Aldeer.com

How wet is too wet?

Posted By: Huntnwork

How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 12:45 PM

To till or disc your fields for food plots. I’ve always had the option of waiting around til more favorable conditions but with my work schedule this year it’s this weekend or wait til November. Just curious on y’all’s opinion on the subject.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 12:59 PM

You disk it up too wet and you’ll have clods you never will get worked down. Just be patient
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 01:18 PM

If dirt is hanging in your tire lugs it's too wet to plant.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 01:54 PM

If gomer cant drive through it without getting stuck then it's to wet
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220

Sooo you cant plant with a light dew on the ground?
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 02:16 PM

Sounds like a good time to try T&M.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 04:26 PM

PSA for those who hunt in the SW part of the state. It’s too wet to do anything this weekend. It’s too wet to walk in my yard. The ground is rotten like after a snow. Steady wet and rain for about 72 hours. Spend some time with the family this weekend and see what happens next week. Averaging 80-90 inches of rain for 3 years is bad enough. But it’s nasty wet in the woods after this last tropical system.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 04:33 PM

It really depends on the type of soil. Sandy land can be disced when it's pretty wet. Clay or clay loam, bad idea.
It'll be so cloddy that you'll never get it to break down not to mention that it will clog up between your disc blades, sometimes even with blade scrapers. It will wind up taking 2 or 3 times longer. Been there, done that
Posted By: crocker

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 05:16 PM

Pretty wet in central alabama where I am but I am gonna try to disc some grassy areas tomorrow. I like to catch that sweet spot where it just dry enough not to stick to the disc.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220

Come on now, I wouldnt go that far, he'll never get seed in the ground.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
It really depends on the type of soil. Sandy land can be disced when it's pretty wet. Clay or clay loam, bad idea.
It'll be so cloddy that you'll never get it to break down not to mention that it will clog up between your disc blades, sometimes even with blade scrapers. It will wind up taking 2 or 3 times longer. Been there, done that

I tried to disc in prairie soil one time when it was too moist and the 8 foot disc quickly turned into something that looked like a solid rolling pin.
It took forever to dig out the soil stuck between all the discs.
#NeverAgain
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/17/21 11:59 PM

Well I tilled about half of my remaining fields this evening then saw the clouds start rolling in. So I went ahead and seeded and spread fertilizer on them and started dragging when the bottom fell out. My homemade drag does not work well in dirt that isn’t dry. It’s too heavy for wet/moist soil. Acts more like a bulldozer vs a drag. I am gonna add making me a cultipacker to my unending list of things to do. But on a side note the Kubota tilled the shiznit out of that ground today. Tomorrow may be a different story. Thinking tomorrow I’ll just till the rest if possible and spread seed/ fertilizer, let the rain on it and hope for the best. If I hadn’t already sprayed and cut it I would just throw and mow it
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
If dirt is hanging in your tire lugs it's too wet to plant.

What my grandpa always said
Posted By: AC870

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 02:24 AM

I thought from the title this was about something else…..
Posted By: Bigtymer81

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

lol
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

. Hmm, too wet? Nah.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 11:56 AM

I have nothing but deep sand. I just need a break between showers... LOL!
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 12:34 PM

Well the club is going to carry on and plant in a bout an hour. Not gonna be good. I’ll go ahead and say it before we get started. Mad bc I showed up late, told the prez I thought he had better sense than to show up at all...
Posted By: CNC

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HippieKiller
Posted By: coachg34

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 10:01 PM

My neighbor who is not with us anymore was one of the best gardeners I've ever know. He said take a handful of dirt , make a ball out of it and drop it on the ground. If it stays together it's too wet ! If you work it too wet it will be a mess to work in the future .
Posted By: TDog93

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 10:04 PM

It to wet to even cut grass for while - big puddles standing in my yard for days - ain’t time for me to plant but could not if I wanted too
Posted By: dBmV

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by HippieKiller

Been bush hogging fields all day and they are wet as hell. Kept thinking that it would be a perfect time to just throw the seed and then cut them. Oh well maybe next year. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much tonight to get across the creek and I can finish cutting tomorrow.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 10:33 PM

If your seed floats when you throw it out, it might be too wet.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/18/21 10:33 PM

I planted 3 fields this morning, I had disc the fields last week and went back this morning and cut them again spread my seed and covered them with the disc. The ground was perfect.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: How wet is too wet? - 09/19/21 09:29 PM

I seeded one lease Friday and we just got done mowing everything today in the rain. This lease has ZERO topsoil. It’s all old reclaimed land and spoil piles so throw and now is our only option.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM