Aldeer.com

Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it

Posted By: Squeaky

Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 06:44 PM

I was curious to know if anyone on here uses a tree saddle system? If so what is your set up if you do not mind sharing? I was looking at Tethers website and could not make heads or tails out of what is exactly needed to be safe and comfortable.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 06:54 PM

Used a buddy of mines and it for me
Posted By: cmitchell

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 06:59 PM

im using one i had made out of a muddy harness. still have to climb with something, rope,screw in steps, sticks or what ever your method. I have put some effort into it but at this point i feel like im quicker and less noisy with my climber. it feels safe to me, just a lot of stuff to keep up with and use, tether, linemans rope, sticks and there straps im having to use a pack to carry it all. I aint give up but leaning back towards my climber. Lots of different brands out there.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 07:24 PM

Yeah I am not sure about them myself. I have found some public land areas that are a pretty good walk and I'm considering trying one so I do not have to carry a stand into these places. I have a lone wolf loc-on and 4 of their quick sticks. The set up is put together with a lumbar waist belt and quality back pack straps. Might just stick with it even though it's heavier than I'd like for long walks.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 07:34 PM

I switched to a saddle this year. It’s quite the investment, but I’m liking it so far. If it’s between a lock-on and saddle, I’ll use the saddle 10/10 times. I just find it more comfortable and I can kind of swing around and stuff when I’m bored. I don’t have to sit cramped in the lock-on (I have a lone wolf assault).

I pack it all in a badlands 2200 pack. I’d say it’s a good 8lbs lighter than my lone wolf setup, but i couldn’t stand carrying the lock-on around. It hurt my back even with a hip belt and good straps.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 07:34 PM

I've been using one for two seasons now. Will not ever go back to toting a climber. I am more mobile, lighter, and way more quiet with a saddle and can get set up in about the same amount of time as putting a climber on a tree and climbing. I have tried almost every climbing method imaginable with it and have narrowed it down to my two favorites, climbing spikes and single stick with an aider.

The gear that I use on a daily basis:
Tethrd Mantis saddle with upgraded adjustable amsteel bridge
Tethrd lineman belt
30' of Sterling Ivy climbing rope (doubles as my tether and rappel line)
MadRock Safeguard (mechanical belay for rappelling)
Tethrd Predator Platform
Homemade gear strap
30' of paracord (for gear hoist/rappel line retrieval)

Climbing methods:
Tree hog climbing spikes or a Lone Wolf Custom Single Stick with 4 step aider

[Linked Image]

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 07:37 PM

I carry all of my stuff either in the pouches on the saddle or in my Badlands Super Day pack. Hunted in FL last week and was making 3.5 mile hikes with it all to get into a tree. Definitely had it made compared to my buddy who walked in with me with his summit AND pack on his back.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 07:41 PM

To add to my previous statement, there’s really no extra gear required that you aren’t (or should be) using with a lock on other than the saddle itself and the platform. You should already be using lineman’s ropes and such. I will say if you go with a saddle, get two of the side bags. It put my lineman’s ropes in my left, and all my straps for the climbing sticks and such on my left. It makes it easy to just pull a strap out and throw it on the stick than having the buckles clanging as you climb with them. I will also say if you don’t already have an ascender on your lineman’s belt, get one. It’s not a saddle specific thing, but I went ahead and bit the bullet on two when I switched to a saddle. It makes my life a lot easier

My set up is:

Platform: tethrd predator XL
Saddle: cruzer XC
Sticks: Hawk Helium’s.
Side packs: I have one cruzer and one Tethrd. Go with 2x tethrd is you can.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 09:28 PM

I’ve been using a saddle for 2 years. I’ve tried just shy of 20 different saddles and only a handful were truly comfortable. I think size and shape play just as much into your comfort level as your tether and bridge height. I do carry a back pack because I don’t like walking long distances with the extra weight on my hips. So I don’t use pouches. I’m fairly minimalistic as my climbing stick is also my platform. I can get to hunting height 20+ feet in four moves. Your best bet is to check out saddlehunter.com and meet some guys that live near you and check out their gear to see what you like. Like others have said depending on what route you go it can be a big investment. The major trade off is weight and bulk. You can shave that down even more by climbing with a single stick. It took me some time to get used to but it’s all I have used this year. With The saddle I feel like you sacrifice some comfort. That said, in the right saddle I’ve made all day sits without any problem and plenty of 6 hours sits. Regardless, I’m not planning on changing anytime soon.
I bring a backpack mostly to hold my stick platform and all my cold weather gear since I don’t walk in with any heavy clothes on.

And props to coosa because the Tethrd mantis is by far the most uncomfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in

There are lot of people biting on the hype train and then not spending enough time to get their system down so I would also recommend buying used.
The basics are
A climbing method (sticks or steps)
A platform (these range from minimalistic ring of steps too fairly roomy ones like the Trophyline mission platform)
A saddle (there are more brands then tethrd they just have done the best at marketing, that doesn’t mean the make the best)
A tether (8-12mm rope which you girthhitch to the tree and connect to the saddle with a caribiner
A linemans belt (pretty standard for anyone that has climbed stick before and is essentially the same as a tether).

My set up is currently

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Saddle: Latitude Method (subject to change)
Stick/platform: 18” lonewolf post, Doublestep standoffs from doublestep.com, scout angled platform from OOAL, double step off a old stick, and a tied 3 step webbing aider.
I rappel down with a figure 8 and autoblock.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 09:43 PM

As far as safety goes the saddle is your safety system but it is Not a fall arrest system. At hunting height since you should be weighted in your tether And saddle at all times you don’t present The risk of falling and subjecting your system to dynamic loads. There are ways to mitigate other risks but you should understand fully what those risk are before trying saddle hunting. I’m not sure where you located but I’m in Cullman/Huntsville if you need any help getting started. I sell everything I try though so I wouldn’t have a whole lot of options for you to try.

Also, though it seems a little silly and I haven’t personally been busted for it per Alabama law/regs require anyone suspending/hanging from a tree tO wear a full body harness. As you can probably tell the saddle is not a full body harness, but more akin to a rock climbing harness or a arborist saddle.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003

And props to coosa because the Tethrd mantis is by far the most uncomfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in

I’ll be trying a Latitude Method after this season is over. I don’t think the Mantis is uncomfortable but I’ve definitely had my eye on that Method for a while now.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 09:47 PM

I use a latitude method. It’s a learning curve at first but worth it.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 09:55 PM

Thank you guys for the detailed information. I know have some solid info to dig deeper into a saddle set up. My goal is to be light as possible due to distance of these areas. Some are well over an hour at a steady walk with no gear so it would be miserable toting a heavy stand into these areas. My goal is to have something light, packable, comfortable that will get me to at least 18' to 20'. I'm around 210/215 and 5' 11' so not to bad over weight but have had both hips replaced.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 10:14 PM

Ain't that mad at them anymore
Posted By: JB71

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 10:15 PM

Take a look at the JX3 too. It's like sitting in a chair while hanging from the tree. I have problems with sciatica and my summit killed my back if I had to walk any distance. So far, no problems with the JX3. Also, there is no need for knee pads as it has a feature that keeps you away from the tree and you can use your top step as the platform.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Ain't that mad at them anymore
Posted By: grundan

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 11:00 PM

I bought a Merlin saddle, tree-suit platform. I had ropes, carabiners , sticks, and bolts to climb with. It is gonna be a learning curve so I didn’t embark on it mid season, just been sitting in it out in my back yard.
I will definitely be looking at climbing with 1 stick in places I haven’t pre drilled for bolts.
I haven’t weighed it but I would guess I am about 8 pounds or so with the ability to climb 20+ feet.
If you get up north, gimme a shout and you can demo the one I have.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 11:22 PM

I`m kinda intrigued by saddle hunting myself. I`m sure I can figure out most of the pros and cons. One of my main questions is, realistically how comfortable is it for long sits? I routinely sit 6-7 hours in my climber as well as some all day sits with zero comfort issues. I have other questions as well but comfort is my #1 priority.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MS_Hunter
I`m kinda intrigued by saddle hunting myself. I`m sure I can figure out most of the pros and cons. One of my main questions is, realistically how comfortable is it for long sits? I routinely sit 6-7 hours in my climber as well as some all day sits with zero comfort issues. I have other questions as well but comfort is my #1 priority.

I sat in mine last week in FL for four days straight from daylight till dark. Only came down for an hour or so at noon to stretch a little and lay on the ground for a cat nap in a sunny spot lol

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/18/21 11:46 PM

I’ve had mine 2 months or so and done quite a few 6 hours sits in mine and i find it more comfy than the lock on. The key is to adjust it. If I feel like the back of my legs hurt, I can adjust the points where the bridge attaches to the saddle and make it more on my hips. If I feel my hips are pinching, I can move it the other way. Once you find the sweet spot, you’re good to go. The only thing more comfortable than my saddle is my turkey lounger I use for ground hunting.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 12:04 AM

Mike, give me a call sometime and I will go into detail on what I know. I’ve been using one for two years now.

Here is what it boils down to. A saddle is 1000x times better in the portion of your hunt from the truck to being settled in a tree. Actually hunting out of it, a comfortable climber is better than a saddle, and a lonewolf lock-on is about equal to a saddle. That being said, I have not used a climber in the last two season, even though many times I’m only walking a few hundred yards from the truck.

I put off going to a saddle for a long time because it made no sense from a weight perspective by the time you added up 4 sticks, a platform, and the saddle. I was already using a x stand that weighed 12 pounds, so I would actually be gaining weight.

When I did start using a saddle, I got climbing spurs. With saddle, platform, and spurs, my setup weighs 9#s. With all of my hunting gear, it’s about like wearing a turkey vest as far as weight and compactness.

The only climbing methods I would consider are spurs, ultimate 1 stick, or lone wolf hand climber. From a weight/speed/compactness standpoint, those are the only ones that make sense to me.

Spurs are extremely fast, you can climb any tree that will hold your weight, very compact, quiet, and light. But most public land you can’t use them. The lonewolf hand climber is a really good option, and probably the best weight to speed combination, but your tree choices are more limited. 1 sticking is allows for more versatility on tree selection than the hand climber, but it’s the least compact, most labor intensive of the 3 I mentioned.

As far as saddle brands go. I have an H2. I’ve tried a tethrd mantis and phantom, a kestrel flex, and a cruzr xc. If I was to pick a new saddle today I would get a cruzr xc or a lattitude method. Tethrd are the least comfortable of the saddles I’ve tried.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 12:11 AM

I’ve watched a bunch of videos on it and read a bunch in the saddle hunter forums, and I just don’t see it. I could be wrong, but it looks like a hassle.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t we willing to try it once, but it would take a lot of convincing.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 12:46 AM

No deer is worth that to me laugh

Ladder stands are as crazy as I’ll get.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 03:00 AM

How is this for us bigger boys? 6'2"/265lbs
Posted By: ShaftOne

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 04:09 AM

I have just recently got into the saddle hunting myself and I have been extremely happy with it so far. ( I was skeptical at first becuase I did not know how 258# would hang from the treestand diaper, but I am glad I explored it) What I have noticed form the comfort aspect of it, is that you can literally adjust it all morning for your desired comfort/needs at that time. I have not sat in mine all day yet, but from 4-6 hours is a breeze. I think Broadhead makes a great point in one of his responses when he talks about the ability to swing around. This makes slow mornings a little more enjoyable. I think a saddle opens up WAY more shot oportunities than a traditional stand if needed as well.

I do think there is a time and place for it. I will still use a traditonal lock on on any given day, but if I am running and gunning, I will be in a saddle over a climber.

I am currently running the tetherd Phantom, and using hawk hellium sticks. I enjoy using the top stick as a resting place, but I believe a platform would be a game changer.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 04:28 AM

Coosa from the picture you posted it looks like when you draw your bow the string would hit the ropes that hold you up.
Posted By: Myerz

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 10:25 AM

Do these work even for bigger guys? (6'2" 240)
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 12:58 PM

I'm 6' 3" 270# and I've been using one for about 2.5 seasons. I use the Mantis now with a battle belt. I have major hip pinch and have tried a few different ones. I just sold the Method because it was worse on me. As far as climbing goes, I HATE dealing with sticks unless I have to. I have 3 Hawk sticks that I cut down to 24". With a 5 step aider, I can get to 24' no problem. I use the sticks when I'm hunting the Midwest or striking out into the unknown. If I know there are gonna be straight trees where I'm going, I use a Summit Open Shot top as a climbing method. It weighs less than 3 sticks and I can be in a tree in no time. I tested it in the yard for using it as a platform and climbing method all in one. I was able to put side pressure on it and it not kick out but I haven't hunted with it like that yet. I plan to put some expanded aluminum on and some eye bolts where I can run a strap around the tree and tighten it up. Then I know for sure it won't ever kick out. That top I have weighs around 6 lbs.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Auburn_03
Coosa from the picture you posted it looks like when you draw your bow the string would hit the ropes that hold you up.

Not at all, the bridge (rope that the tree tether is attached to) is connected to the saddle right at your belt line and angles up and away from you. Never had it even touch my bow string.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bowtarist
I have major hip pinch and have tried a few different ones.

I had some bad hip pinch in mine but then I changed it to a much longer adjustable bridge, hip pinch is completely gone now.
Posted By: jarcher38

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 01:48 PM

These guys have covered it well in detail. I have been in one for a few years and yes there is a learning curve but when you figure out how everything works and find what works for you I can just about promise you won’t go back to anything else unles certain situations arise. Climbers and lock ons have there place and I still use occasionally but for me 95% of the time it’s the saddle.
I use kestrel, 3 helium sticks/ spurs when leagal and predator as a platform. All is on my pack / slim package all together.

Give it a shot and give it some time. And if it’s not for you you won’t have a hard time selling on Saddle hunter forum or other social media platforms

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 02:02 PM

I'll say this as well. The first few times I hunted from a saddle it took me FOREVER to get up the tree and set up. But as time went on and I got my routine tweaked I became faster and faster. now I have an exact list of steps that I know I need to do in order when I get to a tree and I can fly through them and be set up in no time.
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 03:07 PM

The real question is "can i piss while saddled in"?
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 03:28 PM

I've been looking into going the saddle route for the last 3 years, but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. My biggest thing for wanting to go to one is hunting public land a lot, when you find a perfect spot but the climber won't git on the tree or the tree has a ton of limbs, so a climber limits where I can climb, and I looked but going to a lock on with sticks and it won't be any lighter then my climbing setup for all day sits, my summit ultimate viper,rifle,backpack for all day sits is pushing 30lbs and isn't very fun to pack in after 1.5 miles, I've put the mole pack frame in my climber to help with positioning the load and its a vast improvement over the factory back pack straps. My thinking was a saddle would let me get into any tree I need to that will hold my heavy self regardless of tree diameter, where the climber won't go because the tree is to big, or a good location with a crooked tree or a tree with limbs. Was looking at going with a aero hunter saddle and hawk sticks should bring my overall weight down a good bit plus open up locations and trees I was not able to climb before. I climb almost every sit on public and private land. From what I've notice ladder stands deer seem to check them by looking up at them when they walk by

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 04:24 PM

Yeah I can get into some pretty limby trees with mine cool

[Linked Image]

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 05:11 PM

Thanks again guy's. The spurs are gonna be a no go as the places are state and federal public. I will need to use sticks or a hand climber some of y'all mention. I am trying to visually figure out how y'all use a hand climber. Is there a YouTube video showing someone using this method? The timber is plenty big and straight in these areas so finding a suitable tree will not be an issue.
Posted By: bama_earl

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 05:12 PM

[quote=Coosa1]

How do you do this without unhooking. Are you going between a linemans belt and back to the main top connection? Seen some youTube videos but I don't see how they get in limb trees.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bama_earl
[quote=Coosa1]

How do you do this without unhooking. Are you going between a linemans belt and back to the main top connection? Seen some youTube videos but I don't see how they get in limb trees.

I girth hitch the loop end of my tether to one of my saddle linemans loops and use it as a secondary linemans belt by clipping it on the other loop. That way I can alternate between two linemans belts when going over limbs.
Posted By: Rick_SGandT

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 05:50 PM

New to the forums here, so hope you don't mind a newbie weighing in! I'm in my first full season as a saddle hunter. I started late last deer season with some DIY configurations that were ok at best, so I bought the Tethrd Phantom during the offseason. I've used it almost exclusively this year, outside of a couple of lock on sits. I'm still tweaking my gear and process, but I am all in. All I can speak from is my experience, but I the first thing I can tell you is that I was not very efficient at the beginning and began to question if it was worth it. My guess is a lot of folks do that and likely never fight through it to get to the good part. I made noise and I'm sure looked like an idiot hanging from the tree, trying to get sticks hung, platform set etc. If you're a mobile hunter like me, you've probably been hunting out of climbers forever, so you have that process down. You've climbed hundreds of trees the same way, every time and it's just familiar to you. All that said, to say there will be a learning curve, but if you're willing to learn and keep at it, you'll probably find it's a really awesome way to hunt. I've made some pretty quick progress this year, and no longer debate over climber or saddle. Personally I'm not super sensitive to weight, so my set up is 4 x 20" Helium sticks, each with cable aiders attached. I have a DIY platform at the moment, but plan to get one of the larger production platforms for next year. Again, not really worried about weight, and I believe the extra foot room will give you more mobility around the tree when the shot calls for it. With that set up, I can get to 22 feet or so (I'm only 5'9" with boots on!) and I can do it relatively quickly. I've got a Tethrd HYS strap for my gear once I get in the tree, not unlike what some of the pictures here have shown. With that thing, I can be set up and ready to go super fast. I've been impressed with the comfort too. I've had some pretty long sits this year, and can't complain about being uncomfortable. I do recommend one of the back/recliner straps if you do plan on long sits...game changer.

I'll quit rambling, but to try and summarize, I'm totally digging it. Again, weight aside, the packability is unquestionable...much easier to navigate through the woods with than a climber. The flexibility and options you have with the trees you can climb, is undeniably better than with a climber. The range of motion allows so many more shot opportunities than a standard harness and stand. It's safer because if you're doing it right, you're pretty much tied off the entire time, up and down. Like I said, it's my preferred method now on both public and private land. If you're a mobile hunter and are willing to put in the time to learn your process, you'll probably come away with the same thoughts. Tons of good info online that has helped me as well. I've leaned on saddlehunter.com a lot and still find hacks that I can apply to get better and better. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
Posted By: bama_earl

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
Originally Posted by bama_earl
[quote=Coosa1]

I girth hitch the loop end of my tether to one of my saddle linemans loops and use it as a secondary linemans belt by clipping it on the other loop. That way I can alternate between two linemans belts when going over limbs.

Sounds good.. thanks!
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by fireman176

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 08:36 PM

Oh yeah that's easy. Just unzip, rotate your hips out away from the tree and let 'er rip.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1

Oh yeah that's easy. Just unzip, rotate your hips out away from the tree and let 'er rip.

Ive never worried about pissin while up a tree, because if a deer is gonna smell my pee, he gonna smell me.
Posted By: AMB

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/19/21 10:08 PM

I have the treehopper recon saddle and the tree suit platform. I bought some Samson predator rope and a couple of ropeman 1ascenders and a couple of caribiners and made my own lineman’s belt and tree tether. I’ve used a Simmons drill since the 80s with 3/8 bolts to climb with, not going to work on public, just through that in just in case some may be interested. Simmons no longer has a drill, but treehopper makes one and also has a bit that will fit in your cordless drill.
Here is a link to treehopper website: https://www.treehopperllc.com/shop/
I like the 2 panels on the treehopper recon because there is more room for adjusting for comfort. I borrowed a aero hunter kestrel from a friend and tried it out, it was heavy and not very comfortable to me. I am going to try some sort of sticks for hunting public land.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/20/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Squeaky
Thanks again guy's. The spurs are gonna be a no go as the places are state and federal public. I will need to use sticks or a hand climber some of y'all mention. I am trying to visually figure out how y'all use a hand climber. Is there a YouTube video showing someone using this method? The timber is plenty big and straight in these areas so finding a suitable tree will not be an issue.

Just imagine the lone wolf hand climber being the bottom section of a climber and your tree saddle/tether being the top section.

There should be plenty of videos on YouTube.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/20/21 02:35 AM

Most of your comfort will come from having a good saddle and finding that sweet spot in your bridge. It’ll take some time and probably have to adjust a bit during your sit. A platform of some sort is a must. I use an etrier or “aider” as some will call it with every step I put on so it lightens the load.
Once you find the setup your happy with you’ll be glad you have a saddle. Basically no limits as to which tree you climb and a lot of time that has helped me stay concealed.
If anyone around Wetumpka wants to try it before you purchase just give me a shout and I’ll go over everything.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/20/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Squeaky

Basically, I just sit in the saddle and push myself away from the tree with my hands when using the hand climber. I've got pics somewhere. I'll see if I can dig em up.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 04:07 AM

Do any of you guys use the artisan mini platform that takes the place of the top step of your stick (or anything similar)? If so, is there much difference in that vs just standing on the top stick.
Posted By: BamaWes14

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 11:42 AM

I recently just got into it after seeing a few guys at my club using them. I went with the JX3 hybrid saddle and with the wild edge over steps. Haven’t spent much time using them going to try and get familiar with them this off season and be ready for next season. Thought about getting a top platform to stand on but for now going to try and see how I like using my top step as my standing spot. Wild edge has a platform that locks into your top step but their stuff isn’t cheap. Also going to give the hawk helium sticks a try.
Posted By: Cheaha

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 01:37 PM

I have been using a saddle for the last two seasons. Same observations the rest have expressed. I do wish I had a size larger. 6'1" and 210#, I bought a Tethrd Mantis in Large based on the website sizing info, but really need an XL. It took me a while to trust the system but now I am cautiously confident in it, meaning I double check every connection before committing to the tether alone. I saw this video the other night. Lesson is check the condition of your equipment! If I had taken a fall like this I am sure I would not have survived. I don't have the muscle mass this guy has...https://youtu.be/uLOJ3eyeZe4
Posted By: Scott4Hunting

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 04:59 PM

I’m using the Tethrd Phantom and OOAL Podium. Really enjoyed them both this year.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShaftOne
Do any of you guys use the artisan mini platform that takes the place of the top step of your stick (or anything similar)? If so, is there much difference in that vs just standing on the top stick.

I use OOAL Scout which is about the size of the artisan mini platform. They make the scout in a flat style and an angled style. If you only sit they the flat scout makes the most sense; however, if you are leaning a majority of the time or want to lean at all get the angled scout. The angle matches the angle of your ankles better while leaning in a saddle and makes a big difference on comfort. I’ve used the angled scout all season. It is more comfortable than the rope of a double step. Take a look at the first couple posts and you’ll see my stick with scout mounted to it.

FYI OOAL is coming out soon with what they are calling the monarch which will have both the flat and the angle part to it. Itll be $99 compared to $69 I believe.

Here is the angled scout. This was from this past summer before I added the aider and doublestep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bmc77

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 06:37 PM

There's no way in hell you can be up a tree in a saddle quicker than me putting my Summit Goliah on tree in probably 2 minutes or less.As far as freedom of movement doesn't that work against being still so you don't get busted by a deer?I'm open minded about new hunting techniques but common sense tells me this doesn't pass the smell test.I see the advantage of climbing a variety of trees and thsts about it.
Posted By: Engine5

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 06:48 PM

I got the JX3 Hybrid this season. The saddle is amazing, however using the climbing sticks is a royal pain. Especially after walking 1/3 mile up the mountain. Im going to really practice with the setup during the off season.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by bmc77
There's no way in hell you can be up a tree in a saddle quicker than me putting my Summit Goliah on tree in probably 2 minutes or less.As far as freedom of movement doesn't that work against being still so you don't get busted by a deer?I'm open minded about new hunting techniques but common sense tells me this doesn't pass the smell test.I see the advantage of climbing a variety of trees and thsts about it.

Using sticks, a climber is faster. Using spurs, I can run circles around your climber.

The two biggest advantages of using a saddle other than tree selection, is weight and compactness. My setup is about 14lbs lighter than your summit. And you never realize how much of a pain in the ass it is walking through the woods with the profile of a climber on your back, until all you’ve got is a medium backpack with no metal clanging around.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 07:36 PM

As far as freedom of movement doesn't that work against being still so you don't get busted by a deer?

Ideally you set up with the tree between you and where you think the deer will be. But even with them coming from the side/behind you your profile is at an angle when you're leaning back in the saddle so you look like a big limb coming off the side of the tree. I feel like I've been busted WAY less in a saddle than when I hunted from a climber.
Posted By: Scott4Hunting

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 07:39 PM

I just put sticks in my main spots and carry my platform up and step in it. I keep a light set of sticks for a mobile setup. Not so much how quickly, but how quietly a saddle set up can go up, as well as go in basically any tree to keep some cover. I like using climbers too but I hunt some areas where there isn’t a good tree for a climber within bow range of trails.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 08:05 PM

I deer hunt for enjoyment and relaxation not for punishment

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
I deer hunt for enjoyment and relaxation not for punishment

I have never felt punished or inconvenienced in my saddle
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/21/21 10:01 PM

I think Ill stick to my 5 gallon bucket.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 04:11 AM

Saddles aren’t for everyone, I would say try someone’s just for the heck of it. If it sux, keep toting that climber or whatever suits your hunting style. I’m gonna keep my viper, my old wind walker loc-on and my saddle. I’ve got a few spots that each works well in.
Posted By: Mossy

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 04:43 AM

I'm on my 1st full season saddle hunting. I used my cousins set up for the last part of last season just to see how I would like it before buying everything. I have a tethered phantom and have zero issues being comfortable in it. I use 4 hawk 20 inch sticks and I have a predator xl platform. I hunt public land at skyline and I can tell you it's way easier carrying my saddle set up in those mountains than it is a summit climber. There's more of a learning curve to saddle hunting than using a climber but its all about getting a routine in place that works for you and practicing it.
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 03:05 PM

Been hunting from a tree saddle since 2007. Definate learning curve to using one, and you'll figure out various refinements to your personal technique as you go.

I have the original Green's Tree Saddle leather version. The biggest PITA to using it was the factory tether and lineman's belt. I finally broke down this year, doing away with the factory tether and just using a climbers rope with a Ropeman & Carabineer. I also cut the factory lineman's belt off the treesaddle (the original Tree Saddles linemans belt is an integral part of the saddle) and use a Rollercam strap, which works just like a Ropeman & rope, but easier to manipulate.

For getting up the tree I started out with 3 full size Lone Wolf sticks and ended up going with 6 Lone Wolf mini sticks (easier to transport). I bought a set of 12 Silent Approach strap on steps this year, but they were a PITA on my one & only climb with them and shelved them for this year, to try them again later. My next approach will be to use 4 of my mini sticks with a CAYG aider.

For my platform I started out with a ring of 4 Ameristeps on a ratchet strap until I found a certain type of cam buckle that had a latching mechanism, and had some straps made for them, in which I use 2 steps on 2 straps, and position them as needed on the tree.

I have hunted out of Old Man, Summit, and API climbers, and will never go back to using them. Some day, someone may walk by me, and find a skeleton hanging up in the tree. wink
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 03:38 PM

No one should even consider using a saddle..... uncomfortable and aggravating. You will not like it!!! 😁

Actually I have 4 saddles (Kestral, Flex, Quidos Web and the JX3. I sold all my climbers and lockon stands except for my tree lounge for gun hunting cutovers. The reason I wish less people saddle hunted is because when I hunt Kentucky public land and some public in Bama I have way more company in the areas further away from the roads and parking spots. If these guys would use their climbers I would have these spots more to myself for the most part because they are to big and heavy to want to carry in and out a mile or 2.

So again you will not want to use one!!!!!

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Originally Posted by ShaftOne

I use OOAL Scout which is about the size of the artisan mini platform. They make the scout in a flat style and an angled style. If you only sit they the flat scout makes the most sense; however, if you are leaning a majority of the time or want to lean at all get the angled scout. The angle matches the angle of your ankles better while leaning in a saddle and makes a big difference on comfort. I’ve used the angled scout all season. It is more comfortable than the rope of a double step. Take a look at the first couple posts and you’ll see my stick with scout mounted to it.

FYI OOAL is coming out soon with what they are calling the monarch which will have both the flat and the angle part to it. Itll be $99 compared to $69 I believe.

Here is the angled scout. This was from this past summer before I added the aider and doublestep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good info, and thanks for sharing. Just by looking at the picture, I feel like that would give you the right amount of room to do what you needed without having to attach the platform too. I am going to look into that for next season.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 04:23 PM

I feel like the freedom of movement allows you to always obstruct the deer's view. If you needed to, you could rotate and always keep the tree in-between you and the deer. I use to think the same way about the quickness of the set up, but after using it, I would disagree with you. You may not be as quick with it at first, but once you figure out your setup, it is way quicker/easier in my opinion.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 08:18 PM

What happens when your start to descend and drop your tether or linemans rope (life line)?
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 08:43 PM

I don't know anything about tree saddles, but I work with a guy that uses one. Something came loose last year and he fell 22 feet and landed facedown, before daylight. Busted him up perty bad. He had a can of buck bomb in his shirt pocket, and it was as flat as a beer can. He still has soreness in both wrists and ribs.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 09:44 PM

What happens when your start to descend and drop your tether or linemans rope (life line)?

You have a tether and a lineman’s rope. You hook up your lineman’s belt before unhooking you’re tether after a hunt. For me, the tether goes straight clipped on the saddle after taking off the tree. So you’re connected to the lineman’s belt now as you climb down your sticks. Climb down. If you need to go around a limb, detach the tether and use It as a second lineman’s belt.

I’ve hunted out of a saddle 2 years and haven’t once dropped a lineman’s belt or a tether. I’m not saying it’s I’m possible but it would be very hard.

When you’re in the tree you always have weight on your tether so it’s not like it’s going anywhere.

For us guys that 1-stick climb, we use a rappel rope to descend after a hunt.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/22/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jdkprp70
I don't know anything about tree saddles, but I work with a guy that uses one. Something came loose last year and he fell 22 feet and landed facedown, before daylight. Busted him up perty bad. He had a can of buck bomb in his shirt pocket, and it was as flat as a beer can. He still has soreness in both wrists and ribs.

That’s awful and hope your buddy is ok. Something coming loose sounds like an incorrectly tied knot or user error, not the fault of the saddle.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/23/21 12:18 AM

guy at work uses them and man it looks dangerous as hell watching him set it up. He damn near cut his tether line while screwing around with a knife one time too. Screw that.

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 01/23/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
guy at work uses them and man it looks dangerous as hell watching him set it up. He damn near cut his tether line while screwing around with a knife one time too. Screw that.

I’ve cut tether lines intentionally with a knife and trust me, it takes some sawing and effort even with a super sharp knife.
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 02/08/21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by smokinya
No one should even consider using a saddle..... uncomfortable and aggravating. You will not like it!!! 😁

Actually I have 4 saddles (Kestral, Flex, Quidos Web and the JX3. I sold all my climbers and lockon stands except for my tree lounge for gun hunting cutovers. The reason I wish less people saddle hunted is because when I hunt Kentucky public land and some public in Bama I have way more company in the areas further away from the roads and parking spots. If these guys would use their climbers I would have these spots more to myself for the most part because they are to big and heavy to want to carry in and out a mile or 2.

How’s shooting a bow out of the JX3?

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 02/09/21 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jus_me

How’s shooting a bow out of the JX3?

Terrible. I used one 2 hunts and sold it. I drew back on a doe 3x before I got the right angle to avoid the bridge. Then I missed her by about 5 feet. The only thing I can figure is my form was so jacked up, that I torqued the bow something terrible. My fault for not practicing before hand, but I’ve spent a lot of time in a standard saddle and a jx3 is way more limiting with a bow. After that, I practiced out of it for about 20 shots, and got rid of it. You have to position your left side completely perpendicular to your target, which means walking around the tree.
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Tree Saddle System...does anyone use it - 02/09/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler
Originally Posted by Jus_me

How’s shooting a bow out

of the JX3?

Terrible. I used one 2 hunts and sold it. I drew back on a doe 3x before I got the right angle to avoid the bridge. Then I missed her by about 5 feet. The only thing I can figure is my form was so jacked up, that I torqued the bow something terrible. My fault for not practicing before hand, but I’ve spent a lot of time in a standard saddle and a jx3 is way more limiting with a bow. After that, I practiced out of it for about 20 shots, and got rid of it. You have to position your left side completely perpendicular to your target, which means walking around the tree.

As he mentioned it is a little different than using a regular saddle but I do not have any issues shooting a bow out of mine .it's worth it to me due to the comfort. Just have to practice and know how to position for the different shots and learn to setup correctly
© 2024 ALDEER.COM