Aldeer.com

Monster killed in Bankhead

Posted By: BruteX

Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 12:51 AM

Somebody post the pic that Micheal Perry killed with a smoke pole today. Look him up on Facebook
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:00 AM

Come on man most of us don't fool with face space. Post up so pics.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:02 AM

popcorn....
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:03 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:03 AM

popcorn
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:14 AM

Woulda been a good’un next year. 😃

Congrats to tha killer!!!

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:18 AM

Would have been a good bow buck. I’d passed with a rifle😬I bet the drag out took years off his life
Posted By: Blessed 1

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:23 AM

Congratulations, he puts in a lot of time up there
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:24 AM

That’s a freaking giant again. He spends a lot of time to kill the deer he does.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:25 AM

Dude!!! shocked
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:31 AM

Holy moly. That’s a hoss
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:32 AM

Dang stud of a buck! I know he worked for that one out there, Congratulations to him!
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:33 AM

Some true monsters in Bankhead.

Congrats to the hunter.
Posted By: Tupi

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:59 AM

Congratulations to him , he seemed like a really nice guy the one time I met him . Think he used to be a contributor to Alabama outdoors news magazine . I don’t know if that thing is even still in print .
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BruteX
Somebody post the pic that Micheal Perry killed with a smoke pole today. Look him up on Facebook

A sure enough good one!

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
That’s a freaking giant again. He spends a lot of time to kill the deer he does.

How many he got?
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 03:12 AM

Dayum
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

How many he got?

I know of 3 toads in the last 3-4 years. I’m talking 140 plus class deer on public land.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 09:27 AM

He generally kills one early in the season and then another when the rut gets kicked up good. He only shoots mature bucks. He does podcasts and articles and things of that nature to let folks know how he does it - he wants to help others do the same. It's really pretty simple. Definitely not easy but not complicated at all. He loses most hunters when he describes walking three miles up a creek at 3:30 am to approach where he knows a mature one is. grin
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Geno
He generally kills one early in the season and then another when the rut gets kicked up good. He only shoots mature bucks. He does podcasts and articles and things of that nature to let folks know how he does it - he wants to help others do the same. It's really pretty simple. Definitely not easy but not complicated at all. He loses most hunters when he describes walking three miles up a creek at 3:30 am to approach where he knows a mature one is. grin

Yep. Michael and his wife earn every one they kill!!!

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 01:43 PM

Wonder how deep he’s getting to find these year after year? I would love to spend a couple days with him on sone of my properties lol.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Wonder how deep he’s getting to find these year after year? I would love to spend a couple days with him on sone of my properties lol.

How "deep" can anyone truly go on any property in Alabama??
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Geno

Why does he drag them out that far? It’d be way easier to quarter it and pack it out on his back.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by joshm28

How "deep" can anyone truly go on any property in Alabama??

You can get several miles into Bankhead and that’s not “easy” topography. Matt Brock could probably tell you in detail but I think 3-4 miles is doable from nearest road.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 04:54 PM

He has killed some absolute giants! Congrats to him! There ain’t no doubt he’s putting in a lot of time.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 05:11 PM

Wow!!!!
Congrats to the hunter!
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 05:19 PM

Dang....What a Deer... shocked some people just got kind of a smell about them that big bucks draw too, He must be one of them guys... beers
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 07:05 PM

Wallpaper beers
Posted By: top cat

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 09:03 PM

Wallpaper
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 09:07 PM

Wow congrats
Posted By: ATDH79

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/06/21 09:17 PM

No telling what that joker will score! Doggone what a buck! He's definitely put the work in for it, use to see him and talk with him up there several years ago when I use to hunt alot there nice fella

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 12:16 AM

I’m pretty sure he kills all his deer in one general area. He says on several podcast him and his wife hide their stands somewhere. I’m surprised folks ain’t stalking him
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 12:41 AM

Full grown. Sounds like a good hunter , patient woodsman , willing to put in the work , hunting where big bucks live. Those types always kill grown uns.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Full grown. Sounds like a good hunter , patient woodsman , willing to put in the work , hunting where big bucks live. Those types always kill grown uns.

Someone that skilled at hunting is actually better off hunting public land than an expensive QDM club or private land. They get hundreds of thousands of acres of land to pick the exact spot they want and go after any deer they want. There are probably 50 or less deer roaming this state right now that are that big and if you hunt private land and one is not on your place, you are out of luck. This guy is like a sniper who seeks out and finds deer like that instead of waiting for one to come to him.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 03:11 AM

Yep, the more sweat equity you put in the hunt, the luckier you get. That doesn't mean that you don't still have to hunt smart.
Posted By: Todd M

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 12:47 PM

Congratulations Michael !!
Job well done again , great example for putting in that extra time and effort !
Like I tell my kids ‘ You do what you gotta do to get to do what you want to do ‘ !

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher

Yep, the more sweat equity you put in the hunt, the luckier you get. That doesn't mean that you don't still have to hunt smart.

I'll add I bet that feller is a student of whitetails and knows the areas he hunts like his own living room. Probably feels out of place in a shooting house , if he ever gets in one at all.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 08:17 PM

I just wonder how he gets them out of there after he kills them!
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives

I know how he does it. It’s why most ppl don’t kill deer like that. It’ll take a half a day or longer to get them out some times.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:31 PM

Hey Matt , anyone use a horse or mule to hunt Bankhead area?
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:37 PM

We didn’t hunt off of them, but we used to use em on Choccolocca when I was in high school. Old man I hunted with a fine pair of mules “sally and Suzy” If we killed one, use young boys would go get his mule, usually sally she was easier to catch, take it back up and drag out the deer with it. Never was sure If that was legal but it was sure easier. Lol

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

I know how he does it. It’s why most ppl don’t kill deer like that. It’ll take a half a day or longer to get them out some times.

Unless there’s some freaky rule saying you have to bring it out whole, that’s dumb.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Be_Cam

We didn’t hunt off of them, but we used to use em on Choccolocca when I was in high school. Old man I hunted with a fine pair of mules “sally and Suzy” If we killed one, use young boys would go get his mule, usually sally she was easier to catch, take it back up and drag out the deer with it. Never was sure If that was legal but it was sure easier. Lol

They could be of great help up here too, but I've never known of anyone using them. Most folks up here gut them and go down hill if they aren't close to a road or can't get a 4 wheeler close. Used to be a group of coonhunters hunted off mules up here , but I reckon it was a passing fad.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

Unless there’s some freaky rule saying you have to bring it out whole, that’s dumb.

Don't know bout quartering , but I'd dang sure gut them.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 11:34 PM

Packing them out is way faster and easier than dragging all day. Fo sho
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/07/21 11:55 PM

On a WMA; they have to come out whole. Unless they have changed the rules. No 4 wheelers off open roads.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by wew3006

On a WMA; they have to come out whole.
[/quote]

When did that law get put in place? It must have been recently.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 12:27 PM

They have to come out whole on mandatory check-in days since they weigh them. I've asked about packing them out on non-mandatory check-in days and got mixed responses, but I don't see how you could ticketed as it isn't in the regs.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988
They have to come out whole on mandatory check-in days since they weigh them. I've asked about packing them out on non-mandatory check-in days and got mixed responses, but I don't see how you could ticketed as it isn't in the regs.

Not the one I’ve hunted.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 02:56 PM

Correction; Bringing out whole only applies to mandatory check in days

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 03:28 PM

Can you still gut them in the woods?
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 03:42 PM

Can you still gut them in the woods?

Yes. That is not a problem.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 06:19 PM

That must be WMA specific.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 06:37 PM

You would be correct.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 07:02 PM

I don't know if it's a rule, or just a common sense "case by case" exception if you ask, but I've used a 4wheeler twice at Choccolocco to retrieve deer. Both time I was muzzleloader hunting alone during the week, both deer were extremely far from any road, in steep terrain, would've been basically impossible by myself even with a wheeled cart. Each time I contacted the WMA officials and they granted me permission. This was also about 10+ years ago (maybe 12-15 years ago), so who knows if they'd still do that today.

I've always assumed someone like Perry is consumed with hunting. What I mean is it's the only outdoor hobby they have, it's what they do and who they are 24/7/365. I usually lose interest in deer and start fishing by mid January, and give ZERO thought to deer hunting until October again. I don't Summer scout or anything like that (I might make some mental notes of stuff I find in Spring turkey season, but that's all). I know guys (like Perry) who don't fish or do anything else....they are deer-focused-101%, period. They walk ridges in the Summer, run cameras, do all sorts of crazy stuff on rugged public land even in 100 degree July. We're stopping on our first tournament hole on a Saturday morning in August, and they're already three ridges deep checking cameras and hanging a loc-on that same morning. They are shooting bows all Summer, going to the shooting range with a new scope, it's complete obsession. They probably take a few out of state hunting trips for other species in the parts of the year when it's not deer season in Alabama, like I say, hunting is what they do! And most of these guys are single, or have a wife who also hunts, otherwise nobody would tolerate the obsessive devotion they give to hunting deer.

When I kill a deer on public land, I'm just as surprised as the deer was rofl
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/08/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I don't know if it's a rule, or just a common sense "case by case" exception if you ask, but I've used a 4wheeler twice at Choccolocco to retrieve deer. Both time I was muzzleloader hunting alone during the week, both deer were extremely far from any road, in steep terrain, would've been basically impossible by myself even with a wheeled cart. Each time I contacted the WMA officials and they granted me permission. This was also about 10+ years ago (maybe 12-15 years ago), so who knows if they'd still do that today.

I've always assumed someone like Perry is consumed with hunting. What I mean is it's the only outdoor hobby they have, it's what they do and who they are 24/7/365. I usually lose interest in deer and start fishing by mid January, and give ZERO thought to deer hunting until October again. I don't Summer scout or anything like that (I might make some mental notes of stuff I find in Spring turkey season, but that's all). I know guys (like Perry) who don't fish or do anything else....they are deer-focused-101%, period. They walk ridges in the Summer, run cameras, do all sorts of crazy stuff on rugged public land even in 100 degree July. We're stopping on our first tournament hole on a Saturday morning in August, and they're already three ridges deep checking cameras and hanging a loc-on that same morning. They are shooting bows all Summer, going to the shooting range with a new scope, it's complete obsession. They probably take a few out of state hunting trips for other species in the parts of the year when it's not deer season in Alabama, like I say, hunting is what they do! And most of these guys are single, or have a wife who also hunts, otherwise nobody would tolerate the obsessive devotion they give to hunting deer.

When I kill a deer on public land, I'm just as surprised as the deer was rofl

The unifying factor that most consistently successful public land hunters seem to have is time. Unlimited time in the woods seems to be the key to success. I don't have that kind of time to throw at it and I would bet most people are in the same boat.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/09/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by BamaStrapAssassi

You would be correct.

Unless I missed it, Black Warrior WMA wasn’t one of them that required it. Maybe someone can post a link for the rule.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/09/21 10:05 PM

How does he get the deer out?
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/09/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ALclearcut

Someone that skilled at hunting is actually better off hunting public land than an expensive QDM club or private land. They get hundreds of thousands of acres of land to pick the exact spot they want and go after any deer they want. There are probably 50 or less deer roaming this state right now that are that big and if you hunt private land and one is not on your place, you are out of luck. This guy is like a sniper who seeks out and finds deer like that instead of waiting for one to come to him.

Agree 100%. A box stand on a green patch just seems awkward.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/09/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by scrubbuck

The thing is he said he's watched this deer for 2 years
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/10/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
How does he get the deer out?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
Originally Posted by scrubbuck

The thing is he said he's watched this deer for 2 years

That's remarkable.... that deer would've been extremely big two years ago. I'll assume he meant he's had pics for two years (cause ain't nobody in the world woulda walked that joker)
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 03:24 PM

He had pics for two years. He said the first year he found him, he was mid 160’s he assumed. It’s amazing what age will do huh?
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
He had pics for two years. He said the first year he found him, he was mid 160’s he assumed. It’s amazing what age will do huh?

If any of y’all know him, ask if he’ll post the yearly progression pictures. I’d like to see the yearly change

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 04:36 PM

It had to eat nothing but acorns and browse… unless it was on he back side of some of that private…

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup

If any of y’all know him, ask if he’ll post the yearly progression pictures. I’d like to see the yearly change

I dont know him, I just heard him speaking on the subject during a podcast a few days ago. What I can say is that there isn’t a chance he’s gonna show anything to give away where the deer was living. He said he drug that deer solo for over an hour uphill just to get it into a location where he could have someone help him without knowing exactly where he killed it.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 06:11 PM

I dont know him, I just heard him speaking on the subject during a podcast a few days ago. What I can say is that there isn’t a chance he’s gonna show anything to give away where the deer was living. He said he drug that deer solo for over an hour uphill just to get it into a location where he could have someone help him without knowing exactly where he killed it.

This is the reason Bankhead will not be overrun with hunters looking for the next giant. Rough terrain will drive 95% of weekend warriors away.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 06:16 PM

[quote=foldemup][quote=Hevishot13] He said he drug that deer solo for over an hour uphill just to get it into a location where he could have someone help him without knowing exactly where he killed it.

That just means he probably drug it downhill for 15 minutes from where he killed it.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 06:19 PM

He can crop the pics just to show the deer’s head. I’d like to see the yearly jump.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 06:49 PM

That group of guys he’s standing with are all local and all kill good deer out of that forest with a gun of some sort.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

This is the reason Bankhead will not be overrun with hunters looking for the next giant. Rough terrain will drive 95% of weekend warriors away.

I'd bet no motorized vehicles has more to do than the terra. SxS and 4 wheelers would be a game changer for Bankhead.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/11/21 10:55 PM

Most deer hunters aren’t going to walk 1/2 mile on flat ground to get to a spot to hunt. Add in other factors such as terrain, and weight of carrying a stand and that number gets even smaller. I’m very thankful that the WMAs I hunt have locked gates and a no motorized vehicle policy.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/12/21 12:31 AM

That deer has been living on private land inside Bankhead. He got busted slipping on public.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/12/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
That deer has been living on private land inside Bankhead. He got busted slipping on public.

A few years ago a guy killed a 170” with his ML on Bankhead and it was slightly over 5 miles from where it had been on camera for several years. The private guy got so tore up he started harassing the guy who killed it day in and day out. Was pitiful.

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/12/21 02:15 AM

A few years ago a guy killed a 170” with his ML on Bankhead and it was slightly over 5 miles from where it had been on camera for several years. The private guy got so tore up he started harassing the guy who killed it day in and day out. Was pitiful.

Geez, what a clown!
Posted By: jb20

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/12/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

Geez, what a clown!

Ya that's ridiculous...if u want a 170 go find another one...it's out there

Re: Monster killed in Bankhead - 11/12/21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
Originally Posted by Southwood7

Geez, what a clown!

Ya that's ridiculous...if u want a 170 go find another one...it's out there

They out there, just not many. 170” on public in Alabama is my goal. Just may not be able to do it in Jackson county. I had one at 52 yards, but I was holding a bow. It wound up getting killed on the adjoining private a few months later. It scored in the 170’s as a main frame 8 pointer 😒
© 2024 ALDEER.COM