Aldeer.com

Best double shooting house plan?

Posted By: straycat

Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 01:05 AM

I've sketched out some very rough ideas, but I know some of you have developed some great house build plans.
Anyone care to share pics of what you consider to be excellent double shooting houses? Maybe post a design plan?
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 01:48 AM

Do you know how to frame metal studs? I can send you a set I’ve drawn for a 4x6.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
Do you know how to frame metal studs? I can send you a set I’ve drawn for a 4x6.

Yes. That would be great. PM heading your way.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 03:24 AM

When you get it all figured out, I need three. 😁
I prefer them delivered and installed.
Posted By: leroyb

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 04:46 AM

I build the walls out of 2x2s (ripped 2x4) and OSB. I build them in panels so I can haul them easy and put them up, screw them together on site. cut slits for windows put the cut pieces back in the holes and hinge from the top. Cord from outside window flap to hole above so I can lift and secure flaps from inside. 4x6 x 6' at front with roof slope to back. Door panel in back. Metal roof.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 01:22 PM

Mine are 5X8 , windows are 16" tall plexiglass that slide on tracks. Nice carpeted shooting bench across the front . They were site built, 2x4 framed , gabled metal roof , painted exterior plywood outside. Mine have steps with hand rails.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 02:44 PM

What's the magic window sill height assuming house for kids and adults using old office chairs that may or may not raise and lower?
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/14/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by straycat
What's the magic window sill height assuming house for kids and adults using old office chairs that may or may not raise and lower?

That may be the most important question of all. You get it 1 or 2” too high and life is miserable. The answer is: 1.5” lower than whatever is currently installed at my club.” LOL
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 12:14 AM

There’s no magic number in my opinion. It’s it’s for kids it’s easier to just find a chair that works. I see them all the time on the side of the road people have set out. I’m definitely not to proud to repurpose someone else’s junk. 😂Just another option.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 12:20 AM

Just sit on a chair and measure from the ground to your preferred height.
Posted By: Cactus_buck

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

Just sit on a chair and measure from the ground to your preferred height.

Or get an adjustable office chair. Get it close and use chair as adjustment.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 10:50 AM

Below 40” for kids.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 10:58 AM

I built a 5x5 a few years ago. It’s plenty of room for 2 adults. Too me, a 6x6 is too big in cases where you have to look multiple directions. You can’t see out every window from one position so you have too move more.

Build a 2x6 box to recess the windows.

I prefer trap doors. As long as you close them you can keep the rodents out easier.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 12:42 PM

5x6 is my preferred size for me and 1 kid. I have long legs and hate a box that is only 4' deep, I can't turn in my chair without my knees hitting the wall studs. I have a 6x6 that is also pretty convenient, in that it allows me to scoot to the back wall and stay out of my sons way. I also am able to bring my laptop and get work done in this one while we are getting a hunt in. I just finished a 7x9 that will be in my largest field and should allow me to take all 3 kids when the need arises.

I build all of mine out of whatever material I have readily available. Some are all tin (loud and hot, but will never rot), I have some that are painted plywood and are already starting to show signs of needing attention. I have a couple that are painted OSB they seem to last about the same as the plywood (10 years or so, then start to need attention). My 7'x9' is cedar floored and some of the frame, the walls studs are rough cut heart pine with vinyl siding covering the outside. I prefer plexiglass windows that slide open, shelves in the corners for binos, cups, etc.., carpet on the floor, and a carpeted wide (8-10") shooting shelf at least along the primary shooting window. I have started cutting a V notch in the corner shelves to help hold a rifle barrel so it doesn't fall if bumped. Also I want a door I can walk through, leaning over some is fine, but I do not want to have to crawl in on my hands and knees.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 01:26 PM

Bambam has brought up a good point. I use to be all on the 5x6 and 5x8 train until decided I couldn't see out of the house very well and deer were running up under my windows in my blind spots. I get mine up high and then you can't see out very well. If it's big and you are having to lean over to see outa the windows not good IMO.

Something to consider. For me it, depends on the placement but bigger isn't necessarily better IMO. I have 4 - 5x8's that I built nearly 20 years ago so if you build it right it isn't cheap but they last. I prefer a 4x6 on 12' legs if hunting by myself the majority of the time. Puts the window over 15'.

And I like wood and heavy built. Sturdier is quieter on average I would say.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 08:06 PM

I make mine with a full 4' inside dimension x 6' because I am also fairly tall and needed a little extra knee room and the extra 7" is enough. I build mine in 6 pieces, 4 walls, base and roof that can be screwed together on site. Put up base, 4 walls and drop roof over top. I use a trailer door and put rubber stall matting on floor. This is my last build, affectionately known as "the condo".
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 08:36 PM

I think I am going to design one. Which will be a chore, because numbers come easy, carpentry, not so much.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/15/22 09:56 PM

I am not much of a carpenter either but I figured out how to build one so all the pieces fit. I build the base first on the elevator brackets. Then build front wall and attach to base. Side wall gets built straight off the base and front wall and attached. Repeat with other side then same thing on rear.Basically after front wall almost all the measurements come from just marking cut by the base and whatever it attaches too, if that makes any sense. No tape measure needed much. I built one using carpentry and a tape and the pieces did not match up as good as I would have liked. But I can get one tight doing it my way.
Posted By: JMW

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 02:56 AM

Sportsman’s Condo SC-2.......be done with it for years....

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by BradB
I am not much of a carpenter either but I figured out how to build one so all the pieces fit. I build the base first on the elevator brackets. Then build front wall and attach to base. Side wall gets built straight off the base and front wall and attached. Repeat with other side then same thing on rear.Basically after front wall almost all the measurements come from just marking cut by the base and whatever it attaches too, if that makes any sense. No tape measure needed much. I built one using carpentry and a tape and the pieces did not match up as good as I would have liked. But I can get one tight doing it my way.

I’ve built them on elevator brackets and prefabbed everything in my garage. Took everything to the field and had problems getting everything to match up. Figured out the base was out of square and twisted because the ground wasn’t level. It was a PIA. Next time I’ll be sinking the posts in the ground.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 12:55 PM

I sink the posts, then frame a band around them at about 12' up. I use forks on my FEL to set the shooting house on top. Every shooting house I have built with the elevators has eventually pulled the anchor up and flipped over.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 01:45 PM

Use a mobile home anchor and that problem will go away

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 02:23 PM

I have helped construct 2 onsite. They never went together well. I built one at home a long time ago that was a 4x4. It was solid and air tight, but OSB is not good for the sides.

What I would love to do is built one and frame it and use plywood on the outside and then take it someplace and have them spray foam insulate it. I think that would make it more rigid. And I could probably get away with 1/4 in plywood for the sides.

I got one out at my lease right now that one of the old guys built with pallets, and its heavy, not square and I am trying to seal it up better, and its not working well. I really think next year I need to just pull it apart and start over.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 06:59 PM

Mine have a gabled roof with 3' overhang. Protects the siding and when it's raining yer gun barrel don't get wet.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 07:08 PM

Lockjaw there r u tube videos of people spray foaming surfaces like walls.I think you can buy an attachment with a wide nozzle end for foam can. I thought about doing it and have not.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
Lockjaw there r u tube videos of people spray foaming surfaces like walls.I think you can buy an attachment with a wide nozzle end for foam can. I thought about doing it and have not.

I need something better than using the can and straw. I took 3 out to try to seal the one I am working on up, and it didn't go as far as I would like. Almost no expansion. and at like $8 per can, I need some better results than that.

One of the things that really just chaps my hide is not doing something well. I mean if you are going to do a shooting house, and then plop it right on top of a green field, make sure the thing does more than conceal your movement and put a roof over your head. Seal it up.

These guys who ran my lease before me were awful about putting a house or ladder right on top of a field, but then would say you had to get off the field to see anything. On my biggest field, I wanted to put a house on it 2 years ago, and VP says no, deer refuse to come out in that field during daylight. We put one on it last year since he was on the way out, and people saw deer ALL THE TIME on it. The thing is, we put the house back off the field about 30 yards. And its right by the main road going into the lease to boot. It wasn't like that before last year.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 08:47 PM

Spray foam sounds like a mess in the making and unnecessary IMO. Getting it rigid should not be an issue if built from lumber and done correctly. I frame my walls like a house and thus mine are build like a tank and very comfortable inside and appear to last more than 20 years in their final resting places. In fact I can re-do mine they are not rotten. Possibly get another 10 years from them with new plywood.

Do it right and they are a long-term investment. Cobble it together with scraps and you'll be working on repairs or replacement in short order. That's my experience. I have even used real siding on them. The main thing you don't want is anywhere bugs or critters can get behind a wall or joint that's something to mention and watch out for.

Otherwise there are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to correctly frame and build a project like this. Not cheap but neither is replacing them. And they are still much cheaper to build than purchasing something like a Muddy or Redneck Blind.

Sportsman Condo - I like and cost effective but exactly like being in a big garbage can. Love it or hate it that's the only comparable option that's realistic in terms of longevity.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 09:01 PM

OK So I think what I need to get is a froth pak. Then Take everything out of the shooting house and spray away.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/16/22 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Spray foam sounds like a mess in the making and unnecessary IMO. Getting it rigid should not be an issue if built from lumber and done correctly. I frame my walls like a house and thus mine are build like a tank and very comfortable inside and appear to last more than 20 years in their final resting places. In fact I can re-do mine they are not rotten. Possibly get another 10 years from them with new plywood.

Do it right and they are a long-term investment. Cobble it together with scraps and you'll be working on repairs or replacement in short order. That's my experience. I have even used real siding on them. The main thing you don't want is anywhere bugs or critters can get behind a wall or joint that's something to mention and watch out for.

Otherwise there are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to correctly frame and build a project like this. Not cheap but neither is replacing them. And they are still much cheaper to build than purchasing something like a Muddy or Redneck Blind.

Sportsman Condo - I like and cost effective but exactly like being in a big garbage can. Love it or hate it that's the only comparable option that's realistic in terms of longevity.

Well here is the main issue(s). This house was pulled off the field that was sold. I had to drag it up a road with my tractor to get it on our property. Then the leaseholder arranged with the skid steer guy to put it on the field its on. So its heavy. And its walls are constructed with pallets best I can tell, and then fence slats are used to cover the gaps. So all last season it sat right on top of a field and it stuck out like a sore thumb, because we had to use the skid steer to make a spot for it. And the inside has carpet everywhere, I presume to help with the gaps between the wood slats and the pallets.

This year, with all the new plant growth, its far less noticable. So I don't want to go in there and yank it out, or knock down all the new growth. I basically want to go in, rip out the carpet, and use the froth pack to seal up all the gaps. Then next year I can redo it. I just don't want to be banging around down there now, when I have deer using the green field every day. I have a cow trail coming to it.

Next year I can pull the outside off and redo it. Its in a fantastic spot. A nice clover field in a creek bottom, surrounded by planted pines. I limed it, but the soil test says all I need to add for cereals is nitrogen. I need to add nothing for legumes.

Re: Best double shooting house plan? - 08/18/22 07:00 PM

Here's some pics of mine . The windows and shooting bench is 38" from floor . Bench is 18" deep . Both floors and bench have low nap carpet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM