Aldeer.com

All-day climber sits

Posted By: MarksOutdoors

All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:22 PM

Anybody sit from sunup to sundown in a climber? I've tried but I have severe arthritis (Reiter's syndrome) and my knees getting stiff makes me fidgety. I usually have to get down and lunch for a couple hours and climb back up.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:41 PM

I have but it’s been awhile. I have to be very bored, hunting new ground , on a trip out of state, or seriously mad at them to do it much now
Posted By: sj22

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:42 PM

Not often unless I’m seeing deer pretty consistently but I have
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:45 PM

[Linked Image]
Not this year Between work, family and Christmas, I just hope to get a little time in the woods.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:46 PM

5hrs is the longest i ever sat. For me to sit still 5hrs is a minor miracle
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:46 PM

Used to do it a lot when I was younger. No more.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:47 PM

I have been up a tree all day a bunch, but never sat the entire time. I actually sit very little cause I’m too fat to turn and see behind the tree when seated. I have stood up all day before. It’s a lot easier to do when you’re hunting out of state somewhere good
Posted By: mman

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:48 PM

If I'm in a climber, ladder, ground blind, shooting house, or whatever, I prefer to stay from before daylight until dark. With the Summit climbers, it makes it easier than some of the stands I used to have. Especially during the rut, I like to stay out all day. When I'm in a climber, I will get down and relocate if the wind shifts and blows where I am seeing deer. As I get older, the shooting house or ground blind (with a heater of course) makes it a lot easier to stay all day.
Posted By: MorningAir

I’d have to have a special deer on camera to do that. In 37 years I have killed 2 mountable deer after 3:30pm.

I can probably count on my hands the number of bucks I’d shoot , that I’ve even seen after 4pm. I don’t know why, but I never, and have never , seen good bucks in those last 15 minutes of shooting light like some people do.

I might hunt after 2pm 4 times a year now.
Posted By: CNC

I used to hunt pretty hard and I’ve sat all day a few times and what I found was that it pretty much just made things miserable by the time it was over…….IMO a better way of “hunting all day” during the rut and one I’ve had good success with…. is to break it up into three hunts and have some easy access places where you can easily slip in for a couple hours in the middle of the day……. Hunt from daylight until around 9:45-10:00…..get down and take about an hour break then slip in a midday spot from about 11:00 to 1:00…..slip back out and then go to your afternoon spot around 2:00-3:00
Posted By: foldemup

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
I used to hunt pretty hard and I’ve sat all day a few times and what I found was that it pretty much just made things miserable by the time it was over…….IMO a better way of “hunting all day” during the rut and one I’ve had good success with…. is to break it up into three hunts and have some easy access places where you can easily slip in for a couple hours in the middle of the day……. Hunt from daylight until around 9:45-10:00…..get down and take about an hour break then slip in a midday spot from about 11:00 to 1:00…..slip back out and then go to your afternoon spot around 2:00-3:00

That sounds reasonable if you hunt a property by yourself. Just think of a club with 20 guys doing that

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup
That sounds reasonable if you hunt a property by yourself. Just think of a club with 20 guys doing that

Oh, I hear you but very few guys hunt in the middle of the day regardless of how we're talking about doing it.....I doubt you'll be overrun with competition to go out and hunt from 11:00 - 1:00 if you try it
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 05:42 PM

I sat 12.5 hours once in a Steel meshed seat ladder. It was in the 20’s all day. I ended up not even seeing a deer so I decided I will never do that again
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 05:46 PM

I’ve done it several times, only In Kentucky during the rut. It’s tuff
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 05:57 PM

I’ll sit til 1030, walk and stalk a couple hours, then get back in.
Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 06:09 PM

I had 5 deer come by and then at 10:00am I had a spike come by with his nose to the ground so I was hoping I had a hot doe trail right in front of me so I stuck it out all day long and didn’t see another deer. That was the only time I ever have and doubt I ever do it again.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 06:16 PM

Doesn't interest me in the least. You could strap a lazy boy to a tree and I'd wanna get down after 5 hours

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 06:16 PM

Really cold mornings in the low 20's where the sun comes out and starts warming things up around 8:00-9:00 is some of the best days to sit midday during the rut......The year before I got Otis I gut shot a toad at 11:45 trailing a feeding doe across a powerline.....One of the nicest bucks I've ever killed was at 2:15 during the rut.....I was walking into my afternoon stand through some thick 8-10 year old pines when I turned the curve into about 120 yard straight away just as he was walking across broadside.....got lucky and caught him slipping.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 07:33 PM

I’ll sit all day if I’m somewhere a big buck is known to move around in the daylight or groups of does move through all day during the rut. I changed out the seat on my climber to be a summit style seat. Allows me to be a lot more comfortable and be able to sit all day if needed. I don’t sit all day very often but if I’m hunting out in the mid west or if it’s a management area gun hunt I’ll try my best to sit tight all day. I’ve taken a number of deer in the mid day time frame. Just had to be the right time and place to warrant sticking it out.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 07:44 PM

All day sit in 2021 = lounge around house watching tv and scratching sack waiting for cell camera to go off then raise window and shoot buck. Put on some camo and take Glamour Shots with posed deer to post on social media. Rinse and repeat.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 07:48 PM

Hell no and you can't make me, no way, no how. Never been that mad at them or that desperate
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 07:53 PM

Never in a climber, many times in a shooting house.
Posted By: blade

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 08:25 PM

If I sit all day, its rarely in the same tree all day. Typically, my mid day spots are not the same as a morning spot and definitely not same as an evening spot. So I may hunt til say 10 in my morning spot, move to my midday spot and sit til 2 and then move to my afternoon spot and sit til dark.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 08:35 PM

Did it once when I was about 20 years old in any old original Summit climber.

Saw one spike.

Haven't done it again in over 30 years.
Posted By: bama_earl

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 08:52 PM

I did it in Illinois when I paid for a hunt up there... but never in Alabama.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
All day sit in 2021 = lounge around house watching tv and scratching sack waiting for cell camera to go off then raise window and shoot buck. Put on some camo and take Glamour Shots with posed deer to post on social media. Rinse and repeat.

Only over rye
Posted By: Atoler

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup
It’s a lot easier to do when you’re hunting out of state somewhere good

Yep, I'll do it in the Midwest, where there is a realistic chance at a giant. Ain't no way in hell I'm doing it in Bama nowadays, unless I've got something special on camera.
Posted By: top cat

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bulls eye
Used to do it a lot when I was younger. No more.

Yup
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 11:43 PM

Done it many times when I was younger, back can't take it now. cry
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 11:50 PM

I wish I could do damn near anything that confined all day nevermind sitting in a tree. Not going to happen. Would be nice if I could though.
Posted By: CAL

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/21/21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
Hell no and you can't make me, no way, no how. Never been that mad at them or that desperate
Posted By: globe

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 12:41 AM

I’ve sat all day several times in a house, but not in a climber. Funny thing is nearly every time I did, I saw a decent deer around 1:00.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 01:10 AM

I have at times sat up to six+ hours( daylight to noon or 1/1:30 but only when I was seeing deer every 30 minutes or so. If I ever get to 10 am and don't see a deer by 10:30 I head to camp.
This only seems to happen late Jan into February. Nov- Dec hunts about 3 1/2 hrs max.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 01:41 AM

I do it in 2 climbers. A lightweight API (it SUCKS but if I’m seeing deer I’m staying) and a Gunslinger. I could spend the night and hunt the entire next day in a gunslinger 😂😂. Seriously non mobile but as comfortable as it gets BY FAR.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 02:01 AM

3hrs is an all day sit for me. No way I am staying longer
Posted By: Dave_H

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 03:39 AM

I have, but not very often. I don't often hunt mornings. I usually head to the woods late morning and hunt the rest of the day. I often see deer at 11:00 and 1:00. My biggest buck was killed at 1:30 and I have killed several at the last few minutes of legal shooting hours.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 05:29 AM

Done it several times in the past. Early season can be a while due to getting dark at like 6. Longest i have sit is 13hrs. Did not see anything until 20 minutes before dark and killed a small buck with my bow on public land.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 07:36 AM

Hunted 3 or 4 full days in a row during the Missouri rut from lock ons a few years back. Saw deer pretty much constantly, and some good ones at that so it wasn’t that hard to do. Won’t catch me sitting for more that 3 hours or so now, and I don’t even do much of that.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 09:28 AM

Sat daylight til dark yesterday in my Tree Hammock.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 10:25 AM

I generally am done climbing by 5:30 and sit till 11 or so depending on what I'm seeing. During the rut I sit all day regularly. That Treewalker is comfortable.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: All-day climber sits - 12/22/21 01:41 PM

I've done it a couple times in my steel viper that got stolen. My new aluminum one is a little tight for that.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM