Aldeer.com

How long for a clear cut to grow?

Posted By: MC21

How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 02:36 AM

If land is clear cut between now and September will there be any growth before Deer season, or will it be pretty Bare? What about land clear cut in June?
Posted By: jb20

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 02:40 AM

It'll be mostly bare both times especially if u get the amount of rain we've had this summer...they'll both have weeds but it's still good hunting
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 03:05 AM

It won't have much browse I would dang sure be huntin it
Posted By: 3bailey3

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 03:32 AM

I hate a cut over!!!!
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 05:18 AM

Pretty bare. Still a great place to look a long ways. Depending on the land owner or timber company it might be that way for the next two or three years depending if they choose to spray afterwards or not
Posted By: tpageal

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 05:27 AM

Was on a club in Marion Co where they clear cut pines and hardwoods during the summer. Everyone was pretty upset. To our surprise, the deer were traveling their same routes right after the loggers left and continued to do so through that fall and winter.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 09:37 AM

It will be surface of the moon bare. Some deer will still walk it though. Its just ugly to look at.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 11:06 AM

Herbicide application will determine a lot for the next couple years.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 11:11 AM

Aint any better hunting out there
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 12:51 PM

I have killed some good deer on clear cuts after they were cut in the summer, it takes sometime for them to grow back, but the deer will use them......
Posted By: pcoladoc

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG
Herbicide application will determine a lot for the next couple years.

This is the correct answer.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dBmV
It will be surface of the moon bare. Some deer will still walk it though. Its just ugly to look at.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 01:38 PM

I love a clear cutt - killed my biggest buck off one - awesome to hunt

My thinned timber areas have taken off - jungle thick - was wide open past turkey season - so thick my turkey hunting may b about done - but the deer should thrive
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 02:20 PM

They did this same thing in September of 2018 at my aunt and uncles and it was bare dirt due to them having a guy with a dozer come in and rake it before planting long leaf pines. I hunted from November til the end of the season in February and I pretty well saw deer everytime I went there and had some really good deer on camera. By about August or September of 2019 I was having to go there with the bush hog to mow an area to hunt and been doing it every year since then.
Posted By: k bush

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
I love a clear cutt - killed my biggest buck off one - awesome to hunt

My thinned timber areas have taken off - jungle thick - was wide open past turkey season - so thick my turkey hunting may b about done - but the deer should thrive

A fire every couple of years will reset that
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 09:54 PM

Love me some flames in a cutover every couple years. Can hunt it indefinitely. Forever and ever and ever and ever.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/27/22 10:18 PM

rather hunt any stage/age cutover than most other terrain type we have- almost always see deer and especially bucks during rut.
Posted By: hardluck

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/29/22 12:54 AM

If they left the tree tops and limbs laying around I’d hunt it.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/29/22 01:41 AM

^^^
They will hit bare dirt hard the first year - and then it just gets better the next year - that first few years ought to be fun
Posted By: BradB

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/29/22 01:38 PM

I have 40-50 acres of beautiful mature thinned burned pine timber I wish to heck was a clear cut. It would be a clear cut right now if not for a lying scum bag timber buyer. Lesson learned is do not write a 1 year contract and when the guy is telling ya how they will be able to knock that right out as soon as it is dry enough, SOB is lying out his face. Unfortunately my best friend, who was in the business his whole life, vouched for the guy and it turns out he was a piss poor judge of character. So I expect I am going to be 1 year behind in my management plan and then have to go find someone who will actually get it cut.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/29/22 01:54 PM

Hunt it until you can't see in it. Maybe next three years. If they spray it you may not see a deer in it for six months.
Posted By: BPI

Re: How long for a clear cut to grow? - 07/29/22 03:54 PM

You should have some growth but not a lot. Next year will be awesome though.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM