Aldeer.com

war now declared on my coyotes

Posted By: norman

war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 12:51 AM

I got to witness, live and in person, a pair of coyotes take down a yearling doe this afternoon. If I live to be 100, I will never forget the sound that yearling made as these little bastards began removing her intestines and hind legs. I was able to kill one and I hopefully hit the second one somewhere but doubt it. I put the deer down but it was amazing how much damage these killing machines did in such a short amount of time.
Used to be you would catch a glimpse of a coyote every now and then on my place....I killed one yesterday and one for sure today.
Im not going to hunt them out, I dont believe its possible even if I wanted to. If I could, I would napalm the entire area, since I cant, Im going to poison the countryside. I know some of you guys are pros at this. What works best? poison? trot lines? traps?
Ive got very few yearlings left on my property, one less today. Im looking for any suggestions you guys can throw out.
Posted By: Shuter II

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 12:56 AM

Don't let Outback read this.......................
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 01:02 AM

Trap them and hunt them is the best way I know of. You can never kill them all, but you can put a hurting on them.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: norman
Im looking for any suggestions you guys can throw out.

I hate 'em too. My suggestion though is not to solicit advice on poisoning or using trot lines for those purposes on a public forum.
Posted By: BUCKCOMMANDER

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 01:12 AM

Years ago i knew a man who would get eggs from his chickens and use a needle to inject round up and anti freeze into them, then he set the eggs out in the areas where the coyotes were. the rest is history...
Posted By: smokeandbones

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 02:00 AM

Never tried this myself, but heard alot of people say soak sponges in bacon grease and cut it up into pieces. Put the sponges out where the coyotes are.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 02:47 AM

Good luck i say kill them anyway you can.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 03:02 AM

I know some chicken farmers that use cotton seed poison inject it into anything it kills 7 times never tried it though Always heard the sponges work ok to
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 03:16 AM

Take it from me DO NOT USE POISON! It is highly illegal to use it and the state dept of agriculture is on the lookout. I am licensed to sell it to my cotton customers only and if one were caught using it now the fines and jailtime arent worth it. Back in the day it was easier to get by with but now you accidentally kill someones pet FIFI and an autopsy will show it. Hunt them down use bait do whatever i hope they die a painful death but im just trying to save you a possible bad mistake!
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 03:36 AM

Ive been thinking about building a 10 x 10 pen with hog wire, cut a few smalls holes for the yotes to crawl through with snares set on each hole and gut each deer and throw the guts in the pen and hopefully catch the yotes coming through the fence
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 03:53 AM

Now thats a good idea!
Posted By: gobbler

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Take it from me DO NOT USE POISON! It is highly illegal to use it and the state dept of agriculture is on the lookout. I am licensed to sell it to my cotton customers only and if one were caught using it now the fines and jailtime arent worth it. Back in the day it was easier to get by with but now you accidentally kill someones pet FIFI and an autopsy will show it. Hunt them down use bait do whatever i hope they die a painful death but im just trying to save you a possible bad mistake!

I wouldn't worry about a fifi so much as a radio-tagged bald eaglet. That is what nailed the guys poisoning the quail plantations in GA and FL. Fines, jail time and loss of quail properties in some cases. The bald eagle was radio tracked from south FL and ended up eating a poisoned possum just across the GA line on a quail plantation loaded up with Furdan eggs. Good Luck grin

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 05:52 AM

Quote:
Years ago i knew a man who would get eggs from his chickens and use a needle to inject round up and anti freeze into them, then he set the eggs out in the areas where the coyotes were. the rest is history...

Round up has virtually no effect on mammals, it is a herbicide. Not sure how much anti freeze it takes to kill something but it IS highly toxic. Also illegal.

Quote:
Never tried this myself, but heard alot of people say soak sponges in bacon grease and cut it up into pieces. Put the sponges out where the coyotes are.

Have heard this one as well. I know a lot of "plantation" managers and a couple said they have tried this one on a couple penned "test subjects" and it has no effect on the animal.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: eskimo270
Ive been thinking about building a 10 x 10 pen with hog wire, cut a few smalls holes for the yotes to crawl through with snares set on each hole and gut each deer and throw the guts in the pen and hopefully catch the yotes coming through the fence

Would be great if it would work but I suspect that you would have a hard time convincing a yote to fall for this one!

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 06:00 AM

Without a doubt, this is the best way to rid yourself of a few coyotes:

Posted By: cahaba

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 07:29 AM

The sponges and bacon grease worked for a hairlipped man I met in Bruton,Al.

He said you had to get your sponges big enough but not to big.

Their club was finding fawn sculls everywhere. He said the club used to produce numbers as well as quality racks but when the yotes moved in they started seeing fewer and fewer deer. He said they did not overhunt it even a little bit.
Posted By: norman

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 01:06 PM

Ive had my place for 10 years now, about 5 years ago was when we started regularly seeing them on trail cams pics. Go back a few years and just about every doe had twins or triplets with her. Last saturday I had six adult does in front of me, not the first yearling with any of them.
So we all know whats happening, I think it just took seeing it (and having to hear it) first hand to get me to action. Ive shot three in the last two years but I know thats not going to get me anywhere.
I didnt realize that poison was as frowned upon as it is now and I guess I will have to find other ways.

If the state would put a small bounty on female coyotes, I believe our army of hunters would begin to effect their numbers.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 02:18 PM

Good substance in all of gobbler's posts above. I wish that I could live at the farm; I'd put a hurting on the coyotes with a bunch of #2 coil springs.

You'd probably never get a coyote to go into the 10x10 pen, but setting traps around a carcass station would be a good way to catch a few. Coyotes are so well-distributed now that there will always be some more to move in and take the place of those you trap. It makes me feel better to kill one anyway.
Posted By: North40R

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 04:46 PM

Traps are about your best bet and even at that you can't get them all! Coyotes move into an area and then move out when pressure turns up or food isn't as easy to find.

Trappers have been put out of business by our wonderful state game laws so now landowners are gonna have to pick up the slack and extra cost of learning to and trapping predators themselves! This is not easy or cheap if you truely wish to be effective!

I personally don't use poisons but if I planned to I certainly wouldn't be posting about it on a public forum!

Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 05:53 PM

[quote=gobbler]Without a doubt, this is the best way to rid yourself of a few coyotes:

[IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/gobbler06/land%20management/Nov0920110
06.jpg[/IMG] [/quote

+1
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 06:30 PM

DO NOT USE POISON. Dead eagles and other birds are the least of your worries. You could kill SOMEONE...much worse.
Posted By: bama7x57

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 07:05 PM

After seeing what my labs can eat AND pass, I don't think a sponge would phase a coyote.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
DO NOT USE POISON. Dead eagles and other birds are the least of your worries. You could kill SOMEONE...much worse.

esp if yer talking about Timic..one of my neighbors used it to kill several neighborhood cats/kittens. A day er so later he was in the hospital, took him a month to die. Hard. Bad stuff for sure.

It will kill a yote, the opossum that feeds on it, the fox that eats the opossum, the buzzard that eats any of it.....AND THE ANTS THAT FEED ON ALL. Bad juju.

leg traps are the only way to effectively control yotes. Period.

troy
Posted By: CAM

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/05/11 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
After seeing what my labs can eat AND pass, I don't think a sponge would phase a coyote.
laughup

Several weeks ago I wouldn't have found as much humor in that laugh
Posted By: dadbud

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 12:47 AM

ok here goes. Years ago i learned this in survival school. Put a razor blade in the ground, poor blood around the blade. The yote licks it and lays down and dies right there drinking his own blood. They are carnivores. This works but is highly illegal. It will also kill cats and dogs. smirk

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
Trappers have been put out of business by our wonderful state game laws so now landowners are gonna have to pick up the slack and extra cost of learning to and trapping predators themselves! This is not easy or cheap if you truely wish to be effective!

Curious how trappers have been put out of business by game laws? The fur business went out because of the anti's protesting, etc. Game law says you can trap yotes year round and other furbearers during normal seasons? Not bashing, just questioning wink
Posted By: 49er

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 02:57 PM

Looks to me like it's just the opposite.

Commercial trappers are allowed to lawfully trap protected fur-bearing animals in our state.

Trapping for the fun of it or to eradicate a nuisance species that is still protected by law as both a game animal and a fur-bearer (example: coyote) doesn't seem to jive with our game and fish laws:

Quote:
Section 9-11-245
Unlawful methods of hunting birds or animals protected by law or regulation.

No person shall at any time make use of any pitfall, deadfall, baited field, cage, trap, net, pen, baited hook, snare, poison, explosive, or chemical for the purpose of injuring, capturing, or killing birds or animals protected by law or regulation of this state. This section shall not prevent the trapping of animals classified as fur-bearing animals by a duly licensed fur catcher. It shall be legal to use a scaffold for gun hunting of all legal game species except wild turkey and to use a scaffold for bow hunting of all legal game species.
(Acts 1951, No. 1001, p. 1672, §2; Acts 1975, No. 195, p. 681, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-563, p. 1174, §1.)

Section 9-11-59
License to capture or kill fur-bearing animals for commercial purposes; traps.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to take, capture, or kill, or to attempt to take, capture, or kill for commercial purposes by any means or device any of the fur-bearing animals protected by the laws or regulations of this state without first procuring a license therefor, to be issued in the same manner as is provided for hunting and fishing licenses. Any person who has been a bona fide resident of this state for six months next preceding may procure a resident trapping license by paying the sum of $7.65. Any person who has not been a bona fide resident of this state for six months next preceding may procure a nonresident trapping license by paying the sum of $500.15. Any resident or nonresident when trapping for beaver only shall not be required to pay a license fee. A trapping license shall be valid only during the season when fur-bearing animals may be legally taken.

Posted By: AU .30-06

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 03:11 PM

Eskimo has the best idea so far. I agree with 270wbymag, poisoning is NOT worth it. Trap them and "choot 'em!" That makes one kill and doesn't accidentally spread the lethality beyond your intent.
Posted By: Clem

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 04:56 PM

Consistent, effective trapping is the best method.

Contact these people to find out how to get it done effectively.

http://atpca.org/default.aspx

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 05:13 PM

Thanks Clem.

Trapping probably is going to be the best method outside of a biological means, but don't count on fur sales being an incentive.

Color means an awful bunch when selling furs and the silver-grey ones bring the highest dollar. These dirty brown ones we have here are not much in demand. Not to mention the fur quality itself.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 05:33 PM

trappers wern't put out of business because of game laws. Like gobbler said, no demand for furs, prices dropped, fell out the bottom, trapping virtually stopped.

There wasn't much yote trapping going on then anyway compared to coons, red fox, etc. They just didn't bring the money and coons were, are, a hell of a lot easier to trap.

In 1980-81 you couldn't find a dead coon, opossum, fox on the roads. Buyers were paying $5 for an unskinned road kill opossum, and gas wasn't so high either. LOTS of folks were making routes to pick up road kills before work.

troy

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
trappers wern't put out of business because of game laws. Like gobbler said, no demand for furs, prices dropped, fell out the bottom, trapping virtually stopped.

There wasn't much yote trapping going on then anyway compared to coons, red fox, etc. They just didn't bring the money and coons were, are, a hell of a lot easier to trap.

In 1980-81 you couldn't find a dead coon, opossum, fox on the roads. Buyers were paying $5 for an unskinned road kill opossum, and gas wasn't so high either. LOTS of folks were making routes to pick up road kills before work.

troy

And there were some people who were running trap lines before work. wink

I had weeks where I made more money trapping than I did from my job. A good bobcat would bring $75, and a fox would bring $45. A really good coon would bring $25.

When I am elected governor, I'll have a bounty of at least $200 on coyotes. I'm gonna put an army into the woods to rid us of this plague.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 06:20 PM

Preacher, a LOT of folks were running lines before work, after work, all hours of the day and night.

I'd guess(long time ago) that probably 1/4 of the complaints I had then involved trespassing and illegal trapping. Lots of putting traps under every bridge over any size creek.

I remember good coons bringing $35. Seems everybody and their son, brother,cousin was trapping or picking up roadkills.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 06:33 PM

Preacher, a LOT of folks were running lines before work, after work, all hours of the day and night.

I'd guess(long time ago) that probably 1/4 of the complaints I had then involved trespassing and illegal trapping. Lots of putting traps under every bridge over any size creek.

I remember good coons bringing $35. Seems everybody and their son, brother,cousin was trapping or picking up roadkills.

I'm sure you did have a lot of trouble with rogue trappers. If my memory is right, they had to pass a law making it illegal to trap on the state or county ROW. Is that right?

I know there were guys running long lines of 100 miles or more that would set on the ROW, or just off it. I remember somebody having a trap right on the property line about 25 yds from our gate, and I had to let one of the neighbor's deer dogs out of it. I didn't mess with the trap because I thought it was his. I found out later that he didn't mess with it because he thought it was mine. Never did know who put it out. I heard similar stories a lot.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 06:34 PM

I remember when there was a $10 bounty on beaver tails turned in.

There were lots of trappers back then. Of course with inflation, $10 wouldn't be squat now.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: eskimo270

Would be great if it would work but I suspect that you would have a hard time convincing a yote to fall for this one!

I guess I could wait until they started coming before I put the snares out. If they didnt Ive got some fence building edumacation.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/06/11 10:04 PM

That bounty idea sounds good to me. I try to kill every one of the mangey bastards I see but have only shot 4 in my life. I've probably only seen 5-6 while hunting. I'd love to see a $200 bounty on them, pups included. The rabbit/rat populaton would still be kept in check by foxes, birds of prey, and snakes. We don't need yotes for anything in my opinion.

Dr. B

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/07/11 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
That bounty idea sounds good to me. I try to kill every one of the mangey bastards I see but have only shot 4 in my life. I've probably only seen 5-6 while hunting. I'd love to see a $200 bounty on them, pups included. The rabbit/rat populaton would still be kept in check by foxes, birds of prey, and snakes. We don't need yotes for anything in my opinion.

Dr. B

And before anybody can ask how I expect to pay for this program, I'll go ahead and give you the answer - raise taxes on the rich. That works for everything.

With ideas like this, I think I've got a great chance to win. wink

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/07/11 02:59 AM

PCP,
Quote:
And before anybody can ask how I expect to pay for this program, I'll go ahead and give you the answer - raise taxes on the rich. That works for everything.

With ideas like this, I think I've got a great chance to win.

Would you appoint a Commissioner of the DCNR that insists on continuing to classify coyotes as protected game animals while at the same time calling them a nuisance species?

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask. Does your idea of taxing the rich include taxing rich churches?
Posted By: slipn

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/07/11 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: North40R

Curious how trappers have been put out of business by game laws? The fur business went out because of the anti's protesting, etc. Game law says you can trap yotes year round and other furbearers during normal seasons? Not bashing, just questioning wink
i agree, low fur prices caused a disinterest in trapping many years ago - what our state game laws regarding trapping have done is to make it more difficult to effectively control coyotes and hogs - most of these laws were put in place before we had a major coyote or hog problem - jaw size restrictions and limiting snares to water only were implemented because of pressure from dog hunters - both deer and bird - aldcnr needs to step up to the plate and change trapping guidelines to include non-lethal snares and traps with larger jaw spreads and laminated jaws, both of which cause very little damage when used properly

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/07/11 04:39 PM

>>>Would you appoint a Commissioner of the DCNR that insists on continuing to classify coyotes as protected game animals while at the same time calling them a nuisance species? <<<

Whoever I appoint as Commissioner will be a total lackey who will only do what I tell him. Or her. This might be a good job to give me wife. My primary reason for running will be to increase the turkey population, and I will be personally involved in all of those decisions. All the other offices will be up for sale, like all the rest of the governors do. wink

And to answer your question, coyotes and all other critters that eat turkeys will be declared nuisance species. Not only will they have no protection, they will all have a bounty on them. There will also be a bounty on hogs. Not sure how many turkeys they eat, but they can ruin a chufa patch.

>>>Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask. Does your idea of taxing the rich include taxing rich churches?<<<

There are rich churches? Where? smile

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/07/11 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
>>> ...
>>>Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask. Does your idea of taxing the rich include taxing rich churches?<<<

There are rich churches? Where? smile

There's a few here and there:
Quote:
...Church of the Highlands opened a $4 million, 1,000-seat youth auditorium in September on the main campus.

Link:
Example

Some of them aren't doing too well lately though:
Cathedral of the Cross for sale - now only $3.4 million/ down from $5.4 million

I reckon we better get back to talking about killing coyotes before we stir something up, huh?? I ain't much of one to stir stuff up. grin
Posted By: Out back

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/08/11 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Shuter II

I'll say this, you're a thick-headed sumbeech. Coyotes are predators, and predators sometimes kill. I can see how a screaming fawn might tug at the heart strings of a girly-man but that's what happens in the real world. Mother Nature can be a cruel ol gal. If you've ever seen a deer starved to death, with a broken jaw, because some moron tried to make a head shot, you'd declare war on morons who make head shots. The fact is, neither can be eliminated, the coyotes or the morons, so we learn to live with them ... and occasionally kill one.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/08/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Out back

I'll say this, you're a thick-headed sumbeech. Coyotes are predators, and predators sometimes kill. I can see how a screaming fawn might tug at the heart strings of a girly-man but that's what happens in the real world. Mother Nature can be a cruel ol gal. If you've ever seen a deer starved to death, with a broken jaw, because some moron tried to make a head shot, you'd declare war on morons who make head shots. The fact is, neither can be eliminated, the coyotes or the morons, so we learn to live with them ... and occasionally kill one.

We only kill coyotes... we make bureaucrats out of the morons. thumbup

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/08/11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Out back

I'm certainly glad you have flip-flopped and realized the truth. Earlier, when you said, "Coyotes rarely kill a healthy deer or even fawns", I somehow knew you were ill informed and belligerent.

I think another thing that hurts the deer population and/or proliferation is the coyotes that eat the deer's food i.e. persimmons, muscadines, scuppernongs, etc.

When animals have no natural predators, oftentimes man has to step up and keep them in check.

Maybe now you won't try and convince otherwise.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 03:31 AM

I'm certainly glad you have flip-flopped and realized the truth. Earlier, when you said, "Coyotes rarely kill a healthy deer or even fawns", I somehow knew you were ill informed and belligerent.

Maybe now you won't try and convince otherwise.

I haven't changed my position, I still say "Coyotes rarely kill a healthy deer or even fawns".
I remain convinced that not even the coyotes, and the morons combined, are responsible for a 65% annual mortality rate.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 04:02 AM

This may sound like a stupid uninformed question to some of you but, here goes. How did the yotes come to be around here. I have heard that fox hunters brought them from out west to take the place of decimated fox populations. I have heard that they migrated east. I have heard that they escaped from test facilities and that aliens brought them. LOL (not the aliens from Mexico) Any idea how they really came to be residents of Alabama?

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 12:47 PM

Preacher, mostly they migrated east from Texas, etc. If them dang Texans had manned up and done their job we wouldn't have any here laugh

Some were brought into the state by those that wanted to chase em with dogs, but I believe that they were already here before most of the latter happened.

Outback, "coyotes rarely kill....fawns" may just be the stupidist statement made on ALL the coyote threads combined. You can't REALLY believe that...???? crazy

troy

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 01:23 PM

Troy, the problem I see with the "migrated from TX" theory is that a 60 lb coyote is unheard of in TX and common in AL. How did they get so much bigger on their trip?

I maintain that the AL coyote is not the same critter as the one in TX and other western states. They are all crossed up with dogs, and much bigger and meaner.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Troy, the problem I see with the "migrated from TX" theory is that a 60 lb coyote is unheard of in TX and common in AL. How did they get so much bigger on their trip?

I maintain that the AL coyote is not the same critter as the one in TX and other western states. They are all crossed up with dogs, and much bigger and meaner.

pcp in my area, the coyotes were bigger when they first started being seen in the early 80's. The longer they have stayed here, the more normal sized (and color) they have become. I've killed a bunch of them and I've weighed a bunch of them over the years. I figure when the population was lower they bred with dogs more regularly, and those genes are now getting diluted which is responsible for the size getting more normal. I rarely see a "big" coyote and I also rarely see an off colored coyote. Both were common here 20 years ago.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 02:55 PM

Preacher, I agree on the size difference. The yotes we killed in Wyoming weighed 20-25 pounds, but they looked bigger because of the longer hair.

I weighed on in Hale Co years ago the pulled the scales to 55 pounds, solid black male yote.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/09/11 08:26 PM

You guys may have something on the size being bigger years ago. Now that I think about it, all the really big ones I've seen or killed were when they first moved in..
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/10/11 12:49 AM

I got some guys near me that we let hunt them with hounds after deer season and during the summer.

We have/see/hear very few yotes. Some have moved in this fall. I talked with the guy the other day and he said to call after deer season and he would take care of them. No doubt he will, all of them. He'll go back until they are all gone.
Posted By: coachwill

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/10/11 03:53 PM

Well coyotes have been spotted in Alabama since at least the 1920's and with the removal of the wolf population from the Southeastern US the coyote has moved up the food chain. I have witnessed first hand; since the late 70's when I started hunting; what coyotes are capable of and how they can practically eliminate a deer population from an area.

There are some great ways to eliminate coyotes and they all start with prey calls, trap and a nice shooting rifle. I wish they would allow hunting with suppressors because I believe that will allow those of us willing to exterminate the creatures to have the upper hand.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/10/11 11:52 PM

Outback, "coyotes rarely kill....fawns" may just be the stupidist statement made on ALL the coyote threads combined. You can't REALLY believe that...???? crazy

troy

Why can't I believe that?
I grew up on a cattle farm, rarely ever had a calf killed by coyotes. They'd eat a dead calf before sunrise, but rarely attack one. I'm in the woods 2 or 3 days a week, year round, and rarely ever find a deer carcass, unless it's hunting season. Even when I do find a carcass, it's usually not evident how the deer died. Coyotes will eat almost anything, and something already dead is a bonus, to them. My pointer evidently thinks the same way, he loves nothing better than to woller all over a stinking carcass. I've seen your pictures of dead fawns, half eaten by coyotes, but do know (without a doubt) they killed it? I believe what I see, not what I read, and not what someone else tells me to believe.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 12:42 AM

you can believe anything ya want to.

I'll stand by my original statement.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:17 AM

you can believe anything ya want to.

I'll stand by my original statement.

I can't argue with that logic.
How do you feel about the human danger, that most folks claim, presented by coyotes? From my personal encounters with coyotes (many of them) I've never been threatened by them. I've had dozens of people tell me about coyotes trailing them out of the woods, but that's never happened to me, not once, in nearly 40 years of hunting. Someone can always tell you a story "they heard" about somebody being attacked by coyotes. My experience has been just opposite, one look at me and they high tail it for the next county. So how about your opinion? Are you afraid of them, like everyone "says" we should be?

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:36 AM

never been followed, attacked, or skeered of a yote. I believe, not that I'd try it, I could kill one barehanded. They ain't nothing but a medium size dog and I dang sure ain't skeered of them.

I believe that in areas where the yotes are accustomed to human closeness and no danger from humans they become bolder. In some areas they have attacked children, not in Al that I know of. But I could see a large yote attacking a toddler. Any yote that DOSEN'T run at yer sight NEEDS killing immediately.

I have been attacked TWICE by feral dogs. Once in 1981 er so by four on Allen Acres, near Moundville. I killed three of them coming at me and my two daughters, beat one of em off my two year old with my rifle and kicking, trying to reload. Did so and ended the problem. An unarmed hunters wife walking her children would of ended tragically in this case.

Other time was 1986 er so, I approached four small black curs killing a fawn, and the biggest, 35#, came for me...stupid move as I was holding my 25/06!! But there was no doubt that he meant business.

In Alabama at least, feral dogs pose a much greater danger to humans than any yote ever did.

no charge and worth every penny....

troy
Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:37 AM

Outback,why wouldn't a coyote kill a fawn? coyote are very resourceful and will eat persimmons ,fruit or anything else they can find or kill. and they are capable of killing about anything in the woods.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:38 AM

Troy, just curious ... why are the feral dogs more aggressive, mean, etc., than the yotes?

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:44 AM

just like a bottle fed buck deer, they ain't scared of us as much. And also the "pack mentality". Most times ya see a yote it's by itself.

Same place I shot the single dog I had three of the survivors follow me to me stand one evening, too far for a bow shot. I got to thinking about getting down in the dark and went back to the truck and got a rifle. I think I eventually killed all of those dogs.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Troy, just curious ... why are the feral dogs more aggressive, mean, etc., than the yotes?

I'm not Troy, but yotes have more fear of man.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:54 AM

Thanks.

Is that something genetic, perhaps? Would the same correlate to wolves?

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: frezznh2o
Outback,why wouldn't a coyote kill a fawn? coyote are very resourceful and will eat persimmons ,fruit or anything else they can find or kill. and they are capable of killing about anything in the woods.

They WILL kill fawn ... I never said they wouldn't, I said they RARELY do. Some predators are killers, others are scavengers. Coyotes are primarily scavengers, they kill when there's nothing else available. You and I are also capable of killing anything on earth, but we'll go to McDonald's more often because it takes less effort and less time.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 03:22 AM

never been followed, attacked, or skeered of a yote. I believe, not that I'd try it, I could kill one barehanded. They ain't nothing but a medium size dog and I dang sure ain't skeered of them.

In Alabama at least, feral dogs pose a much greater danger to humans than any yote ever did.

no charge and worth every penny....

troy

So ... can we accurately say, based on YOUR personal experience, that you do not believe the published "studies" nor the popular myths about coyotes being a public danger?

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Thanks.

Is that something genetic, perhaps? Would the same correlate to wolves?

I wouldn't think fear is actually in the chromosomes. Maybe a learned behavior over generations of breeding the dogs that have less fear.

What good is a dog that high tails it everytime he sees his master?

Hell I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 11:55 AM

Outback, I didn't say the couldn't be a danger, or that they haven't been a danger elsewhere. I said I didn't know of any attacks on children IN Alabama. Not the same as it hasn't happened, just I don't personally know of any such attacks.

I'd hazzard a guess that yotes are considered a danger by some in California where they have had several attacks by coyotes on children. Same with mountain lions there. Seems the lack of folks shooting them makes em bolder and more dangerous.

Folks here usually just shoot em. I had an 80 year old woman call me years ago about yotes coming in her yard. I told her tthere wasn't much I personally could do, but she could get someone to shoot them. She called back a few nights later and said she killed one and hit another. SHE shot em out her bedroom window with a shotgun. thumbup

troy
Posted By: thirtyotsix

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 02:56 PM

This guy got attacked

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 03:03 PM

I've seen that buck attack, floating around the internet, for about 3 or 4 years. The date gets changed, the buck gets bigger, and one video even showed the same buck being attacked by leprechauns.
Posted By: thirtyotsix

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 08:41 PM

Maybe so but it still just does not change the fact that yotes are becoming a problem. Just because they have ran from you and in your more than forty years of hunting they have never bothered you only makes that your experience. Trust me they will come after you and also wreck a deer herd. I have seen it first hand as did the guy who started this post, and that is my experience with them. Also if I saw leprechauns in the woods I would not go back.

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/11/11 09:10 PM

If y'all want to save posting this all again, and those reading want to see where this ends up, read this:
http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=208634#Post208634

and this:
http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=217589#Post217589

It doesn't end pretty grin
Posted By: kat

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/13/11 01:53 AM

Just an FYI, I think I mentioned this during the last coyote killing/fawn raising thread. But, if anyone is interested in learning how to trap with their kids, the DCNR has youth trapping workshops across the state. Some of which have already been completed, just look on their website. I've heard its a good program and a good way to get your kiddos interested in an outdoors activity. I trapped a lot in my youth and was fortunate enough to have a couple of uncles that taught me. It's definitely the best management tool to reduce your predator populations.
Posted By: ALBuckSlayer

Re: war now declared on my coyotes - 12/18/11 04:50 PM

It has been legalized to hunt coyotes at night now if you fill out the proper paper work with your district office. You can do it during deer or spring turkey season though. I recently bought an electronic caller. Me and some of our club members are going to give it a go in February. Sounds like it works out best to hunt in pairs with one person operating the call and acting as the spotter. The other person is obviously the shooter. There is a good article on the Alabama Outdoor News website.

http://www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=2381&cid=26
© 2024 ALDEER.COM