Aldeer.com

Clover

Posted By: billrv

Clover - 04/20/21 11:55 AM

Going to try some Ladino Clover in N.W. Fl. PH is fine with fair soil. Question...should I use a cover crop to help it get started.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Clover - 04/20/21 01:54 PM

About 40-50 lbs of cereal rye per acre......Stay with a light rate so you give the clover plenty of space
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Clover - 04/20/21 02:19 PM

Plant in fall, not spring
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Clover - 04/20/21 05:52 PM

In the spring you should be able to get away without planting anything else. I planted clover, chicory and oats last fall. I over seeded more clover and chicory about a month ago and just sprayed last weekend. Should have to bush hog about in a couple weeks and let it roll for the summer.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Clover - 04/20/21 09:18 PM

The heat in late summer is what kills ladino. I have always planted it in the fall at 8.25 #s per acre with a bag of cereal rye to over seed. I don't think there is enough time for the roots to be established before August.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Clover - 04/20/21 11:05 PM

Clover does well with a little semi-shade to help protect it from the midday heat......it likes a little moisture and the semi-shade helps to conserve moisture and keep down on midday temps......A standing crop of cereal rye can help provide some semi-shade for the first part of summer if not mowed down ......
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Clover - 04/21/21 12:41 PM

Crimson planted in the fall after you get your ground is ready would be a much better choice IMO . A weed free plot is much easier to maintain.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Clover - 04/21/21 05:20 PM

we've got tons of clover in our fields from fall planting and also tons of oats and brassicas. It's all getting pretty tall at this point. What is the best way to handle it in the next month or so to try and let the clover thrive? Will just bush hogging it with the cutter up off the ground a bit do the job or do I need to spray it with cleth and let it do it's thing before cutting?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Clover - 04/21/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
we've got tons of clover in our fields from fall planting and also tons of oats and brassicas. It's all getting pretty tall at this point. What is the best way to handle it in the next month or so to try and let the clover thrive? Will just bush hogging it with the cutter up off the ground a bit do the job or do I need to spray it with cleth and let it do it's thing before cutting?

Annual or perennial clover ? If an annual clover mow after seed heads have dried.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Clover - 04/21/21 07:35 PM

Once the grass starts growing fast and the deer quit eating it, around the first of March for us, spray.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Clover - 05/06/21 10:56 PM

If the wheat and oats aren't thick, do nothing. If you are worried about grasses overtaking your plot, spray with clethodim, but make sure grasses are growing and not fully mature. If mature, you prolly need to mow, wait a week, and then spray cleth.
Posted By: Ragin-Cajun

Re: Clover - 05/19/21 01:35 AM

Grows better in soil w more clay than sandy. Read dr. Craig Harper’s clover articles. Wealth of information.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM