Aldeer.com

Portland Landing Section 6

Posted By: Coosa1

Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 05:55 PM

Anyone been on section 6 at Portland Landing? I'll be going there in late Oct with a buddy who got drawn. Trying to get as much intel as possible beforehand because I don't know if we will be able to make the scout day.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 06:43 PM

So y’all got your unit? Still haven’t gotten mine for Thigpen
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nomercy

same here
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nomercy

I haven't gotten my unit for thigpen either.

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 07:12 PM

Yep, my buddy got his email just before lunch I believe. I think all the SOA managers do their own unit selections so they all get them out at different times.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 07:17 PM

I drew section 8 for the Primitive Hunt. Coosa you may want to check with gatorbait, I think he drew 6 last season to start bow season.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Squadron77
I drew section 8 for the Primitive Hunt. Coosa you may want to check with gatorbait, I think he drew 6 last season to start bow season.

I was in section 5 last year. Saw a ton of good bucks and let a 115” 3 1/2 year old walk at twelve yards.. Awesome hunt and would love to do it again!!

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154
Originally Posted by Squadron77

I was in section 5 last year. Saw a ton of good bucks and let a 115” 3 1/2 year old walk at twelve yards.. Awesome hunt and would love to do it again!!

Were you down there for early bow season? Anything in particular they were keying in on there that time of year? I’m assuming they’ll be hitting acorns hard.

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:10 PM

Yes, opening weekend with a cool front.. they were hammering the water oaks and my unit had a big clover plot that would fill up in the evening.. I would hunt near the pines in a tight bottom in the morning and clover field in the evening..

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:13 PM

Food plots were not planted last year of opening weekend. Post an aerial of unit 6 and I’ll point out a spot where I saw good sign on the line.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1

Yep, my buddy got his email just before lunch I believe. I think all the SOA managers do their own unit selections so they all get them out at different times.

Does each SOA have a manager just assigned to that property or is it just one of the biologists in the region?

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:51 PM

Food plots were not planted last year of opening weekend. Post an aerial of unit 6 and I’ll point out a spot where I saw good sign on the line.

[Linked Image]

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Does each SOA have a manager just assigned to that property or is it just one of the biologists in the region?

I believe each SOA has its own specific manager just for the SOA itself and then the area biologist is over them.

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/20/21 11:13 PM

[Linked Image]

My unit is to the west of your unit split by a dirt road locked behind the gate.. I did talk to a guy that had your unit two years ago who said it was covered up with deer. There’s a big creek that runs through it with acorn bearing trees that should be awesome hunting.. I was hoping your unit was another one that is on the western border of my unit last year..
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/21/21 12:17 AM

Hunted that area before it was the soa and it had lots of deer and bobcats too. Saw the biggest cat I ever seen down there look out for them things. They will holler at dark and scare the crap out of you. Had one eat a whole gut pile between 10am and 2 pm. Also was tracking a bowshot doe at night and a cat was following the bloodtrail too trying to beat us to it.
Posted By: Khitzeman

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/21/21 12:52 AM

Coosa1 u can pm me I hunted 7 2 times in last 3 years. 1 bow hunt early and 1 gun hunt late
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/21/21 01:06 AM

The biggest deer I’ve ever shot at in alabama came off that place. I was so damn nervous I’d been better off throwing the gun out the window but I tried the shot and missed. Still freaking sick about that deer. That’s been about 20 years ago
Posted By: Boathand

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/21/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by johndeere5036

I was so damn nervous I’d been better off throwing the gun out the window but I tried the shot and missed.

You have to brace the gun against the mirror to get a good shot!
Posted By: Boathand

Re: Portland Landing Section 6 - 09/21/21 02:20 AM

I drew unit 19 at Portland, seems to be a small unit with easy access from roads but any info would be much appreciated.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM