Aldeer.com

How would you hunt this area

Posted By: jsh1904

How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 12:32 AM

I figured I would throw this out there and see what everyone's thoughts are. This is part of the WMA that I hunt and I have focused a lot on hunting the Swamp Line. To the left you can see 500-800 yards of low lying swampland with a powerline in the middle. When we were scouting the area I saw some tracks, a few old scrapes and a lot of trails that deer/hogs have been using. I climb a tree in an ara that allows me to see about 70 yards into the swamp and also a fair distance uphill towards the high ground (to the right of the swamp line). I have seen a lot of does in this area and have jumped several deer when walking in as well.

The other area, Spot 2, is very high ground with oaks and pines. Not much deer sign other than some old scrapes but you can't see many tracks because of the terrain. There are a lot of palms but plenty of open area if you climb a tree.

To the north there is a lot of terrain similar to this but I don't hunt it much because the palms are so friggin thick. A lot of people tend to pull their boat up on the creek bank and hunt within 50 yards of their parked boat.

My question is this, if it were you where would you hunt and why? I figure that where there are does the bucks should follow (eventually) so I stay on that swamp line a lot but wonder if it would be better to move to the higher ground.

Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 12:55 AM

Spend the last 2 weeks of the season hunting where the does are.

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: scrubbuck
Spend the last 2 weeks of the season hunting where the does are.

Thanks, that was kinda what I figured but since this is only my 2nd year hunting again since I was a kid I wanted to make sure that I wasn't way off base.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 01:34 AM

If you are jumping deer out of their bed walking in, thats not where you want to be walking in at. That is a bedding area and you are screwing em up by disturbing them. Them bigguns are not gonna stay on that island. When the does start getting right, they are gonna roam around. If I were you and if at all possible, walk that power line on a day with a north or south wind and find the biggest trail crossing it to the main land. A whitetail deer is lazy. They are gonna travel the easiest route possible without being seen. Find a funnel. Once you find that trail, do not walk down the trail. Back out of there and set up close enough to the bedding area where the deer cant see you, hear you, or smell you walk in. Do not walk down the trail. Hope this helps some
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 01:37 AM

Oh, and do not walk down the trail.
Posted By: OlAlabama

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 02:24 AM

The bed will be in the pines. The food will be in the Oaks.

I'd park myself somewhere between the two. Walk it one day to find the trails and figure out the wind condition. Mark your spot. Come back the next day and sit a spell. This time a year, luck is with you
Posted By: slanddeerhunter

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 02:47 AM

id come in by boat on the other side of the wood lot if its not to soupy you'd be coming in from down wind most likely

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 02:58 AM

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 03:06 AM

ps: dont lob no bullets accross the bog into bow hunt area ya might hit me.

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: slanddeerhunter
ps: dont lob no bullets accross the bog into bow hunt area ya might hit me.

No need, last Sunday gunshot came FROM the bow property. Better wear your Orange kevlar vest.

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 03:13 AM

amazing you huntn that close to one of my spots

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 03:16 AM

stay outta my tree!

edit: that is obviously not the same place I hunt because there aren't empty corn bags and beer cans.

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/04/12 03:21 AM

yea most of them people are to lazy to go back where im at its a mile or more walk or bike ride to get to my stand.
if you look past the big tree center of pic you can see the boggy area and you should be straight accross up a little from me
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: How would you hunt this area - 01/05/12 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: slanddeerhunter
amazing you huntn that close to one of my spots

Thats a purty spot.... look out... been wanting to check out that bow hunting area. smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM