Aldeer.com

Shed hunting.

Posted By: CHOOTEM378

Shed hunting. - 02/10/12 12:56 AM

Does anybody know a good month to start looking for sheds in north Alabama. And what month will bucks start dropping their antlers? Thought about making a rack trap but I've heard that they can actually hurt a deer if the antlers aren't ready to come off and deform the antlers when they grow back.
Posted By: CD

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/10/12 01:13 AM

April. I've found a bunch in March, but a whole lot more in April. CD.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/10/12 01:38 AM

A good antler trap is not to pull antlers off. It is to knock the loose ones off. Look near streams ,ditches and fences that deer jump for antlers.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/11/12 06:37 PM

I seem to find most of mine on the edge of thickets. Down here in LA, I won't start finding em till late April. Right when the rattlesnakes start crawling around real good.
Posted By: Wool

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/11/12 08:33 PM

I found two yesterday.
Posted By: Calcium

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/11/12 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Wool
I found two yesterday.

This year sheds??
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 05:29 AM

I don't know where Wool is, but at Choccolocca WMA, they sometimes loose them before hunting season is over. I found a fresh dropped one a few years ago in mid February in Russell County near Fort Benning.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 01:42 PM

Like the username
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 02:03 PM

CDs on it in Jackson Co., most from March till mid April. As always a few are earlier.

Originally Posted By: metalmuncher
I don't know where Wool is, but at Choccolocca WMA, they sometimes loose them before hunting season is over. I found a fresh dropped one a few years ago in mid February in Russell County near Fort Benning.

Glad you posted that^^^. I have trail cam pics of bucks that have cast first couple weeks of Feb. I know of one occasion where a hunter shot one the last week of season and an antler pulled off. Good arguments for our season NOT to run into Feb. Our deer have been harassed for 3.5 months and been through both primary and secondary breeding periods, time to give them a rest starting Feb.1. Carry on.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 04:06 PM

2Dogs, I don't know what part of Alabama you are hunting in, but I'm guessing the North end. None of us in South Bama are wanting to change the dates of deer hunting in North Bama, just the South end. Also the proposed date changes would take off two weeks in the early part of Dec and add them to the first two weeks of Feb so there is no change in the number of hunting days. The bucks in South Bama are just getting started in their first full rut the last week of Jan in most parts of South Bama.
Posted By: trox28

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 10:16 PM

"The bucks in South Bama are
just getting started in their first full rut the
last week of Jan in most parts of South
Bama."

So that gives y'all about a week or so to hunt the rut. laugh
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/12/12 10:22 PM

I follow, I'm from Jackson Co. and that's the only place I hunt. Instead of saying "our season", I should have said North Alabama season. Carry on again.
Posted By: Morgan

Re: Shed hunting. - 02/13/12 12:02 AM

In Calhoun Co I have got pics of bucks in February with antlers cast. But plently of bucks have been seen during Turkey season still sporting both antlers. I found my best shed to date on memorial day weekend a few years ago. It was in the edge of some hardwoods and had not been chewed on yet so I figured it couldn't have been there long.
Posted By: Freddy

Re: Shed hunting. - 03/17/19 09:55 PM

Does anyone know anyone who has a shed dog for hire in Montgomery area
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Shed hunting. - 03/20/19 01:02 AM

FWIW I seen 140” deer last week on sand mtn still sporting both sides. Should be comming off any time now .
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Shed hunting. - 03/20/19 04:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Between my morning and evening hikes I covered about 9 miles.
Found 2 in 5 minutes tonight at last light. Both left sides, hoping to
Find another in the morning.
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Shed hunting. - 03/20/19 11:31 AM

nice!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM