Aldeer.com

If gun season were shortened.......

Posted By: CNC

If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 07:41 PM

It seems like the consensus of the majority of folks is that gun season is too long......I'm not saying everyone feels that way but from reading comments I would say there's a heft majority that do.....

If we were going to shorten gun season next year (let's assume that you will still be able to bow hunt these days)......How short of a gun season would you be ok going to?.........Two weeks?........A month?........?????
Posted By: AC870

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 07:52 PM

My view on hunting season length is same as my view on guns. I’m not prepared to give up chit.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 07:56 PM

Smdh.........
Posted By: abolt300

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:12 PM

CNC, as much as I hate to say it, you just gotta give it up. Aint gonna happen. That would affect lease prices, license revenue, state budgets, tax revenue, tourism and big $$$ for the state. You've got to come to the realization that it has now become way more about the managing/maximizing the $$$ than it is about managing the wildlife.
Posted By: Droptine-13

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:20 PM

Why complain about the length. If you want to bow hunt more feel free. Heck why not do away with bow

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:26 PM

It’s not really a matter of whether you are or you are not willing to give up something……If things need to be adjusted to protect the resource then changes will made……. Deer management (outside of people management) is really just a matter of math at the end of the day ……..At one time people killed deer when and however they wanted to and I’m sure there was somebody then saying “I ain’t giving up chit!” too…..But they did give it up and it was by their own hands they did it too……They gave it up when there wasn’t any left. I’m really not sure why we have this argument on the premise of if this is really a question……Just look at our history of deer management and it will show you that we will set dates and do whatever is necessary to protect and insure the resource remains vibrant……Look back on what season dates used to be and have been before. Things will change again to adjust for a framework that is too liberal for our changing landscape among other things…..The question in the end when the dust settles will be how do you want to go about changing it?

Still though no one has answered the original question……..Plenty of people say that gun season is too long……If it is determined in the future that we must make some adjustments to how we are managing the herd……How long would be an acceptable length gun season for you assuming we still got to bow hunt Oct 15 – Feb 10 like it is now? If you’re answer is “I would only accept a 3 ½ month long gun season”…..then answer with that.
Posted By: WGDfarm23

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:30 PM

I would love for bow season to last until December 31st and then gun season just for the month of January. That’s my view on it.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by AC870

My view on hunting season length is same as my view on guns. I’m not prepared to give up chit.

Yep.

It is so hard to understand that if you don't feel comfortable with something, you simply shouldn't do it. The law does not dictate that you must hunt until February 10.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:46 PM

I'd be fine with only 2-3 weeks of gun season AND outlawing bait and those stupid crossbows
Posted By: hayman

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 08:59 PM

Why worry about the length if you think it is too long? Just use what you need and be happy knowing you have more than you needed. Next thing you know you will be complaining about how short it is and how you need more length. popcorn
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 09:04 PM

Leave it alone.
Posted By: Semo

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
I'd be fine with only 2-3 weeks of gun season AND outlawing bait and those stupid crossbows

I don't have a dog in this fight...but you read my mind.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 09:26 PM

Frak slinging sticks at a deer. God made lead and gun powder for a reason.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hayman
Why worry about the length if you think it is too long? Just use what you need and be happy knowing you have more than you needed. Next thing you know you will be complaining about how short it is and how you need more length. popcorn

Because the other option for a course of correction……and the path that we are currently on…. will eventually mean that you only get 2 bucks now and “x” amount of does……or something of that nature…..”Rules” and enforcement measures will continue to increase ……I’m trying to offer up a different idea for accomplishing the same end goal but with much less bullchit......When you say "leave things as they are"......that means in my mind that you must like all of the new rules and regs that keep coming
Posted By: Mdees

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 09:40 PM

If the goal is to keep pressure to a minimum and increase the overall herd numbers, as I believe several have given as reasons for wanting a shorter season, less gun days, split seasons etc., why not just insist that the state go back to a physical tag system and a limit of one (1) deer per season? The Hunter can choose wether to hang their tag on a doe or a 250” six year old. And let them have October to March to do it.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 10:04 PM

What AC870 said X2
Posted By: Ben2

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 10:07 PM

Just one season for all weapons and hunters of all ages. Decber 1- Jan31
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 10:13 PM

. Not to use foul language, but I agree with AC870, why are you people trying to cut into gun season, why not shorten bow season and do away with crossbows? If you don't have enough deer on your property, manage it better, don't go insisting that I have to abide by you. If you want more deer work for it, don't legislate me.

Originally Posted by Droptine-13
Why complain about the length. If you want to bow hunt more feel free. Heck why not do away with bow

Some of you are trying to give the people a reason to legislate our seasons even more. What do you want, just a bunch of safe queen guns you can brag about? I would rather brag about being able to use it, and not shooting at paper or a metal stand.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 10:43 PM

I just about only hunt from christmas till i kill whatever i planned on killing that year. This year it took about 33 days. That was my season. Theres some mighty good fishing in november and december.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by hayman

Because the other option for a course of correction……and the path that we are currently on…. will eventually mean that you only get 2 bucks now and “x” amount of does……or something of that nature…..”Rules” and enforcement measures will continue to increase ……I’m trying to offer up a different idea for accomplishing the same end goal but with much less bullchit......When you say "leave things as they are"......that means in my mind that you must like all of the new rules and regs that keep coming

We have been on a two buck limit on our property for 10 years and my neighbor to the south has gone to the same plan. We just need to kill more DOEs.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Just one season for all weapons and hunters of all ages. Decber 1- Jan31

rolleyes
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 11:10 PM

ya'll quit...
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 11:25 PM

More like CNC please quit thinking and typing

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 11:50 PM

🤣🤣
Posted By: kyles

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/25/21 11:53 PM

Before you do away with crossbows you better make sure you ain’t broke down later in life and want to bowhunt on your land you sacrificed to pay for. I think it’s like voting if you don’t own land you can’t LOL. Now fuss about that

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Davyalabama

. Not to use foul language, but I agree with AC870, why are you people trying to cut into gun season, why not shorten bow season and do away with crossbows? If you don't have enough deer on your property, manage it better, don't go insisting that I have to abide by you. If you want more deer work for it, don't legislate me.

Originally Posted by Droptine-13

Some of you are trying to give the people a reason to legislate our seasons even more. What do you want, just a bunch of safe queen guns you can brag about? I would rather brag about being able to use it, and not shooting at paper or a metal stand.

For the record, I'm not wanting more regulation. I'm wanting less......much less. I want to get rid of Game Check......I want to get rid of the three buck limit......I want to get rid of the paper thingy in my back pocket that says I'm suppose to record my deer before I touch it......I'm wanting to get rid of the baiting fee.......AND in order to be able to do that then I am willing to go to a more bow hunting oriented system with a two to three week gun season so that's its possible......I think its worth the trade to be able to just go hunt and not have to deal with all the extra BS...
Posted By: Semo

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by kyles
Before you do away with crossbows you better make sure you ain’t broke down later in life and want to bowhunt on your land you sacrificed to pay for. I think it’s like voting if you don’t own land you can’t LOL. Now fuss about that

Most states have always had a health exemption for crossbows which is great. But letting everybody use today's modern crossbows during archery season is a bit much. 60-90 yard shots doesn't seem like bow hunting
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:45 AM

Meh.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:49 AM

I agree with that but I don’t have one that shoots that hard. We are loosing more hunters all the time because of regulations and people not having a place to hunt. I don’t buy into a deer has to be old if I want to kill it. I don’t blame a person if he only wants to kill trophy bucks but I don’t look down on anybody else either if he hunts for meat.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:52 AM

I would be good with a month long gun, but dependent upon the zones. Here in limestone they rut around thanksgiving, but don’t rut til almost feb in Franklin. I think gun needs to center around those. I’d also be good with making the first half of bow season “buck only”. I sat and watched fawns nursing til just about the open of rifle in Franklin. A velvet season would be cool too.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:03 AM

I don’t see a problem with the current dates are fine. Go to a tag system and show a little restraint on the trigger and all will be fine. Self control will help Alabama a whole lot.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by CNC
It seems like the consensus of the majority of folks is that gun season is too long......I'm not saying everyone feels that way but from reading comments I would say there's a heft majority that do.....

If we were going to shorten gun season next year (let's assume that you will still be able to bow hunt these days)......How short of a gun season would you be ok going to?.........Two weeks?........A month?........?????

It won’t be long and everyone with be hunting with a stick a string or throw sticks at the bastards. Went to four different places trying to find some turkey ammunition and there wasn’t hardly nothing at any store other than bbS for a freaking BB gun.
Posted By: UA Hunter

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:37 AM

Pretty sure the consensus isn't to shorten the season. I never hear it except the same few people on here or Facebook. Only in hunting, do I routinely see conservatives ask for more regulations. It's not the state's job to insure people have trophy bucks to hunt. If there is a shortage of deer, the doe killing could be adjusted in certain areas, otherwise let landowners, leaseholders, etc. regulate their own. I wish the season was longer and I'd have even more freedom to cherry pick the days I hunted.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:56 AM

Just a thought that I’ll add about gun seasons: in many areas of the state, feral hogs are a huge problem and also make for quality game. It’s hard enough to put a hammer on them as opportunities arise with a rifle but bow-only makes it nearly impossible. Where I hunt I am as likely to see hogs as I am deer. I don’t shoot most of the deer I see although I think my neighbors do. I do, however, shoot every hog I can get crosshairs on from 50-300yards or more. In fact it’s how I fill my freezer most seasons.
The issue is not the length of seasons or weapons used. It is almost entirely a matter of trigger restraint on the part of individual hunters. I’ll shoot one or two does some years, other seasons none, wether I’m seeing does or not. I enjoy the flexibility of a long doe season to take only the older does when I get a crack at them. Other hunters seem to take that one doe a day rule as a personal challenge.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 02:19 AM

. We are loosing more hunters all the time because of regulations and people not having a place to hunt..

You would think if that was true lease prices would quit going up.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 02:26 AM

Hey Kyles

Hunt the way you want to man - it’s your season - you don’t have to answer to anybody here. Sometimes this site can judge pretty hard and we all opinionated - hunt the way you want to. Screw what a hunting site thinks - some folks here get mad at the kind of Weapon you tote 🤣🤣🤣. Who gives a rats $&*#
Posted By: low wall

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 02:49 AM

Don't forget that there are a fair number of us who balance hunting with work, family and church, and shortening the season by say, 2 weeks, means that we lose maybe 2 half days (if we are lucky), not 14. A lot of us aren't burned out by late January, but just happy go maybe get one more weekend. If you are burned out by late January, maybe don't go as much, rather than push for a law taking it away from the rest of us? Just a thought.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26
. . A velvet season would be cool too.

I'd love to see us open Oct 1 for this reason as well as the spike in buck activity as they shed velvet.......Season before last we had a little drought toward the end of summer that I believe caused deer to shed a little late. I found 2 or 3 velvet bucks for folks at the first of the season that year and everyone involved seemed to think it was the coolest thing.....myself included.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:00 AM

I don’t care what y’all want to do about these pine goats just don’t let CNC anywhere near the turkey regs.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:01 AM

^^^
🤣🤣😀
Posted By: hawndog

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:07 AM

One season. Kill them how you like. November 05 - jan 31.
Posted By: AC870

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
More like CNC please quit thinking drinking and typing

Fixed it.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by hawndog
One season. Kill them how you like. November 05 - jan 31.

🐎 💩
Posted By: James

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:35 AM

What an abortion this chit is 🙈 🤣🤣🤣

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 11:08 AM

Just because people making good money run lease prices up dont mean everybody has a place to hunt. How many of yall have taken a kid that didnt have a place to hunt or even an adult.I come into contact with a lot of people that aint as lucky as some of us here are.I quit fishing bass tournaments because of the attitude of some people.I have been guilty of worrying about letting somebody hunt and them killing a certain big deer but we elevate them to much sometimes.Back in the 80s i had a friend that hunted my place with me he returned the favor by taking me on a place him and a couple of his relatives had all was fine till i killed a big one and everybody got mad and i did not get to go back.I hunt like i want to as long ad it is legal i just think we need to be thankful for the resources the Lord has given us and quit worrying about what anybody hunts with or what they kill along as it is legal.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:54 PM

What slays me about this conversation is how many people will say that its absurd to even talk about shortening our gun season and then proceed to drive 8-12 hrs to hunt another state with those very regulations.....(See current Illinois thread)........But oh no....not here.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 12:55 PM

Just because people making good money run lease prices up dont mean everybody has a place to hunt. How many of yall have taken a kid that didnt have a place to hunt or even an adult.I come into contact with a lot of people that aint as lucky as some of us here are.I quit fishing bass tournaments because of the attitude of some people.I have been guilty of worrying about letting somebody hunt and them killing a certain big deer but we elevate them to much sometimes.Back in the 80s i had a friend that hunted my place with me he returned the favor by taking me on a place him and a couple of his relatives had all was fine till i killed a big one and everybody got mad and i did not get to go back.I hunt like i want to as long ad it is legal i just think we need to be thankful for the resources the Lord has given us and quit worrying about what anybody hunts with or what they kill along as it is legal.

Yup
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:11 PM

I'd do it like this

Oct 1 - Feb 10- archery allowed

Allow 2 weeks of gun season in each of Nov, Dec, and Jan for a total of 6 weeks rifle season.

My theory is that people would be more successful bow hunting if pressure was kept down in general. Y'all see the way those deer act in those states with only a week or two gun season? I honestly believe the deer around here would adjust pretty quick and be more likely to walk out in daytime if they weren't being chased with a rifle every day of their life for 3 months.

Full disclosure I don't know chit about chit, just my opinion
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 01:15 PM

no cnc

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
Just a thought that I’ll add about gun seasons: in many areas of the state, feral hogs are a huge problem and also make for quality game. It’s hard enough to put a hammer on them as opportunities arise with a rifle but bow-only makes it nearly impossible. Where I hunt I am as likely to see hogs as I am deer. I don’t shoot most of the deer I see although I think my neighbors do. I do, however, shoot every hog I can get crosshairs on from 50-300yards or more. In fact it’s how I fill my freezer most seasons.
The issue is not the length of seasons or weapons used. It is almost entirely a matter of trigger restraint on the part of individual hunters. I’ll shoot one or two does some years, other seasons none, wether I’m seeing does or not. I enjoy the flexibility of a long doe season to take only the older does when I get a crack at them. Other hunters seem to take that one doe a day rule as a personal challenge.

Some valid points, a lot of people do shoot a lot of does, it is just ..... I'm with you, I like a long season on them so I can pick and choose what doe(s) I want to take out, why take out a small yearling doe when there are old does that are turning grey. I just don't want us hunters to get into the legislate each other so we can have it to hunt the "preferred" way. The bow hunters want to legislate the gun hunters, the gun hunters want more freedom into February in the southern part of the state, the northern part wants it closed in early January because they are tired of hunting, and the rut is over so why hunt. You want to see what happens when there is no government regulation, go back and look at pictures of the buffalo, the vast swaths of ducks killed, etc. We all don't want that!!!!! The problem is we have to stay together, look at what happened to the hunters that enjoyed running deer with dogs, they are almost extinct compared to the 50's - 80's. It is only taken about 20 something years to phase them out. Now, bow hunters are trying to phase out the gun hunters. You people might as well be on the Biden/Harris/Democratic chain smoking pipe!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
What slays me about this conversation is how many people will say that its absurd to even talk about shortening our gun season and then proceed to drive 8-12 hrs to hunt another state with those very regulations.....(See current Illinois thread)........But oh no....not here.

I thought you were all far long.....Feb. seasons and season couldn't be too long. Damn, I have trouble keeping up with you.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by CNC

I thought you were all far long.....Feb. seasons and season couldn't be too long. Damn, I have trouble keeping up with you.

I agree with you there…..apparently you’re not the only one…….One more time.

Season runs Oct 1 – Feb 10……..add a 2-3 week gun season in there where it pleases folks....,take away all of the excess rules of the last decade.... and that’s the basis for what I’m in favor of

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by CNC

Season runs Oct 1 – Feb 10……..add a 2-3 week gun season in there where it pleases folks....,take away all of the excess rules of the last decade.... and that’s the basis for what I’m in favor of

Fuggg ,no.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by CNC

Fuggg ,no.

Well....enjoy your 2 buck limit that's coming.......I'm out. smile
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 03:20 PM

out? we can only hope....
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:16 PM

All ya'll that are advocating for it to be full and open season know good and dang well deep down inside that in 5 years won't none of us have deer to hunt. Ya'll want to bring kids into the mix but what deer what the kids have to hunt? I've seen people type on this very website about NEEDING to kill 15 deer a year to feed their family.... WTH? Do they only cut the backstraps and hams off or do they have 20 kids?

If anything all this post and the other post has done is show EXACTLY why there has to be state government running the show..... we can't even get two hunters to agree on what needs to be done. Much less the general public.

As always with hunters its EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!!! WOOOOOWEEEEEE BOYS KILLL EM ALLLL!!!!!
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:23 PM

Alot of this is starting to sound like a Facebook comments section. Been noticing that the past couple of weeks. The reason I've always enjoyed this forum was because there was alot more rational, educated talk here than Facebook at large..... Please reel it back in guys don't let this forum dissolve into a cesspool of dumb assery

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:45 PM

I am out to the trophy hunting rich man is the only one that’s opinion matters
Posted By: garyo

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 04:53 PM

when you read thru these replys , have thought about the WMA's, some military posts you have a quota, just say its 90 deer, when reached hunting is over,done . pvt land is diff.
to me,lot of ways to look how long or how short a season, a thought.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Just out of this thread , he's prolly busy typing up a new thread right now.
Posted By: burbank

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 05:26 PM

If people would use common sense we wouldn’t need to have this discussion.

Some people believe that a doe a day available means that they need to kill a damn doe a day. By god.

Just is what it is. I think we should reduce the turkey bag limits from 5 to 3. And go! smile

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 05:49 PM

And if u want shorter season - just quit Jan 31st - don’t have to go if don’t want to

I hav not killed feb buck yet but seen some of my best deer then
Posted By: Scout308

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 05:56 PM

Do you need more than two?
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 06:39 PM

[quote=CNC]It seems like the consensus of the majority of folks is that gun season is too long /quote]

total bs.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

x1000
Posted By: Clem

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Scout308

Bucks?

Perhaps. I might need to kill 10. Or four. Or just one. Same with does. Same with anything - turkeys, squirrels, whatever.

Any other hunter telling me or anyone else that "You don't need more than ..." can smooch my behiney. Whatever is biologically sound or biologically detrimental is what I go on, not what someone else tells me I need.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by Coosa1

I don't have a dog in this fight...but you read my mind.

Me three.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 07:08 PM

X2 Clem
Me telling any hunter what he can and can’t hunt w or what he should hunt w is comical

Yea - I will be sure and listen 🤣🤣🤣

Smooch on it
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 07:19 PM

I would like to see an actual Muzzleloader season worked in there somewhere. Instead of just a pretend one where everyone is at work.

The only comment I have about season length is this:

We have created an environment where everyone in this State rides the tree every weekend and that has been at the expense of other outdoor activities such as small game hunting IMO. I think the reality is that we have brought up a whole generation of hunters... whos vision of hunting is nothing other than riding the shooting house over a food plot every weekend. Something about that IMO is not desirable and over time I believe more hunters will give up the sport. They just think "hunting" = Deer Hunting = Sitting over Food Plot = I got bored and blasted a doe = I'm tired of this after 30 years and I have more responsibility so I'm taking up golf.

I think this is why Turkey Hunting is exploding in popularity. This generation of high school and college age young adults finds that hunting can actually be a lot more fun than sitting in a box blind playing on their phone.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

Bucks?

Perhaps. I might need to kill 10. Or four. Or just one. Same with does. Same with anything - turkeys, squirrels, whatever.

Any other hunter telling me or anyone else that "You don't need more than ..." can smooch my behiney. Whatever is biologically sound or biologically detrimental is what I go on, not what someone else tells me I need.

It was a question! No one told anyone how many one should kill or not kill.
Posted By: Ragin-Cajun

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 08:48 PM

i'm not gonna tell anyone else what weapon they should hunt with and I think its irrelevant IF the season is based on the deer herd and proper harvest management. w/ that said it personally SUX hunting the rut at the end of a 3 month season but i understand alabama's not a trophy state. the deer hunting shows on outdoor channel aren't filming in alabama. it's a meat state w/ a long rifle season and that's how most want it.. if i was dictator i'd close the season most of December.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

Bucks?

BINGO.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/26/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
And if u want shorter season - just quit Jan 31st - don’t have to go if don’t want to

I hav not killed feb buck yet but seen some of my best deer then

Sounds like a Chuck Sykes echo.
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/27/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
More like CNC please quit thinking and typing

This...I sure enjoy tracking threads but, dang.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

Oh I've thought about this my whole life!!! laugh grin

Bow season still comes in October 15th. Muzzleloader starting December 15th through Christmas day. Rifle season starts Dec 26th and runs through Jan 31.

February 10 for select counties with later rut (no reason for the whole dang state to do so), BUT bow season starts Nov 1 in these counties (we gon' see just how bad y'all wanna hunt "the rut") rofl

My MAIN point is it's ridiculous to GUN hunt nearly 3 months.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
Originally Posted by CNC

Bow season still comes in October 15th. Muzzleloader starting December 15th through Christmas day. Rifle season starts Dec 26th and runs through Jan 31.

February 10 for select counties with later rut (no reason for the whole dang state to do so), BUT bow season starts Nov 1 in these counties (we gon' see just how bad y'all wanna hunt "the rut") rofl

Horsechitt.

If you don't want to hunt 3 months keep your azz on the porch.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 01:29 AM

It all should be “deer” season. Get rid of the stupid weapons requirements. Ain’t like there is a shortage of deer.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 12:17 PM

I am going to put my land in one of those autonomouse or however you spell it zones. I will call it the chad hunting club
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
I don’t see a problem with the current dates are fine. Go to a tag system and show a little restraint on the trigger and all will be fine. Self control will help Alabama a whole lot.

This.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by CNC

Horsechitt.

If you don't want to hunt 3 months keep your azz on the porch.

rofl Y'all need to get a life and become more interesting, damn start fishing too, have something else to look forward to.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 04:15 PM

I need 25 if the right 25 walk out.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 02/28/21 04:43 PM

Cnbc starting more ?

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

Sure you do.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 02:21 PM

I notice when a subject like this comes up, there's always the usual "don't tell me what to do" replies. And it's not that I disagree (Lord help, I'm as Libertarian as they come), but that answer is impotent. You cannot have selective rules or total anarchy when dealing with a shared resource. It's literally like the old parable of the village with limited grains for food, you simply cannot make it a free for all, because people cannot be trusted. I agree if you have personally owned land, then nobody should tell you what to do. But because there are very few folks who own enough land to be fully autonomous, then this argument of "don't tell me what to do" simply doesn't hold water....if "your" deer can cross onto "my" land (or worse, vice versa), then how dare you tell me what to do with my deer? See what I mean by impotent?...it works both ways! What you thought worked for you, also worked against you. It's a straw argument, yes it's your land, but they aren't your deer. I mean dang, I've been in clubs with 10,000 acres and one of our up and comer bucks that we were "managing" gets killed across the line on the neighbors land. We don't have common ideals, therefore your anarchist game laws infringe upon my conservative ideals. It's just a muddy mess. You cannot control every single dynamic, therefore it cannot simply be "live and let live" when it comes to a mutually shared resource. The rules have to err on the conservative side, since the true numbers of deer and hunters cannot be known, you cannot risk overharvest by simply turning everyone loose to their own whims.

This whole thing would have better optics if the current laws allowed for a large number of harvest. At least then it would "look" like you're not just arguing to kill everything brown that moves every time you hunt every day of the season. I simply don't trust people, I don't know enough people who would conserve the resource, in order to just turn the resource over to whatever you want. Most people I know would lose their damn minds and stack 'em up like cordwood, I mean geez they do it now even against the rules.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 02:44 PM

Great post. People that don't have a problem.... they think nobody else has a problem. It's a selfish attitude that's all about "me" and so typical of the times we live in.

I wish upon every single naysayer my neighbors. If any land comes up for lease next to anyone who thinks "don't tell me what to do"..... put your money where you mouth is and let us know. I need to come take a look at it my neighbors need a new "club" to join. I will do my best to make sure they hunt next to you since it's not a big deal in your opinion.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 05:44 PM

I notice when a subject like this comes up, there's always the usual "don't tell me what to do" replies. And it's not that I disagree (Lord help, I'm as Libertarian as they come), but that answer is impotent. You cannot have selective rules or total anarchy when dealing with a shared resource. It's literally like the old parable of the village with limited grains for food, you simply cannot make it a free for all, because people cannot be trusted. I agree if you have personally owned land, then nobody should tell you what to do. But because there are very few folks who own enough land to be fully autonomous, then this argument of "don't tell me what to do" simply doesn't hold water....if "your" deer can cross onto "my" land (or worse, vice versa), then how dare you tell me what to do with my deer? See what I mean by impotent?...it works both ways! What you thought worked for you, also worked against you. It's a straw argument, yes it's your land, but they aren't your deer. I mean dang, I've been in clubs with 10,000 acres and one of our up and comer bucks that we were "managing" gets killed across the line on the neighbors land. We don't have common ideals, therefore your anarchist game laws infringe upon my conservative ideals. It's just a muddy mess. You cannot control every single dynamic, therefore it cannot simply be "live and let live" when it comes to a mutually shared resource. The rules have to err on the conservative side, since the true numbers of deer and hunters cannot be known, you cannot risk overharvest by simply turning everyone loose to their own whims.

This whole thing would have better optics if the current laws allowed for a large number of harvest. At least then it would "look" like you're not just arguing to kill everything brown that moves every time you hunt every day of the season. I simply don't trust people, I don't know enough people who would conserve the resource, in order to just turn the resource over to whatever you want. Most people I know would lose their damn minds and stack 'em up like cordwood, I mean geez they do it now even against the rules.

Good post!!

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 06:08 PM

Not a good post - because we already have a buck limit of 3 bucks.
In the past it was a buck a day for 100 days.
AND the deer kills in Alabama now are HALF what they used to be in the past.

Now, if someone in some part of the state thinks they need doe limits in their county - then that should be the discussion, not screwing with everyone else's deer hunting.
Posted By: Todd M

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 06:29 PM

Amen to fishing buddy !!
As far as the rifle season if you hunt public land it’s not that simple , there are very specific dates that are spread out over 3 months , bow hunters have a good bit more time but if you check the dates say on Black Warrior rifle season or Skyline those days are really limited. , guess I should invest in a bow 👍.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 06:43 PM

I thought it was about length of season and weapons there is a 3 buck limit. But I may be impotent LOL

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 06:47 PM

And yes I know the different meanings for impotent just thought I would lighten up a little

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by WmHunter
Not a good post - because we already have a buck limit of 3 bucks.
In the past it was a buck a day for 100 days.
AND the deer kills in Alabama now are HALF what they used to be in the past.

Now, if someone in some part of the state thinks they need doe limits in their county - then that should be the discussion, not screwing with everyone else's deer hunting.

In the past we had fewer hunters and more land. I'll stop short of saying we don't have as many deer today, instead I'll just say I have a lesser experience and see fewer deer today than I did "in the past". Point is you COULD have just had anarchy back then, and we DID for the most part....you could kill a buck a day for 3.5 months, and by and large the population grew. That's not feasible today, in fact it's wreckless and devastating. And this brings up another argument...I wish folks would quit this false talk of "we gotta get more people into hunting, or we're gonna lose the sport!" We're so oversaturated with hunters now that only a select few can have a quality experience. I wish it was the 80's all over again.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 07:51 PM

Actually, there are way fewer hunters today - in our state as well as every other state.
License sales have reflected a steady downward trend of hunters for over 20 years.
And at the same time there are a lot less deer killed also. From a high of 450,000+ a year to now where it is somewhere between 220,000 and 240,000.

*** if people want a better hunting experience (read mature trophy buck potential)( that is really what all these threads are about) THEN people need to pursue trophy clubs with trophy management. Let that be the trend - not this annual end of the season progressive Democrat ranting about wanting to restrict other people's times and methods of deer hunting.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 07:52 PM

In the past we had fewer hunters and more land. I'll stop short of saying we don't have as many deer today, instead I'll just say I have a lesser experience and see fewer deer today than I did "in the past". Point is you COULD have just had anarchy back then, and we DID for the most part....you could kill a buck a day for 3.5 months, and by and large the population grew. That's not feasible today, in fact it's wreckless and devastating. And this brings up another argument...I wish folks would quit this false talk of "we gotta get more people into hunting, or we're gonna lose the sport!" We're so oversaturated with hunters now that only a select few can have a quality experience. I wish it was the 80's all over again.

I'd like to see us start looking at some of our land uses and trying to merge things more like cattle and wildlife to produce more quality habitat.....We've lost a lot of wildlife habitat due to other uses

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

I'd like to see us start looking at some of our land uses and trying to merge things more like cattle and wildlife to produce more quality habitat.....We've lost a lot of wildlife habitat due to other uses

YOU ARE ALREADY FREE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY/HUNTING LEASE.
OTHER PEOPLE ARE FREE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT ON THEIR PROPERTY.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 08:09 PM

IF ONLY WE WERE FREE TO DO WHAT WE WANTED ON OUR OWN PROPERTY/HUNTING LEASE. OR IF OTHER PEOPLE WERE FREE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT ON THEIR PROPERTY. Then it would be ok.

hahahahaha, that was for WMHunter

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 08:10 PM

Killbux still has the best post with no solid rebuttle yet. It's a share resource so we must share management strategies. Haven't seen anyone overcome that point.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 08:14 PM

You’re on a completely different page than what I’m talking about……Think about the use of fire. At one time it probably wasn’t widely used a management tool but as landowners became more informed on the practices then it has become the norm now…..There are alternative practices to some of the ways we manage land…..What I’m talking about is beginning to explore using these options more in hopes that maybe they become the norm and help produce more wildlife habitat out of land that currently is not very productive or only producing a fraction of its potential…..Again, there’s nothing being mandated or imposed on landowners……It’s simply a change in ideology and folks are free to make their own choices…..Same concept with soil health and the no-till movement….It’s a change in ideology/management practices

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/01/21 09:01 PM

Last year was the first time license sales had increased in years. I think most of that is from the duck hunting trend. I think those that only enjoy hunting if they kill a trophy tend to have a holier than thou attitude towards the people that can be happy just getting to go.And before you come down on me i have only killed 3 bucks in the last 3 years. i am not advocating any more added to the bag limit.I will kill one every year cut it up myself and make my own summer sausage how many can do that.The worse whipping i ever got from daddy was shooting bass under bushes in the creek. Not because i done it but because i didnt get them to eat in other words i wasted them. I know people get most of there food from the stores now.killing a deer in a foodplot out of a shooter house with a rifle on land only us can hunt dont make us Daniel Boone
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

Sure you do.

Didn’t kill a buck this year. Had plenty of opportunities. Nothing that tripped my trigger walked out, BUT if 25 that met my self imposed standards walk out then yes I absolutely need 25. This year I didn’t need 1. And for the last 10 years 1 or 2 has been all i killed but if the right 25 walk out then I need them all. I don’t need any rule/ law to help my trigger restraint.
Posted By: 87v6bird

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 04:07 AM

This guy gets it.

This argument is especially valid in areas that are nothing but small private properties. Every hunting landowner seems to think the deer are an unlimited resource and their free to take as many deer as they can off their property. Soon enough you've cratered the population.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

What people don't get or want to get is hunting is hunting bow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, whichever a dead deer is a dead deer, pressure is pressure! Shoot whatever you want. Use to a bow would really be only accurate past 30 yards, now shots are easy to 60 plus yards. Making the standard so strict for everyone is not going to solve the problem. If you choose big deer choose big deer. Some people could care less about antlers and should be able to dictate their choice on their own land, period! Even in trophy clubs people kill more than they should. It is just hard to control, unless you have large tracts of connecting land, accept it! In some cases hunting has already got too controlled. Why should anybody have to pay $200 to come here or go to another state to shoot one deer? One deer! Not only has prices gone crazy here look at Florida. If had my own land to hunt in Florida or on a WMA and it took 3 visits spread out over the season to shoot one deer and one turkey, different weapons each hunt, it would cost me over $325 just for permits and licenses. Wow! Permits for this permits for that. It has gone crazy to the point of no return! If I had my own land the state would not come and feed the deer. I have friend there that pays over $600 just on property taxes in Florida , but can't hunt without buying a license. To legally try to shoot one deer and one turkey a year he would have to pay $925+ in one year. The state don't pay that why should we? They don't feed his deer or turkey, but only tell him what he can do and when. Government over reach is out of control and we have allowed this! Why?

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 02:37 PM

Actually, there are way fewer hunters today - in our state as well as every other state.
License sales have reflected a steady downward trend of hunters for over 20 years.
And at the same time there are a lot less deer killed also. From a high of 450,000+ a year to now where it is somewhere between 220,000 and 240,000.

*** if people want a better hunting experience (read mature trophy buck potential)( that is really what all these threads are about) THEN people need to pursue trophy clubs with trophy management. Let that be the trend - not this annual end of the season progressive Democrat ranting about wanting to restrict other people's times and methods of deer hunting.

WmHunter, generally I feel like you and I see things alike, but I'll just have to politely agree to disagree on this. For YEARS we've been throwing the number around about fewer license sales (for me, it's not a trustworthy metric), but I don't believe it tells the full or correct story. Like Twain said about statistics, you can basically make them say what you need them to say ("damn lies"). Boots on the ground would tell me there is more hunting pressure today than ever before, and I hunt multiple public and private tracts across the middle 1/3 of the state (so I have a fairly substantial sample size). Not deer related, but I'm passionately convinced that HUNTERS have been the biggest threat to turkeys in the last 25 years (not ants, or predators, or Spring burning.....those things have ALWAYS been here, but there are manifold more turkey hunters today than there was when I was coming up in the 80's / 90's) Both the old lands I have hunted for 30+ years, along with all the new places I've started hunting more recently, the two constants are more people and less deer.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 02:47 PM

I think there's a trend for less hunters......I think where it gets confused as it being the opposite is due to the fact that there has been a decline in habitat combined with the increased lease prices driving the average man out of the game and forcing more and more folks who used to lease land to look to public hunting. .....JMO

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
I think there's a trend for less hunters......I think where it gets confused as it being the opposite is due to the fact that there has been a decline in habitat combined with the increased lease prices driving the average man out of the game and forcing more and more folks who used to lease land to look to public hunting. .....JMO
Very good point, it isn’t just animals that have fewer acres to roam. I used to have plenty of free land to hunt for doves, quail, deer and turkeys. I didn’t have to pay for great dove shoots, people I knew had land and invited us. I didn’t have to be in a hunting club for hunting, land owners gave me written permission and I hunted all I wanted. Now, the price of getting into a decent club is a mortgage payment on a house, I know a lot of people can’t afford that. I tried to hunt WMA’s jack-legs coming in on me ruined that, I feel for people that think they need to ruin other’s experiences while hunting public land.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

You’re on a completely different page than what I’m talking about……Think about the use of fire. At one time it probably wasn’t widely used a management tool but as landowners became more informed on the practices then it has become the norm now…..There are alternative practices to some of the ways we manage land…..What I’m talking about is beginning to explore using these options more in hopes that maybe they become the norm and help produce more wildlife habitat out of land that currently is not very productive or only producing a fraction of its potential…..Again, there’s nothing being mandated or imposed on landowners……It’s simply a change in ideology and folks are free to make their own choices…..Same concept with soil health and the no-till movement….It’s a change in ideology/management practices

I am all for landowners and lessees doing everything possible to maximize the quality of the land for deer and wildlife habitat. I think everyone is. I certainly am and use fire, timber thinning, liming, planting, all sorts of things. Countless landowners and lessees have been doing that for decades now. Each year more and more people do that. Each year more and more people subscribe to QDM. Each year more and more hunters up their buck standards.

The problem is that in your posts in all these several threads you have been clearly calling out and asking for some kind of weird government intervention to restrict and limit other people's hunting and land use - in order to benefit yourself. Your above post seems to be backtracking on that which is good.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 07:35 PM

Very observant , I think we're bout to have a break through.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

And there is little that anyone can do to stop the trend - other then to band together in hunting clubs that control as much land as possible for their club.

Of course, anyone is also free to improve their lot in life and produce more income so they can afford or be willing to spend more on the outdoor lifestyle. Or spend more on whatever it is they want.

The problem I have with some in this thread and the other threads is they keep making complaints on here - with the subtle (or not so subtle) call for government intervention to redistribute resources from out of private hands and into their greedy socialist hands.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 08:47 PM

Any bow Mid Oct to day before Thanksgiving
Any bow or muzzle loader Thanksgiving day through Christmas Eve
Any bow, muzzle loader or firearm Christmas Day to day before Valentines

Keep you stick on the ice boys.

Re: If gun season were shortened....... - 03/02/21 10:34 PM

^^^
I like that CatHead
© 2024 ALDEER.COM