Aldeer.com

7mm WSM good deer gun?

Posted By: smoothNcool

7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/05/11 08:04 PM

I just got a new 7mm WSM, It's a Winchester model 70. I sighted it in saturday and I love it! Haven't shot a deer with it yet. Anyone have any feedback on the 7mm WSM??

Thanks!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/05/11 09:04 PM

I've got an Abolt and shoot 140 gr Nosler BTs through it. I got it to carry "out West" and as a back up. I shot 1 deer (doe) in the head with it. Pretty much cut it off. Shot 1 big bodied 6X6 elk, made jello out of his lungs and heart. It would be bad news on power lines or bean fields. Way too much gun for where I hunt. I hunt deer in the timber and might shoot one bout 150 yards tops across a food plot..308 with 150 gr Hornady SSTs is my bush hog.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 12:08 AM

Way too much gun for southern whitetails...kills 'em too dead. laughup

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 12:28 AM

laugh laugh You can never have to much gun.
Posted By: Shuter II

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 12:38 AM

The results will about the same as a 7MM Rem Mag.

Ain't a nickel's worth of difference and the deer can't tell any difference.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 12:43 AM

i bought a winchester mod 70 stainless synthetic in 7mm wsm months ago and just scoped it up 2 weeks ago. so far it has made a mess out of a bobcat and coyote. shot a 120 lb doe thanksgiving morning and i sure love me some bang flop. too much gun for southern white tails is the normal statement from folks that think they cant handle the recoil. i am shooting federal fusion and i think i will be using this gun for years to come. if i had to complain about it, the only thing i would say is that i wish it held one more round.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:04 AM

Thanks I'm glad to hear from someone who likes the gun, I know I love mine so far. The recoil is not bad on mine either. No worse than a 30-06 to me.

Thanks alot!!
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:19 AM

I can buy 3 boxes of shells for my 30-06 to 1 box of WSM shells. That's enough reason for me to not want it. Other than that they are great.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:23 AM

Good point, a .308 is cheaper to feed!
Originally Posted By: scrubbuck
I can buy 3 boxes of shells for my 30-06 to 1 box of WSM shells. That's enough reason for me to not want it. Other than that they are great.
Posted By: Shuter II

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:26 AM

Pfffft! Deer hunter's talking about saving money? Hilarious.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:34 AM

How many times do y'all shoot a year?

Some people put in a lot of time at the range, and if you're one of them and cost is your excuse for not owning one, then hat's off to you.

However, if you don't shoot a box of shells a year like me, is that really a valid excuse? I go to the range one time before deer season comes in to check zero, and fire a 3 shot group. It's pretty much always dead on, and the only other shots I fire the rest of the year are at deer. I usually kill a good buck every year or two and 3 or 4 does, and I'm done.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:55 AM

Trip to the range, bout 20 does,1-3 bucks, couple of yotes, maybe a bobcat, it all adds up. I own one,here's my excuses, barrel is longer, heavier,louder, more recoil, only holds 3 in mag. Just too much gun for hunting in the timber.
Originally Posted By: hunterbuck

Some people put in a lot of time at the range, and if you're one of them and cost is your excuse for not owning one, then hat's off to you.

However, if you don't shoot a box of shells a year like me, is that really a valid excuse? I go to the range one time before deer season comes in to check zero, and fire a 3 shot group. It's pretty much always dead on, and the only other shots I fire the rest of the year are at deer. I usually kill a good buck every year or two and 3 or 4 does, and I'm done.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Boydawg
Trip to the range, bout 20 does,1-3 bucks, couple of yotes, maybe a bobcat, it all adds up. I own one,here's my excuses, barrel is longer, heavier,louder, more recoil, only holds 3 in mag. Just too much gun for hunting in the timber.
Originally Posted By: hunterbuck

the barrel length is the same as my winchester mod 70 .270

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 04:18 AM

I had a 300 weatherby before the 7mm WSM so the shells are cheaper for me. The 300 wby is about $70 a box. So cost is not the issue anymore.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 04:26 AM

My 7mm WSM is lighter than my 270 win. mod 70. And the barrels are the same length.
Posted By: BamaBart

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 07:50 AM

It's about the same as a 7mm Rem. Mag. but the ammo is harder to find. Just buy 4 or 5 boxes of what it shoots best and keep stocked up.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 11:18 AM

Myself, like many others, think if it has the word Mag behind it, it's too much gun for whitetails in the timber. I own a couple of mags, but the rifle I use is a Sako .308 Finnlight, what would you carry if you were me?
Posted By: JW

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 12:46 PM

That gun should work. As long as you are accurate with it and are confident with it, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

This being said, a guy brought me a Winchester model 70 in 300 WSM last year for me to sight in. My first time to shoot one of the WSM guns. All I have to say is that thing sucked. It kicked so bad I hated it. It was as bad as anything I have ever shot, that includes some senderos I have owned in the ultra mag calibers.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 02:59 PM

If there's deer hunting in heaven,chances are you'll be shooting a 7-08 or .308 Finnlight! wink
Originally Posted By: 7MAG
That gun should work. As long as you are accurate with it and are confident with it, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

This being said, a guy brought me a Winchester model 70 in 300 WSM last year for me to sight in. My first time to shoot one of the WSM guns. All I have to say is that thing sucked. It kicked so bad I hated it. It was as bad as anything I have ever shot, that includes some senderos I have owned in the ultra mag calibers.

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/06/11 11:39 PM

Thanks 4 the input guys. But I still like my 7mm WSM.

I didn't mean to start a magnum, non-magnum war!

OK maybe I did, laughup But just a small one.

Thanks Alot!!!
Posted By: Bamalefty

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/07/11 12:39 AM

I have a Browning Abolt in 7MMWSM and love it. I have killed two deer with it with NO problem at all. Doe dropped on the spot and a 6 pt was a 200 yard shot and it ran maybe 20 yards. Its not a heavy gun and shoots great. I do agree that you dont want to use it as a target shooting gun as the ammo is pretty pricey and hard to find. Mine likes the Federal Fusions the best.
Posted By: eightpt04

Re: 7mm WSM good deer gun? - 12/07/11 12:41 AM

I been having my winchester model 70 7mm wsm since 2004 and love it, I shoot winchester 140 bst . I shoot deer from 20 yards to 355 yards. shot plenty of deer and hogs with it and depends where you hit them is how bad you mess them up.Plus you don't have to track them to far on a bad shot.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM