Aldeer.com

Dropping antlers.

Posted By: fr8-shkr

Dropping antlers. - 05/02/22 02:25 AM

Urbantrapper1 posted a thread about new growth. Hell I just got a pic of one that hasn’t dropped. It’s a tall 4 point I watched several times through season. He is still wearing half of his rack. I have never seen one hold antlers this late. Have any of y’all?
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/02/22 04:30 PM

Might be a doe
Posted By: Spec

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/02/22 05:34 PM

I had an 8 hold both sides until the 2nd week in May a few years ago.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/02/22 09:15 PM

I am not seeing any with horns, got a pic of a buck that has bumps on his head though.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/03/22 12:34 AM

Was in New Mexico last week and saw elk still holding antlers and some with 16” of growth. Age, hormone levels, health, genetics all play a part in antler drop.
Posted By: fr8-shkr

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/03/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Was in New Mexico last week and saw elk still holding antlers and some with 16” of growth. Age, hormone levels, health, genetics all play a part in antler drop.

So unhealthier or less stressed keep antlers longer?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/04/22 05:29 PM

I thought it had to do with the timing of the rut? Earlier rut earlier drop as testosterone level drop after the rut?
Posted By: Antelope08

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/04/22 08:54 PM

Out here as we speak and have seen a lot of mule deer bucks with 6-8" of new growth on them, most look pretty shaggy cause they still shedding the winter coat.....
Posted By: BearBranch

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/05/22 01:41 AM

Got this little guy still hanging on [Linked Image]
Posted By: RollTide2014

Re: Dropping antlers. - 05/11/22 01:43 AM

Still have a young 5-6 point holding both sides
© 2024 ALDEER.COM