Aldeer.com

Thigpen Hill

Posted By: BrentsFX4

Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 02:11 PM

Selected for February 3 hunt, looking for info., places to stay, etc. Thanks
Posted By: Cleckler

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 02:24 PM

I'm going on the Dec. 2nd. hunt and booked the Quality Inn in Greenville yesterday. It was $252 for 3 nights.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 02:27 PM

I know nothing about it but Sherling lake campground is just down the road
Posted By: fourfive45

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 03:57 PM

I know that will be a great time for the rut in that area.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 04:01 PM

Im camping at sherling lake.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/14/21 11:46 PM

Greenville is 15 minutes south. Sherling Lake is closer. RTJ golf course is close too. I’m staying at my camp 15 minutes north of Thigpen. Got real lucky.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/15/21 01:46 PM

Which hunt were you drawn for doc?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/15/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrentsFX4
Which hunt were you drawn for doc?

12/2-12/5

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/15/21 06:00 PM

I will be contacting you afterwards if thats ok doc?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/15/21 10:09 PM

I will be contacting you afterwards if thats ok doc?

That's fine. I'll let you know what I see!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/21/21 06:45 PM

I received an email saying they would get unit information out by October 1st. They are still working on roads boundaries and creating food plots. Sounds like the row adds are in pretty rough shape so bring yo wheeler or buggy .

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/21/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
I received an email saying they would get unit information out by October 1st. They are still working on roads boundaries and creating food plots. Sounds like the row adds are in pretty rough shape so bring yo wheeler or buggy .

got same email today.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 09/21/21 08:01 PM

We’ll be down to scout on 10/10. See y’all there.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/01/21 10:08 PM

I got unit 10 on the south end of the property.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/01/21 11:40 PM

I got unit 2 on north end. Will be there next weekend to check it out. I’m on the Dec. 2 hunt. Will look a lot different in 2 months.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/02/21 12:56 AM

We got Unit 8 by road.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/02/21 05:39 PM

I got Unit 8 in February

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/03/21 02:50 AM

BrentsFX4 are you going to scout. We will be there Sunday.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/03/21 02:55 AM

Cleckler its My anniversary I will be in Blue Ridge, I was gonna reach out to you. I was wondering about road conditions? Im trying to sponsor a stand in to scout but no confirmations yet. Depending on road conditions I may bring the sxs and camp at sherling. Good roads I will get a motel. That unit is bigger than you think on huntstand. I like the no hunting zone adjacent across the road

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/04/21 01:53 AM

I was wondering about road conditions? I may bring the sxs and camp at sherling. Good roads I will get a motel. That unit is bigger than you think on huntstand. I like the no hunting zone adjacent across the road

Just tossing in my .02, but I’d bring the sxs. Better to have it and not need it. The letter I received recommended one as they have not had time to do much in the way of road improvement or plant plots.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/04/21 04:50 PM

I got #9. I’ve talked with the guy over this SOA. He said bring an atv if you have one. Sounds like there’s a lot of hogs too. Not my preference on that but oh well. It hasn’t been hunted in 5 years so the pressure is low. I’ll be there 20 Jan.
Posted By: JHL

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/04/21 05:54 PM

[quote=nomercy]I got #9. I’ve talked with the guy over this SOA. He said bring an atv if you have one. Sounds like there’s a lot of hogs too. Not my preference on that but oh well. It hasn’t been hunted in 5 years so the pressure is low. I’ll be there 20 Jan. [/quote

Probably been hunted on in the past five years.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/04/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JHL
[quote=nomercy]I got #9. I’ve talked with the guy over this SOA. He said bring an atv if you have one. Sounds like there’s a lot of hogs too. Not my preference on that but oh well. It hasn’t been hunted in 5 years so the pressure is low. I’ll be there 20 Jan. [/quote

Probably been hunted on in the past five years.

Okay……legally and to their knowledge.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/06/21 07:34 PM

pm Cleckler

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/06/21 08:25 PM

Replied

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/07/21 02:11 AM

Y’all gonna be there Saturday?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/07/21 04:47 AM

I’m trying to be there Sunday

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/07/21 11:21 AM

Im trying to get down there Sunday.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/08/21 09:31 PM

Who is a good processor in that area? I'm hearing there are hogs at Thigpen. Do y'all know if a local processor will take the hogs too? We will be traveling from Hoover and can always drop the hogs off at Reed's in Clanton, if we have to.

Thanks!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/09/21 09:47 PM

Well? Whats the verdict from those that attended?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 02:12 AM

Well? Whats the verdict from those that attended?

Lots and lots and lots of hogs. I honestly didn’t see a lot of deer sign. Pretty property tho. I walked over 3 miles through my section.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 02:46 AM

Im a north Bama plowboy who aint ever killed a wild hog, they good eating? I seen Reeds processing mentioned, that the general census for good processor down there?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 03:01 AM

Im a north Bama plowboy who aint ever killed a wild hog, they good eating? I seen Reeds processing mentioned, that the general census for good processor down there?

There was a processor brochure at the sign in shed. I picked one up just because it was there. It’s in my truck so I’ll check it tomorrow.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 03:18 AM

They aren’t great eating but they’re not terrible. Bucksters in Montgomery will process hogs. Probably about a 45 mile drive from Greenville. If you want to try a hog that bad and don’t end up killing one there are plenty of us southerners that will gladly let you come pick up one

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc

There was a processor brochure at the sign in shed. I picked one up just because it was there. It’s in my truck so I’ll check it tomorrow.

I usually take atleast one hog to Bucksters and just have it made into sausage. One hog made into sausage will usually feed us breakfast for the rest of hunting season

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 05:50 PM

Went and scouted Thigpen this morning. Unit 8 is some Thick stuff. The place has an unbelievable amount of hog sign. I grabbed one of the flyers at the kiosk for Josh’s Deer Processing 334-371-3337. Looks like he’s close to the land for those needing a processor down there.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/10/21 11:46 PM

My unit is thick as yesterday's oatmeal... notta whiteoak on the place. I did see several deer .
Posted By: Ballplay

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/12/21 06:05 PM

I was in Unit 3 on Saturday, thick in spots but definitely tons of hog sign.
Posted By: perryau1996

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/13/21 02:13 PM

I scouted zone 6. I'll be there Oct 21-24. There was a ton of hog sign. I didn't see a lot of deer sign. A few scrapes and a few rubs. There are a lot of oaks but only a few with acorns underneath. Either there is not a big crop or the hogs keep them sucked up. I did find a persimmon tree that was loaded but not dropping yet and I plan on that being my first sit if my camera shows any action.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/26/21 11:17 PM

Perryau1996 - so how did the hunt at Thigpen go??

Anybody else hunted it yet?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/27/21 01:48 PM

Post up Perryau1966. I hope you saw some action! I'm scheduled for Dec 2-5 on section 2 across the road from 6.
Posted By: perryau1996

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/28/21 12:07 PM

My guest and I saw alot of does and hogs. My guest saw one buck I think. I killed two hogs and one pine tree lol. The does stayed out of reach. We hunted mainly the creek bottoms because everything was too thick for bow.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: Thigpen Hill - 10/28/21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cleckler
Went and scouted Thigpen this morning. Unit 8 is some Thick stuff. The place has an unbelievable amount of hog sign. I grabbed one of the flyers at the kiosk for Josh’s Deer Processing 334-371-3337. Looks like he’s close to the land for those needing a processor down there.

Josh does a great job with deer. Very clean operation. But he will NOT take a pig. He's pretty adamant that it is not allowed and he can articulate why (it has to do with how the government doesn't differentiate between domestic and wild hogs and a "hog" is considered livestock so it has to go to an inspected livestock processor). I know there are processors who take hogs and deer, but I'm not sure they're right to be doing that under the law.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/19/21 03:13 PM

bump for info on Thigpen. Will be there in 2 weeks.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/19/21 08:51 PM

I got Jan 20. Keep up the info. We’ll be staying at the campground. I got unit 9

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/19/21 09:47 PM

I hunted unit 10 three weeks ago. Saw a bunch of does & hogs. The week I was there they hunted 1,3,5,7,9,&10. Several guys killed does but no bucks. A friend of a friend is hunting unit 9 now. Said he's seen several decent bucks but no shooters.

Nomercy that southern rd that separates 9&10 is in rough shape. The creek crossing was pretty bad . Once you get past it the road is good. Pm me if you have any questions.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/20/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
I hunted unit 10 three weeks ago. Saw a bunch of does & hogs. The week I was there they hunted 1,3,5,7,9,&10. Several guys killed does but no bucks. A friend of a friend is hunting unit 9 now. Said he's seen several decent bucks but no shooters.

Nomercy that southern rd that separates 9&10 is in rough shape. The creek crossing was pretty bad . Once you get past it the road is good. Pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the heads up. We plan on having 4 wheelers if we need them.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/20/21 03:05 AM

I got unit 8 for Feb. 3-6
Posted By: Ballplay

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/24/21 08:46 PM

I will be in Unit 5 Jan 20th

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/29/21 09:47 PM

This is our week to hunt Thigpen. Temps in the mid-70s, otherwise looking forward to the hunt!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/29/21 11:23 PM

Good luck keep us posted!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/29/21 11:27 PM

I'll be there in Unit 2. Will be by myself Thurday pm and Friday am. Will have a guest Friday pm and Saturday am. Prob won't hunt Saturday pm. Will be alone Sunday am.

This is our week to hunt Thigpen. Temps in the mid-70s, otherwise looking forward to the hunt!

What unit y'all got?

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/30/21 12:42 AM

I'll be there in Unit 2. Will be by myself Thurday pm and Friday am. Will have a guest Friday pm and Saturday am. Prob won't hunt Saturday pm. Will be alone Sunday am.

What unit y'all got?

We’ve got unit 8. Will be there Thursday - Sunday.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 11/30/21 02:27 AM

Copy that. Plan is to hang a couple of stands Thursday and hunt one of them.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/02/21 03:50 AM

Pm to ya Cleckler.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/02/21 04:45 AM

Pm to ya Cleckler.

Got it. Back at ya.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/02/21 03:26 PM

Let us know what ya see.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/03/21 02:45 AM

Day 1 - 76°, we hung 5 stands and cameras. Got through in time to sit from 3:30 till dark. Only saw 1 hen Turkey. Back at the skinning rack this evening, 2 other groups were there. Hanging was an ~90 lb doe, 1 sow, and a 60# button head.
Got to meet and have dinner with Bamaeyedoc. 🍻

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/03/21 03:40 AM

Cleckler is good people! His buddy Griffin is as well. Enjoyed the dinner and the fellowship!

Today I hung 2 stands and put up a pop up blind on a plot that is barely coming up but had a lot of traffic. I hunted a hardwood draw and saw one doe at dark. Wind was bad for me and 75 degrees and even tho I changed clothes after hanging stands and walking all over, I’m sure I was stinking up the area.

I saw a pig from the ranger when I arrived at my area. Saw a flag and got blown at as I was walking in to my spot today. Wasn’t 50 yards from ranger.

Gonna take another stand in the morning and try to hunt til noon. Got a buddy meeting me after lunch so maybe we’ll have some luck.

Pretty worn out. Having a Crown nightcap and heading to that pillow!

Will post up something at lunch tomorrow.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/03/21 06:20 AM

Thanks for the updates. Y’all get after it and get something good!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/03/21 12:46 PM

Thanks guys….good luck

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/04/21 05:30 AM

Day 2 - still hot, but it didn’t effect the deer in my area (Unit 8). Saw 4 different bucks, 6 does, and 1 fawn.
I was blessed to take the biggest buck this evening.

[Linked Image]

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/04/21 10:19 PM

Saw nothing but a bobcat Friday.

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/04/21 11:10 PM

Saturday. Different story. Stay tuned.😁
Posted By: G/H

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 01:26 AM

popcorn

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 02:10 AM

Thigpen Hill SOA gives up another buck this morning! 7pt weighed 175lbs I’ll post the story later and it’s a pretty good
one!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: swampoak

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 02:11 AM

Good buck congrats
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 02:17 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: mman

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 02:22 AM

Congratulations!!!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 02:26 AM

Good looking rifle Doc

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 03:43 AM

Day 3 - still hot, saw 2 does and 5 hogs. No shot on pigs. My buddy shot a doe at 1:15. Lots of midday movement. He said he had a buck come in at dark but couldn’t tell how big. We got cell cam pics from his stand and it was an 8pt outside the ears. Congrats to Bamaeyedoc, that was a good looking buck!
Posted By: G/H

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 12:38 PM

Congrats Doc
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/05/21 01:36 PM

Congrats on the bucks fellas !!

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/06/21 01:20 AM

I saw one doe this morning and my buddy got a doe. Overall, we had a great time and I would jump at the chance to go back. 👍👍

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/06/21 01:39 PM

Pm Clecker
Posted By: Omega One

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/06/21 01:48 PM

Congrats guys!
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/06/21 08:00 PM

Great bucks! Congrats guys!
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Thigpen Hill - 12/07/21 03:56 PM

Still waiting on story eyedoc