Aldeer.com

Shooting from vehicle

Posted By: General

Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:34 AM

Just wondering how many would shoot a deer from their ATV, side x side, tractor or truck on your hunting land. I was driving out On the golf cart a couple weeks ago and slipped up on a nice 8 that was bedded down with a doe. I stopped and scoped the buck for a couple of minutes but had no interest in killing him that way. In one way I guess it’s not much different than a slow stalk thru the woods but it feels a little unfair to me, Not starting this thread to judge Just wondering.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:37 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: top cat

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:40 AM

Long as you aren't moving or on public land gun
Posted By: Catfish28

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:41 AM

Yes. I’d shoot it. Every time.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:43 AM

As soon as I pull into our gate I’m looking for an easy kill. We’ve got a couple of long fields that We’ve been known to, on a cold wet day, to park at a field and watch from the truck.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:44 AM

Been there. Done it. And will do it again
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:44 AM

Heck I use my truck for a stand a lot.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:45 AM

If I’m checking my cows on my land in my truck or Polaris Ranger I have my gun with me for a reason . YES !
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:45 AM

If in truck just make sure the windows are down....I'll leave that right there
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:47 AM

If given the opportunity and it is still daylight - yea - I shooting him - take all my breaks I get if legal
Posted By: jb20

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:58 AM

U obviously don't hate em like I do...if it's on mine or my family land I'm gonna try n kill it if its worth the trouble...
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:17 AM

I've killed deer on my 4 wheeler with a bow-years ago when i was a good archer. just stand on the seat to see over the underbrush and they think they are hid.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:22 AM

Heck in TX that’s in their SOP manual. That’s how it’s done.

And yes I have and will again. Especially on does. Take them however legal method you can get them dead. Park, kill the engine and let her eat.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Me too.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:26 AM

Boom flop
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:29 AM

[Linked Image]

Shot this one while I was sitting in my truck by a power line eating lunch.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:34 AM

Ill take about any opportunity i get.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:37 AM

Killed one from my mountain bike. Made my way up a a fairly steep grade about a quarter of a mile. Got to where I was going to leave my bike and looked over and there stood a nice six point staring at me. I swung my rifle around and fired and he went down like a rock! I got off and drug him over to the bike, laid it down and got him straddled the center bar of the bike, tied his front hooves to each handlebar and raised the whole thing upright . I cautiously began the trip back down the grade with my feet on the brakes. I noticed the small rack had a large nock taken out of it at the base; then......the deers head moved a bit. I suddenly realized the deer was NOT dead and was slowly waking up! Things were going ok, however, until....he got his dangling hind feet on the pedals... I’m trying to hold back and he is pedaling forward...almost ran over two other hunters with funny looks on their faces. We hit the parking lot pretty hard with him flipping over the handlebars and landing on all four feet and bounding off into the woods...and if you believe THAT story u need to hear the one about the turkey in my backseat....
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:40 AM

A SXS is a shooting house on wheels. Is it ok if it's in P? How long in P until ok?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:41 AM

I have shot does that way but won't shoot a buck from the truck seat. I killed a 135" heavy heavy eight point several years ago with my ex brother in law. He was bedded with a hot doe in one of those odd spots. I had my wife with me the next mid day and was trying to show her where the buck was bedded. I pulled on past the spot and turned around. We were on a dim field trail/road. I stopped and pointed to where the buck was bedded. I glanced to my left and a huge 147" eleven point buck was bedded 20 yards to my left side with the same split ear doe. I never took my eyes off his eyes...asked my wife to hand me my 270...and a shell from the box. I quietly load one cartridge, opened the door, stepped clear and shot him in the bed. He bolted and ran 50 yards straight down into a steep draw. I had to drag him with the truck..he weighed 251 pounds. The buck the day before weighed 242 pounds. I named the split ear doe Ethyl and put her on the nevershootlist.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:43 AM

gun
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by MTeague
[Linked Image]

Yes I’m with him
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:52 AM

Do different then shooting from a shooting house or tree stand
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 03:00 AM

I shot a big old 8 point a few years ago while sitting in my clown car. I was driving back to the truck after a morning hunt and had a doe jump across the road right I front of me. Glanced over where she came from cause I figured she was probably running from a buck. Buck was just standing there looking at me no more than 10 yards from me. He watched me reach over for my gun, load it and shoot. He was so close to me all I could see in the scope was the color difference of his brisket. I shot, he fell. Took 3 of us to load him I the bed. Everybody still gives me shucks about that one. When you get a gimme, you got to take it.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 03:50 AM

Er' time.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Originally Posted by coachg34
If I’m checking my cows on my land in my truck or Polaris Ranger I have my gun with me for a reason . YES !

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Ill take about any opportunity i get.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 04:17 AM

When I was younger....yes. Now a days, no. Just wouldn’t be right for me anymore. Not judging, just not my thing. Killing a deer is easy enough anyway these days.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 05:16 AM

A place I grew up hunting just never was a good place to see many deer little alone shoot many good bucks. Being young I was trying to let the the does go and raise a good buck. A few years later I figured out why the local herd would not grow. The locals controlled the population! Deer are attracted to a good buffet just like people. I fed the deer just not buffet style. Every morning for 3 days in a row about 7:00 am I would here a single shot...boom. On the forth morning I was ready for the shot and almost on cue...boom. Come to find out the neighbor that was disabled had planted a big field, an agricultural field with ten times what the herd could ever eat the entire season for that area. The deer were coming from miles to eat the buffet! The guy would drop his kid off at the bus stop, drive around to the field and drop a deer from his truck, come back, and clean it. Never could see more than one deer for very long on that place. For people with deer problems there is usually always someone nearby that will come out and control the population, this guy would be that guy if you have one nearby. I reckon after seeing that makes me almost always against agricultural farms shooting and leaving deer unless they make an effort to let someone control the population that can use the meat. Coyotes would have never stood a chance or any predator if it eat their deer meat on these folks land. These folks would sit day and night to wipe out all the predators, but they would leave just enough deer to have some for the next year. They should be the show Meat-eaters not on it!
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 11:56 AM

Back in the '90s I hunted near Demopolis with an old guy. He'd hunt nearly every day from his truck. Shot a 25'06 and killed a crazy amount of deer.
Posted By: gman

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
If in truck just make sure the windows are down....I'll leave that right there

Ears still ringing, huh?
Posted By: Mully

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 01:45 PM

Don't let one give me the opportunity...
Posted By: UA Hunter

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:01 PM

Not my preferred method, but yeah I'd kill one like that in the right circumstances.

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:22 PM

Surprised to see so many who would, I guess I'm not mad enough at them anymore. I have passed probably 10 three year old's this year and one who is at least four years old. I guess if it was the one I was after I might send it. The one I saw that day was the best I had seen all year but I just didn't think I'd take a whole lot of joy out of killing him.

Reminds me of when I started turkey hunting and my Grand-paw told me "Boy, kill 'em any damn way you can until you get good at it then kill 'em the way you're supposed to".
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:41 PM

Was reading this and thought of a funny thing I did when I was about 30 years younger.
It is funny now but was not funny then. Was going to hunting property one afternoon and had to drive across about 100 acre field. Well about half way across I see a big buck standing right next to tree line. I stop the truck and put the 7 mag out the window. Excited and not paying attention I have the barrel resting on the window instead of the forearm .Well I pull the trigger and the window explodes. I killed the deer but it was an expensive lesson.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:44 PM

gun
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:45 PM

Was reading this and thought of a funny thing I did when I was about 30 years younger.
It is funny now but was not funny then. Was going to hunting property one afternoon and had to drive across about 100 acre field. Well about half way across I see a big buck standing right next to tree line. I stop the truck and put the 7 mag out the window. Excited and not paying attention I have the barrel resting on the window instead of the forearm .Well I pull the trigger and the window explodes. I killed the deer but it was an expensive lesson.

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1955Retiree

lol

We had a pack of wild dogs roaming the farm when I was about 15 and we spotted them laying under some privet in the edge of a peanut field. We loaded up in the truck with a couple of shooters in the back and a door gunner in the passenger seat. We turned the corner in the field and opened up on the dogs, buckshot was flying everywhere and dogs were flopping around in a hail of gunfire that in my young mind was the closest thing to what allied soldiers encountered while storming the beaches at Normandy. When the dust and smoke settled we had killed most if not all of the dogs and the door gunner blew the sideview mirror clean off that old Scottsdale pickup! He said he had spun sideways in the seat trying to get a better angle and took it out on his second shot. That was a fun day!
Posted By: garyo

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 03:19 PM

WMA atv has to be shut down , rifle not loaded while moving, once shut down load up atv becomes my chair.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 03:46 PM

My old legs don't carry me where they once did , but my electric cart does. I have a few places where I can park and watch the woods. A little camo over the front and you got a blind.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by General
Originally Posted by 1955Retiree

lol

We had a pack of wild dogs roaming the farm when I was about 15 and we spotted them laying under some privet in the edge of a peanut field. We loaded up in the truck with a couple of shooters in the back and a door gunner in the passenger seat. We turned the corner in the field and opened up on the dogs, buckshot was flying everywhere and dogs were flopping around in a hail of gunfire that in my young mind was the closest thing to what allied soldiers encountered while storming the beaches at Normandy. When the dust and smoke settled we had killed most if not all of the dogs and the door gunner blew the sideview mirror clean off that old Scottsdale pickup! He said he had spun sideways in the seat trying to get a better angle and took it out on his second shot. That was a fun day!

rofl rofl

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/05/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jacannon
My old legs don't carry me where they once did , but my electric cart does. I have a few places where I can park and watch the woods. A little camo over the front and you got a blind.

Jcannon I don’t have a problem with that one bit, that’s hunting.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/06/21 09:33 PM

What if you just run over it DW style...
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Shooting from vehicle - 02/06/21 09:38 PM

And I might know someone who emptied 2 mags out of an AR at a herd of about 25 hogs last summer. Killed 8.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM