Aldeer.com

Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder

Posted By: Highlander

Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 05:21 AM

Is it to late to put out a timer feeder or should I replace the head with a gravity feeder? I was told its to late for timer feeder because its loud and will scare Deer. What's everyone's take on the subject?
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 06:36 AM

Timed feeders become a dinner bell when used properly.
Posted By: filespinner

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 10:40 AM

First few times it goes off, they will about break thier legs trying to get out of the field. It will take a little while but they will get used to it.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 12:41 PM

It will b a getting use to it period

I need to go to timer - but too late for me to start now - May in December

Everybody deer different - my Clarke county deer or just now getting use to gravity feeder good and I hunted here 3 years

Heck - my deer scared of cameras - not all but some - Camden not but lot of my Clarke deer are

If I was going to do it - I would not wait any later - thinking about going to timer in December in the lull but May wait till next year
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1

Only for the hogs in my area. Can't see a deer near them now. Quit running the feeders all together.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 02:37 PM

This^^^
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 02:41 PM

After a couple of weeks they treat them like dinner bells

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 02:49 PM

Y’all got big deer running to it like a dinner bell?

If u do - somebidy must be letting them out of a pin 🤣🤣
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 04:54 PM

I don't usually start my timed feeders until about middle of October. It doesn't take long before the deer to start arriving right before the feeder goes off. If they're standing right next to it when it goes off, it might startle them and they run to the other side of the field but then go straight to the feeder. With all of the competition, they know they'd better get theirs before it's gone
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 05:22 PM

Don’t have big bucks come to my feeders, spin or gravity, but on the rarest of occasions. Does will come a little early and I watched a yearling stomp at the feeder until it spun last year. I only have mine spin about 1 or 1.5 sec and throw a couple pounds. I also start the feeders up mid October with a one second spin max. The deer are on acorns at that time but they get used to the sound real quick.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/01/22 06:59 PM

What’s hilarious is when an eager beaver has its head right under the feeder and it goes off.I had 9 does waiting at feeder second day it got full. Mine are well trained and most days when the feeder goes off the doe train shows. Sometimes hauling arse to get there first. In my opinion the spinner is for the girls and the girls are for the boys. Don’t care if bucks eat at feeder they will come looking for the girls who do.

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/02/22 04:02 PM

I'm going to set the feeder up Friday on timer so the Deer should be used to it by the 15th. What hat do you think?
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/02/22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by riflenut

Only for the hogs in my area. Can't see a deer near them now. Quit running the feeders all together.

I’ve had timed feeders for two years. I gave them all away last month. About 75% of my mature bucks and a good percentage of does wouldn’t have a thing to do with them even after all that time. Several bucks would linger in the background occasionally but never would get remotely close to them. Now that they’re gone I’m getting pics of deer like I should be. They work great on some places. Not so well on others.

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/02/22 06:46 PM

^^^^
Exactly

I use to hunt FL and Arky for years - both areas fed corn legally - both areas the hunters said the same thing - ain’t to mature r good buck gone come around electric feeder much - the motor noise gets em

And if u get one hanging around one - U hav a less spooky deer than most

Hard enough to acclimate to gravity
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/02/22 11:02 PM

I think you got to be on a 4 year plan with them to kill mature bucks on them. If they are raised on them they won’t have a problem with them. Mature bucks don’t like them where we hunt but this is the first year with them. 20 miles up the road my BIL has 4-5 year olds turning the spinners with their noses to get more corn out 😂
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 03:19 AM

[Linked Image]

This is the problem with a gravity feeder. This camera will take a pic every three minutes tonight because there wont be three minutes go by that theres not a deer standing there eating corn. I do get a few daylight pics every day. But all night theyre standing there eating corn. Does that mean its making them nocturnal? No, it dont. If theyre not standing at that feeder all night, theyll be milling around that 10 acre field eating something. But as long as theres corn there, therell be deer there eating it. Right now theyre eating about 225lb/week but itll go quicker the colder it gets. I would like to cut it down to 20-25lb/day. I cant do that if its readily available.

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
[Linked Image]

This is the problem with a gravity feeder. This camera will take a pic every three minutes tonight because there wont be three minutes go by that theres not a deer standing there eating corn. I do get a few daylight pics every day. But all night theyre standing there eating corn. Does that mean its making them nocturnal? No, it dont. If theyre not standing at that feeder all night, theyll be milling around that 10 acre field eating something. But as long as theres corn there, therell be deer there eating it. Right now theyre eating about 225lb/week but itll go quicker the colder it gets. I would like to cut it down to 20-25lb/day. I cant do that if its readily available.

Awesome picture and my plan is to have timer go off around 7:30am and 4pm.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 04:40 PM

Walker I asked that guy he said 50 a drum
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 04:46 PM

This one wasn’t scared of that feeder.
/postimg.cc/gwfMyLZ3][Linked Image][/url]
postimg.cc/hQ0pqC30][Linked Image][/url]

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
This one wasn’t scared of that feeder.
/postimg.cc/gwfMyLZ3][Linked Image][/url]
postimg.cc/hQ0pqC30][Linked Image][/url]

WOW, now that's a nice Buck right there.
Posted By: redgineer

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 07:01 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the deer in your area. If you have neighbors blasting fawns off a corn pile, they probably won't come to the feeder in daylight.

One problem I constantly see is people with small or crowded properties that want to hunt like they see on Outdoor Channel. They should look at the prices for those clubs and realize that style of hunting is not possible for most people.

I pulled all my cameras except for the ones at camp and likely entry points (patterning meth heads). I would always get one picture of a deer staring right at the camera within a few days of placing. After that, nothing but the occasional feral dog. I may try hanging them higher up to see if that makes a difference next year, for now I'm just gonna minimize my presence.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 08:40 PM

Habitat has a lot to do with it. Great habitat, less need for supplemental feed, less usage. Poor habitat, gotta have feed, more usage. I’ve seen that on a lot of properties.

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
Walker I asked that guy he said 50 a drum

10-4. Thanks

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/03/22 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Habitat has a lot to do with it. Great habitat, less need for supplemental feed, less usage. Poor habitat, gotta have feed, more usage. I’ve seen that on a lot of properties.

I think foods getting kinds scarce around here. They been eating alot of the lower leaves on our peach trees. Seem to like some varieties more than others. Some rows dont have any leaves on bottom. This year is the first time ive seen that late summer/fall. It happens in spring with new growth but not fall. They emptied my feeder two days quicker this time. I filled it up today

Re: Gravity Feeder vs Timer Feeder - 10/04/22 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Originally Posted by Mbrock

I think foods getting kinds scarce around here. They been eating alot of the lower leaves on our peach trees. Seem to like some varieties more than others. Some rows dont have any leaves on bottom. This year is the first time ive seen that late summer/fall. It happens in spring with new growth but not fall. They emptied my feeder two days quicker this time. I filled it up today

They have about cleaned the leaves off my Peach Tree too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM