Aldeer.com

Dallas Cty Rut Report

Posted By: Squeaky

Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/02/12 03:11 PM

Okay guy's I will start hunting on the 4th so thought I would add us a "Rut Report" thread for those that hunt Dallas Cty or the surrounding counties. I will try to post up what I see daily starting on the 4th. If anyone as any recent info to get this thread off an running please contribute.

Good luck to everyone that will be hunting over the next month. I have a feeling the 7th-14th will be a prime time to be in the woods in our area.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/02/12 07:17 PM

Hope your feeling is right squeaky. That's the exact time I'm gonna be there. 7th-14th. Haven't heard much about the Selma area where I hunt at but this is usually the time the bigguns get stupid. A few years ago, I was heading to Winn Dixie on Dallas Avenue. It was in the middle of the day on the 7th of January. As soon as I passed 219, a doe ran across the road followed by an absolute giant 8pt which came within a few feet of being roadkill. When I say giant, I mean 140"+. I had to pull over at Morgan Academy and catch my breath.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/02/12 08:57 PM

Based off my trail camera survey last year there were several mature bucks on their feet during day light hours a few days prior to the full moon and after. I plan to do all days sits as much as I can. I think the 7-14 will be some very good days to sit as long as you can. We'll see as I will try to keep this thread updated once I start hunting.

Yeah I haven't heard much from the area I hunt either. The guy's I hunt with don't hunt very hard. When they do hunt it's in a shooting house. Our woods receive very little hunting pressure so that's where I'll be hunting.
Posted By: Shuter II

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/02/12 09:14 PM

The rut has officially started in my neck of the woods.

Saw some older mature bucks, w/necks & glands chasing yesterday and today.
Posted By: RareBreed

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/03/12 12:49 AM

I went this afternoon from 3pm-dark. First doe came out about 4:15. She was running around and trailing her was a decent six pt. Not much more activity in the green field. I climbed down and sat on the edge of old cotton field about 10 minutes before dark. Deer chasing everywhere! Had four bucks that I could glass in different areas of the field. Saw one really good one wayyy on the other side. Too far and too dark to shoot. I saw a scape walking in to stand with one of the biggest set of tracks I've ever seen. The length of the hoof was unbelievable. It's officially on in my neck of the woods! Hunting north central Dallas and southeast Perry county, close to Cahaba river.
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/03/12 01:08 AM

I hunted Wednesday through Friday with my girlfriend and her family at their lease off of hwy. 219 this past week. Scrapes where everywhere, but few deer were seen (mainly a few small bucks). We only saw 4 deer in 4 hunts; weather was pretty bad too, though...

My girlfriend killed her first deer (a 3 pt.) Thursday afternoon. His neck was very swollen, but his tarsals weren't stained...

I haven't ever hunted the area prior to this past week, but I just kind of assumed the rut would be the last 10 days of season or so. I was surprised at the amount of sign we saw/found, and I agree with you, Mike (I believe the rut will be in a couple of weeks).

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/03/12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: AUdeerhunter
I hunted Wednesday through Friday with my girlfriend and her family at their lease off of hwy. 219 this past week. Scrapes where everywhere, but few deer were seen (mainly a few small bucks). We only saw 4 deer in 4 hunts; weather was pretty bad too, though...

My girlfriend killed her first deer (a 3 pt.) Thursday afternoon. His neck was very swollen, but his tarsals weren't stained...

I haven't ever hunted the area prior to this past week, but I just kind of assumed the rut would be the last 10 days of season or so. I was surprised at the amount of sign we saw/found, and I agree with you, Mike (I believe the rut will be in a couple of weeks).

Congrats on the girlfriend's kill. I watched the video and thought that was cool!!! grin thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/03/12 01:17 PM

Thanks, Mike! Good luck in the upcoming weeks! Keep us updated!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/03/12 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: AUdeerhunter
Thanks, Mike! Good luck in the upcoming weeks! Keep us updated!!

You got it buddy...head home today an will be in the woods bright an early if the "Good Lords" willing. Good Luck to you!!!grin
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/04/12 03:52 AM

See you tomorrow night!
Posted By: ArtisticWhitetails

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/04/12 04:10 AM

Mike,
I got a stud of 8 point in from Dallas last night. 6yo, weighed over 230lbs and had a huge swollen neck. I rough scored him at 148 and change. Helluva buck!!!

He came out pushing a doe on a food plot.
Posted By: RSQ601

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/04/12 04:44 AM

Hi Guys , new registered user but followed forum for years.. just decided to jump in .
I hunt southeast Dallas Co. I hunted Wed , Thurs , Sat , Sun of last week. We saw very few deer each day until Sunday afternoon.Wife saw two rack bucks on green field. One crossed field and did not stop and the other came out about 5:10 pm , had main frame 8 on one side and other side maybe broken off ? ,she could not tell.
Seen numerous scrapes and rubs , seems to be a week or so earlier than last several years.
I killed a nice 8 pt last year Jan 17th , so I think it is getting close in this area. Headed back Thursday night for the weekend....I will try to post report....weather does not look the greatest but cant kill them at home !
Good Hunting

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/04/12 09:11 PM

Alright guys in a tree for my first hunt. I have the PSE EVO in hand this afternoon. I ready to let the air out of one these Dallas Cty studs. I'm hunting a little creek drain that runs into Soap Stone Creek. There are lots of water oaks on this drain. The deer sign is here with several fresh scrapes and the trails are tore up with tracks. I have 169 pics on my trail camera that's on a trail leading by my stand. Gonna check the card tonight to see if any shooters are coming through this area. So far haven't seen anything but I have a good feeling about this area. Y'all stay tuned as I will update this thread as much as possible.
Posted By: REEFD

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 01:59 AM

Well!?!? Any shooters on camera?

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: REEFD
Well!?!? Any shooters on camera?

Yeah I have a good 8 & 9 on camera I would shoot with my bow if given the opurtunity. I had a wide short timed 8 under my stand this morning at 8:00 while I was getting my beauty sleep. blush Not a shooter in my book but the bucks are moving through my little area during the morning hours. That stand is definitely a morning spot. I only saw one doe this afternoon right at dark.
Posted By: Little Foot

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 03:55 AM

We are starting to see bucks running does, my brother killed a 220 lb 6pt following a doe in a cutover. Other bucks were seen chasing over the weekend also!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 04:06 AM

Cool....maybe the next 17 days of hunting will be good for me.
Posted By: Bucktrot

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 05:17 AM

ArtisticWhitetail, yes you did. Congrats. A toad it was!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 11:33 AM

I'll be up Monday for a week, then home for a couple days and back for another week.
Posted By: BassCat

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 12:12 PM

pics? Good luck.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat
pics? Good luck.

I can't get them to up load to my photobucket account. Not much service where I'm hunting. Will try to get them on here later today.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 01:41 PM

I'll be up Monday for a week, then home for a couple days and back for another week.

Ron get up with when get here. If you come by the camp I'll cook us a steak one night.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 01:45 PM

Okay back to the topic here. It's been slow only seen one unknown deer. Good news is I had a buck chasing and grunting his tail off in here before daylight. Bad news is I heard a thunder stick go off on neighbors shortly after daylight. He might have went that way and now he's getting to ride in someones truck.:)

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 02:14 PM

Y'all are killing me. Wish I was in the woods. Just looked at the forecast for next week. Looks like warm n rain
Posted By: d_av_s

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr
Y'all are killing me. Wish I was in the woods. Just looked at the forecast for next week. Looks like warm n rain

x2

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 03:07 PM

Just let a 3 1/2 cull walk. Had a 18" to 19" beam one side and short tines on other side. He's very lucky I could not get him on video or I would have let the PSE EVO eat. Also just grunted an can called a 5 pointer in. He also had big spike on one side. He was only 2 1/2 but a smart little bugger. He tried his best to figure me out....never did though. This set is working out just like I thought it would now all I need is a one fiffffffty to walk by....lol.

Sorry fellas about being able to hunt and you guys are having to work. I do my best to keep updates coming for you work'in folks.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 06:31 PM

mad

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 09:10 PM

Here are a few of the bucks using the area I'm bow hunting. Not monster but would make a nice bow kill since I haven't killed a nice Bama buck with my bow. The day light pic of 9 has wrong date. Pic was take Jan 1.

Here are some pics of where I'm hunting this afternoon. Setting on big cotton field with volunteer winter wheat coming up between stalks. It's not uncommon to see 30 to 40 deer on this field in the afternoon. Got some big water oaks behind me that's loaded with big scrapes underneath them.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 10:56 PM

BBD down stay tuned for pics.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky
BBD down stay tuned for pics.

Congrats!!!!! Can't wait to see them!
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 11:27 PM

Awesome!! That didn't take long

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 11:39 PM

Good Job Mike!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 11:42 PM

Okay had a little ground shrinkage. He's a 9 should have let this one walk. He's still a nice buck that eat good.
Posted By: alexsupertramp

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/05/12 11:57 PM

pics coming? congrats! i hunt in dallas county, too and am hoping for a good weekend.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 12:28 AM

Okay here is a pic. He was hot on big doe. They are chasing/following down here.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 12:45 AM

Congrats!!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 12:48 AM

Nothing wrong with that one. Congrats!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 12:50 AM

Just watched processor gut my buck. He had a big lump just behind rib cage. Processor said he had been gored by another buck. If that's what happened it punched through into his guts because a gallon of puss came out of that hole. He had serious infection set up inside him. Very surprised he was up following does. I noticed he looked mighty run down this early.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 03:45 AM

Good deal man! Congrats! U shoot him under the oak? Im headed that way tomorrow if I can get done Us dallas county folks ought to get together n eat at hancocks. Waitn on pics n story. Again congrats!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 03:53 AM

Great buck! Didn't see the pic at first but that's a goodun.
Posted By: BOHNTR

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 06:56 AM

Congrats Squeaky! That's a nice bow kill in Bama!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 01:28 PM

Just passed a nice little 7 pt. He was in easy bow range. He was out crusing and cut the trail of a doe I seen earlier. The chase was on!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BOHNTR
Congrats Squeaky! That's a nice bow kill in Bama!

I must admit I did not get the buck with my bow. I rifled hunted that big crop field due to not having a good wind for any of my bow sets. I have bow in hand this morning though.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 01:36 PM

Nice buck, its happening on our place here as well! Good Luck!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 01:53 PM

Just had two more bucks cruise by. They were all over me....come on Dallas Cty stud where are you at.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 01:59 PM

Squeaky, you've got me fired up! Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough, I'll be in a tree in Dallas County rain or shine.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 02:19 PM

Nothing wrong with that deer Mike, I'll be up Monday night. I got hunters for a couple days then from Thursday on it's all me. Will be in touch before then. Those fields there are hard to bowhunt but their full of arrowheads tho!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 02:30 PM

Good deal man! Congrats! U shoot him under the oak? Im headed that way tomorrow if I can get done Us dallas county folks ought to get together n eat at hancocks. Waitn on pics n story. Again congrats!

I'm game for us Dallas Cty guys to meet up some where. Well see if any of the other guys are cool with meeting up an we'll go from there.
Posted By: alexsupertramp

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 02:32 PM

where is hancocks?

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 02:34 PM

Nothing wrong with that deer Mike, I'll be up Monday night. I got hunters for a couple days then from Thursday on it's all me. Will be in touch before then. Those fields there are hard to bowhunt but their full of arrowheads tho!

Sounds good Ron just holler at me when you can get away. My camera man will be in Sunday so gonna try to get it done on video one last time before season. Will be hunting even harder next week but I want us to meet up. Got deer on me gotta go.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 04:13 PM

Let me know if yall decide to meet up! Hancocks is on 22 west close to Mims Taxidermy, like heading toward Orrville/Pine Hill!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 04:14 PM

Squeaky....
Where exactly are you hunting? I am in the Mollettes Bend area! PM if you would rather!

Brian

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 04:16 PM

I'll be in DC all week. Anytime is fine for me.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Little Foot
Squeaky....
Where exactly are you hunting? I am in the Mollettes Bend area! PM if you would rather!

Brian

Brian I'm hunting just north of Tyler, AL.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 05:01 PM

I'll be in DC all week. Anytime is fine for me.

Yeah I'm good from Saturday night through next week as well.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 05:02 PM

Would that be around the old Sugar Bottom place (Minter tract), kinda close to the Gin? I have some friends that hunt that area. Across road from the Beers! Great area if so, good luck with the big bucks!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 05:07 PM

Would that be around the old Sugar Bottom place (Minter tract), kinda close to the Gin? I have some friends that hunt that area. Across road from the Beers! Great area if so, good luck with the big bucks!

Yeah that's us. We have 2000 acres of old Sugar Bottoms land.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 05:51 PM

I'll be ready to meet up after Monday night, Thursday night or after would be best for me but it's up to y'all .

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 06:35 PM

We oughta do lunch Friday.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 07:24 PM

Squeaky you have a PM

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 08:36 PM

Friday will be one of the better days next week ,I'll probably be in the woods around lunch. Little Foot may have to work during the day anyway?!?!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 09:17 PM

Squeaky you have a PM

Did not get your pm. My in box might be full. I sent you one with my cell number.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 09:20 PM

Friday will be one of the better days next week ,I'll probably be in the woods around lunch. Little Foot may have to work during the day anyway?!?!

Yeah I rather do super one night if that's cool with everyone. I've been sitting late every day just coming out long enough to grab a quick lunch before going to my afternoon spot.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 09:35 PM

Recap of mornings hunt. I was set up in little oak flat between two known bedding areas. There's a good amount of water oaks acorns on this flat and all the browse a deer wants to eat. I saw 13 between daylight and 11:45. Of the 13 I saw 3 rack bucks that were no doubt cruising. They came through on a mission. I also saw two spikes one of which was chasing an grunting every breath. The other spike came into my grunting. The does came through feeding on acorns and browse as they traveled between bedding areas.

I had 175 pics on my camera by this set. One was of the 9pt. I killed yesterday the only other good buck is the one pictured below. Lots of does an small rack bucks traveling through. I'm gonna remain optimistic another shooter or two will pass through once the rut gets to rocking.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 10:34 PM

That one would get an arrow! And, I am truly disappointed in the gun kill! smile

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/06/12 11:07 PM

That one would get an arrow! And, I am truly disappointed in the gun kill! smile

I hear ya...lol. I've been lazy in afternoons due to it being do hot. It's to easy to hope in shooting house on one of these crop fields. I've been bow hunting my woods stands hard in mornings though. I'll get a chance at one just don't want to over hunt my good spots. grin

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 12:19 PM

I heard there was a 178 brought by the co-op yesterday morning form the west side of the river!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 01:58 PM

Ron do you know anyone with pics? That's a stud for sure to score in 170's.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 01:59 PM

Deer movement is slooooow where I'm at. Only seen one spike this AM.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 02:10 PM

One of our guys saw 7 bucks chasing on a cutover so far this morning. Good luck...hope it picks up!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 03:34 PM

A buddy of mine hunting near Safford this morning said....This place is a zoo!!!! I have seen 7 bucks! Passed a 125-130 8 ! They are chasing! !! Like crazy! !!!! Snort wheezing everything!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 03:50 PM

Mickey might have pics of him Mike. My buddys daughter killed this one this morning on our place, feeding on acorns with three other bucks?!?!?!? Here's a before and after of him.
Date is wrong!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 04:00 PM

Is that a big spike on one side?

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 04:03 PM

Good deer Ron looks like a "SOOS" buck. Spike on one side. We have a bunch of them suckers on our place. I saw one yesterday dogging a doe. That makes 3 I've seen in less than a week.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/07/12 11:26 PM

Yea Clarence he's got a spike on the other side.Mike,we have a few on our place south of you and some at the other place as well.
Posted By: keith5579

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 02:27 AM

Let me know if yall decide to meet up! Hancocks is on 22 west close to Mims Taxidermy, like heading toward Orrville/Pine Hill!

Man I love some Hancocks bbq! Y'all eat some for me.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 04:21 AM

Well I made it to Dallas County for a week of huntin. I'll keep y'all up to date on rut activity I see as well. That SOOS buck reminds me of some of the deer we have on our hunting property close to Selma. Most bucks like that we have seen are not spikes on one side but they definitely are not even. 4 on one side, 2 on the other, 5 on one side, 2 or 3 on the other, etc. I killed a 209lb 7pt about 5 years ago that would have been a beautiful 10pt if he had matching sides. However, the same area produces some of the biggest bucks I have ever layed eyes on.
Posted By: fr8-shkr

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 09:21 AM

I hunt in valley grande and alot of my bucks are smaller on one side. Usually the left. Also they seem to have a thing for missing one brow tine. Last year i got a pic of a monster bodied deer. He was beautiful, perfect, wide, 4 on one side and had double beams on the other side with nothing on them. Got his pick after season and aint seen him since.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 09:26 AM

Oh yeah, since it is the rut report. I haven't seen a lot of sign. Closed the day out thursday with the sun going down, with ten does on the field. Couldn't get a spike to come out and show interest. It will come though. Just hope im there when it does!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 11:51 AM

I'll do some updates next week, they won't be live tho. AT&T service sucks but I'll post when I get out of the woods.Trying to figure out how to get my photos to copy to the site from my photobucket.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 12:01 PM

Trying to post pics from my phone,maybe it'll work!

This is spot between two bedding areas, it was just a grown up road til I took the dozer and widened it a lil bit. Deer cross back and forth all day long.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 12:59 PM

Im out here on a place in Marion Jct. Ain't seen a thing yet but there's fresh scrapes on my food plot and tons of rubs. Last year there wasn't hardly a track to be found on this property but it looks promising this year. Im hearing a few shots.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 01:02 PM

My Steyr is itching to put a Biggun on the fround

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 01:02 PM

Good luck!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 01:54 PM

Slow on our place since this freaking heat wave moved in. Saw 5
bucks yesterday only one bumped a doe around. Slept in this morning due to fog and the rain but on stand now. Saw one small buck walking in. He's was feeding on water oaks. I hope we get some cold weather back down here soon!!!
Posted By: 04 Spoiler

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 01:58 PM

Yall are F'n killing me... Come on THURSDAY, DAMN...
Posted By: 04 Spoiler

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 02:07 PM

Got to hunt Ms. Minter's place several times, DANG FUN place to hunt...
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 03:20 PM

Headin to Pleasant Hill on thursday through sunday. Hope to hit this one just right!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 04:35 PM

She does it again!!! Same stand as yesterday morning with the same results. Chasin a doe back and forth across a bulldozer cut, missed the first shot but he kept chasin her across. Second shot was good and she has her second in two days. I have no pics of this deer even tho I've ran four and five cameras on this place for four months.Better pics coming!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 04:46 PM

Wow!!!!! Congrats to her!!!!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 09:12 PM

I have two big cull bucks locked on a hot doe. The bigger of the two has her pushed out in this big crop field and the other buck keeps circling them.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 09:16 PM

She does it again!!! Same stand as yesterday morning with the same results. Chasin a doe back and forth across a bulldozer cut, missed the first shot but he kept chasin her across. Second shot was good and she has her second in two days. I have no pics of this deer even tho I've ran four and five cameras on this place for four months.Better pics coming!

That's a dang good one there Ron....a big congrats to her grin thumbup
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 10:06 PM

I have two big cull bucks locked on a hot doe. The bigger of the two has her pushed out in this big crop field and the other buck keeps circling them.

Choot em, choot em laugh

Been enjoyin these live-time posts here and on Pensacola forum. I been sick so haven't been able to go huntin yet, and this is the next best thing to bein there. Keep up the good work thumbup
Posted By: deadeye

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 10:21 PM

GOOD one!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 10:30 PM

Its comin a flood here in selma now. Had 5 does in the field until a flash of lightning ran em off. The mature does all had very dark hock glands. My dad grunted in some bucks this morning. Two of em wouldn't come out of the thicket. He finally saw the rack of one of em and saw that it met his "criteria" of pope n young or better. He tried to roll the safety off on his steyr .270 and it was stuck. After jiggling it he got it rolled over. He looked through the brush and all he could see was the shoulder of the buck. That's all he needed to see. He shot. Bang flop. Then the big buck that he thought he was shootn at took off. The buck he ended up shootn turned out to be a 2.5 year old 7pt that had a 14-15" spread. Oh well. I owe him a bottle of rum now if I don't kill anything bigger. He grunted them bucks in at 10:10 this mornin. I sure enjoy coming up here to DC and spending time with Pops. Even better when deer hit the ground no matter how big they are.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 10:31 PM

That's a goodun man! Congrats to her!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 11:31 PM

GOSH DANG BOYS.....the freaking woods just exploded on me. Been sitting here hoping the rain would hold off until dark when all of a sudden I hear a deer snorting behind me. Next thing I know is a freaking doe is running wide open start to me with 5 or 6 bucks hot on her tail. I'm trying to see if there's a bug one in the bunch when the STUD buck makes his appearance. Now I'm gonna tell y'all I have never heard the likes of what these deer where doing. That all got 15 yards of me an started snort wheezing, growling, coughing I mean just freaking put on a show. I had two tie up to fighting an get it on!!! Ole stud buck got on the doe walked out 10 yards where I could get a good look and I let the Thunder Stick bark grin BBD down baby!! Head home pics will be up tonight.

Recap seen around 8 bucks all locked on does. It's on in Dallas Cty baby grin

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 11:53 PM

Congrats, Mike!

I'll be in Dallas Co. this weekend...maybe they'll still be going crazy thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/08/12 11:54 PM

Heck yeah!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 01:24 AM

Squeaky,if you're not careful you'll tag out to soon and spend the rest of the season doing honey do's.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 01:39 AM

Squeaky,if you're not careful you'll tag out to soon and spend the rest of the season doing honey do's.

The wife would be glad if I tagged out. She hasn't seen me much since Sep. Ole Jody might be up set if I tag out grin I'm leaving thunder stick at camp from now on. Last tag is reserved for bow buck. I hung a stand at lunch today that's a killer spot!!! Absoutley loaded with buck sign.
Posted By: Rafalsky

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 01:54 AM

I hunt in Benton on Big Swamp Creek and enjoy all the updates. Keep them coming
Posted By: BassCat

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 02:11 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 02:29 AM

Squeaky...You are making it look too easy! Congrats.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 02:38 AM

Okay guy's here are the pics of the buck I killed this afternoon. He's not gonna score real well but I assure you he's about mature as they come. He wighed in at 215 pounds has a huge neck and killer browtines. My taxidermist estimated him a 5.5 just taking a quick look at his teeth. He will get a better look once he capes him out.

Posted By: msudog

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 02:46 AM

that's a fine buck! congrat!!
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:06 AM

Sounds like that boom stick is working, screw that bow. grin

Congrats on another fine buck Mike.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:22 AM

Congrats again Mike! I'd call him loppy.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 02:35 PM

What y'all seeing this morning? I went home last night an slept in because fog was so bad up here. I thought it would be so thick this morning it would be hard to see. It's actually clear at home.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:01 PM

I actually didn't go. I got up at 4 and ut was pouring down outside and wasn't gonna let up so I caught up on my Zs. Bout to head out and hang another loc-on. The yard does came by the backyard at about 8:00 or so. One of these days they will bring a big buck with em.
Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:15 PM

Squeaky, you are very fortunate man, some people go there whole lifes without experiencing hunting like that. Are you hunting private land? Sure couldnt be much pressure on them.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BibbCounty
Squeaky, you are very fortunate man, some people go there whole lifes without experiencing hunting like that. Are you hunting private land? Sure couldnt be much pressure on them.

Yes Sir.....I'm very fortunate and thankful!!! I do hunt private land and have had the whole 2000 acres to myself since Wed. until one of my buddies which is a club member came down to hunt yesterday with me. We have 10 members but most don't hunt very hard. When they do hunt they go to a shooting house.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:29 PM

I actually didn't go. I got up at 4 and ut was pouring down outside and wasn't gonna let up so I caught up on my Zs. Bout to head out and hang another loc-on. The yard does came by the backyard at about 8:00 or so. One of these days they will bring a big buck with em.

Yeah I need to catch up on some z's myslef. Plus it sucks getting up at 3:30 to make it down in time to do a morning hunt.

We still gonna try to do a get together for us Dallas Cty guy's? If so let's shoot for Friday or Saturday night when Ron can make it. I'm gonna PM you my contact info.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 03:33 PM

Yes Sir.....I'm very fortunate and thankful!!! I do hunt private land and have had the whole 2000 acres to myself since Wed. until one of my buddies which is a club member came down to hunt yesterday with me. We have 10 members but most don't hunt very hard. When they do hunt they go to a shooting house.

Nothing wrong with that.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 04:24 PM

Way to go Mike, KH told me it was "ON" on yalls place, and it looks like it! Congrats to both of you!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 08:05 PM

Fixing to head out,got to get there in time to watch the game tonight. I'll update in the morning after I hunt. We can get together whenever y'all want to, Wednesday is the only bad night for me really.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/09/12 09:35 PM

Ten 4 Ron you got my number just give me a call.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 12:37 AM

Friday or Saturday night sounds good to me. I went in the "swamp" this evening. Had owls just about give me a heart attack when they started their hootn at each other. Sounds like a bunch of monkeys. Sat next to a 15 year old clearcut where I know for a fact there is a biggun bedded up. They wouldn't respond to my charming deer whistle. Saw a doe and a youngan at 3:30, and a cowhorn spike at 4:30. He was cruisin sho nuff. He went the wrong way and got downwind of me. He then proceeded to tell me how bad I stunk. Don't think they are quite ready to bust loose yet around here but it is really close. My stepmother sat on the powerline this evening and saw a biggun cross with his nose to the ground. She said he was on a mission to find him some. I think this cold weather coming in should get em really goin. The weather channel and NWS websites differ somewhat though. NWS has the temp in the upper 20s and low 30s Thursday and Friday night while TWC has low 20s.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 02:02 AM

I saw 12 this after with 2 of those being bucks. One was just feeding and one was chasing a doe an seemed locked on her pretty good.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 11:29 AM

Well, sitting here watching it rain, looks like we might get a break alil later. I'm gonna when it stops .
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 11:47 AM

This dude was cruising the edge of a swamp on the 2nd in Dallas Co.. My son killed an 8pt the day before that was in full rut.

I've seen three more good mature bucks since I killed the buck below, so yes, the rut is in full swing in Dallas County. The heat has slowed things down some, but it will be back to normal soon.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 12:19 PM

Very nice deer Jawbone,congrats!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 12:52 PM

Great deer David! Congrats!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 01:15 PM

Mike, great buck!!!! Mature and a heck of a hunt and rutting experience for you. You got to hear and see deer behavior that most people never get to see or hear.

That's what happens on well managed land and y'all have done a great job in that aspect.

Hopefully, I'll be out there in the Dallas Co woods very very soon!!!
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 01:33 PM

those are some great deer!
Posted By: RSQ601

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 02:26 PM

Well hunted Fri , Sat and Sun am... hunting partner saw nice shooter runing at 180 yds away cross opening....dont know if deer was jumped on adjacent propery or chasing doe. Had chase going on in creek bottom Sat morning but could not see them good enough to tell how good of buck. Finally saw young high rack 6pt come from area.Saw a little more deer movement than last week , more new sign... its about everywhere we look. We are about to see what Squeaky has seen this week ,just hope I can be there .Coming down Thursday night ... bringing my 10 yr old nephew , so it might limit how hard I would normally hunt, but thats ok its important to get these kids outdoors !

Congrats Squeaky...Nice bucks !
I will try to post from my Driod " with some luck " this weekend . thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 03:44 PM

Good Lord! It is comin down! I do believe the creeks are gonna be flooded after all this. I've seen a young buck cruising this mornin so far. Pops said a biggun just crossed the powerline headed my way. Just Waitn on him to show up.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 04:38 PM

Wet morning for sure,had a few bucks chosen a doe at daylight as I was walking in. Couldn't get close enough before I got winded, seen four deer off the stand . I had a four pt come to some gruntin, he was panting with mouth open. Gonna give a try a lil later.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 08:55 PM

I did not hunt this AM. I've been waiting on some decent weather to bow hunt in. I've had to keep thunder stick in hand if I wanted to hunt. It will take slob knocker for me to kill him with the thunder stick. Hopefully after today I can resume bow hunting.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jawbone
This dude was cruising the edge of a swamp on the 2nd in Dallas Co.. My son killed an 8pt the day before that was in full rut.

I've seen three more good mature bucks since I killed the buck below, so yes, the rut is in full swing in Dallas County. The heat has slowed things down some, but it will be back to normal soon.

That's a dang fine buck Jawbone....a big congrats thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/10/12 10:25 PM

I got big ole mature buck on peanut field. A BIG 6 pt. I bet he's 240 LB + can't burn my last tag on him though. He's bumping does.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 01:37 AM

I saw around 20 this afternoon. I had 8 or 9 bucks on the field. The big 6 was locked on a doe. The other bucks were scent checking does.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 01:47 AM

I went to some public land this afternoon. Come to find out, the place has been hunted to death. Needless to say, I didn't see a thang. On my way back to the house off of 219, I round the curve and there are 7 does n youngans in the neighbors yard. Turn on the driveway and there are 4 more in the road. I pull into the front yard and there are does everywhere. Runnin in amongst em like a cuttn horse is a perfectly symmetrical 8pt that would prolly score around 130 or so. He was chasing them does all over the front yard. Talkin about gettn your blood boilin. He didnt even care I was there. I checked the camera and saw that a broke rack buck had been through there chasing does at about 4:25. So I can safely say now the chasing phase of the rut has started here. Right on time.
Posted By: coach2

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 02:04 AM

Ok not hijacking the thread but I'm jealous! I've read all the post and I can't wait for the weekend. I'm in Russell county and it should be on come Friday! You guys inspire me if you need help over that way let me know lol! Good luck men!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 03:37 AM

Didn't see but one buck this afternoon and he was standing fifty yards from my stand when I went to climb up he blew out of there. Our hunters seen a few bucks but nothing worth shooting. Wind is switching around, so off to another area in the morning. Gonna sit a powerline and see what happens! Good luck to all!
Posted By: northbound

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 04:15 AM

I hunt in Benton also. Old Town Creek is my property line. Where is Big Swamp Creek? Been seeing lots of bucks tending does. Not burning them up yet though but MLK week is always my best week and with the forcast starting Friday ol big better look out. We bow killed a big 9 sat morn on river following a doe. Good luck!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 12:50 PM

10-20 mph winds this morning, I put out three hunters and came back to the house for a lil rest. Going back this afternoon.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 01:26 PM

I've had 3 bucks come through hot onvtrail of doe. I guess she came through before day light because I did not see her. Nothing real big but they were grunting pretty good. It got the adrenaline following pretty good with the bow in hand this morning.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 01:54 PM

Some how I just let a heck of a bow buck get by me. He was every bit P&Y if he was inch. I could not hear him walking in wet leaves and high wind. DAG GUMMIT!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 02:50 PM

My buddy that's hunting with me said he just shot a big 9 pt. with his bow. We are gonna give him plenty of time an see if we can find him. Hopefully I'll have some more pics to add to this thread.
Posted By: RareBreed

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 04:27 PM

Keep us posted. I'm going this PM if I can make it back to town in time.
Posted By: guesswork

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 05:25 PM

this is killing me. heading to Dallas county in the morning.

Skip

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 06:09 PM

Damn, y'all stay out of here! Find something else to do!
Posted By: Redtick13

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/11/12 09:24 PM

Just had a buck run a Doe by me. I hope his GRANDDADDY is close by.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:05 AM

Here is my buddies buck he killed this morning with his bow. I scouted this area yesterday during the rain and put some cat eyes into the tree he needed to climb. He smoked his buck about 1 1/2 hrs. after day light. He only ran 30 yards after the shot.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:25 AM

Nice!!! thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 09:46 AM

Nice! You are a great hunting buddy! When we going? smile

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:25 PM

Nice! You are a great hunting buddy! When we going? smile

I owed Charles a big favor. He took 11 days of his off time plus 48 hrs travel time to come film me in KY on two different occasions. I'm thankful I was able to put his South Lousiana butt on the best buck of his life. I have one happy Coon Hinny up here with me grin Also I think I have a camera man anytime I need one as long as I let him hunt Bama in return.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:28 PM

Very nice!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:32 PM

MY Dad passed up an 8 pt yesterday that was chasing a doe, looks like it is getting right!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:34 PM

It's slow in my #1 honey hole this morning. I get to hunt my #2 honey hole this afternoon. I have been waiting on a good west or north west wind to hunt it. Suppose to get one today after lunch. It's a sweet little water oak flat situated between two 10 year old pine plantations. The deer have been staging here before heading out to a winter wheat field planted along the county road. I'll be very surprised if I don't see some bones in this spot. grin

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 01:56 PM

Good luck Squeaky! I'll be getting up early these next few days to hunt as well. I've had the worse year I can remember with the bow! I'll be toting it however! Surely I won't get skunked with the bow this year! wink

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 02:07 PM

It's slow in my #1 honey hole this morning. I get to hunt my #2 honey hole this afternoon. I have been waiting on a good west or north west wind to hunt it. Suppose to get one today after lunch. It's a sweet little water oak flat situated between two 10 year old pine plantations. The deer have been staging here before heading out to a winter wheat field planted along the county road. I'll be very surprised if I don't see some bones in this spot. grin

Wind is going to blow you out of the tree this evening.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 03:12 PM

Not gonna have to worry about that wind this afternoon if can find the stud I just ran a Rage thur his cage. grin I hit him a little higher than I would like but still feel good about the shot. Hopefully I find him gonna give him plenty of time.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 03:25 PM

Hope you find him. Keep us updated.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 03:49 PM

Killing machine!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 04:27 PM

I will be waiting for the text!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 05:39 PM

You'll find him Mike, if not the dog is on ready!

I seen 13 this morning, 120 class 8 pt, four pt.andsome does. Best morning I've had so far. The 8 pt was cruisin and just missed some does I had in the powerline below me. He'd come and checked those does if he wouldve seen em. Really not big enough but I would've liked a little better look at him.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 05:46 PM

Not gonna have to worry about that wind this afternoon if can find the stud I just ran a Rage thur his cage. grin I hit him a little higher than I would like but still feel good about the shot. Hopefully I find him gonna give him plenty of time.

Well, find him yet?
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 06:43 PM

You'll find him Mike, if not the dog is on ready!

I seen 13 this morning, 120 class 8 pt, four pt.andsome does. Best morning I've had so far. The 8 pt was cruisin and just missed some does I had in the powerline below me. He'd come and checked those does if he wouldve seen em. Really not big enough but I would've liked a little better look at him.

The first part caught my attention. Do you have a good tracking dog available in the Sardis area? Our landowner should could have used one over the Christmas holidays.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 10:09 PM

We jumped mikes deer after he bedded for a few hours. After we jumped him he started bleeding good , we backed out and gonna let him lay overnight. I feel pretty good about finding him tomorrow. I have to go get a cpl pints of blood to replace what I've lost. Note to self.... Next time get a smaller tracking dog! .

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 10:12 PM

Yes Jawbone, I have a tracking dog, best thing I ever did!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 10:47 PM

Sorry guys for no updates. Been looking hard for my buck. Here is the latest. Buck has ran about 300 yards total. He's bedded twice that I know of. We kept pushing him so we have backed out for the night an will resume tomorrow at 10. I know I got one lung for sure he's blowing blood out his nose that's pink with bubbles. My buddy has a bad to the bone tracking dog that's been spot on. If he will die we should find him.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 10:54 PM

Hate to hear that but sounds like he has a fatal injury that should just take some more time. Hope you find him

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/12/12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: lefthorn
Hate to hear that but sounds like he has a fatal injury that should just take some more time. Hope you find him

Yeah I'm sick and feel like crap about my shot. sick Apparently it was higher than it looked. He was 38 yards standing perfectly broad side. He was alert so I shot him for 35 yards anticipating him trying to jump the string. I should have shot him for 30 or 32 yards. Maybe I'll be blessed one more time an recover him tomorrow.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 01:02 AM

Quote:
I know I got one lung for sure he's blowing blood out his nose that's pink with bubbles. My buddy has a bad to the bone tracking dog that's been spot on. If he will die we should find him.

sorry to hear he didn't go down quick. with a lung sliced open you should find him tomorrow. best of luck!!
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 01:06 AM

Good luck finding him sire he is dead by now. If not with the loss of blood he will probably be stoved up and trying to stay warm. Keep us posted
Posted By: nozzleman

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 01:56 AM

Good luck, hope you find him.
Posted By: sloughfoot

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 02:25 AM

You got him sounds like, wherever he stopped the last time he most likely stopped for the last time. GOOD LUCK!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 08:56 AM

Good luck! I look forwarded to checking this thread tomorrow! I finally got the monkey of my back this evening. Been a bad year for me. Ran an arrow through a doe.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 11:38 AM

Hey Mike, good luck hunting this morning and good luck finding your buck.

I was involved in the tracking of a big mature buck with a one lung shot bow shot that ended successful. They can and will travel a ways with that one good lung but it sounds like you'll find him this midmorning.

Keep us posted!! I'll be working frown when you find him! Yep working and living vicariously through you!!! However, I'll be in the Dallas County woods before daylight in the morning. smile I just upgraded my son's rifle from a 243 to a 7mm-08 yesterday so I need to get my little man his first buck this weekend.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 03:54 PM

It was a good morning, all bucks cruisin . Calling seems to be working pretty good now, just need a bugun to show up. Heade to look for mikes deer now.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 07:16 PM

We did not find him. When we jumped him last he quit bleeding an dog trailed him another 400 or 500 yards. Never found anything else. I think he'll make it as I only nicked one lung if that. I might have hit void area just don't know. He sure went a long ways to not leave any more sign or to be fatally wounded. I've seen a few deer hit high like that make a full recovery. Hopefully he will do the same. I'm probably done hunting for the season. I don't like losing a deer and this one has really made me sick!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 07:28 PM

A big THANK YOU to Ron and LB for ya'lls time and effort. I am grateful and apperictitive more than words can express!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 07:29 PM

Dang...hate it!
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/13/12 09:31 PM

Deer world wide are relieved to know you are done for the year. Now It's the turkeys time to be worried. KILLER!!!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/14/12 03:58 AM

Wellloose I can say they officially busted loose today where I hunt west of Selma. I've been here all week waitn on it. Last years log says it was the 12th when I started to see hard chasing goin on. It hit about right I reckon. We've been seeing one old doe that has white hocks but the rest are dark still. That old doe has been put on the hit list. Don't think I have ever heard more deer "talkin" to each other than I have today. Hopefully I or mythe dad will have a biggun on the ground in the morning. Problem is, I didn't clean out my shootn lanes this year and they grew pretty thick. Too late to do it now without alarming the deer. Sorry to hear about your deer Squeaky. Good luck to all in the morning!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/14/12 04:01 AM

That last post is a little screwed up. My phone adds words when I hit the spacebar sometimes

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/14/12 08:22 AM

Hate to hear that Squeaky! I know how you feel. It sucks, but it happens! Good luck on the next one!
Posted By: johnnyreb

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/14/12 12:58 PM

Its On! Just popped a nice chocolate 8 right behind a hot doe. Almost couldnt get him to stop for the shot.....25 yards with the ole 35 remington.

Update: turned out to be a 10pt and not quite as chocolate as I thought.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/14/12 10:03 PM

Got a nice 8pt this morning pushing does. Watched several other bucks push some does around. Definately on around Valley Grande. Two more days of hunting before I have to return back to work. Cant wait!!!
Posted By: Truetalker15

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/15/12 03:37 AM

My Dad shot this 11 point this afternoon on our land in Cahaba! He came out on one of our big fields after a hot doe! Couldn't be any happier for him!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/15/12 11:11 AM

Congrats to both of you!
Posted By: Shuter II

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/15/12 11:16 AM

Nice buck! A good taxidermist can fix that brow tine where you'll never know it.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 05:51 PM

How many of guys still down hunting this week?

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 06:02 PM

I'm still here MIke, thanks to a good boss! I've hunted all day the last three days, seen one possible shooter but didn't get a good look at him. Passed a two good three year olds that will studs next year. They're chasing here right now.we've seen some good deer the last few days.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 06:07 PM

I'm back myself Ron. Will be here through Thursday. I have land an camp all to myself again. If you need a place to stay to give Mickey a break you are welcome here.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 06:10 PM

awesome buck!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 07:03 PM

Tell Pops I said congrats! After I got your text, I was lookin forward to seeing him! Very NICE!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 07:50 PM

Just seen my first 3 deer of afternoon. A cowhorn spike and 2 yearlings.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/16/12 10:39 PM

Slow for me so far,there was a big deer seen crossing here yesterday. I seen a 18+inch 3 yr old cross this morning but not the deer I want. I took a pic of him but he was a cpl hundreds yards away.

May be too far away, just a small 6 come out to feed.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/17/12 01:14 AM

Ron that's a sweet looking spot buddy!!! Reminds me of a honey hole I had on River Dale Hunting Club. I had two small 6 pts come by within bow range this afternoon. That one little dude got my blood to pumping. I could hear a deer walking in some thick stuff off to my right when I hear burrrrup. I hit the can call and here he comes little 6 pt. Walked right under my tree.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/17/12 02:52 AM

I found a cpl hot spots today, gonna hang a cpl loc ons in the morning, for later in the week. Gonna be busy this week with hunters. Thanks for the offer Mike, I gotta stay close by tho to keep my drive time as little as possible.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/17/12 02:18 PM

I'm back in my honey hole this morning. I've seen one doe so far. It's been slow this morning. I don't have much confidence in this spot since I scented the area up looking for my deer last week. We'll see what happens but I'll be very surprised if a mature buck comes through here.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/17/12 03:50 PM

Just had a buck chase some does through the creek drain I'm sitting on. Did not get a good look at him. From what I saw was big bodied deer with what looked to be a decent rack.
Posted By: crockrj

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/17/12 05:09 PM

Big 6 killed by my dad last Thursday and my brother killed the 10 on Sunday morning. Both were following does. Our camp is in Minter.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/19/12 10:15 PM

Just when you think the thread is dead! Congratulations Micheal
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 12:54 AM

killed last saturday
Dallas co.

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: BIG-AL
killed last saturday
Dallas co.

Congrats Cody...way to get'er done little man. grin thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 01:27 AM

Well guy's I decided to give it another few days before I tossed in the towel this year. I had a goal to kill my best Bama bow buck this year and it finally worked out. I was blessed with this mature buck Wednesday morning.

He was being a smart son of gun. I was set up on the edge of a hardwood drain and some planted pines. He came slipping through the young pine plantation scent checking all the trails leading into the hardwood drain I was hunting. I just so happened to have a nice little entrance trail to my stand cut through the pines. I turn to see his rack sticking out behind the briars which puts his horns center of my entrance trail. I know he's a shooter right away so I stand up and grab my bow. I know he is around 25 yards so I set the HHA sight for the correct yardage. By the time I get drawn on him he is now quartering away. I settle the pin just in front of his right hind quarter with plans so send my arrow through the boiler room. I touch the release and at the sound he lunges forward causing the arrow to hit him in the hind quarter. I got excellent penetration as the arrow passed through the ham and out the bottom of his belly. The TI rage cut a massive hole and the blood trail was big enough a blind man could follow it.

However, I was still concerned with the shot so I elected to recover him this morning. I know it was a lot of time but after losing one last week I did not want to push this deer what's so ever. I am not proud of the shot and have learned a valuable lesson the past few weeks while bow hunting late season Bama deer. Shots you would normally make with no problem don't work on these deer. They are as fast as grease lighting and any unnatural sound literally makes them do some Matrix type evasive maneuvers.

In closing I would like to say thank you "God" for blessing me with an AWESOME season!!! Also I thank you all that have followed along on my thread the last few weeks. I truly enjoyed bringing you guy's live updates. I hope to share my hunts with you all next season.

Now here are the pics...enjoy!!

Posted By: MTeague

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 01:37 AM

Congrats.......I know you said your season is now over but i was wondering if you were going to clean out a few does? Congrats again on a great season!!!
Posted By: nozzleman

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 01:51 AM

Really enjoyed the thread, had me checking 2 or 3 times a day. Congrats on the bucks.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: nozzleman
Really enjoyed the thread, had me checking 2 or 3 times a day. Congrats on the bucks.
x2
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 02:25 AM

Congrats on one heckuva Season!!!

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: MTeague
Congrats.......I know you said your season is now over but i was wondering if you were going to clean out a few does? Congrats again on a great season!!!

Work calls brother....time to go make some money to keep the wife happy grin

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 02:38 AM

great deer, great story! congrats and now go fishing laugh

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 10:22 AM

Just when you think the thread is dead! Congratulations Micheal

Ron thank you for your help again buddy!!! grin thumbup

Re: Dallas Cty Rut Report - 01/20/12 10:26 AM

Good buck Squeaky! Way to hang with it! Enjoyed the thread.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM