Aldeer.com

Youth Weekend

Posted By: Joe4majors

Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 03:58 PM

It's always my favorite weekend of the year even though mini-me has never knocked one down over youth weekend. I think I'm a little too pumped up for it though. The other morning I was in the shower (sorry for the visual) and was thinking about which stands we'll try. One stand overlooks a long and narrow field (not the one below). Deer can easily skirt across the far end. While in the shower, I let out an audible "MEEEEHHHHH" to stop a crossing deer. crazy

The fields have never looked so good, but acorns are everywhere. I've stayed away from the farm for the past couple of months aside from last weekend where I set up a ground blind and did a few more last minute improvements.

What are y'alls plans for youth weekend?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrentsFX4

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 04:08 PM

Private land Friday, Skyline Saturday, and the family farm Sunday and Monday for us. We make an extended weekend of it.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 05:06 PM

Gonna go bow hunt that morning then take my boys that evening here at the house
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 06:12 PM

I’m taking my son (13) this weekend and I’m stoked about it. Last year he missed a big 6 point, buck fever that he swears he didn’t have but he was shaking like a leaf after the shot. Have several bucks showing up that he can shoot so fun ngers crossed it works out. He’s only killed one deer and it was a little one when he was 7.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 06:26 PM

Meh, too many different seasons. Just let everyone hunt however they please when season opens.
Posted By: James

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 06:37 PM

No plans here. My Boys r all too old now. Was nice when we had the youth contests on here...
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 07:27 PM

My niece and nephew helped plant fields, clear shooting lanes and prep around shooting houses. They will be sitting in a quad pod watching a corn feeder. Hopefully the wind stays WNW as predicted and the deer are dumb.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 09:33 PM

Good luck
Posted By: ford150man

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/10/21 10:29 PM

We’ll be kicking off deer season by attending my boys’ first school wrestling tournament of the year. Good luck to y’all.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/11/21 03:09 PM

One of last years target bucks showed back up this morning (during shooting light). We will be somewhere in the vicinity of that camera in the morning. All depends on the wind and where I get pics of him today and tonight. Got a pretty good idea of where he’s bedding.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/11/21 08:13 PM

My kids are too old now. To keep the tradition alive I am taking my neighbor's daughter, who I took last year to get her first deer, a doe. I promised her we would go again the next year so she could try for her first buck.

She didn't grow up hunting, and neither did her parents. I took her older brother for his first deer four years ago, and she wanted to give it a go.

There are a ton of buck bachelor groups that are all really young, anywhere from spikes to basket rack 8 points that look like they weigh 130 pounds. I just hope that's not all we see or one of them is going down. First buck is whatever makes adrenalin go, and his sacrifice makes a hunter for life, and leaves a memory that you can't buy. But that's the only exception where we don't let them grow.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/11/21 08:40 PM

Me and my daughter will be on a white oak flat in the morning leaned up against a tree. Shooting house tomorrow evening.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/11/21 09:28 PM

Big weekend at the camp. We’ll have BBQ catered in, a shooting competition for the kids, big buck and big doe trophies/cash prizes and all the fun that comes with that. I’m planning on a dozen or so younguns.

Aside from opening day of dove season, it’s my favorite hunting day of the year. Weather looks perfect as well. Can’t wait for lots of smiles and hopefully the scale gets a workout.
Posted By: ATDH79

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
Big weekend at the camp. We’ll have BBQ catered in, a shooting competition for the kids, big buck and big doe trophies/cash prizes and all the fun that comes with that. I’m planning on a dozen or so younguns.

Aside from opening day of dove season, it’s my favorite hunting day of the year. Weather looks perfect as well. Can’t wait for lots of smiles and hopefully the scale gets a workout.

Sounds like a good club!
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ATDH79
Originally Posted by 3FFarms

Sounds like a good club!

I agree, love the little man and ladies getting the fever! Good times!
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thisldu
My kids are too old now. To keep the tradition alive I am taking my neighbor's daughter, who I took last year to get her first deer, a doe. I promised her we would go again the next year so she could try for her first buck.

She didn't grow up hunting, and neither did her parents. I took her older brother for his first deer four years ago, and she wanted to give it a go.

There are a ton of buck bachelor groups that are all really young, anywhere from spikes to basket rack 8 points that look like they weigh 130 pounds. I just hope that's not all we see or one of them is going down. First buck is whatever makes adrenalin go, and his sacrifice makes a hunter for life, and leaves a memory that you can't buy. But that's the only exception where we don't let them grow.

That's awesome. Any buck that'll get that young un trembling is a good one. Good luck!
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 02:41 AM

We will probably stick around the house. If it looks slow we can haul to the camp for a day. Good luck!
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 03:31 AM

Good luck to those that are taking their youth or someone else's.
Posted By: AdventureDeer

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 03:58 AM

I was going to take my nephew but the club I was taking him too, they have to go through somebody else's land to access and they decide to log their land this week and we can't access this weekend....so going to have to come up with alternate plan...
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Meh, too many different seasons. Just let everyone hunt however they please when season opens.

We all knew our resident anti-hunter would be fired up, but you probably ought to keep that kid jealousy to yourself……
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 03:24 PM

I plan on taking my son (1) and nephew (6) to the hunting club to run some dogs. Both are a too young to shoot. But it will be good to turn the dogs loose and hopefully someone else will get a shot.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 04:19 PM

Well my daughter woke up with a fever. Set out 11 coyote traps instead of hunting. Hopefully we'll be out this evening
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 06:05 PM

Question can u still bow hunt during youth weekend? I’m not taking a youth but I was planning on still bow hunting but a buddy said I couldn’t because of youth weekend.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bcbama260
Question can u still bow hunt during youth weekend? I’m not taking a youth but I was planning on still bow hunting but a buddy said I couldn’t because of youth weekend.

yes

Question of my own. Can I take my crossbow for youth dog hunt?
Posted By: inatree

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/12/21 11:03 PM

Good luck. Granddaughters got a dang softball tournament this weekend.
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: Youth Weekend - 11/13/21 12:20 AM

Good luck to all the kiddos out this weekend.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM