .243 but I won’t hesitate with shoulder if that’s what I have. A 100 grain projectile traveling at 3100-3200 fps with a lead core is not going to be stopped or deflected by leg bone in a deer. I certainly haven’t found that to be the case anyway.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:12 AM

.243----Just like your first encounter with a Red-Headed Woman....FAST HOT.....and there's FIRE in th' HOLE!!

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

I’ve killed literally over 100 deer with that round alone. It’ll kill any whitetail in AL with a shoulder shot. Killed several 200+ Lb bucks with shoulder shots. I generally attempt a double lung with the .243 but I won’t hesitate with shoulder if that’s what I have. A 100 grain projectile traveling at 3100-3200 fps with a lead core is not going to be stopped or deflected by leg bone in a deer. I certainly haven’t found that to be the case anyway.

When I hunted with mine I started out shooting the Remington 85gr hollow points. It would make a mess of these marsh deer here which is the same size deer we have in Monroe co. I switched to the 100gr Corlokt and it killed them just fine. Not as messy but did a good job killing them. My daughter shoots the 100gr Hornady interlocks in hers. She’s yet to pull the trigger on a deer as this is her first season with it. Every other deer she killed was with a .233 and 62gr fusions. Furthest one went was about 50yds.
Posted By: tripleHarmony

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:30 AM

Have been using a 243 for About 12 years now with no issues. It’s an accurate rifle and most are dead right there or less than 50 yds. Love my gun.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:37 AM

I just lost a doe that was hit with a 290gr .45 slug going around 1500fps when it hit. Blood looked good where it was standing but slowly turned off.

Sometimes stuff happens. Whether it’s a 300 win mag or a .243, it really doesn’t matter sometimes. I don’t really see much benefit with one over the other here in alabama. You might get alittle edge on knockdown, but nothings guaranteed.

Also not a lot of difference between the .243 and almighty 6.5 creedmoor, yet people generally only complain about the knock down of only one of those two.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:54 AM

I shot a coyote in the left eye at about 60yds with a 100gr core lokt. It blew a hole out of the back of its scull about the size of a womans fist. It ran about 100yds after i shot it. Sometimes animals run after you shoot them. Hard to stop it
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 01:10 AM

Youth hunt kid at camp shot a doe with a 308 blew a hole bigger than both my fists and it still ran. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a exit that large.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 01:22 AM

My kids shoot the crap out of theirs. Then I started shooting theirs and now it's about all I carry. Little tack driving Tikka 243 Hornady reduced recoil 87 gr sst. Have not see a deer go over 50 yds and seen a bunch drt and have killed somewhere around 30 between me and the kids with that gun and have not lost one yet.
Posted By: Seminole93

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 01:41 AM

My son has been whacking them with a 90gr nosler accubond
Posted By: low wall

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 01:51 AM

I will say that I shoot a whole lot more 110-130 lb does than 180+ bucks. If I'm sitting on a big pasture, I'll still pick up my .270. The Browning low wall in .243 is just such a nice little package to tote around, that if the weather is decent, it's my go to.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:28 AM

I shot a buck at 250 ish yds years ago with a 150gr 06. He hit the ground and I thought he was dead for him only to get up and stumble over the hill. The next day I went in with my lab and trailed him over 800 yds. I shot him low in the shoulder is what I believe happened. Is it the bullet or calibers fault I didn’t make the shot?🤦‍♂️😒
Posted By: hayman

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:36 AM

I shot a buck at 250 ish yds years ago with a 150gr 06. He hit the ground and I thought he was dead for him only to get up and stumble over the hill. The next day I went in with my lab and trailed him over 800 yds. I shot him low in the shoulder is what I believe happened. Is it the bullet or calibers fault I didn’t make the shot?🤦‍♂️😒

Man sounds like you have a pretty rough history with actually killing deer. gun gun

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
It blew a hole out of the back of its scull about the size of a womans fist.

Or Shaw’s. 😝

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by hayman

Man sounds like you have a pretty rough history with actually killing deer. gun gun

I done told your ass I wasn’t scared to sling lead if I wanted to.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 03:36 AM

I been hunting a long time seen a lot of dead deer . I've never seen a double lung shot deer lost . I think a lot folks has gotten hung up on ,,,,, DRT
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 03:45 AM

I been hunting a long time seen a lot of dead deer . I've never seen a double lung shot deer lost . I think a lot folks has gotten hung up on ,,,,, DRT

Agree. As the great Terry Silver said in Karate Kid III, "If a man can't breathe, he can't fight".

Deer don't live long at all when they can't breathe...and if they run off, they're blowing blood everywhere.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck

Agree. As the great Terry Silver said in Karate Kid III, "If a man can't breathe, he can't fight".

Deer don't live long at all when they can't breathe...and if they run off, they're blowing blood everywhere.

Facts. Double lung deer die quick. Shoulder shots, especially high shoulder, are very risky. Can’t stress that enough.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 05:01 AM

I'll probably get in trouble for this... but I have shot very few deer that werent moving through brush or timber. Most were running full out. At that point it is just hitting the front end of the deer (hopefully). I have never lost a deer Ive hit in over 30 years of hunting with a rifle or shotgun. I have lost bow and a muzzleloadler deer. But my experience in youth season with my sons 243 makes me seriously doubt usiing it again. Those shots he made with anything else would have been a dead deer.

A 243 probably works great when having easy shots out of a shooting house on standing deer, but it is suspect on big midwest whitetailed deer moving in the timber. His first shot was low in the front shoulder and the second was high in the shoulder. Both shots the deer was moving. But, it would have been drt with a larger caliber. No doubt, so we wont make that mistake again. Gonna bring my old 30-30 out of retirement next year or put a 270 in his hands.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 08:31 AM

Low shoulder and high shoulder is both marginal shots. Both have a good chance of missing the vitals if you are forward any at all or low as in the brisket. Im guessing we are talking about the second shot being a follow up shot? If the deer was hit both times while moving through the timber, that tells me the kids is a very experienced shooter and just missed the vitals. I have shot deer on the move and also shot them on the run and I can tell you that I had no idea where I hit them until I recovered them. I’m not saying that you do not know where he hit the deer, I’m just telling my experiences. Shoulder shots can put them down fast if you disrupt the central nervous system. As far as the 30/30, last year I shot a nice buck at about 100yds with mine with 170gr soft points. Perfect quartering to me shot, standing still in the wide open. I put the crosshairs right where his neck meets his shoulders. My favorite shot ever. Squeezed the shot of. The buck jumped about 4’ in the air, spun around and disappeared into the trees. I got down and eased over there and found a few drops of blood where here spun and nothing else. Till this day I never found that deer. I looked for 2 days and watched for buzzards for a week. I have no idea what happened but it did. I checked the rifle and it was dead on at 100 just like it was supposed to be. The only thing I can see is I choked and pulled the shot forward and just went through the flesh of the shoulder, missing the bones and the vitals. I just chalked it up to human error and not the gun. Sometimes chit happens. I said all that to say don’t blame the caliber, blame the shooter. If you hunt long enough it happens especially on deer moving and running through timber.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 08:38 AM

And also, one of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen killed was a 250+ lb mainframe 12pt from Clarksville Missouri. That buck took up the whole bed of the truck. It was impressive to say the least and I’ll never forget it. It was killed with one shot from a Remington 700 243 with 100gr bullet. That’s the only rifle that I ever seen Huck hunt with all the years we hunted up there. He killed good bucks every year we were there but that particular buck was unbelievable. I’m gonna have to find my pictures of that deer. Don’t give up on the rifle. Sounds like the kids can really handle that rifle good and can straight up shoot with it.
Posted By: Cutem

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 12:49 PM

I’ve had great luck with my 243

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 01:21 PM

Low shoulder and high shoulder is both marginal shots. Both have a good chance of missing the vitals if you are forward any at all or low as in the brisket. Im guessing we are talking about the second shot being a follow up shot? If the deer was hit both times while moving through the timber, that tells me the kids is a very experienced shooter and just missed the vitals. I have shot deer on the move and also shot them on the run and I can tell you that I had no idea where I hit them until I recovered them. I’m not saying that you do not know where he hit the deer, I’m just telling my experiences. Shoulder shots can put them down fast if you disrupt the central nervous system. As far as the 30/30, last year I shot a nice buck at about 100yds with mine with 170gr soft points. Perfect quartering to me shot, standing still in the wide open. I put the crosshairs right where his neck meets his shoulders. My favorite shot ever. Squeezed the shot of. The buck jumped about 4’ in the air, spun around and disappeared into the trees. I got down and eased over there and found a few drops of blood where here spun and nothing else. Till this day I never found that deer. I looked for 2 days and watched for buzzards for a week. I have no idea what happened but it did. I checked the rifle and it was dead on at 100 just like it was supposed to be. The only thing I can see is I choked and pulled the shot forward and just went through the flesh of the shoulder, missing the bones and the vitals. I just chalked it up to human error and not the gun. Sometimes chit happens. I said all that to say don’t blame the caliber, blame the shooter. If you hunt long enough it happens especially on deer moving and running through timber.

Unfortunately it’s the same story every time. Rifle was off bullet didn’t perform it’s never the shooters fault it’s the bullet, scope, gun, bow, arrow, broad head. Every deer I’ve lost I hit was my fault that I can remember. I have missed some I remember where my scope or bow got knocked off or loose, but I’m not gonna blame my equipment for my screw up.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:02 PM

Man I hate to be that guy but I going to say he didn’t hit exactly where you thought. Not criticizing because it happens. But in the moment you don’t notice the little things. As far as the deer being dead with any other rifle. I doubt it. Deer with blown up vitals die quick. I went down the magnum road and have come back full circle. Puncture vitals deer dies. Don’t puncture vitals it’s a totally different game.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:18 PM

We all know if you don’t shoot a 597 super ultra magnum you ain’t killing no deers
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:23 PM

In.

I'm sure it does pretty good on the 60lb yearlings most of y'all are killing every Saturday.
Posted By: Parker243

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:39 PM

90% of the deer I have killed were with my remington model 700 243 youth model that I shot growing up. I never lost a deer that I hit and dropped every buck except one that ran 50 yards. 100 grain remington core locks were deadly. I loved that gun.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 02:42 PM

I just kind of slipped into shooting a 243 maybe 15 years ago. I have a Rem 700 youth model, with 95gr Fusion loads. It has killed prolly 60 deer since I stated using it. Never lost one, most drop right there, may go 30 yards at most. Last deer I shot was 150 lbs, one before was 250 lbs and dropped right there. I have no idea what it will do on a 60lb yearling.......
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 03:55 PM

I’ve killed a few with a .243 years ago but I tote a 7Mag for confidence when the occasion arises

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

A few of those. But they are nowhere near the amount of manly men calls shooting big calibers with bad shot placement. "He dropped and was down 10 minutes and got back up and run off. Bleeding good so I know he is dead somewhere"... I know you have had many of these...

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 04:28 PM

A few of those. But they are nowhere near the amount of manly men calls shooting big calibers with bad shot placement. "He dropped and was down 10 minutes and got back up and run off. Bleeding good so I know he is dead somewhere"... I know you have had many of these...

What I have found to be the #1 factor in gun tracking calls is not caliber but folks aiming at the point of the shoulder instead of behind it…..The most common two calls are back-whacks and leg shots and both typically result from shoulder shooters hitting high or low of their aiming point.
Posted By: johnv

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 04:37 PM

What I have found to be the #1 factor in gun tracking calls is not caliber but folks aiming at the point of the shoulder instead of behind it…..The most common two calls are back-whacks and leg shots and both typically result from shoulder shooters hitting high or low of their aiming point

I run into more brisket shot deer than leg shots. I love to track a leg shot deer

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnv

What I have found to be the #1 factor in gun tracking calls is not caliber but folks aiming at the point of the shoulder instead of behind it…..The most common two calls are back-whacks and leg shots and both typically result from shoulder shooters hitting high or low of their aiming point

I run into more brisket shot deer than leg shots. I love to track a leg shot deer

Yep, brisket and back whacks. Hate them both.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 05:45 PM

I brisket shot one once. Tracked it way into the night a drop here and there. Finally found him bedded up and finished him off. Taught me a lesson.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
I brisket shot one once. Tracked it way into the night a drop here and there. Finally found him bedded up and finished him off. Taught me a lesson.

If he bedded up and you finished him off you probably got a little more than brisket.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I just kind of slipped into shooting a 243 maybe 15 years ago. I have a Rem 700 youth model, with 95gr Fusion loads. It has killed prolly 60 deer since I stated using it. Never lost one, most drop right there, may go 30 yards at most. Last deer I shot was 150 lbs, one before was 250 lbs and dropped right there. I have no idea what it will do on a 60lb yearling.......

Lol ,,, you just like eating them ole tough deer
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 08:44 PM

If you make a good shot I don't think it matters much what you shoot em with. The only two deer I have lost were admittedly bad shots. I have killed over 60 deer and only lost two, both with 06 but poor shots. Shot em with a 50 cal. muzzy, 06, 270, 243, 12 guage and 20 guage slugs. I am a firm believer in waiting for a broadside shot or quartering forward shot.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/17/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy

If he bedded up and you finished him off you probably got a little more than brisket.

Not really. The bullet entered in front of the shoulder and exited leaving a big hole in front of the other leg. The deer was shot around 4 pm and we finally found him about midnight still alive.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/18/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Yeah I got my daughter a Ruger American compact in .243 and I end of borrowing it because it is so accurate and shoots so sweet. The dudes rib me about using a youth model but they shut up pretty quick when they see the bucks I bring home.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/18/22 12:50 AM

I have only killed deer with 3 calibers. 30-06,300mag and a 7-08. I have a .243 that i bought for my boys when they were younger. It has killed 4 deer between them and i was there on all. Never thought about it til now, but 3 dropped in their tracks. The one that didn't ran 20yds at most. I only recall one of my deer with the other calibers dropping in its tracks. Never had one go over 100yds but only remember one that dropped.
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/18/22 01:28 AM

I hunt exclusively with a .243 if I’m toting a rifle…I have a youth model Savage that I use for hunting out of a tree stand and a Remington 700 (much heavier with a bigger, heavier scope) that I use when hunting from a shooting house…I shoot 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts out of both rifles.

I’ve been shooting this Remington 700 for 26 years now and it’s served me well. Like some of the others have mentioned: I’ve killed probably 75 deer with a .243 and if a deer gets away, it’s because I didn’t do my part. I either missed the deer completely or made a poor shot. I’ve dropped lots of deer over the years, but that was always accidental. I aim for a double lung shot as well…I have had 6-8 deer over the years that didn’t bleed much: every time, it was due to lack of a pass through (no exit hole). The blood trail would be minimal, but the deer would be laying dead within 100 yards of the shot site
Posted By: velvet tines

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/18/22 10:59 AM

.243 with 100 grain ammo. Plenty of punch if you put where it needs to be.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 12:49 AM

I know a couple guys that hunt with 7 mags and 300 magnums and they flinch so bad they're accuracy sucks and they have lost several deer because of it but wont admit it. Using a big caliber is a macho thing like the little guy who drives the big lifted truck haha.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
I know a couple guys that hunt with 7 mags and 300 magnums and they flinch so bad they're accuracy sucks and they have lost several deer because of it but wont admit it. Using a big caliber is a macho thing like the little guy who drives the big lifted truck haha.

I would say that the opposite is also true. A lot of guys trying to prove something and do more with less. I don’t drive a Miata to lowes to pick up lumber. Can I fit lumber in there? Sure, but I’d rather have a truck.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 01:47 AM

I like the 243. Consistently gets speeds producing hydrostatic shock and I'm more accurate with it than any other rifle I've shot. I'll admit the blood trails are not always the best, but they almost always drop right there or within 30 yards.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives

I would say that the opposite is also true. A lot of guys trying to prove something and do more with less. I don’t drive a Miata to lowes to pick up lumber. Can I fit lumber in there? Sure, but I’d rather have a truck.

Nailed it..... ^^^^^

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 02:12 AM

I like my trucks too. Lol
Posted By: hoggin

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

I’m convinced most folks shoot belted magnums because they can’t shoot and somehow think an increase in flinch is gonna help. If you can’t consistently drop deer with a 22 hornet, you need to learn how to shoot. 243 is way plenty gun for deer in Alabama especially. 22 hornet used to be my go to pig gun and they’re way harder to stop than deer. I guarantee you I’ve killed well over 1000 hogs between the hornet and a 357 lever gun.

My step dad hunted with a 742 243 for over 30 years and killed a ton of deer. I remember only 1 being lost and we found it a few weeks later.

I’ve got a son and a daughter that shoot 243’s, the boy killed over 60 hogs with his in one year at 10 yo with none lost. He’s killed probably 20 deer total with none lost.

She’s probably killed 7-8 deer and over 30 hogs with hers with 1 hog getting away, mostly because wasn’t no way I was gonna walk down that hill and take a chance on having to drag it back up. He ran less than 30 feet before starting to roll down a hill about 900 steep yards into heavy brush and briars at the bottom

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 03:27 PM

If a 243 is a liability, what makes a 260, 7-08, 308, 6.5 ok
Posted By: howl

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 05:54 PM

I've been involved in too many 243 rodeos started by other shooters to bother with it. It is pointless. What I've seen is the 223 does what 243 does. 243 does work with good shooting, but it isn't better than 223. I've never seen anyone shoot a 243 better than a 223 or worse than any of the 308-class .25s or 6.5s wth lighter bullets. So, you may as well step up to the surer performance of a larger caliber and faster cartridge. There's no penalty and everything to gain.

Couple facts, to help:

New 223 bullets over 60gr will amaze you. A fast twist barrel is required, but most people have one now in their AR. For youth shooters your AR is perfect. They don't kick like lightweight 243s do and they kill just as well.

If you use the same powder charge with the same bullet weight in a smaller caliber, you will get less velocity. It's pushing with your hand instead of your shoulder.

So much work has been put into bullet design in the last ten years that you can find effective, reliable deer bullets at lighter weights than before. If you're going to use a 243 because you want a 100gr bullet you may as well use a 25 or 6.5 100gr. It'll be bigger and faster with negligible increase in recoil. A person who likes the way a 243 handles will be better off with 120gr .260 or 7mm08. A good 120gr 6.5mm bullet will do everything you may need on a whitetail.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:18 PM

Those deers sure seem to know when that bullet is 2-300fps faster or a half millimeter bigger. Hell they don’t even wait for a 6.5 to go off these days, just throw up they’re front legs and fall down. They know any 6mm is just a BB gun and laugh it off.

I’m just amazed they don’t come in to a 7mag in a hearse to save time

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:20 PM

Dang looks like they might as well discontinue the.243. I’m now becoming reluctant to even shoot at a coyote with one. slap

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hayman
Dang looks like they might as well discontinue the.243. I’m now becoming reluctant to even shoot at a coyote with one. slap

Don’t do it, he’ll turn into a were wolf and eat you

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:27 PM

rofl

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:32 PM

Predators like a coyote, you better have at the VERY LEAST a 338 lapua or a 375HH or it just ain’t gonna be good for you. You’re handcuffed and edible

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 06:49 PM

Lol ,,, I'm gonna stay with my big guns . Yall use what you want .

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 07:18 PM

There's a threshold for superior performance on all counts. You recognize this because you don't do all your hunting with a 22lr when allowed. You can kill a most things with a 22. It just doesn't work how anyone without a whole lot of time on their hands considers good enough.

Deer show how better performance affects them by what happens after the shot. The effects of bigger and faster are obvious. Being unable to recognize differences proves nothing about deer and cartridges.

If the effect is the same no matter what you shoot, then you could have used anything. There are better choices for reasons of economy and shootability if anything will work. If the effect is sometimes undesirable, then you should use something more effective.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by howl

If the effect is the same no matter what you shoot, then you could have used anything. There are better choices for reasons of economy and shootability if anything will work. If the effect is sometimes undesirable, then you should use something more effective.

If the effect is desirable, you shouldn’t change just because some folks who don’t know talk to much. I personally rarely see that heavy matters. Speed kills. Terminal velocity is a good thing. One of my sons has shot a 270 for the last 15 years, killed a lotta critters, shoots a 95 gr handload Nothing has ever taken a step after he pulls the trigger. NOTHING that he’s pointed it at lived or needed to be tracked. People ask me and him often “why would he shoot those” it’s easy, they hit where he sends them and whatever gets one dies instantly.

People talk all the time about how tough deer are, fact is if more people could shoot and took ethical shots, that wouldn’t be a conversation. There is no factor that counts more than bullet placement, NONE!
Posted By: BCLC

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 07:48 PM

How much deader can a dead deer get if a dead deer could get deader?

I won’t shoot anything less than a .577 T-Rex for pine goats

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 08:17 PM

There's no point in asking if that was supposed to make any sense or not.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:10 PM

It all goes back to,,,,, are you willing to let deer walk if you don't have the so called ethical shot . Lol

Me ,,,,, if I was worried about ethics I'd hunt with a camera .

My advice on it is shot what you can and shot it well.
Posted By: Chiller

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:33 PM

If anyone needs to boost their testosterone and lay down that feminine 243 I will gladly bare the burden and get it off your hands. You wont have to ever worry about being less of a man again when someone ask if you shot that dead deer with a 243.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:39 PM

It all goes back to,,,,, are you willing to let deer walk if you don't have the so called ethical shot . Lol

Me ,,,,, if I was worried about ethics I'd hunt with a camera .

My advice on it is shot what you can and shot it well.

243 n up would make no difference with me lol I’m pretty sure I could kill a deer at any angle with it…
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:45 PM

If the deer is still in one piece after the shot, then you obviously need a bigger gun.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:46 PM

I’ve personally seen more wounded and unrecovered deer from larger calibers like 300 Win mag simply due to the fact that people believe they can just launch projectiles in the vicinity of a deer with a large caliber and if they get so much as a glancing blow they expect a dead deer.

Anyone doubting the killing ability of a .243 as an efficient and effective deer caliber either haven’t shot one for themselves OR shouldn’t be hunting with a rifle to begin with. I just sit back and laugh at all the talk about them not being “enough”. I can’t recall ever losing a deer to my .243. I’ve lost a couple with a 30-06 and .308 which was completely my fault.

To each their own I guess.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

If the deer is still in one piece after the shot, then you obviously need a bigger gun.

Now we’re talking. Kill ‘em, tenderize ‘em, & cook ‘em . . .all with a single pull of the trigger 😉

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 10:26 PM

I’ve personally seen more wounded and unrecovered deer from larger calibers like 300 Win mag simply due to the fact that people believe they can just launch projectiles in the vicinity of a deer with a large caliber and if they get so much as a glancing blow they expect a dead deer.

Anyone doubting the killing ability of a .243 as an efficient and effective deer caliber either haven’t shot one for themselves OR shouldn’t be hunting with a rifle to begin with. I just sit back and laugh at all the talk about them not being “enough”. I can’t recall ever losing a deer to my .243. I’ve lost a couple with a 30-06 and .308 which was completely my fault.

To each their own I guess.

I agree .

But,,,,,, a 243 ain't a 30-06 . You know that , you also know some times just enough ain't worth doddle.

I think CNC point was if you could shot a more powerful gun , why not . I agree with hm about hand cuffing yourself with a smaller caliber .

Ever time I pick up my 357mag rifle I know I'm limited but I take when I want to any way . I've killed eight with it they ain't went 40 yards. If ,,,, I was going hunting some where with unknown shooting conditions I'd be taking my 35 Whelen or 7mag .
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:06 PM

I bought a 243 / Steyr Mannlicher 6 years back and worked up a hot Barnes load for it. I killed two does that year, both around 100 yards, both DRT. I think the trick is just aiming good ... that round had plenty of killing power

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:08 PM

A grown man shooting a 30-06 instead of a .243 is nothing about masculinity…..its about common sense. I shot around 100 deer with a 30-30 before accepting the fact that I was handcuffing myself. It started out as my youth gun and later on in my 20’s it was cool proving to everyone else in camp that you didn’t need a bigger gun……..until the day I had 7 bucks standing at 250 yards and it costed me……Then it just seemed kinda dumb…….Now I tote an aught-six.

********The main reason most guys carry a .243 is just to be different. *******

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:23 PM

If your being sent off to war, and the U.S military gives you the option of taking a handgun or an AR15, I guess the .243 defenders are taking the handgun, because they don’t need that much gun. A perfectly placed 9mm at 200 yards will cause the same effect as the AR15. Dead is dead.
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
A grown man shooting a 30-06 instead of a .243 is nothing about masculinity…..its about common sense. I shot around 100 deer with a 30-30 before accepting the fact that I was handcuffing myself. It started out as my youth gun and later on in my 20’s it was cool proving to everyone else in camp that you didn’t need a bigger gun……..until the day I had 7 bucks standing at 250 yards and it costed me……Then it just seemed kinda dumb…….Now I tote an aught-six.

^yup^

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

I can understand the range factor but your talking bout 2 different calibers now lol I’d shoot one at 250 with a 243…they ain’t nothing wrong with toting a big gun, I love the 06 got a couple myself

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:41 PM

This is better than a farmersonly.com commercial

gun

^^^^ that’s a 243Win, won’t hurt nothing but feelings 🤣🤣🥲
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/19/22 11:41 PM

The main reason I hunted with a 243 that year is because every year or two I buy a new gun, work up a hot load for it, record my best load results, then hunt with the new rifle that season. I stock up on powder, primers, casings, and Barnes bullets for that load. When the SHTF comes I'll be ready.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 12:07 AM

[quote=CNC]A grown man shooting a 30-06 instead of a .243 is nothing about masculinity…..its about common sense. I shot around 100 deer with a 30-30 before accepting the fact that I was handcuffing myself. It started out as my youth gun and later on in my 20’s it was cool proving to everyone else in camp that you didn’t need a bigger gun……..until the day I had 7 bucks standing at 250 yards and it costed me……Then it just seemed kinda dumb…….Now I tote an aught-six.

[/quote

Lotta difference in a 243 and a 30-30. I agree it would be stupid to carry a 30-30 to a place that offered 250 yard shots if you really wanted to shoot that far . Down right ignorant in fact if you had a better option
A 243 on the other hand is deadly as hell at 250+ a good bit

I’ve seen a 260 pound hog drop in his tracks from a head shot with a 243 at 536 yards.

Most folks in this state ain’t never shot paper at 250 yards much less a deer and won’t ever.

I personally never cared for the 06 much, not that anything is wrong with it I just preferred a 270

I most commonly hunted for the last 2 years with a black powder revolver. I limit myself to 60 yards.
I don’t really care if I ever kill another deer. Sometimes I go and don’t even carry a gun at all. I had 2 wall hangers last year within 45 yards and let them walk in hopes that one of the kids or my wife might shoot them

My point being, it don’t make a dideling damn what someone hunts with if it matches their expectations, they know the limitations and enjoy it

Hell with your theory we should all hunt with hellfire missles. What if I see one 4-5 miles down the road I wanna shoot and all I gots a Barrett 50 bmg. Here I am handcuffed my stupid self again

But it don’t take much to kill a deer, not much at all
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 12:43 AM

11 year old toted a .243 Ruger #1 B this afternoon on Cahaba. That gun has killed some BIG deer up in TN. The handloads are ***spicy*** but shot placement is key. Don't be an idiot and rush the shot.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 12:46 AM

If you lay with your wife at night, and she’s feeling kinda randy, would you rather hit her with a .243 or a 30-06? The .243 will certainly get the job done if properly placed, but the 30/06 will make her smoke a cigarette.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 12:59 AM

If you lay with your wife at night, and she’s feeling kinda randy, would you rather hit her with a .243 or a 30-06? The .243 will certainly get the job done if properly placed, but the 30/06 will make her smoke a cigarette.

That’s definitely handled with the 50 bmg cause it’s my only option. Now ask yourself, what does your wife do when she wants the power of a big gun

Some of y’all getting stupid and gone to far to backup I guess
Y’all keep throwing out an 06 like it’s a big gun. Why would you hunt with that wore out old timer toy when so many big guns are available today. Think about what y’all are saying and how stupid it sounds

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 01:00 AM

I’m not posting anything else on the mater, I’m done

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser
11 year old toted a .243 Ruger #1 B this afternoon on Cahaba. That gun has killed some BIG deer up in TN. The handloads are ***spicy*** but shot placement is key. Don't be an idiot and rush the shot.

A .243 and a single shot?
Are you crazy?
You’re luck the squirrels didn’t jump you and take your Christmas tree cake.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by hoggin

That’s definitely handled with the 50 bmg cause it’s my only option. Now ask yourself, what does your wife do when she wants the power of a big gun

Some of y’all getting stupid and gone to far to backup I guess
Y’all keep throwing out an 06 like it’s a big gun. Why would you hunt with that wore out old timer toy when so many big guns are available today. Think about what y’all are saying and how stupid it sounds

Some of y’all are getting spicy, yeah baby C’mon!!

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 05:13 AM

Are you crazy?

1. Yes, congratulations, you have passed the reading test and can google your weapons. With regard to fire power, would you rather I teach him how to headspace and time a .50 BMG and employ it in the defense? Hmmm, 0.50" minus a measly 0.243" = 0.257". That additional .257" might help? Where are my 257 Bob guys? Love that round by the way.
2. No.
3. With regard to lethality, I've seen plenty of grown ass men killed with a .22 caliber FMJ bullet. These bullets are frangible and travel about 100fps faster. My son is not allowed to take DIPSHIT shots. I don't eat Christmas tree cake.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 05:22 AM

^^pretty sure he was joking

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by alhawk

Hell I don't know. The Rebs played like dog mess. I just can't abide this bulldoodoo theory that a .243 can't lay a whitetail deer down.My humblest apologies.

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 07:07 AM

Hell I don't know. The Rebs played like dog mess. I just can't abide this bulldoodoo theory that a .243 can't lay a whitetail deer down.My humblest apologies.

Lol I don't think any body said they couldn't .

Re: .243 Shooters - 11/20/22 05:34 PM

Are you crazy?

1. Yes, congratulations, you have passed the reading test and can google your weapons. With regard to fire power, would you rather I teach him how to headspace and time a .50 BMG and employ it in the defense? Hmmm, 0.50" minus a measly 0.243" = 0.257". That additional .257" might help? Where are my 257 Bob guys? Love that round by the way.
2. No.
3. With regard to lethality, I've seen plenty of grown ass men killed with a .22 caliber FMJ bullet. These bullets are frangible and travel about 100fps faster. My son is not allowed to take DIPSHIT shots. I don't eat Christmas tree cake.

Guess I should have added a smiley face or something.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM