Aldeer.com

what would you do?

Posted By: Lockjaw

what would you do? - 10/16/21 01:36 AM

If you had a club member that was just not courteous about coming and going? We only have 1 road in and out. Alot of our fields are within easy earshot of, if not line of sight of the road. Unfortunately.

So this am, I go out for opener. He is already out there, pinned out himself and wife. Since one of them was close to where I wanted to hunt, I decided to be nice and give them space and hunt someplace where I wouldn't impact them.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I go all the way over to the far side of the club, at about 2:30. He comes in and either he, or her, drive by me at 4;30 as in dropped off and then back at 6:15. This isn't the first time he has driven by me at basically sunset.

And when I confronted him the first time, he tried to tell me I was wrong and I was hunting illegally. As it well past legal light. 5:05 in mid January is not 30 minutes past sunset.
Posted By: wk2hnt

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 01:47 AM

Do the husband and wife both buy a membership? When will their 2 sons and their families show up? Just get it over with and tell him if he or his wife mess you up again or accuse you of illegal hunt you will Kick his sea bass ass and hers to if you need too.
Posted By: CNC

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 01:48 AM

I'd whip his ass.......You have to set a precedent with that type of behavior.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 02:58 AM

I wouldn’t whip his @ unless he put his finger in your face after you straight’n his uncourteous disrespectful end out.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 03:01 AM

Now I remember why I HATE hunting clubs!!!🤦‍♂️
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 03:28 AM

Don’t whip his ass… yet…
Talk to the head guy and see if he will address it. If the offender is the head guy, seek another hunting club.
Posted By: Tightline

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 03:37 AM

We have a club rule that you dont drive out until you need headlights. Works for us. We dont have many that are scared of the dark.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 10:39 AM

Seems like you always have one or two in every group that just want to foul it up, kind of like the democrats fouling up their states and moving to red states and still voting the same.
Posted By: brotherhood

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 11:48 AM

In by certain time in the a.m. and p.m. if you can’t make it in by those times and want to go to a stand where you have to pass another member you must ask that member for permission or hunt somewhere else. No coming out before dark. Only exceptions are emergency but phones work wonders in communication
Posted By: ford150man

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 01:19 PM

Good advice given above.
Posted By: JRF

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 02:16 PM

That's why most clubs have four pages of rules.
Some people have known respect for others.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 02:45 PM

Is this the same lease you’re having problems with the adjoining landowner? You sure do have a lotta issues out there, hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. Good luck and hope y’all can come to an amicable conclusion
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 04:03 PM

I hunted a place that bordered the Mississippi state line and we had to cross another club's property to access our leases. We had to be on our place before daylight and we could not cross back across their lease until 11:00 am. For the evening, in by 2:00 and out after dark. We got along well with the other club and had to make a couple of calls to them over the years to let them know we needed to cross when we werent supposed to. Never had a problem one. Its all about respect and being a good neighbor.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher One
I hunted a place that bordered the Mississippi state line and we had to cross another club's property to access our leases. We had to be on our place before daylight and we could not cross back across their lease until 11:00 am. For the evening, in by 2:00 and out after dark. We got along well with the other club and had to make a couple of calls to them over the years to let them know we needed to cross when we werent supposed to. Never had a problem one. Its all about respect and being a good neighbor.

This is what it needs to be like. A lot of American white men have lost the courtesy and respect they were raised on.
A lot of ignorance

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Is this the same lease you’re having problems with the adjoining landowner? You sure do have a lotta issues out there, hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. Good luck and hope y’all can come to an amicable conclusion

Yes and I am the "head guy" but not the lease signer, yet, so I am somewhat limited. Hopefully the lease signer will replace him and cut him loose. If he doesn't, then I am going to get creative.
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by CeeHawk37
Don’t whip his ass… yet…
Talk to the head guy and see if he will address it. If the offender is the head guy, seek another hunting club.

Be sure and shoot a bunch of spikes before you leave though
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 08:11 PM

Let the president deal with it, thats what he is for.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
Originally Posted by BCLC

Yes and I am the "head guy" but not the lease signer, yet, so I am somewhat limited. Hopefully the lease signer will replace him and cut him loose. If he doesn't, then I am going to get creative.

So you're the president but the lease is in someone else's name? That sounds like an awkward situation. I wish you the best of luck in resolving your issues.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 08:27 PM

When you know it’s your last year in the club......
Posted By: ford150man

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw

Yes and I am the "head guy" but not the lease signer, yet…

That means you’re not the head guy. You’re the workhorse, who handles ALL the work, FOR the head guy. I’ve seen that before. It didn’t end well.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: what would you do? - 10/16/21 10:42 PM

Sheesh..
Call him and talk to him.
Send him a screen shot of the actual reg stating the 30 min past legal sunset law.
Tell him as president, he must sit at least that long as not to disturb others that would like to hunt till the end of legal light.
Tell him this is simply common courtesy; if he cannot understand that, then the club isn’t a good fit for him and he is gone this year / will not be invited back next year.
Wrap it up by saying you hope he will conform and that everyone can move forward on a positive note no harm no foul.

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 12:37 AM

I will if he stays in the club, but I don't have high hopes this guy is capable of getting it.
Posted By: BobK

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 12:52 AM

Man, you got to much Drama going on. Glad I got my own property to hunt on. Good luck with all that.
Posted By: CNC

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 01:07 AM

If you're the "person in charge" then its your responsibility to address these situations with folks.......The worst kinda person to have in charge no matter what management position we're talking about is someone who is afraid of confronting others about an issue so they try to handle things in all kinds of bullchit indirect manners instead of just going to the person and directly addressing the situation......I was joking about whipping his ass.....what should happen is just a grown up, matter of fact conversation about the rules without a whole lot of emotion involved......
Posted By: Cactus_buck

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
If you're the "person in charge" then its your responsibility to address these situations with folks.......The worst kinda person to have in charge no matter what management position we're talking about is someone who is afraid of confronting others about an issue so they try to handle things in all kinds of bullchit indirect manners instead of just going to the person and directly addressing the situation......I was joking about whipping his ass.....what should happen is just a grown up, matter of fact conversation about the rules without a whole lot of emotion involved......

OR the person in charge thinks those same club rules don’t apply to him. Not referring to original poster.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 04:23 AM

Just hunt off the road?
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: what would you do? - 10/17/21 11:54 AM

We are pretty much the only people that hunt our farm. Maybe because of so little pressure but the deer don’t seem to care about trucks or tractors. It will bump them right off the road a little, but they don’t seem to panic. I didn’t plan on hunting one morning but ended up going. I drove to the box stand and deer where in the field already. Parked 5 yards from the stand got out , gently closed the truck door and climbed into the stand. Took about 5 minutes the deer all came back and I shot a nice 7pt. Whole hunt was maybe 30 minutes. I have also killed deer with my son riding his 4 wheeler in the next field over doing donuts. The deer in the field I was in would occasionally look towards that field but were not extra spooky. Got rid of the 4 wheeler after that because he was tearing up the fields, not for “spooking “ deer.

I say hunt, let the guy and his wife hunt. No need to create any drama or hard feelings. You may need his help dragging one soon and you will be happy to see him.

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 03:49 PM

Well it's a difficult property to navigate, think of it like having the main road run right thru the middle of it, and we really don't have alot of stand sites that we can get way off the road because of geography. So unless you are several hundred yards off the road, what you hear is the tires on the gravel. And I have personally witnessed deer stop because of it. So imagine you are sitting in a stand, you can hear a deer coming and then it just stops, and you wonder why it stopped and then you hear the tires of a vehicle coming down the road, before the end of legal shooting light. I even stayed once it went by. NOTHING!

Until the timber company thins the right side of the road, where we can get down in there and create some different area's to hunt, it is really so thick and dark back there, you can't effectively bow hunt it, and if you killed a deer back there, you can't get an ATV to it. A controlled burn would help alot.

So I think ultimately, we will end up with a rule that strictly defines the times you can come in and leave. And probably strongly suggest that you not go hunt near someone when no one else is out there, without texting them, which we also suggested this year.

Sometimes you just end up with folks who just don't think about others, which is the case here.

And yes there is lots of drama, there is in every club I have been in. However, I have spent the last 3 years getting greenfields established, gottem them all limed, and fertilzed and have most of them with some sort of perennial food source in them. The feedback the last two years has been the fields look amazing. So now its more about dealing with ettiquette and hunting the wind, and reducing pressure.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Now I remember why I HATE hunting clubs!!!🤦‍♂️
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 07:26 PM

Might want to volunteer taking over the lease and kick the guy out.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 08:38 PM

at some point you are going to have to address it or it will keep happening.

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 09:43 PM

He's out. I think we found someone to take his spot. Even the guy that is more on his side than anyone else says he is being ridiculous. If you think working with a millenial is tough, hunt with one. This dude is about himself. You can't be that way in a club, and I had multiple people say he was out of line.

I should have veto'd him in the first place. Teach me to be nice.

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 11:44 PM

That guy sounds like a real prick, probably high fence hunts too.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: what would you do? - 10/18/21 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by HappyHunter
We are pretty much the only people that hunt our farm. Maybe because of so little pressure but the deer don’t seem to care about trucks or tractors. It will bump them right off the road a little, but they don’t seem to panic. I didn’t plan on hunting one morning but ended up going. I drove to the box stand and deer where in the field already. Parked 5 yards from the stand got out , gently closed the truck door and climbed into the stand. Took about 5 minutes the deer all came back and I shot a nice 7pt. Whole hunt was maybe 30 minutes. I have also killed deer with my son riding his 4 wheeler in the next field over doing donuts. The deer in the field I was in would occasionally look towards that field but were not extra spooky. Got rid of the 4 wheeler after that because he was tearing up the fields, not for “spooking “ deer.

I say hunt, let the guy and his wife hunt. No need to create any drama or hard feelings. You may need his help dragging one soon and you will be happy to see him.

You are right and completely wrong I’m the same paragraph. I can kill deer off my tractor at my farm. At the lease deer will vacate a field if a 4 wheeler cranks up 500 yards away. It ALL depends on what the deer are used to. At the lease we don’t ever use utvs unless absolutely necessary. If rather you drive a vehicle in if you can’t walk the .5-1 mile distance. They are not use to the buggies and it spooks them. The farm is different. Guarantee this guys property is more like my lease than mine or your farm.
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: what would you do? - 10/19/21 02:33 AM

I am so glad I’m not in a hunting club anymore. It is always something. Worst part is it was always the “head guy” or his brother that were the worlds worst about breaking their own rules. Good luck to you on sorting your situation out. I would give some advice but my actions in the past have always ending badly.
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: what would you do? - 10/19/21 11:06 AM

It has been 20 years since I was in a hunting club and the biggest issue was always the gates. People would always screw up the locks or tear up the gates. Seemed like that was a never ending issue.

Re: what would you do? - 10/19/21 07:47 PM

I agree on vehicles too. Since I am out there so much on my tractor, the deer don't tend to sweat it very much. But ATV's are a different animal all together. And I think the consistency of things matters too. Since I am there on my tractor so much, they are used to it. They are probably as used to my old tundra too. And I am on the property more than anyone on an ATV, so I might be able to get away with more, but I rarely take my ATV out there once the season starts. But everyone else, that's when the ATV traffic really ramps up. You don't think deer know when they hear atv's all the time, and all of a sudden you got a bunch more human scent in the air that something is up? They do.

And also agree on the head people not following rules. I vow to be different in that regard. You have to lead by example.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: what would you do? - 10/19/21 08:47 PM

Absolutely they do, deer are not stupid.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: what would you do? - 10/20/21 02:11 PM

Just throw corn off the back of the ATV as you are riding around. They'll treat it like the ice cream truck eventually. LOL!
Posted By: globe

Re: what would you do? - 10/20/21 03:16 PM

Yeah I’d be pissed If they knew they were coming past you at that time. If I didn’t get to hunt until 4:30, I’d find the quickest easiest place to slip in and not bother anyone. Any chance they didn’t know?

Re: what would you do? - 10/20/21 04:12 PM

Nope we have to sign out. And we had a SW wind that day, and he was basically down wind of me.

Re: what would you do? - 10/20/21 06:01 PM

I used to hunt a popular WMA in some thick stuff very close to a road. I have noticed that deer would look when they hear the crunching gravel of a passing vehicle but don't spook unless the vehicle stops. Seen this happen twice.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM