Aldeer.com

Seed Prices and availability this year

Posted By: Kelly_123

Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 09:24 PM

So how bad are you all seeing the availability and prices for seeds to plant the deer fields this fall?
Rye, Clover, Oats, Wheat, WMS Blends, etc???
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 09:44 PM

I saw this posted on book of faces for a seed store in SW AL Choctaw Cty. It’s the first price list I have seen this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 09:45 PM

Oh it'll all be available.....seed, fert, anything you want. You'll just have to rob a bank on the way to the feed store or co-op to be able to pay for it. Dont know if it is true or not but a guy told me the other day that 17-17-17 was going to be over $30/bag by fall, if you're not buying by the ton. Havent heard a peep on seed yet but you can bet it'll high as giraffe -----, well you know what I mean.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Squeaky
I saw this posted on book of faces for a seed store in SW AL Choctaw Cty. It’s the first price list I have seen this year.

[Linked Image]

Those prices arent near as bad as I was expecting, if they are valid. Honestly shocked that anyone has anything in or that prices are set this early. I went by Safford last weekend and they didnt have any fall pricing available yet.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 09:52 PM

If you have planted a field for multiple years it will come backnup in whatever has veen planted in the past. Just mow it down fertilize it and leave it alone by december it will be as pretty as any planted field you have.
Posted By: WoodleyRoadDeer

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/29/22 10:43 PM

Are those prices per 50 lb. bag?
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 12:44 AM

Wms seed usually not ready until august

Not sure what all I planting but think I gone get some magnet and maybe Bama blend and I got diff clovers and barrasica
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 01:01 AM

Straight seed wheat for me probably. Might even have to do feed wheat. Hunting has gotten too damn expensive.
Posted By: Kelly_123

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 11:40 AM

I have used the Deer MAgnet and marshall rye in the past with good results. hoping it is reasonable this year.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 06:01 PM

I would steer clear of feed wheat. Bought some a few years ago to save a few bucks per bag. Feed wheat had sickle pod in it and now I have it in a bunch of my fields and can’t get rid of it.

Originally Posted by dBmV
Straight seed wheat for me probably. Might even have to do feed wheat. Hunting has gotten too damn expensive.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 06:49 PM

Spend a few more bucks and avoid feed wheat. It can be the gift that keeps on giving. I've got wild turnips everywhere I planted it that I've been been trying to get rid of for about 15 years
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/30/22 10:41 PM

I won't have my list from my supplier until next week. I have about 35 pounds of Durana, 12 of WTI clover, and then a bag of fusion and chic magnet sitting at the house.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/31/22 02:07 AM

Feed wheats $16 at Limestone county co-op
Posted By: JustHunt

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/31/22 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
Spend a few more bucks and avoid feed wheat. It can be the gift that keeps on giving. I've got wild turnips everywhere I planted it that I've been been trying to get rid of for about 15 years

That’s the same view I have on Marshall rye grass. People who had our lease before us used that crap. Been fighting to get rid of it ever since we took over. Two things I will never plant….. feed wheat or Marshall rye.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/31/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JustHunt

That’s the same view I have on Marshall rye grass. People who had our lease before us used that crap. Been fighting to get rid of it ever since we took over. Two things I will never plant….. feed wheat or Marshall rye.

Truth I made the mistake on both early on.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 07/31/22 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by JustHunt

Don't even get me started on ryegrass. Both properties we lease at one time had cows on them. The owner would overseed pastures with ryegrass for grazing. Haven't been cows on the place for almost 20 years and it's on CRP. Still battling ryegrass in food plots after all that time
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
If you have planted a field for multiple years it will come backnup in whatever has veen planted in the past. Just mow it down fertilize it and leave it alone by december it will be as pretty as any planted field you have.

This is what I've decided I'm doing this year. May end up buying a bag of crimson clover to toss out with the fert, but gonna let the natural seed bank ride this year. It'll do fine.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 03:15 PM

We have a new lease for the first time in a long time. Not sure what they had planted before. Going to plant this year and hope not much was ryegrass. Thinking of going rye, oats, wheat, triticale, crimson, and winter peas.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 06:21 PM

^^^^
Sounds good - I ready to start planting but we still got about 8 weeks to go
Posted By: hallb

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 06:57 PM

seed is the cheapest and easist part of planting food plots in the grand scheme of things. We didn't lime or fertilize last year and just planted like we normally do and our plots looked great and the deer hammered them. Not saying you can get away with it every year, but in a year where stuff is so expensive, axing the fertilizer is where you are going to save the money.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
seed is the cheapest and easist part of planting food plots in the grand scheme of things. We didn't lime or fertilize last year and just planted like we normally do and our plots looked great and the deer hammered them. Not saying you can get away with it every year, but in a year where stuff is so expensive, axing the fertilizer is where you are going to save the money.

So u just planted without fertilizer?
Posted By: hallb

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/01/22 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
Originally Posted by hallb

So u just planted without fertilizer?

Yep. That wasn't the original plan, kept telling myself I was going to come back later and fertilize...but as happens, life got in the way and it just never happened.
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 08:51 AM

Really? This day in time w all the information out there, there are still ppl that plant Ryegrass?!?!? Geezzz! I guess these ppl are fooled by “green, pretty” fields! I was at Mark’s Outdoors last week and they were selling some BS seed mix w Ryegrass! NO THANK YOU!!!
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
Originally Posted by Ben2

This is what I've decided I'm doing this year. May end up buying a bag of crimson clover to toss out with the fert, but gonna let the natural seed bank ride this year. It'll do fine.

Lol that won't work here .

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 02:19 PM

Universal sent me their list.

Their 3 way cereal blend is $20/bag
4 way with peas is 21.75
4way with crimson is 22.25
5way with W, O, peas, crimson and rape is 23
6 way same as 5 but add rye is 23.50
7way is same as 6 but add purple top is 24

I did the math and am going with the 7 way plus a 50 pound bag of crimson clover which will be $82.

Their universal brassica is 10.50 for a 5 pound bag, which is way cheaper than anything I have seen.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
Really? This day in time w all the information out there, there are still ppl that plant Ryegrass?!?!? Geezzz! I guess these ppl are fooled by “green, pretty” fields! I was at Mark’s Outdoors last week and they were selling some BS seed mix w Ryegrass! NO THANK YOU!!!

That is what they planted on my lease before I joined and during the first year except the fields I planted personally. It's a pain to get rid of it. If I plant some of the WTI no plow, which I think has rye grass in it, the deer eat it pretty well. But it doesn't help me as far as mulch when I cut it in the spring.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 02:52 PM

There’s been many a deer killed over a patch of rye, not sure why all the hate.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 04:20 PM

I like the 7 way, I always have good results
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not trying to grow a cash crop, I just want something green for them to eat. Yes, I want to give them the most nutritional food I can, but more importantly, I want it to grow when planted.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 08:21 PM

^^^^
I use to hunt a club n Marengo county - they mostly did rye and little clover - to this day it was some of the prettiest fields I ever seen and I was in that club for a decade - bout best club I ever been in and the deer Hammered the fields and we did not hav to do anything special to plant every year - bush hog - plow - plant - cover w light drag - put out little crimson

Saw more deer there than any club I ever been in - period!!!

I plant mix now but don’t understand all the hate - my results were awesome w it
Posted By: jb20

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by HippieKiller
Originally Posted by Forrestgump1

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not trying to grow a cash crop, I just want something green for them to eat. Yes, I want to give them the most nutritional food I can, but more importantly, I want it to grow when planted.

Yep rye is a staple around here...

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 08:39 PM

I think there is mass confusion on this site about the difference between cereal rye "Rye" and perennial rye grass.

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300
I think there is mass confusion on this site about the difference between cereal rye "Rye" and perennial rye grass.

All I can say is if someone doesnt know the difference between rye and ryegass, they need to let someone else handle the food plots. It takes too much money and effort, so do it right and get your money's worth

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 09:35 PM

All I know is the deer are wearing out my WTI and durana clover, so I'm going to make sure I supplement that again this year. I figure if I plant a little every year it is the gift that keeps on giving.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/11/22 10:22 PM

What WTI lockjaw, noplow
Posted By: JustHunt

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/12/22 02:27 AM

We plant rye every year. Cereal rye. You wanna throw out garbage like Marshall rye then be my guest. Just don’t try to bring it to my place.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/12/22 07:19 AM

The most deer I’ve ever had in a field in one time was planted in…. Nothing. We use to hunt the bottoms over looking huge overgrown sage and fescue fields. Deer would be in them all afternoon picking small green weeds that popped up from some mild winter days. All this seed and fertilizer expense talk has me missing those days.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Seed Prices and availability this year - 08/12/22 02:29 PM

You can throw-and-mow or you can lightly disk and just throw a 3-way mix on it and walk away. That's not my preferred method but I do it every year in some spots and works just fine. A little starter fertilizer certainly does help but you don't need much and not necessarily a requirement.

Prices are up across the board but my concern in planting is next Spring at this point and if I'm going to be able to plant a Crop. I started back farming on the side this is my 3rd crop year and not sure I am going to be able to afford to plant in 2023 the numbers I am seeing don't make sense for me as I am not that sophisticated of a farming operation but I am no-till. I am worried I'll have a good stand and then get into something really expensive if I get disease or pests. It's not just Fertilizer it's ALL the chemicals.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM