Aldeer.com

Hypothetical Research Question

Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff

Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 06:48 PM

If AU researchers were interested in getting information on attitudes and opinions of deer hunters, and we created an online survey (which would be 100% anonymous), how many of you would fill out the survey? We're trying to figure out the best way to get information on hunters.

The ultimate goal of the research would be to use the information that is learned to better satisfy hunters.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 06:54 PM

I would. Good to see your posting. thumbup
Posted By: Clem

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 06:55 PM

Deer hunters anywhere, or just deer hunters in Alabama?

Either way, I'd do it.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 06:57 PM

We aren't sure at this time. We don't have the research questions, just some general discussions on what we could do, and so we are also considering the best way to poll and get adequate sample size..
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 07:11 PM

Hey Dr. Ditchkoff. I think you would get a lot of participants from the site. Also, the fact that it would be a non-DCNR survey wouldn't hurt participation either.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 07:12 PM

I would and I'm sure there's gonna be a bunch of folks get on here and say they would too....BUT....I'm guessing that when the time comes that there won't be anywhere near the same amount of participation. That's not to hack on anyone its just the reality of it. You would almost have to incentivize it in some way I believe.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 07:22 PM

How many folks would actually go and take a survey for a bonus buck tag or something of that nature?

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 07:56 PM

Glad to see you back, Doc.

I'd update my original statement to say if the survey is incentivized or tied in with the department or any kind of tag thing, I woudn't participate.

People shouldn't have to be given a trophy and ice cream all the time just to provide honest input.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 08:03 PM

They shouldn't have to but you won't get half the participants to actually take the survey that will get on this thread and say they will. The day that email comes across the screen they'll at best procrastinate and say they'll do it later....many will likley just pass right over it. Tell them they can have an extra buck tag though and people would probably stand iine to take the survey and then never even fill the extra tag

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 08:15 PM

I'd rather get honest answers than something from the Society of Gimmie spurred by trying to get a chance at a buck tag.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 08:37 PM

Offering an incentive to take the survey has nothing to do with the amount of "honest" information obtained. "Incentives matter" is a basic economic principle. Offering an incentive is just a way to get the behavior you're wanting to happen. In this case it's to simply take the survey....it has nothing to do with how it is answered
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 09:31 PM

Steve, Aldeer is happy to help however we can. You have my direct email and let me know how I can help.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 11:13 PM

We don’t have “buck tags” anyway
Posted By: jb20

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/06/20 11:14 PM

Id fill it out...itd b nice to know my opinion somewhat mattered
Posted By: MC21

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:01 AM

I would fill it out. As long as not to much personal Information is required and the link was posted on here. If the links not posted on here I probably won’t see it.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:12 AM

I’d fill it out
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:45 AM

Yes, no incentive needed
Posted By: blade

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:46 AM

Yep, I’d fill it out. No need for payment.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:50 AM

Just for anyone who may be interested in reading it...……

https://fee.org/articles/the-power-of-incentives/
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:58 AM

Yeah I do the turkey one for the state already
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 01:06 AM

Just having access to the end result is incentive enough I believe.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 02:44 AM

I would like to participate in your survey.

Just a bit of advice. Don't mention any involvement by the DCNR or Chuck Sykes if you want a high response rate on Aldeer. rofl
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 03:11 AM

Count me in.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 09:16 AM

For a study conducted by a respected biologist that I thought might do some good for the wildlife or the hunter, sure.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 11:53 AM

Yes
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:21 PM

Absolutely Doc. Anything to help.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 12:59 PM

In---- Doc---Ernie
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/07/20 04:00 PM

I’ll participate.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/08/20 12:16 AM

I’m in
Posted By: bigt

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/08/20 04:35 AM

absolutely
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/08/20 05:17 PM

I would.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/08/20 08:27 PM

Yes.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/08/20 09:10 PM

I will fill it out.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 01:06 AM

Welcome Back Doctor. Many here respect you and appreciate the information you give us.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 01:10 AM

Yes, can you give us an example of a question or 2.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 03:04 AM

Yes
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 06:02 AM

I'd do one
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 10:22 AM

I’m in
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 11:24 AM

Yep. sounds good.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
Welcome Back Doctor. Many here respect you and appreciate the information you give us.

X2
Posted By: garyo

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/09/20 01:39 PM

I would
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/10/20 11:58 PM

Steve, so good to see you back on Aldeer.

I would be more than happy to participate in a survey.

No incentive needed here.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 01:36 PM

Sorry...I don't have any questions to give you at this time. The main point of the post was to gauge the willingness of aldeer folks to fill out a survey...nothing more. If we do choose to conduct some survey work, and if the social science experts we work with choose to post the survey to aldeer (they're the experts and so will have to decide where the most suitable locations to get survey respondents to ensure accuracy of data, non-bias, etc.), then there will include a full description of what, why, how, etc.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question. Hopefully at some point down the road there will be a link posted on aldeer where you can go and fill out a survry.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 02:01 PM

I would

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 02:36 PM

Glad to see you are getting the Social Science folks to QC the survey. That is what they do for a living.
Posted By: El_Matador

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 05:29 PM

I’d fill it out.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 05:54 PM

I would.
Posted By: 280MtnRifle

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 06:29 PM

I'd fill it out.
Posted By: foghorn

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/11/20 10:49 PM

Absolutely
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/12/20 12:40 PM

I'm in.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/12/20 03:28 PM

Im in
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/13/20 12:03 PM

I would.
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/13/20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Ditchkoff
Sorry...I don't have any questions to give you at this time. The main point of the post was to gauge the willingness of aldeer folks to fill out a survey...nothing more. If we do choose to conduct some survey work, and if the social science experts we work with choose to post the survey to aldeer (they're the experts and so will have to decide where the most suitable locations to get survey respondents to ensure accuracy of data, non-bias, etc.), then there will include a full description of what, why, how, etc.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question. Hopefully at some point down the road there will be a link posted on aldeer where you can go and fill out a survry.

“Accuracy. non-bias.” On an internet forum? Sure, what could go wrong with that?
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/13/20 05:37 PM

IN
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/13/20 10:14 PM

Absolutely.
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/14/20 02:26 AM

If AU researchers were interested in getting information on attitudes and opinions of deer hunters, and we created an online survey (which would be 100% anonymous), how many of you would fill out the survey? We're trying to figure out the best way to get information on hunters.

The ultimate goal of the research would be to use the information that is learned to better satisfy hunters.

Hey Doc, did you have land in Chambers County.? We used to have a neighbor at our lease, that was a game biologist from Auburn.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/14/20 02:08 PM

count me in

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/14/20 02:47 PM

No...wasn't me.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/14/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Orion34

“Accuracy. non-bias.” On an internet forum? Sure, what could go wrong with that?

That is why they are having Social Science folks build the survey. They know how to frame and ask questions and they can sort out the garbage. When you launch a survey at 250k people you need an expert to do it right.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/14/20 09:54 PM

In
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/20/20 08:15 PM

More than happy to
Posted By: JBL

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/21/20 12:25 PM

I would

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/27/20 02:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Posted By: foghorn

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/27/20 11:28 PM

Love to help
Posted By: flgator

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/28/20 02:13 AM

I would as well
Posted By: Tracker

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/28/20 04:47 PM

I'm your huckelberry
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 05/28/20 08:17 PM

The movie scene came to mind of Tom Cruise's character Jerry Maquire, when (in bathroom scene) Jerry (Jerry is you, Dr. Ditchkoff) got so frustrated with his client (Rod Tidwell is Alabama hunters) when all Jerry's trying to do is help his client, Rod Tidwell. "Help me help you!!!!!" Most of Alabama hunters (outdoors ppl) understand the need for information and data. However, there are some hunters that just won't let you, or the state, or any government entity help them and help make it all better for all of us... including the game or fish that's being harvested.

Thanks for trying to improve it for the good of us all!!
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 06/10/20 02:53 PM

thumbup
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 04:13 PM

The states job is not to satisfy hunters , it's job is to do what's is best for the deer herd .
Posted By: Out back

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie
The states job is not to satisfy hunters , it's job is to do what's is best for the deer herd .

Thank you sir.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 05:04 PM

Happy to help.

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie

I disagree.....I believe it to be a balancing act between both. Of course when push comes to shove doing what's best to insure the long term sustainability of the deer herd trumps hunter satisfaction if it comes down to it.....however, is things are being managed well enough then there is plenty of wiggle room within the states management decisions to allow for different things that the hunting public expresses they would like see happen take place in the process. Hunter satisfaction plays a big role in it because its the hunters' dollars in many instances that pay for the herd to be taken care of in the first place. If hunters aren't happy and helping to support the endeavor.... then there's no money to do what's best, worst or anything in between. The powers that be have a heck of juggling act to pull off. It could be a whole lot simpler if the hunting public was more educated and had a better overall understanding of deer and habitat, etc.....That's tough to do though when very few are open to learn anything new and many folks already know it all. Many of the loudest opinions are the least knowledgeable or the most closed off to listening to a different opinion than what they already believe to know.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 09:48 PM

Cnc ,,, that's in the end still doing what's best for the herd . . You do what's best for the herd opportunities will be there
Posted By: centralala

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/02/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

It could be a whole lot simpler if the hunting public was more educated and had a better overall understanding of deer and habitat, etc......

That sounds like the Commissioner needs to be doing a better job at his job.

"In addition to his or her role as custodian of the state's land and wildlife, the commissioner is charged with "[carrying] on a program of education and public enlightenment with respect to the wildlife and other natural resources."

Re: Hypothetical Research Question - 07/03/20 02:57 AM

I hear you.....pretty tough crowd to try and teach anything new to though...... grin

One of the biggest problems we've had over the last couple of decades with deer management has come from not understanding the complete impact the coyote would have as it established its foot hold more and more....How could we have known for sure though until it played out....a lot of it has been speculation and limited research ....Heck, its really still playing out right now and we're still learning more. I suspect we'll have to make more changes in the future as a result if hunters habits don't change before hand.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM