Aldeer.com

Dang at the Acorns

Posted By: Bustinbeards

Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 03:08 PM

Not sure about you fellers, but we got a bumper crop of acorns around our place and they are raining down. Anyone else finding the same?
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 03:25 PM

Yep, the trees are loaded. I guess the wet summer did its job. Just hoping for an early, widespread frost or the deer are not going to have to move a whole lot.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 04:03 PM

Yep. Trees are loaded.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 05:31 PM

Ours are loaded also.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 05:57 PM

Just got back from the woods and they are on the ground.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 06:13 PM

Persimmons too
Posted By: JA

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 06:15 PM

Yes. Same at my place. Winds blew a lot on the ground but plenty still left to drop.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/21/20 08:30 PM

Hurricane knocked the one's here down to the ground. Guess these deer will have to eat food plots now.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 02:29 AM

Loaded.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 02:42 AM

At the club in Greenville, had a bunch of swamp chestnuts on the ground thanks to Sally
Posted By: JasperGlass

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 02:47 AM

Isn’t this like the 4th year in a row. When do these oaks take a break?
Posted By: Spec

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by JasperGlass
Isn’t this like the 4th year in a row. When do these oaks take a break?

Probably 6-7 yrs for us. Used to get a good crop every 4-5 yrs
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 05:23 AM

This means there will be a bumper crop of folks complaining that "we killed too many deer" because they aren't smart enough to realize that when acorns are plentiful the green fields become secondary. Less deer movement so fewer deer seen and killed by plot hunters.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 11:27 AM

Yep, you are correct sir. Some people can't see deer at a deer farm.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jawbone
This means there will be a bumper crop of folks complaining that "we killed too many deer" because they aren't smart enough to realize that when acorns are plentiful the green fields become secondary. Less deer movement so fewer deer seen and killed by plot hunters.

Exactly. It'll start within two weeks of gun season. "there's no deer, we've killed too many does, my neighbors kill all my deer".
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 01:19 PM

If anyone runs across some of the swamp white oaks or swamp chestnut oaks, or whatever they are called. I would like a dozen or so to sprout. I got about 6 a couple years ago, but on one sprouted. Thanks in advance
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
If anyone runs across some of the swamp white oaks or swamp chestnut oaks, or whatever they are called. I would like a dozen or so to sprout. I got about 6 a couple years ago, but on one sprouted. Thanks in advance

We've got some so I'll keep a lookout for you if I can beat the deer to them. They make about every 5 years so they should be due. they tend to drop though at the end of Oct. so we've got a little ways to go yet. I've always called them Swamp Chestnut Oaks.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/22/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper

I've got a contact of a guy who sells bare root oaks, and can ship, if you have any interest PM me.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Dang at the Acorns - 09/23/20 04:16 PM

Thanks jawbone.

Remington270, I appreciate it, but I'm a weirdo and like to sprout my own trees when possible. There's just something about starting a tree yourself and watching it grow through the years.

If anyone wants any sawtooth acorns, let me know I have several already hitting the ground.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM