Aldeer.com

TRITICALE

Posted By: beav521

TRITICALE - 02/05/21 06:18 PM

Anyone have any of this on plots it’s 3 ft tall and deer don’t eat it what do y’all plant
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 06:25 PM

They eat it fine. You've either got too few deer, too much pressure, or too much other available food close by. Probably a combo of all three
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 06:51 PM

They eat it fine. Never had that problem. Sounds like you have very few deer.
Posted By: Spec

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 07:09 PM

Mowed it down as always. Make sure it has plenty of fertilizer.
Posted By: Ol’Tom

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 07:17 PM

Seem to like it everywhere I’ve ever planted it.
It’s not my go to I like Pennington’s feeding frenzy and WMS Mississippi but it’ll usually stop one crossing a road or lane in between pines.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 08:06 PM

All my plots are under 3” tall with most being a inch or so.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 08:32 PM

We planted it as part of our food plot mixes. Either the cold nipped it back or the deer have been hammering it. I’ve got plenty of pics of deer hammering plots, so I’m sure at least that is part of it.

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 08:35 PM

https://i.imgur.com/3SsNMME_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Don’t know if y’all can see pic but stuff looks like weeds think they said blend was 57% triticale

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 08:49 PM

57% triticale 43% weeds? eek

What was the other percentage?
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 09:43 PM

My 2 acres oats, wheat, tricale and arrowleaf clover is eaten down so short it looks like dirt painted green. I have a lot of deer
Posted By: filespinner

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 10:25 PM

Agree, looks like I have green dirt.
Posted By: hayman

Re: TRITICALE - 02/05/21 11:03 PM

It is short where I planted it. Deer seem to love the black oats and triticale mix.
Posted By: catdoctor

Re: TRITICALE - 02/06/21 01:35 AM

Deer are hammering my Triticale and black oat plots.
Will be planting them next year!
Posted By: mike35549

Re: TRITICALE - 02/06/21 03:56 PM

They eat it just fine at my place, this time of year they pretty much will eat anything green down to the ground.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: TRITICALE - 02/06/21 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by beav521
Anyone have any of this on plots it’s 3 ft tall and deer don’t eat it what do y’all plant

I planted a WMS mix of Triticale and black oats. Put 150# of 34-0-0 out when I planted (per acre) and another #150 between Christmas and NY. Mine outside the exclusion cage is about 1". Inside is about 33-36"

Have seen more deer this year that I ever did when planting wheat and clover in years past.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: TRITICALE - 02/07/21 02:46 AM

If your plots are tall this time of year, your deer herd is extinct, and you should take up another hobby, or find a better place to hunt laugh beers

Re: TRITICALE - 02/07/21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sumpter_al
Originally Posted by beav521

I planted a WMS mix of Triticale and black oats. Put 150# of 34-0-0 out when I planted (per acre) and another #150 between Christmas and NY. Mine outside the exclusion cage is about 1". Inside is about 33-36"

Have seen more deer this year that I ever did when planting wheat and clover in years past.

I meant to put up cages on our plots, but never got around to it for some reason or another. Our plots are short right now, but we have plenty of pics of deer using them. So I'm guessing that'w why. I would like to of seen what the difference between a non-browsed area on our plots would have looked like.
Posted By: CNC

Re: TRITICALE - 02/07/21 02:54 PM

Just my opinion but I think you’re problems are stemming from soil issues…….The triticale is pretty thin and probably not very palatable to the deer. It looks stressed….

Have you had a soil test? What is the low growing dark green plant?

Re: TRITICALE - 02/10/21 09:12 PM

Clover is low stuff they hit turnips good and other stuff but not sure if tall stuff is tricticale
Posted By: JohnG

Re: TRITICALE - 02/12/21 01:33 PM

Are you sure Italian ryegrass didn’t suppress the trit? If the grass is waxy looking, that may be the case, it’s happened to us a few times. If that’s the case, kill it before it goes to seed.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: TRITICALE - 02/12/21 03:38 PM

Why is the tall stuff non-existent in the center of the plot? If it was a blended mix that doesn't make sense from a planting perspective. Deer also wouldn't just eat one section unless there was some reason -- like there being sands or shooting houses on each end of the plot?
Posted By: buzzard

Re: TRITICALE - 02/14/21 01:52 PM

Triticale and black oats the last two years, we will plant both over anything else every year from here forward.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM